PDA

View Full Version : Tracy on Wind Tunnel

TedN
03-01-08, 10:54 AM
This week ...

Paul Tracy will be on Wind Tunnel 2003 Champ Car champion Paul Tracy will be one of the featured interviews on Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain on Sunday night, March 1. Paul will discuss the recent unification of Champ Car and the IRL, but more importantly he will discuss losing his ride with the Forsythe team that was shut down this week. Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain airs live at 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm ET on SPEED.

Ted

Hesketh
03-01-08, 11:22 AM
Paul Tracy will be on Wind Tunnel 2003 Champ Car champion Paul Tracy will be one of the featured interviews on Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain on Sunday night, March 1. Paul will discuss the recent unification of Champ Car and the IRL, but more importantly he will discuss losing his ride with the Forsythe team that was shut down this week. Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain airs live at 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm ET on SPEED.

Isn't Saturday the 1st? :confused:

Lux Interior
03-01-08, 11:44 AM
I wonder if PT will call Tony a jerk or if he will try to suck up since he potentially needs a ride at Vision Racing?

dando
03-01-08, 01:11 PM
Isn't Saturday the 1st? :confused:

Didn't you get the memo? This is leap leap year. :gomer:

-Kevin

OW
03-01-08, 03:41 PM
Today is February 30th :D

Ruben Barrios
03-01-08, 03:59 PM
Anyone bet that PT slams nobody?

Chiphead_Dave
03-01-08, 07:28 PM
Anyone bet that PT slams nobody?

No argument there.

PT is well and truely cool-aided at this point.

You will hear about how good this is for AOW and how he is excited
about new challenges and getting back to tracks he loved in the past.

Racing Truth
03-01-08, 09:01 PM
No argument there.

You will hear about how good this is for AOW and how he is excited
about new challenges and getting back to tracks he loved in the past.

Of course, it never occurs to some that these feelings (some of them, anyway) might, you know, be genuine.

As I've said, I respect whatever fans decide to do, but don't assume that, just b/c someone makes a different choice than you, they've been "Kool-Aided."

Chiphead_Dave
03-02-08, 12:19 AM
Of course, it never occurs to some that these feelings (some of them, anyway) might, you know, be genuine.

As I've said, I respect whatever fans decide to do, but don't assume that, just b/c someone makes a different choice than you, they've been "Kool-Aided."

Tracy (if he is going into the IRL) is going in knowing what is going on....if he doesn't he is a fool.

That being said, I have liked watching him and have been a fan of his for a long time......but (again if) he is going into the lions den and he (and everyone else) knows that he has (publicly) been one of the harshest critics of the world he seems to be quickly adopting. To me is seems a little hypocritical.

But I won't be following him there.

Sean Malone
03-02-08, 12:29 AM
What a freakin' train wreck.

Chiphead_Dave
03-02-08, 12:36 AM
What a freakin' train wreck.

Train,plane and shipwreck all in one. As in all accidents the real losers are the passengers.

Ruben Barrios
03-02-08, 12:52 AM
No argument there.

I meant he won't slam KK or GF or PG or anyone... needless to say he'd be foolish to burn bridges before he crosses them.... He will praise the league and the unification/absorption...

Sean Malone
03-02-08, 12:55 AM
PT went from being an almost has been in a has been series to a true has been in a series that never was.

or something like that.

mapguy
03-02-08, 07:40 AM
PT went from being an almost has been in a has been series to a true has been in a series that never was.

or something like that.

Dude, that was deep.

opinionated ow
03-02-08, 08:10 AM
can someone please give a recap when it is over? i used to be able to download windtunnel as a podcast within about 48 hours of it airing. this year it has stopped :(

Insomniac
03-02-08, 10:58 AM
Tracy (if he is going into the IRL) is going in knowing what is going on....if he doesn't he is a fool.

That being said, I have liked watching him and have been a fan of his for a long time......but (again if) he is going into the lions den and he (and everyone else) knows that he has (publicly) been one of the harshest critics of the world he seems to be quickly adopting. To me is seems a little hypocritical.

He has been singing the merger tune for a couple years though. It was easy to dump on the IRL when you had a secure CC ride until retirement.

Chiphead_Dave
03-02-08, 12:24 PM
He has been singing the merger tune for a couple years though. It was easy to dump on the IRL when you had a secure CC ride until retirement.

I don't think this is the merger he (or any of us) really wanted.

grungex
03-02-08, 01:24 PM
I don't think this is a merger...

patski
03-02-08, 01:55 PM
I don't think this is a merger...

Its not!

KLang
03-02-08, 02:14 PM
It's called 'throwing in the towel'. Or maybe capitulation.

Dr. Corkski
03-02-08, 03:09 PM
And you guys thought he was the poster child for loyalty. :rofl:

Insomniac
03-02-08, 03:38 PM
I don't think this is the merger he (or any of us) really wanted.

I doubt it's what anyone in CC wanted. But this is as about as close to the only way it would happen. TG wasn't going to sell out to CC. CC wasn't going to add a few ovals and Indy. Anyone with common sense could see that.

Insomniac
03-02-08, 03:39 PM
And you guys thought he was the poster child for loyalty. :rofl:

What is there to be loyal to? CC is gone. Forsythe dropped him (I'm surprised he isn't filing suit for the rest of his contract).

Tex
03-02-08, 03:49 PM
What is there to be loyal to? CC is gone. Forsythe dropped him (I'm surprised he isn't filing suit for the rest of his contract).

Sounds like there might be. On a radio interview, PT said that there were still "legal" issues to resolve between Forsythe and himself.

