PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cheap beer?

stroker
03-01-08, 12:23 AM
I'm trying to save some money to pay for the new kid's formula, etc. I'm looking at what would otherwise be undrinkable beers. Tried some Schlitz last month, it was bad. Bought some PBR, and it was drinkable. Not drinking a bunch, just one with dinner, usually.

Suggestions?

cameraman
03-01-08, 12:27 AM
Trust your own taste bud's tolerance. Test drive them (as it were).

extramundane
03-01-08, 01:45 AM
If you're able to get it (they're mostly east-coast, dunno where you are), try Yuengling. Doesn't matter which variety, since the lager, ale, light lager and black & tan all taste the same (:saywhat:).

But if you're really only having one with dinner, I'd say don't skimp. Friend of mine started doing that when he had his first kid, lasted about 3 weeks before he realized the $25/month he saved wasn't that big of a deal.

Sean O'Gorman
03-01-08, 02:06 AM
Yeah but you forgot what the kid drinks too, so make it more like $50.

I bought a $3 six-pack of some Chinese beer back in December, Yinpu or something like that. It was good. Maybe it was leaded. :p

Don Quixote
03-01-08, 10:49 AM
Do they still make Hamms?

OW
03-01-08, 10:56 AM
Amortise - Buy 30 packs

Can be dangerous though

Good luck

rosawendel
03-01-08, 11:14 AM
i remember olympia beer being pretty good. haven't had it in a good 20 years though.

stroker
03-01-08, 11:20 AM
15 years ago I was drinking Old Milwaukee when necessary. I won't try Red White & Blue or Milwaukee's Best though--I literally spit them out when I tried them in college.

I think Yngling went out of business (or were sold). Rhinelander used to be available by the case for stupid-cheap money but that grocery store went belly-up.

Then again, since I'm washing bottles maybe I should just start brewing my own...

eiregosod
03-01-08, 11:26 AM
Tuborg from Denmark, though Guinness now make it and they make it right.

chop456
03-01-08, 12:08 PM
Grain Belt, Baby. :tony:

KaBoom21
03-01-08, 12:17 PM
PBR was the only cheap beer I could stomach. Is it even cheap anymore now that the hipsters drink it?

dando
03-01-08, 12:26 PM
Yuengling. Can't get it here, tho. :( I stock up when we're in NJ for the summer vacation. Surprisingly I can find it in SC, but not here in oHIo and it's brewed right next door in PA. :\

-Kevin

Lux Interior
03-01-08, 12:31 PM
Rolling Rock? Is that stuff still cheap?

Srsly,

Drink good beer and cut back. I'd rather drink drink one Murphy's than three cheap beers.

Rogue Leader
03-01-08, 01:21 PM
Rolling Rock? Is that stuff still cheap?

Srsly,

Drink good beer and cut back. I'd rather drink drink one Murphy's than three cheap beers.

:thumbup:

Life is too short to drink cheap beer. Just think, you never know what could happen, and that PBR could be your last one. I'd rather go down with a Guiness in my belly.

High Sided
03-01-08, 01:30 PM
Grain Belt, Baby. :tony:

haven't seen that since walgreens sold beer, is it still around? :yuck:

extramundane
03-01-08, 01:54 PM
Yuengling. Can't get it here, tho. :( I stock up when we're in NJ for the summer vacation. Surprisingly I can find it in SC, but not here in oHIo and it's brewed right next door in PA. :\

-Kevin

They've really kicked up distribution the last couple of years. I suspect they'll be in OH before too long.

chop456
03-01-08, 02:58 PM
PBR was the only cheap beer I could stomach. Is it even cheap anymore now that the hipsters drink it?

30-packs were $14 all summer by me.

Andrew Longman
03-01-08, 03:04 PM
Can recommend Rolling Rock if you like a crisp pilsner with some character. They stopped making it in Latrobe last year though. AB bought it and its now made in Newark. I don't know if they ruined it.

Yuengling is a very good beer. The lager is their classic but they have a few others now. Oldest US brewery in Pottsville NE of Philly. 25 years ago before microbrewerys and such it was very, very cheap. Like 3.29 a 12 and a huge secret. People wouldn't buy it because they assumed it sucked.

And Old Milwaukee sits atop the super cheap beer. When I was young, stupid, poor and drinking an Old Mil 12 and a liter of Jim Beam was pretty much standard issue for the weekend... with friends ;)

OW
03-01-08, 03:27 PM
I do remember Old Milwaukee had the best (taste/cost) ratio 30 years ago.
I sounds like it may still be true....

Time for composite analysis and reply Stroker

We're all curoius...

G.
03-01-08, 03:34 PM
I do remember Old Milwaukee had the best (taste/cost) ratio 30 years ago.
..Maybe, but try to get drunk on it.:laugh:

Lux Interior
03-01-08, 03:41 PM
This thread has me thinking back to my misspent youth - cases of Little Kings and the ever popular Mickey's Big Mouth:D :thumbup: :D

oddlycalm
03-01-08, 04:09 PM
This thread has me thinking back to my misspent youth - cases of Little Kings and the ever popular Mickey's Big Mouth:D :thumbup: :D I'm with you on the Schoenling Little Kings but the jars of Mickey's bring back memories of nasty mornings after the night before.

oc

RTKar
03-01-08, 04:44 PM
I remember when Leinie's was the excellent tasting cheap beer in northern Wis during my college days...that and Fox Deluxe. Then Leinie's became "hip / trendy" and city folk found it, Miller bought it and mass marketing came...still tastes alright though.

dando
03-01-08, 05:02 PM
Yuengling is a very good beer. The lager is their classic but they have a few others now. Oldest US brewery in Pottsville NE of Philly. 25 years ago before microbrewerys and such it was very, very cheap. Like 3.29 a 12 and a huge secret. People wouldn't buy it because they assumed it sucked.

They have a Black and Tan that's quite tasty as well. It amazes me that they haven't bothered to try to tap this market. Heck, we even have Shiner widely available here. :irked:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-01-08, 05:31 PM
dando: yes, the Black and Tan was always my favorite.

stroker
03-01-08, 07:17 PM
They have a Black and Tan that's quite tasty as well. It amazes me that they haven't bothered to try to tap this market. Heck, we even have Shiner widely available here. :irked:

-Kevin

Shiner Bock is great!

dando
03-01-08, 07:21 PM
Shiner Bock is great!

Yup. One of my faves, but hardly a cheap beer @ ~$7/sixer here. :(

-Kevin