PDA

View Full Version : April in Indiana.

emjaya
03-02-08, 09:54 AM
My wife will be spending ten days in the USA on business/holiday trip around mid April; taking in visits to friends in Indiana and Ohio, and a tradeshow in Kentucky.

While the people she will be staying with have told her a bit, she is a little unsure about a few things, eg: like what the weather is going to be like in Indiana in April.

So, anything come to mind that you think she should know. She has had friends do pretty much the same trip in previous years and they have told her a few things on what to do and what not to do.

She is meeting up with friends from Australia and staying with friends as well, so it's not like she is traveling alone, but this is her first trip overseas and it's the small things that are the hardest to find out.

Anything you can tell us , especially about the weather, would be appreciated. :)

dando
03-02-08, 12:06 PM
My wife will be spending ten days in the USA on business/holiday trip around mid April; taking in visits to friends in Indiana and Ohio, and a tradeshow in Kentucky.

While the people she will be staying with have told her a bit, she is a little unsure about a few things, eg: like what the weather is going to be like in Indiana in April.

So, anything come to mind that you think she should know. She has had friends do pretty much the same trip in previous years and they have told her a few things on what to do and what not to do.

She is meeting up with friends from Australia and staying with friends as well, so it's not like she is traveling alone, but this is her first trip overseas and it's the small things that are the hardest to find out.

Anything you can tell us , especially about the weather, would be appreciated. :)

Well, I'm sorry to report that the weather in the midwest in April can vary greatly. We can have snow, tornadoes, heavy rain, 90 degree temps, 30 degree temps...all in one week. :( The average high should be in the 60s, and the average low in the 40s. Last year we had a cold Easter (early April), and by the end of the month we were consistently in the 70s (I had our girls baby pool out very early last year).

Accuweather.com is a good place to get advance forecasts for US cities (15 days out). These will vary from reality during this time of the year, but it may help to see how the forecast is trending. Right now we're having a particularly nasty, cold winter that appears to be prolonged this season. Spring is due to start in ~3 weeks, but the extended forecast looks like more winter for us. :(

-Kevin

JLMannin
03-02-08, 12:19 PM
Yes, dando is correct. Weather in Indiana in April is very unpredictable and can be quite variable - the same can be said for much of the midwest.

Typically, I would say 50 to 65 degrees Farenheit is "nornal", but it can be below freezing or very hot. I would definately bring a jacket and a mix of long and short sleeve clothing. Advanced forecasts can give a general indication of the expected temperature up to two weeks out, however.

Andrew Longman
03-02-08, 12:47 PM
Yes it's the little things...

They drive on the right side of the road.

Stay away from Waffle Houses and Walmarts.

If you must, Big Boys and Targets will do.

Try to stay away from discussing Dan Quayle and Dick Luger.

Don't say anything bad about Notre Dame.

The Colts play American football. Payton Manning is their best player

The Pacers play basketball

Bobby Knight used to be a basketball coach and could have been governor, but he choked one too many players and got fired

They call themselves Hoosiers (Who-is-'her) but no body knows why.

There used to be this big car race in May. Somebody might mention it.

dando
03-02-08, 12:53 PM
Yes, dando is correct. Weather in Indiana in April is very unpredictable and can be quite variable - the same can be said for much of the midwest.

Typically, I would say 50 to 65 degrees Farenheit is "nornal", but it can be below freezing or very hot. I would definately bring a jacket and a mix of long and short sleeve clothing. Advanced forecasts can give a general indication of the expected temperature up to two weeks out, however.

I should post a pic of Easter two years ago when we had ~2" of snow (the giant April silver dollar flakes, to boot). IIRC, it reached 70 the following week. :saywhat:

Here's the 15-day forecast for my locale from Accuweather.com:

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=43016&metric=0

I checked this just the other planning for Spring break, and it had 30s and 40s, and now it has temps headed into the 50s. :irked:

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-02-08, 02:29 PM
You'll be fine in jeans and long sleeve shirts. You might want to bring a decent jacket... and some short sleeve shirts. And a pair or two of shorts. A sweatshirt. Maybe some shoes you don't mind getting mud on, and some other shoes that don't make your feet sweat. Don't forget your sunscreen and umbrella, you will need them on the same day.

