PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe takes his ball home.

Pages : [1] 2

momotan
02-28-08, 02:42 PM
Forsythe has decided to give FTG one last middle finger before calling it a day. The team has ceased operation. Sucks for PT.

G.
02-28-08, 02:46 PM
So now Pacific Coast gets to copy off of AGR's term paper?

I really didn't expect this. Atlantics team continues with Hinch and Garza.

Spicoli
02-28-08, 02:47 PM
you blame him?

:shakehead

Ugly.

momotan
02-28-08, 02:49 PM
Let's hope for PCM this is the case. What are they going to copy from Foyt? And wouldn't he be busy first pitching a fit like he said he would? As for Forsythe, I hope this doesn't start some kind of Domino effect and we only have like 20 cars on the grid.

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 02:52 PM
Has anybody actually seen the dance card vis-a-vis team partnerships? I mean, we know KVR and Ganassi are BFFs, and NHLR and Rahal are working together. Beyond that, I haven't seen any of the other pairings. Anybody got a real list?

G.
02-28-08, 02:56 PM
Has anybody actually seen the dance card vis-a-vis team partnerships? I mean, we know KVR and Ganassi are BFFs, and NHLR and Rahal are working together. Beyond that, I haven't seen any of the other pairings. Anybody got a real list?

as real as a MindyStar blog... (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=223932&postcount=67)

Question: What are the pairings the IRL has for the former Champ Car teams? (Dan, Nashville, Tenn.)

Answer: Forsythe with AGR, KV with Ganassi, Conquest with Vision, Walker with Penske, Minardi and Coyne with Panther, Newman/Haas with Rahal, and Pacific Coast with Foyt. Rocketsports wasn't assigned.

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 02:58 PM
Thanks.

Interesting that Minardi and Coyne are paired with Panther -- that would seem to indicate one car each from Minardi and Coyne. I've heard from several places that Minardi was running two ...

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 03:02 PM
More: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/forsythe-championship-racing-ceases-operations/

Keeping the Atlantics team. May be back in 09.

Not totally getting/buying the "lack of sponsorship" thing. He hasn't had sponsorship in several years other than the Indeck "marketing expense"

Now even with a free cars, engines and $1.2MM in tony bucks its not worth it? I think he think 08 is going to be such a clusterfub that he'd rather just sit it out. (as so many fans will)

Don Quixote
02-28-08, 03:03 PM
So have we now established that Gerry's the only single person in all of motorsports in the entire world that stands on his principals? :\

Napoleon
02-28-08, 03:05 PM
Interestingly they will run LB, which will make that race the first IRL race I have watched in years and likely the last I will watch in years, or ever.

G.
02-28-08, 03:06 PM
More: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/forsythe-championship-racing-ceases-operations/

Keeping the Atlantics team. May be back in 09.

Not totally getting/buying the "lack of sponsorship" thing. He hasn't had sponsorship in several years other than the Indeck "marketing expense"

Now even with a free cars, engines and $1.2MM in tony bucks its not worth it? I think he think 08 is going to be such a clusterfub that he'd rather just sit it out. (as so many fans will)Rumor is that GF absolutely HATES ftg, with a HATE so deep that puts all here, and even Cam's place, to shame.

And GF can afford to be principled. And he can afford to fire his race team.:shakehead :thumdown:

G.
02-28-08, 03:09 PM
Interestingly they will run LB, which will make that race the first IRL race I have watched in years and likely the last I will watch in years, or ever.Just wait. When Scooter Goodyear 'splains to you what "understeer" is, you'll be hooked.:thumbup:

GF is running LB to give FTG the bird.:D

dando
02-28-08, 03:11 PM
Fugging brilliant. I'll throw a bigger fit than you, FTG. :saywhat:

-Kevin

G.
02-28-08, 03:12 PM
“I got a call from Neil (Mickelwright, president of Forsythe Racing) this morning and he said, ‘I’ve got some bad news for you,’” related Tracy from his home in Las Vegas.

“Neil said he’d been trying to get a hold of my manager but he was having a colonoscopy today. That’s ironic ‘cause that’s what I feel like I got.”
:rofl:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tracy-out-in-the-market/

momotan
02-28-08, 03:13 PM
No doubt, he hates FTG and this is a total FU to FTG. Sending a crew member to the meeting was merely posturing. If KK can run a team without any real sponsors, so can Forsythe, he just doesn't want to. If someone else pays the bill, great, otherwise, he's not spending his own cash to help that prick out, and you can't blame him. Some people will say sour grapes, others will say principals. Whatever. Still sucks for PT.

KLang
02-28-08, 03:16 PM
So have we now established that Gerry's the only single person in all of motorsports in the entire world that stands on his principals? :\

Plus a few of us fans. ;)

I think Forsythe is probably just sick and tired of the whole mess.

extramundane
02-28-08, 03:17 PM
No doubt, he hates FTG and this is a total FU to FTG. Sending a crew member to the meeting was merely posturing. If KK can run a team without any real sponsors, so can Forsythe, he just doesn't want to. If someone else pays the bill, great, otherwise, he's not spending his own cash to help that prick out, and you can't blame him. Some people will say sour grapes, others will say principals. Whatever. Still sucks for PT.

