PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Short Circuit for Brands Next Year

Hink
05-16-03, 03:46 PM
According to Autosport, through www.F1-live.com :

"Pook also ruled out the use of the full-length GP circuit at Brands Hatch next year, because the cost of upgrading the British track to accommodate CART's series would be prohibitive.

"I don't think we'll get there, as much as we want it done," he added. "The long circuit is a $850,000 fix." "

Not fun.

pchall
05-16-03, 04:41 PM
When 85K show up for the season finale at Fontana I'll be there taking $10 donations to the Brands Hatch GP circuit renovation fund.

:)

RaceChic
05-16-03, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by pchall
When 85K show up for the season finale at Fontana I'll be there taking $10 donations to the Brands Hatch GP circuit renovation fund.

:)

I think that's $10.00 better spent than the extra $10.00 for an Indy500 ticket next year.......:gomer:

Gurneyflap
05-16-03, 08:09 PM
Not surprised but very disappointed. I don't think I'd enjoy watching Kobe dunk in a half-court game with 8 ft. baskets as much either.

Dr. Corkski
05-17-03, 05:18 AM
I bet the Miami "Race" (using that term as loosely as possible) must have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than 850k. :shakehead:

Kiwifan
05-17-03, 06:27 AM
I talked to a guy yesterday who spent a couple of years at Brands a few years back. He thought the Champ cars would have run the long circuit but admited the course needed work even back when he was there.

It reminds me of our local track here in Timaru. Once upon a time drivers came from all over the world to race at Levels but the cars are now too big and powerful for the track. Tis a real shame as I know Brandsis fun to race on the Playstation. ;)

Rusty.

cartmanoz
05-17-03, 07:29 AM
Well, if they fix up the fuel rules, hopefully it won't be as bad.

TrueBrit
05-17-03, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by cartmanoz
Well, if they fix up the fuel rules, hopefully it won't be as bad.

That will be the key...They will, I am sure, eventually race on the GP track, and if they put on an even more exciting race than this year I believe the fans will be clamouring for it..

TB

pchall
05-18-03, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Kiwifan

It reminds me of our local track here in Timaru. Once upon a time drivers came from all over the world to race at Levels but the cars are now too big and powerful for the track. Tis a real shame as I know Brands is fun to race on the Playstation. ;)

Rusty.

Interesting point. A lot of great circuits have aged prematurely because the cars are too long and too powerful. It would be a lot simpler to tinker with he chassis regs and and engine formulae than to rebuild the great tracks.

Railbird
05-18-03, 09:01 AM
It would be a lot simpler to tinker with he chassis regs and and engine formulae than to rebuild the great tracks

I agree completely, plus, the proper tinker just might turn some of the marginal circuits into something worth racing on.

WickerBill
05-19-03, 11:46 AM
We can say "decrease the wheelbase" till the cows come home, but nobody's acting on it. Maybe in 05 with the new engine regs?

WB

Ankf00
05-19-03, 06:16 PM
I think purchasing raceworks LLC cost Pook 1.3 mil... fuzzy memory from what I remember from looking at a CART financial summary 4 months ago. Somehow that's worth it and Brands isnt? :(

nrc
05-19-03, 08:11 PM
They're running the short course in Miami, too. :p

It's hard to say how much money spent getting the short course up to snuff this year. They simply can't afford to put the money into the long course for next year. Maybe once things get back on an even keel.

Dr. Corkski
05-19-03, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by nrc
They're running the short course in Miami, too. :pWhat's that, 400 laps around the fountain?