RTKar
03-02-08, 02:57 PM
If she has time, Chicago is not that far away. It's a city that would be a pleasant surprise.

Andrew Longman
03-02-08, 04:05 PM
If she has time, Chicago is not that far away. It's a city that would be a pleasant surprise.

Shore thing. Great American city. Take in a baseball game, plenty of world class museums, fine shopping and dining, Lake Michigan, etc.

dando
03-02-08, 04:29 PM
Take in a baseball game

@ Wrigley. Don't bother with the **** hole on the south side. Million $ mile is fun for shopping. Definitely worth a weekend trip (especially escaping Indyanna). :thumbup:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
03-02-08, 06:35 PM
@ Wrigley. Don't bother with the **** hole on the south side. Million $ mile is fun for shopping. Definitely worth a weekend trip (especially escaping Indyanna). :thumbup:

-Kevin

Not necessarily. Being from Australia, she will appreciate U.S. Cellular Field's many in-stand brawls.

Ankf00
03-02-08, 06:59 PM
Not necessarily. Being from Australia, he will appreciate U.S. Cellular Field's many in-stand brawls.

and the on/off-field hybrid brawls as well!

BDMiiWdDneo

dando
03-02-08, 07:09 PM
Not necessarily. Being from Australia, he will appreciate U.S. Cellular Field's many in-stand brawls.

If only *he* was the one visiting, yo. :gomer:

-Kevin

Cam
03-02-08, 10:09 PM

-Kevin

Funny how that little fact went flying over everyones heads huh? :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
03-03-08, 12:33 AM
There, I fixed it. :D

Napoleon
03-03-08, 07:25 AM
I raced in SCCA for years and for much of that time our first event of the year was at IRP in April. You would have no idea of what you were going to get weatherwise. Do you have any idea of how little traction a car has coming onto the staging area of IRP's drag strip when it's sleeting?

opinionated ow
03-03-08, 07:50 AM
Gas City, Lawrenceburg and Winchester Speedway's are all running USAC National Sprints in April. and anderson speedway is running usac midgets. guess i know where i would be ;)

emjaya
03-03-08, 09:49 AM

-Kevin

Yes, if only. Just the wife and our eldest will be going.

Ok, so the weather is going to be cold and wet, unless it's hot and sunny. Sounds like Melbourne, only with more snow. :laugh:

Andrew, not sure if she will be driving at all. I will try not to think about it if she does.

Umm, they want to see a Wal-mart. Is that bad?

One of the things that she has been told is to avoid talking about politics and politicians all together. Anything about George W, especially.

Dando, I don't think they will be going anywhere near 1060 West Addison, but it is on my list of things to do. ;)

Thank you for your help. :)

chop456
03-03-08, 09:53 AM
Million $ mile

Where's that, exactly? :D

extramundane
03-03-08, 10:05 AM
If she finds herself near Indiana Beach, I can recommend an excellent restaurant.

Sean O'Gorman
03-03-08, 10:06 AM
Are you going to send them to the Hip Hugger too?

extramundane
03-03-08, 10:17 AM

Is that some place that caters to people who don't move out of their parents' house 'til their mid 20s?

rabbit
03-03-08, 10:21 AM
"If you don't like the weather in Ohio/Indiana, just wait five minutes, it'll change."

dando
03-03-08, 11:10 AM
Umm, they want to see a Wal-mart. Is that bad?

One of the things that she has been told is to avoid talking about politics and politicians all together. Anything about George W, especially.

Dando, I don't think they will be going anywhere near 1060 West Addison, but it is on my list of things to do. ;)

I wouldn't necessarily say visiting a WMT is a bad thing. If they want some insight into consumer America, it might actually be a good thing. She should try visiting a Whole Foods if there is one nearby. That is one awesome 'grocery' store. And yes, I generally avoid discussing politics and religion with anyone other than my closest confidants.

-Kevin

grungex
03-03-08, 11:30 AM
If she finds herself near Indiana Beach, I can recommend an excellent restaurant.

Hey, I think I've been there!

