PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Winter Olympics in British Columbia .. anyone going?

racermike
03-05-08, 03:49 PM
Since the price of tickets is gonna be astronomical, I am going through initial stages of paperwork to volunteer for some of the skiing events up in Whistler.

I figure thats the best way to see and be involved with it, and not have to pay a bloody fortune to do so.

Anyone else planning, or thinking of trying to attend in 2 years?

cameraman
03-05-08, 04:24 PM
Considering that at the rate it is going in two years $1CDN = $2USD or more plus the tickets/hotels/restaurants are going to crazy expensive even before you factor in the exchange rate... I'll watch it on TV.

By the way if you are volunteering you are not going to see much if any of the event you are working. I know people who spent a large portion of the Salt Lake Olympics directing traffic in a satellite parking lot or working crowd control in front of the venue. One guy worked the ski jumping - he spent the entire time in a windowless room typing numbers into a computer. It is interesting and all but it isn't the same as attending an event.

opinionated ow
03-05-08, 04:35 PM
Take it from somebody who has lived in an olympic city.....get involved as much as you can. Buy tickets (I know the cheap ones are horrendous) because itsw more than likely it will only happen near you once in a lifetime.

Ankf00
03-05-08, 04:58 PM
Take it from somebody who has lived in an olympic city.....get involved as much as you can. Buy tickets (I know the cheap ones are horrendous) because itsw more than likely it will only happen near you once in a lifetime.

1996, 2002, 2010,

olympics are old hat these days ;)

cameraman
03-05-08, 05:02 PM
Events like the biathlon and the cross country skiing were very easy & inexpensive to get tickets for and were a lot of fun to watch. The downhill events are always extremely crowded and expensive. Figure skating, forget about it. Short track speed skating was easy to get tickets for, I don't know why. Regular speed skating was fun to watch too. The bobsled track & jumping facility was sold out in an instant. Hockey tickets depended on the countries involved. Early games between Togo & Nowhereistan were easy to get but that might be different in Canada. Women's hockey, you could get tickets at game time. We made it to quite a few events without going broke but we chose carefully.

opinionated ow
03-05-08, 06:48 PM
1996, 2002, 2010,

olympics are old hat these days ;)

time to give the rest of the world a chance...dammit :p :p

last olympics for north america for 30 years...please (give one to the kiwis or something like that):rofl:

dando
03-05-08, 06:59 PM
last olympics for north america for 30 years...please (give one to the kiwis or something like that)

No dice. I've heard they have hobbits, dwarves and such there....and sheep shagging is apparently the sport of choice. :D ;)

http://sheep.youssouf.com/sheeplog/blogimages/sheep_transported_on_motorcycle.gif

Or is that you Ozzie's? I can't keep that straight. :p

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-05-08, 10:28 PM
As the world leader in performance-enhancing drugs, its only fitting that we get more Olympics than everyone else.

racermike
03-05-08, 11:46 PM
As the world leader in performance-enhancing drugs, its only fitting that we get more Olympics than everyone else.

Not too far from the "all drug Olympics"

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/all-drug-olympics-p1.php

cameraman
03-06-08, 01:51 AM

Oh please, Americans are complete and total wankers in comparison to the skilled chemists of the Austria cross country ski team and any of the tour de France teams.

dando
03-06-08, 10:15 AM
Oh please, Americans are complete and total wankers in comparison to the skilled chemists of the Austria cross country ski team and any of the tour de France teams.

Or the doping of the eastern block countries in the 70s. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-06-08, 01:22 PM

it wouldn't be kind to our australian friends on the board to exclude their most excellent cricket side from this discussion of the elite of the elite :)

JoeBob
03-06-08, 02:10 PM
I'd love to go, but I have no idea if I'll have the budget to support it. Heck, I barely know how to start thinking about it.

I'd love to know more from those who have gone!

G.
03-06-08, 02:37 PM
it wouldn't be kind to our australian friends on the board to exclude their most excellent cricket side from this discussion of the elite of the elite :)

like this?

mildly NSFW

kTWOk6slU_Y

TravelGal
03-06-08, 03:11 PM
We'd love to go. I went to Lake Placid (preTravelGuy days). The last Olympics when it was at least close to a sports event and not a world wide media circus. Traded pins with people on the street; most people didn't even have them or know what they were. Watched Eric Hayden's fifth gold medal ceremony on the frozen lake itself. Saw the US hockey game BEFORE the "do you believe in miracles" game. :mad:

TravelGuy and I went to LA, even though we lived in San Diego at the time. It was a lottery by then for most events but not to hard to get tickets if you didn't mind sitting in God's lap in the Coloseum for track and field. Just HAPPENED to be about 30 feet away from Mary Lou Retton when she did that "10" however.

TravelGuy and I also went to Calgary. Warmest winter Olympics on record. Got back lots of money because events we had in the first week were rescheduled to the second week. Saw curling for the first time. Fascinating when you have someone explain it to you. Otherwise ???? LOL. People were bailing and going home or not coming at all so we picked up tickets to various things. Lotteried into the 90 m ski jump. :D

Learned how to snoop around at 5 or 6 AM at the ticket offices. That when the "extras" were sold again. heheheh. Saw the "Battle of the Brians" that way. Two seats INSIDE (lol) at face value to see Brian Boitano and Brian Orser square off in the men's final figure skating.

So, it can be done. Right now I'm more concerned about getting a place to stay for less than the national debt of Ecuador.

dando
03-06-08, 03:16 PM
More like this:

bTxM3NA6JkM

-Kevin

extramundane
03-17-08, 11:47 PM

Or, apparently, German pool players (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7923510?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002). :saywhat: