PDA

View Full Version : D&D Creator Dead at 69

Sean Malone
03-04-08, 05:51 PM
Gary Gygax died today. I was part of the second wave of the Dungeons and Dragons phenom in the late 70's and early 80's, way before it was thought of as being a geek game.
Had all the books, little pewter figurines, stacks of store bought campaigns. Playing D&D with my friends while 2112 played on the 8 track. Ah, the memories.

Thanks Gary. :thumbup:

link (http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit.gygax.ap/index.html)

nrc
03-04-08, 11:01 PM
"...way before it was thought of as being a geek game?"

It was always a geek game. If you thought it wasn't geeky it was only because you were more geeky than the others playing. ;)

In fact, it's one of the few parts of my geeky yut that haven't gone mainstream. Everyone has computers now. Racing is mainstream (if you count NASCAR). Next thing you know Alice Cooper will be in the Hall of Fame.

I started reading the books in '79 and we started playing sometime in '80. Lots of good times spent around dining room tables rolling dice late into the night. Graduation and a real job pretty much put an end to that.

Hats off to GG.

Sean Malone
03-04-08, 11:19 PM
"...way before it was thought of as being a geek game?"

It was always a geek game. If you thought it wasn't geeky it was only because you were more geeky than the others playing. ;)

Hmm, lighted magnifying glass on pivoting arm for painting the details of my pewter halflings fuzzy feet...CHECK, Dungeon Master book, CHECK, Players handbook, CHECK, the only kid in a 20 mile radius with Deities and Demigods handbook, CHECK, Transparent 20 sided dice from hobby store (friends just had 'regular' 20 sided) CHECK. Girlfriend...uh, girlfriend? Hey!!!???!!! Wa wa what?!?!

Oh well, who needed a girlfriend when I had Machorel, half high elf, half human, chaotic neutral (?), assassin thief, , with a +13 flaming dagger and a +20 resistance to elementals.

I could sit and play right now! I'd love to. :)

Indy
03-05-08, 12:12 AM
^^^^^ I had all that stuff.

Except for the pewter halfling. That is just gay. :rofl:

Sean Malone
03-07-08, 10:07 PM
Saw this on Woot today. I don't get half of them but some are humorous.

16 Gary Gygax Jokes We Better Not Catch You Making
by Lydon, Norman, Toon, Rutledge, & Duff Tuesday March 4, 2008 2:35 PM
News

D&D Co-Creator Gary Gygax Has Passed Away, Tuesday, March 4, 2008.

1. “Quick! Someone cast Raise Dead!”
2. “Don’t worry – he’s just playtesting the Astral Plane for the next edition.”
3. “He’s gone the way of Star Frontiers.”
4. “Analysts warn of a free-fall in Mountain Dew futures.”
5. “In the next town, you meet a stranger named Barry Bygax.”
6. “Now who will lead our young people to Satan?”
7. “With his last breath, he cursed the name of Marlon Wayans.”
8. “I wonder how they’ll divide up his XP.”
9. “Pallbearers, make a Bend Bars/Lift Gates roll.”
10. "At least he didn't live to see Disney's Greyhawk On Ice."
11. “Lorraine Williams is behind this somehow, I just know it.”
12. “The worlds of adventure gaming, fantasy fandom, and van painting will never be the same.”
13. “When I heard, I cried 2d10 tears.”
14. “Is there anything in the will about electrum?”
15. “Heart condition? Wow, I always thought it’d be owlbears that got him.”
16. “Suddenly, nobody in Heaven wants to hang out with Marilyn Monroe on Friday night.”