PDA

View Full Version : Kermit sounds off on the mergercrapification

dando
03-03-08, 01:48 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/bourdais-slams-champ-car-indycar-merger-deal//P1/

“We had all been waiting for it for a long time, but obviously didn’t expect it 30 days before the start of a season,” he declared. “It’s not a merger, it’s the death of Champ Car and the IRL taking over—the schedules, cars, everything. It’s the cars (the IRL teams) have been running around with for five years, so what are the Champ Car teams going to be able to do? Nothing.

“They had no time to prepare over the winter, because the winter is over. It’s a disaster for Champ Car teams, obviously.”

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-03-08, 04:31 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/bourdais-slams-champ-car-indycar-merger-deal//P1/

Nothing most of us didn't know already, but I bet he's glad he got put when he did.

dando
03-03-08, 04:40 PM
Nothing most of us didn't know already, but I bet he's glad he got put when he did.

Just good to see a former champ calling a spade a spade. :\

-Kevin

RichK
03-03-08, 06:00 PM
“(The merger) is very good for the sport;"

TravelGal
03-03-08, 07:16 PM
Just to finish the sentence for ya

"; it’s just that it’s going to cause a lot of trouble. A lot of people are going to lose jobs and it’s going to take a long time to rebuild.”

RichK
03-03-08, 08:18 PM
Just to finish the sentence for ya

"; it’s just that it’s going to cause a lot of trouble. A lot of people are going to lose jobs and it’s going to take a long time to rebuild.”

Not the point. It's best for the sport in the long run.

Insomniac
03-03-08, 08:28 PM

Only if it stops the downward spiral. There is no guarantee that it will.

Racing Truth
03-03-08, 08:49 PM
Only if it stops the downward spiral. There is no guarantee that it will.

No, but I CAN guarantee that without it, the spiral would have continued unchecked. Yeah, the timing sucks, as does the "victor," but just because the timing makes it difficult doesn't mean it should not have happened.

IMHO.

KLang
03-03-08, 09:10 PM
:laugh: Look at who's in charge now. The sport is doomed.

RichK
03-03-08, 09:38 PM
:laugh: Look at who's in charge now. The sport is doomed.

It may be, but it was definitely doomed long before the takeover.

OW
03-03-08, 10:16 PM
Seabass is a great driver and I will be watching him...
But he should concentrate on his own (weaker team) challenge...

He might have been Pressed to make a comment, but iT'S IRELLAVENT

Hard Driver
03-04-08, 01:06 PM
I think he hit the nail on the head. He was the series champion for years, he certainly has a right to comment.

And I think he is absolutely right. This is not a merger or unification or whatever sham you want to call it. It is the death of Champcar and TG is picking over the carcass for whatever he wants.

audi quattro
03-04-08, 03:20 PM
Regardless of the mergification, how it went down was terrible.
Completely unfair to the Champcar teams. Should have been a much less steep a

patski
03-04-08, 03:22 PM

Bull! Your opinion.

RichK
03-04-08, 03:33 PM
Bull!

Your opinion.

Racing Truth
03-04-08, 04:02 PM
Bull! Your opinion.

True, but consider this. This cluster had, in truth, 2 possible endings:

1. This ending.

2. Champ Car continues, but so does :tony: tard. Who here thinks he would have accepted true power-sharing? Short of that, we have long-term, an untenable standoff that, in time would DEFINITELY have ended everything in OW.

Now, I realize some see that as better than what we now have, and I respect that. But, for those who think, "Blow it all up and start over in a few yrs.," well, good luck with that.

Maybe the best thing is to end the sport for good. But for those who want it continue, this was likely inevitable.