Indy
03-03-08, 08:47 PM

That's pretty damned obscure, isn't it? :laugh:

Hey, Em, if you need restaurant advice, PM me here or elsewhere.

dando
03-04-08, 05:24 PM
So it's March in oHIo....yesterday it was 70, right now it's 39 with thunderstorms and flooding rain with flood watches. 50 miles N/NW of Cbus there's a winter storm warning for freezing rain and snow. Don't like the weather here, just wait a few minutes. :irked:

-Kevin

emjaya
03-04-08, 10:23 PM
Hey, Em, if you need restaurant advice, PM me here or elsewhere.

I will, but I think they are staying out in the sticks somewhere; away from the big cities. ;)

Indy
03-04-08, 10:49 PM
I will, but I think they are staying out in the sticks somewhere; away from the big cities. ;)

Well, um, ok, but you can't be that far from a city here.

And there are some good places in the sticks, believe it or not. :gomer:

dando
03-04-08, 11:21 PM
Well, um, ok, but you can't be that far from a city here.

And there are some good places in the sticks, believe it or not. :gomer:

http://www.jonathanbyrds.com/

:tony:

-Kevin

Indy
03-05-08, 12:15 AM
Greenwoodtucky ain't the sticks, ya moran! http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2611/moronpr0.jpg

dando
03-05-08, 12:32 AM
Greenwoodtucky ain't the sticks, ya moran! http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2611/moronpr0.jpg

Indyanna is the sticks, yo. :gomer: Nice pic of Spickly, tho. :tony:

-Kevin

racermike
03-05-08, 03:53 PM
If she can make it to Cedar Point Park in Sandusky for a day, its well worth it (if she likes rollercoasters) - less than 2 hour drive west from Cleveland

Millenium Force and Top Fuel Dragster have to be the most adrenaline pumped coasters I have ever been on, anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SnusC57D0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHFi2OtqJlw

dando
03-07-08, 07:05 PM
And to continue the midwestern US weather blog...today we have a blizzard warning in central oHIo for your pleasure (or not). :12-15" expected with winds up to 40 mph tonight. So in one week, we've had 70 degree temps, thunderstorms and 30 degree temps 24 hours later, and ice storm 50 miles north of us, 50 degree temps yesterday, and now a blizzard to top it off. :saywhat: :irked: Puhleeze end this winter already. :cry:

-Kevin

nrc
03-07-08, 07:57 PM
Blame me. I've been saying I'd like to have one more snow and then full blown spring. I should have played the lottery instead. :D

dando
03-07-08, 08:37 PM
Blame me. I've been saying I'd like to have one more snow and then full blown spring. I should have played the lottery instead. :D
:saywhat:

In that case, you owe me Bungles tix. ;)

-Kevin

Napoleon
03-08-08, 07:59 AM

It sure looks like it will be winters big one - I hope your right about it being the last one.

TravelGal
03-08-08, 12:50 PM

Too bad because Chicago really is a great place. It's my favorite American city. It's much like Sydney. Apart from the weather, that is.

You asked about the "small things" so here is my biggest tip. Every Australian has thanked me profusely for mentioning it. When you look at the paper money, look only in the corner. That's where the numbers are. The size is the same, the pictures of the same guys have been changed three times in the last few years, and some have color and some don't of the same denomination. Just look at the corners.

If she's going to be in Kentucky, she might get grits. This is a thick white paste served with every meal as a starch. People either love or hate it. We could have an entire thread on it. Tread carefully before you know whether you'll want more or to dump them on the floor.

Overall "she'll be right." We don't bite ya know!

nrc
03-08-08, 08:01 PM
:saywhat:

In that case, you owe me Bungles tix. ;)

-Kevin

At this point you could probably go out for the defense and get into every game for free. ;)

dando
03-08-08, 08:36 PM
At this point you could probably go out for the defense and get into every game for free.

:p

20.4" is the new record fer Cbus, yo. :eek: 15.4" today and 5" yesterday. :eek: My back hurts. :(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-08-08, 08:44 PM
20.4" is the new record fer Cbus, yo. :eek: 15.4" today and 5" yesterday. My back hurts. :(

-Kevin

Yikes. :eek:

There's 10.5" in my backyard and its still snowing.

nrc
03-08-08, 09:19 PM
20.4" is the new record fer Cbus, yo. :eek: 15.4" today and 5" yesterday. :eek: My back hurts. :(

-Kevin

And it's supposed to be back up to 50 degrees by Friday. If there's no snow of freezing rain after that, I'm good. :thumbup:

WickerBill
03-08-08, 09:37 PM
Here's hoping the pill bugs died in the late snow.

emjaya
03-10-08, 09:17 AM
Too bad because Chicago really is a great place. It's my favorite American city. It's much like Sydney. Apart from the weather, that is.