Racing Truth
03-02-08, 04:04 PM

That was 5+ yrs. go. Stuff happens, opinions change.

datachicane
03-02-08, 04:45 PM
I doubt it's what anyone in CC wanted. But this is as about as close to the only way it would happen. TG wasn't going to sell out to CC. CC wasn't going to add a few ovals and Indy. Anyone with common sense could see that.

Yep.
Worse yet, CART/CC was in the unwinnable position of being a business in competition with a hobbyist. Trying to compete against TG was like getting into a bidding war at Barrett/Jackson with someone who sees winning as his birthright...

That said, I don't have to like the results, and I don't have to settle for it.
If crapwagons in a crappy schedule with CART/CC teams and drivers was enough, I'd have been watching the IRL since Penske jumped ship. There is nothing left of the elements that got me interested in CART in the first place, not even the habit/inertia/loyalty/nostalgia that's kept me watching since 2003.

As far as I'm concerned, AOW is dead. How I'm supposed to interpret the elimination of those few pieces that were still interesting as a positive frankly escapes me. TG's promises of a classic 1/3-1/3-1/3 CART-style schedule and a new car don't mean much to me either, given his track record. If they actually do come to pass I'll probably give it a chance, but I'm not holding my breath.

trish
03-02-08, 04:48 PM
Yep.
Worse yet, CART/CC was in the unwinnable position of being a business in competition with a hobbyist. Trying to compete against TG was like getting into a bidding war at Barrett/Jackson with someone who sees winning as his birthright...

That said, I don't have to like the results, and I don't have to settle for it.
If crapwagons in a crappy schedule with CART/CC teams and drivers was enough, I'd have been watching the IRL since Penske jumped ship. There is nothing left of the elements that got me interested in CART in the first place, not even the habit/inertia/loyalty/nostalgia that's kept me watching since 2003.

As far as I'm concerned, AOW is dead. How I'm supposed to interpret the elimination of those few pieces that were still interesting as a positive frankly escapes me. TG's promises of a classic 1/3-1/3-1/3 CART-style schedule and a new car don't mean much to me either, given his track record. If they actually do come to pass I'll probably give it a chance, but I'm not holding my breath.No such promise has been made. If anything it will likely be half left turn only and half other.

extramundane
03-02-08, 05:05 PM
No such promise has been made. If anything it will likely be half left turn only and half other.

You're making the (mistaken) assumption that TG cares about preserving the "oval heritage", blah blah blah crap that suckered the gomerati in the first place.

Ovals have been disappearing from the IRL schedule since day one. Now that he's got his chance to have Long Beach, RA, etc, they'll continue to disappear until the schedule is truly CART II. By 2010 (assuming he hasn't steered into the iceberg by then), the schedule will have fewer ovals than CART '96-99 did. Bank on it.

trish
03-02-08, 05:16 PM
You're making the (mistaken) assumption that TG cares about preserving the "oval heritage", blah blah blah crap that suckered the gomerati in the first place.

Ovals have been disappearing from the IRL schedule since day one. Now that he's got his chance to have Long Beach, RA, etc, they'll continue to disappear until the schedule is truly CART II. By 2010 (assuming he hasn't steered into the iceberg by then), the schedule will have fewer ovals than CART '96-99 did. Bank on it.

I don't think that even TG or the IRL leadership is that stupid. If anyone in this country cared about the type of racing you're suggesting, F1 would have had great tv numbers in the US and would have sold out their Indy race. They supposedly have everything a CC fan could want and it didn't amount to much here. Yet the IRL can practically fill Indy with a sub-par product. Champ Car had a better road racing product than the IRL, yet it didn't have any impact on their tv ratings or attendance. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, they got some of their worst ratings ever last year. And please, don't take this as an opportunity to bash Americans and their tastes. Not you specifically, but anyone who is inclined to do so.

extramundane
03-02-08, 06:13 PM
I don't think that even TG or the IRL leadership is that stupid.

That the IRL has abandoned a 100% oval, US-centric platform to one that resembles pre-split CART in structure more every year suggests you're wrong.

trish
03-02-08, 06:18 PM
That the IRL has abandoned a 100% oval, US-centric platform to one that resembles pre-split CART in structure more every year suggests you're wrong.

CART was successful when they had the right balance. So I certainly hope that openwheel racing can find the right balance again. And I'm hoping for a better car. I choose to be slightly more positive. Those still paying attention will see how it unfolds.

Tim
03-02-08, 06:30 PM
New Family Guy tonight so I'm going to skip it.

grungex
03-02-08, 07:08 PM
Rebroadcast is at 8:00 am our time...

trish
03-02-08, 07:56 PM
http://broadband.tsn.ca/tsn/?id=1937&vid=34995

PT Interview TSN

Chiphead_Dave
03-02-08, 10:44 PM

I know I had some level of blinders on about this.

I just kept hoping that FTG would lose interest or maybe aliens would abduct him.

extramundane
03-02-08, 11:21 PM
So Gerry's prepared to keep PT under contract even if the team has shut down?

Principled, indeed.

trish
03-02-08, 11:22 PM
Looks like PT won't be doing much work this year unless Jerry puts him in an Atlantic car. :laugh: I bet he wishes he redid his contract now.

Lux Interior
03-02-08, 11:32 PM
PT Called Helio "Twinkletoes Castroneves" :rofl:

dando
03-02-08, 11:35 PM
So Gerry's prepared to keep PT under contract even if the team has shut down?

Principled, indeed.

As I posted previously, IMHO, he's throwing a fit to F FTG. *shrug*

-Kevin

Fio1
03-03-08, 01:24 AM
Maybe PT will end up driving a Forsythe car in grand-Am or something; maybe Busch or trucks.