PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What will be the effect?

oddlycalm
03-04-08, 06:25 PM
Now that the absorption of CCWS has happened, what do you think the long term effect will be? Lets say it is 20012. Will the IRL be more successful, less successful or stay about the same as it is now? Or, will it be around at all?

oc

SurfaceUnits
03-04-08, 07:16 PM
Now that the absorption of CCWS has happened, what do you think the long term effect will be? Lets say it is 20012. Will the IRL be more successful, less successful or stay about the same as it is now? Or, will it be around at all?

oc
wit dee idjit gran sons recard of pleezing fans, ide say Robert Clarke will be running it with honda ownership by 2012.

Cam
03-05-08, 08:05 AM
"More successful than it is today" Leading with twice as many votes as the next?

Did someone post a link to this at TF? :saywhat:

mueber
03-05-08, 08:55 AM
Ya need a "Who gives a rat's butt," foil.

That said, I voted, "Same as it is today." Cuz it'll be the limping along on Tonyfare "Same as it is today" until the Gomerville Invitational becomes a NASCAR race. I'll be at the suprisingly vigorous ALMS races.

extramundane
03-05-08, 09:18 AM
F*** Spicoli.

Warlock!
03-05-08, 09:39 AM
"More successful than it is today" Leading with twice as many votes as the next?

Did someone post a link to this at TF? :saywhat:

I voted that it would be more successful than today. I won't be one of 'em making it successful, but I know a couple dozen old-school Earl "haters" who are starting to taste the Kool-aid. That's already a 10% increase in fandom. :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
03-05-08, 10:48 AM
same.

Tony aint gonna do anything to promote races other than the GomerNational 497.5.

I say we get TwinkleToes CastroNeves and PT out for a three lap shootout on Carb Day - or mebbe "Bump Day" when there is nothing else going on except fake traditional activities at the track - so we can decide the "real winner" of the 2002 IRL 500...

other than that - its another drone fest with the krapwagens :tony:

Insomniac
03-05-08, 11:42 AM
I can't vote. It's hard for me to even try and figure out how this may go. I hope it's more successful than it is today (and that it looks like CART by then (cars, tracks, sponsors, etc.)), but it's just way too early for me to even guess.

dando
03-05-08, 11:47 AM

oc

I myself think it will be the about the same. However, this depends on the new chassis and engine package for '10, and whether any new mfgs are attracted to the sport. If the new chassis is just a new crapwagon, then this could go in the tank by year 101 of the Indy 500.

-Kevin

JLMannin
03-05-08, 12:31 PM
Same as it is today.

Chief
03-05-08, 01:47 PM
I think wagering that the series future is based on some future spec (front engine; pushrod; 1.8L turbo; et al) is a foolish bet. I can't believe some of you would be willing to stick around that long.

The time for action has passed.....it's the UNITED CRAP series because the guy in charge has no vision now, or in the foreseeable future. It's mid-70's USAC now, enjoy it. Dead and buried for me....

Don Quixote
03-05-08, 02:22 PM
I voted worse off. Both series were in a death spiral decline in cars, fans, eyeballs and relevance. Sorry, but I don't see that trend reversing. The remergercrapification had about a one day tiny blip in the media coverage, then nothing. Many fans on both sides are unhappy with the new formula, too many ovals, not enough ovals, too many foreigners, etc, etc. The idiot is still in charge. The cars are awful. The owners are all greedy slimeballs. The manufacturer interest is little to none. And so on.

patski
03-05-08, 02:31 PM
I voted worse off. Both series were in a death spiral decline in cars, fans, eyeballs and relevance. Sorry, but I don't see that trend reversing. The remergercrapification had about a one day tiny blip in the media coverage, then nothing. Many fans on both sides are unhappy with the new formula, too many ovals, not enough ovals, too many foreigners, etc, etc. The idiot is still in charge. The cars are awful. The owners are all greedy slimeballs. The manufacturer interest is little to none. And so on.

I can not see it making it to 2012 with TG and his idiots followers in charge. And I doubt you will ever see a new car.

Napoleon
03-05-08, 05:42 PM

Same vote for the same reason.