You asked about the "small things" so here is my biggest tip. Every Australian has thanked me profusely for mentioning it. When you look at the paper money, look only in the corner. That's where the numbers are. The size is the same, the pictures of the same guys have been changed three times in the last few years, and some have color and some don't of the same denomination. Just look at the corners.

If she's going to be in Kentucky, she might get grits. This is a thick white paste served with every meal as a starch. People either love or hate it. We could have an entire thread on it. Tread carefully before you know whether you'll want more or to dump them on the floor.

Overall "she'll be right." We don't bite ya know!

Thank you T'Gal, I see what you mean about the money. As you would know, they are a lot different to what we have here.

Grits. :saywhat:

I know they'll be ok, I just don't want anything to distract them from buying my duty free booze. Just how many bottles of whiskey is 4.5litres? ;)

TravelGal
03-10-08, 01:26 PM
I know they'll be ok, I just don't want anything to distract them from buying my duty free booze. Just how many bottles of whiskey is 4.5litres? ;)

Actually, it's the other way around now. Most booze is in litres so when WE come back, we're always trying to figure out how much 1.2 litres is in quarts.

Two things on that. I know you were kidding (sort of?) But these things really cause confusion.

1) Be sure it really is cheaper. We find that we can buy almost anything in the world here in California for the same or LESS. Don't know about Kentucky or Indianer though. What we do buy is something that cannot be purchased here. She might find some special Strangled Goose Down Home Bourbon or something worth giving a shot. (no pun intended) That would have to be packed into her luggage, however. See point 2.

2) Be sure the stuff is bought on the last point of departure. If she buys the duty free in Indianapolis or Lexington, depending upon the TSA when she changes planes she may have to give it up before boarding the international flight. You're not supposed to have to because you are in transit but it's the luck of the draw. Especially at LAX. If she is unlucky enough to have to change terminals, she'll have to exit the secure area. If she has checked her bags through to Oz, which one would expect, she won't have a chance to hide the hooch away and will probably have it confiscated.

Clear? I didn't think so.

cameraman
03-10-08, 01:35 PM
Along the same lines if you clear customs in the Salt Lake City airport, there will be State agents working along side the TSA folks hunting illegal (by Utah law that is defined as "ALL") alcohol.:shakehead

dando
03-10-08, 01:40 PM

Grits is good, yo. YMMV ;) It's more of deep south staple, so border states like Kintucky may not serve them as much as they do further south. We have to go to specific places to find them around here.

Hooch comes in 750ml and 1.5L sizes, so 6 or 3. :) I'm waiting for the day they have gallon sizes. :D

-Kevin

emjaya
03-10-08, 05:19 PM
Actually, it's the other way around now. Most booze is in litres so when WE come back, we're always trying to figure out how much 1.2 litres is in quarts.

Two things on that. I know you were kidding (sort of?) But these things really cause confusion.

1) Be sure it really is cheaper. We find that we can buy almost anything in the world here in California for the same or LESS. Don't know about Kentucky or Indianer though. What we do buy is something that cannot be purchased here. She might find some special Strangled Goose Down Home Bourbon or something worth giving a shot. (no pun intended) That would have to be packed into her luggage, however. See point 2.

2) Be sure the stuff is bought on the last point of departure. If she buys the duty free in Indianapolis or Lexington, depending upon the TSA when she changes planes she may have to give it up before boarding the international flight. You're not supposed to have to because you are in transit but it's the luck of the draw. Especially at LAX. If she is unlucky enough to have to change terminals, she'll have to exit the secure area. If she has checked her bags through to Oz, which one would expect, she won't have a chance to hide the hooch away and will probably have it confiscated.

Clear? I didn't think so.

