I personally agree.

Same reason people say, "I personally..."

Ooops. :D

rosawendel
03-03-08, 09:14 PM
you know

Indy
03-03-08, 09:20 PM
If you state things with confidence in simple declarative sentences, many will consider you arrogant.

For some reason here in the Midwest there is nothing more offensive to people than confidence. I suppose it violates their Bible Belt sense of humility.

Don Quixote
03-03-08, 09:42 PM
Quite frankly, that being said ...
At the end of the day ...

JT265
03-03-08, 09:43 PM
Why do people say that?

Why add the myself? :confused:

Good question. Why would some people wanna live in Texas? :saywhat:

:runs:

:rofl:

dando
03-03-08, 10:10 PM
I think, therefor I am. :)

I'm still waiting on the coon explanation. :)

-Kevin

SteveH
03-03-08, 10:21 PM
JT, you yourself should know better than anyone why someone would live in Texas.

Cheap women and cold beer.

Or do I have that backwards? :D

Ankf00
03-03-08, 10:48 PM
Canadia. The land of polar bears and sons of bitches. :gomer:

grungex
03-03-08, 10:53 PM
I do the rock...

...myself

JT265
03-04-08, 12:15 AM
JT, you yourself should know better than anyone why someone would live in Texas.

Cheap women and cold beer.

Or do I have that backwards? :D

Can't answer that Steve. Otherwise, people would know I've spent plenty of time there. :p

Turn7
03-04-08, 08:32 AM
:runs:

Must be a gall durned FRENCH Canadian!

JT265
03-04-08, 11:16 AM
Must be a gall durned FRENCH Canadian!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rabbit
03-04-08, 02:07 PM
Why do people say that?

Intensive pronouns do not function as part of a sentence pattern. Instead, they emphasize a noun or pronoun already used in the sentence. The antecedent is the word that the intensive pronoun emphasizes. Because intensive pronouns are not part of the sentence pattern, they can be removed without changing the basic meaning of the sentence.

YMMV http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/n/nerd-emoticon.gif

G.
03-04-08, 02:23 PM
Intensive pronouns do not function as part of a sentence pattern. Instead, they emphasize a noun or pronoun already used in the sentence. The antecedent is the word that the intensive pronoun emphasizes. Because intensive pronouns are not part of the sentence pattern, they can be removed without changing the basic meaning of the sentence.

YMMV http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/n/nerd-emoticon.gifWell, irregardless of that, I myself think that people speak that way to makes oneself sound intelligenter.

:gomer:

dando
03-04-08, 02:35 PM

YMMV http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/n/nerd-emoticon.gif

Nuttin' worse than a grammar geek lawyer type. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-04-08, 03:06 PM
irregardless

:flame:

oddlycalm
03-04-08, 06:03 PM
Why do people say that? You just gotta decide this knda thing is right for your own persnal self. :gomer:

oc

OW
03-04-08, 09:19 PM
Why do people say that?

YOU! are right....

OW
03-04-08, 09:22 PM
Is "WE" , "US" and "OUR" ok?

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

nrc
03-04-08, 11:05 PM
Myself, I like to change it up a bit.

Al Czervik
03-04-08, 11:11 PM
It is what it is.

cameraman
03-05-08, 12:13 AM
Is "WE" , "US" and "OUR" ok?
You will note he did not say "Now we, ourselves are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We, ourselves are met on a great battle-field of that war. We, ourselves have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we, ourselves should do this."
So yes, Lincoln's use of we, us and our is perfectly correct.

G.
03-05-08, 12:50 AM

It is what it is.

:)

anait
03-05-08, 01:14 AM

It is what it is.

You know what they say...