Indy
03-05-08, 08:10 PM
I think it will get better. It almost has to.

dando
03-05-08, 08:22 PM
I think it will get better. It almost has to.

Dead cat bounce? :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
03-05-08, 08:26 PM
Well it bloody well can't get any worse. So it can either stay the same or get better because TG won't allow it to fail. TG has done nothing right for over a decade. I see absolutely no reason that it will get better. Thus it will stay the same **** it has been for years now.

Al Czervik
03-05-08, 11:41 PM
The pooch has been screwed for far too long for it to get better.

pchall
03-06-08, 12:13 AM
At least come over and join in the fun with the The Foyt Futility Watch, New but Unimproved for 2008. :gomer:

... It's mid-70's USAC now, enjoy it. Dead and buried for me....

^^ a very true assessment. Tony George has brought the IRL to the point of pre-plane crash end of the 1971-1976 All Oval USAC Championship Trail.

Such a magnificent Vision™!!! :D

Napoleon
03-06-08, 06:24 AM
Well it bloody well can't get any worse.

Sure it can - I think that the IRL will bleed even more teams so that a year or 2 from now they are back to having an extremely difficult time fielding a full field.

Andrew Longman
03-06-08, 06:26 AM
A lot depends on how you define better.

Better for the 500? The 500 will not likely see a bump in ratings and sponsorships but there also is less liklihood of TG needing to write checks just to get to 33 or last minute bumping just to get some poor schmuck out of the race who is otherwise likely to kill himself. Sadly, I see more loss of tradition and more gimmicks in attempts to boost interest. I don't see bold moves to interest participation by the greatest drivers and manufacturers in the world.

Better commercially overall? Well, it can't get much worse. And if it doesn't get at least somewhat better some of the older owners will likely give up hope and stop spending money. As it is, in four years, some of these guys are going to be pretty old and I don't see new teams on the horizon.

Better product? Well, its already worse with the loss of RA, TO, Cleveland, etc., and movement to a crap spec. By 2012 they might get it back to where it was. Better would require talent I haven't seen from TG.
The

eiregosod
03-06-08, 11:41 AM
I voted for "same as it is today", they're just merging to avoid the inevitable.

The new perfect crapwagons are of no interest to me and there are other open wheel series out there to satisfy my open wheel curiosity.

Brickman
03-06-08, 06:19 PM
Racing wise it will be the same, the ovals will be nail biters or sleepers.

I think if GF let's PT go race it will make a difference, his WindBag interview where he talked plenty of Smack was far more interesting than either series marketing least year.

This "merge/surrender/?/amalgamation" if marketed properly will pit former CC drivers and owners against the existing IRL drivers and owners, and give both sides viewers some black hats to root against. No more canceled races, decent TV. The bad? 2 years of flying cars. The really bad? 1.5 mile ovals with a full field.

As long as they get the next generation car right (which CC sure didn't do) open wheel has a chance...

KK was in it for the money, when the turn around didn't happen, color him gone. I think TG realizes that he has to throw more money toward drivers and teams, that he can't let the other races languish.

I think PT is right "I want to race"... "nothing I would love better is to, to go back to Indy and compete there"... "I would like to establish the series, it's foundation not only in Canada"..."this is the best thing for the sport to have everyone involved"... obviously PT has fire in his heart when it comes to open wheel and racing. IMHO I think he believes THIS is the start of open wheel's revival.

You notice he never said I R L? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5BjAaayeCes

cart7
03-07-08, 05:17 AM
The series will need more ,,,,,,,,, if it's to succeed.

SurfaceUnits
03-07-08, 08:18 AM
The IRL opens its season March 29 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. At the moment, only six Champ Car entries are in the mix -- two cars each from KV Racing, Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing and Conquest Racing.

Officials from Walker Racing, Minardi Team USA and Dale Coyne Racing say they are trying to assemble programs, but they haven't signed contracts. Officials from Rocketsports and Pacific Coast Motorsports expressed initial interest, but they have made no public statements recently.

Accipiter
03-07-08, 10:39 AM
With the same management, nothing is going to change. Anyone who thinks the continuing existence of Champ Car was the reason that the IRL couldn't progress forward is fooling themselves.