Strangled Goose Down Home borbon sounds exactly what I am after. :gomer:

I will have to check, but I am sure they are changing terminals on departure. My booze. :cry:

TravelGal
03-10-08, 06:13 PM

I will have to check, but I am sure they are changing terminals on departure. My booze. :cry:

:rofl: That wouldn't be in the Duty Free anyway. Have 'em stop 'round to the local Piggly Wiggly. Oh, guess they are all 7 Elevens now. Probably on the front shelf. Then put it in their luggage, suitably swathed in underwear. That's what I do. ;)

Cam
03-10-08, 06:32 PM

From my experience they'd be better off buying your booze on exit on brizzy touchdown... :)

dando
04-29-08, 12:30 PM
80s last week, 1" of snow this AM, freeze warnings issued for tonight. :irked: Welcome to April in the midwest US. :gomer:

-Kevin

extramundane
04-29-08, 12:35 PM
80s last week, 1" of snow this AM, freeze warnings issued for tonight. :irked: Welcome to April in the midwest US. :gomer:

-Kevin

We'll take the snow & freeze if you take back your damn tornadoes.

dando
04-29-08, 12:44 PM
We'll take the snow & freeze if you take back your damn tornadoes.

:( Oddly we haven't seen a lick of severe weather so far this year. :crosses fingers: Back in the day, we used get pummeled in April and May...now it's June and July.

-Kevin

Gnam
04-29-08, 05:44 PM
Did she feel any of the earthquakes?

dando
04-29-08, 05:51 PM

I think MJ said in the quake thread that they were leaving the weekend after the quakes happened. I suspect now that he and Rusty are hammered, as Rusty was due for a visit and some sheep shagging. ;)

:runs:

:D

-Kevin

emjaya
04-29-08, 06:29 PM

-Kevin

The wife arrived home yesterday; said the weather was fine, cool, but fine. Funny thing, Australia has been hit with a cold front so it's colder here today than it was there. :laugh:

From my experience they'd be better off buying your booze on exit on brizzy touchdown... :)

Not in Brisbane.

cameraman
05-01-08, 12:08 PM
May 1. Fencing crew is here. Surveyors are here. The house is all torn up and there is a 3' by 5' hole going up to the attic and half of the heating ducts have been removed and there's a bloody full on white out blizzard going on:flame:

Don Quixote
05-01-08, 12:18 PM
May 1. Fencing crew is here. Surveyors are here. The house is all torn up and there is a 3' by 5' hole going up to the attic and half of the heating ducts have been removed and there's a bloody full on white out blizzard going on:flame: We're getting snow in Denver now also. :)

Kiwifan
05-01-08, 02:24 PM
I think MJ said in the quake thread that they were leaving the weekend after the quakes happened. I suspect now that he and Rusty are hammered, as Rusty was due for a visit and some sheep shagging. ;)

:runs:

:D

-Kevin

Ha ha, you'll keep. :)

It better not be cold and wet next week em, or in October. :) Mixed emotions on that, it's always nice to cross the ditch, eat your food, drink our wine, gaze at your women, catch up with family and watch the racing. But this year I hear there may be farting bees racing. Hmmm. It's gunna be weird.

Hope the household is still running smoothly. Yeah Right!

Rusty.

Ankf00
05-01-08, 02:31 PM
may 1st snow storm, beautiful. it's all turning into water though so soccer's probably still on tonight

Don Quixote
05-01-08, 03:15 PM
don't tell me they cancel soccer games if there is snow on the ground.

Ankf00
05-01-08, 03:27 PM
frosted grass supposedly browns and dies off when trampled, and growing season is short, so yea, cancelled, else fall season will be on fields of dirt

Don Quixote
05-01-08, 04:51 PM
Gotcha. Plus, in Boulder they are concerned about the effect of said dirt fields on global warming. :D

dando
05-01-08, 05:03 PM
frosted grass supposedly browns and dies off when trampled, and growing season is short, so yea, cancelled, else fall season will be on fields of dirt

'tis also why they don't allow fools who get up early enough to golf when there is frost on the ground.

-Kevin

emjaya
05-01-08, 08:15 PM

No, they did not feel the earthquakes, nor did they see snow. They were a disappointed about that, but only in a very small way. ;) :D