It sucks for the rest of the team, the rank-and-file folks who just got canned. It's a bump in the road for PT, but he'll have another job shortly. A whole lot of others aren't going to be as fortunate.

Gnam
02-28-08, 03:21 PM
I would like to see PT in a Forsythe car at Long Beach one more time.

When do the PT to N/HL start? ;)

Ruben Barrios
02-28-08, 03:50 PM
Another take would be that KK had to sell because one of his partners (ajem GF) decided to stop investing...

No two car effort for 2007
Wanting drivers to bring their own paycheck
Trying to renegotiate PT's contract
Not showing up most of 2007...

Maybe!

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 03:52 PM
I would like to see PT in a Forsythe car at Long Beach one more time.

When do the PT to N/HL start? ;)

"Start?" H=ll, Spikkly started that 10 days ago!;)

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 03:56 PM
Fugging brilliant. I'll throw a bigger fit than you, FTG. :saywhat:

-Kevin

That's how I'm seeing this. He has every right to, but c'mon, if PCM, Conquest, and others are gonna try, you really believe Unka Gerry couldn't have pulled this off?

Good luck to the crew members.

PS: Start your PT to Vision$ rumors now!:gomer: :rofl:

rosawendel
02-28-08, 04:05 PM
22 posts before the phrase "chrome horn" comes into play?

i'm very dissapointed in all of you.

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 04:08 PM
...you really believe Unka Gerry couldn't have pulled this off?

Mickelwright said without the $ to do the development allowed in the IRL they had no hope of running up front. After last year, GF has said repeatedly he wants to contend for a championship. He hated being a backmarker enough he didn't even show up at the races and he's sick of it.

Or so the story goes, but running at the back AND helping TG with the mess of a season would not please me.

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 04:13 PM
Mickelwright said without the $ to do the development allowed in the IRL they had no hope of running up front. After last year, GF has said repeatedly he wants to contend for a championship. He hated being a backmarker enough he didn't even show up at the races and he's sick of it.

Or so the story goes, but running at the back AND helping TG with the mess of a season would not please me.

The only thing worse than failing is not trying. Struggling through '08 like everybody else and coming out the other end with a competitive team that can win races and content for a championship in 2009 and beyond would say a lot about his character.

Unfortunately, so does packing it in before you even try.

We'll see if he makes it back in '09, but I have my doubts.

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 04:14 PM

Directed at Gerry: Oh, cry me an effin' river, Unka.:shakehead Newsflash: EVERY CC team has to deal with that dynamic, and, for the most part, have accepted it. If that's how you felt, then you should have warned PT and the crew what would happen in case of unification/buyout. Chickenbleep, IMHO.

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 04:22 PM

We have? Why doesn't come out and say so, instead of whining about $$$?

Dr. Corkski
02-28-08, 04:26 PM
Question: What are the pairings the IRL has for the former Champ Car teams? (Dan, Nashville, Tenn.)

Answer: Forsythe with AGR, KV with Ganassi, Conquest with Vision, Walker with Penske, Minardi and Coyne with Panther, Newman/Haas with Rahal, and Pacific Coast with Foyt. Rocketsports wasn't assigned.:rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pchall
02-28-08, 04:27 PM
The only thing worse than failing is not trying. Struggling through '08 like everybody else and coming out the other end with a competitive team that can win races and content for a championship in 2009 and beyond would say a lot about his character.

Not even bothering with Tony's Aborted Vision™ is not worse than failure. It is, in many ways, superior to participating in the sell out.

Rocketsports wasn't assigned.

Rumor has it Paul G's been holding out for partnership with Sarah Fisher and Al Unser, Jr. to form a three car "Classy Chassis" sponsored IRL superteam.

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 04:27 PM
^^^^^^^^MY GAWD!!!! That might be the smartest thing they've ever done!:laugh:

Referring to Cork's good catch.

Chief
02-28-08, 04:33 PM
Not even bothering with Tony's Aborted Vision™ is not worse than failure. It is, in many ways, superior to participating in the sell out.
Here Here!:thumbup:

robot9000
02-28-08, 04:36 PM
Nice commitment to "The Sport".

I guess FTG isn't the only one thats all about control :shakehead

He'll be back in '09 like I'll be dating Halle Barry. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 04:42 PM
Calling GF chicken or a spoilsport is IMO a bit off. Its his money. Racing this year will no longer support a business he owns. Racing this year will not make or break the sport. He's racing at LB because it WILL make that race happen. Racing this season will not be fun for CC teams. Its his choice.

In 09 it is not crazy to think that a more viable rational schedule and even a switch to DP01s and turbos might happen. If it does, it will be worth it to GF to play.

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 04:47 PM
In 09 it is not crazy to think that a more viable rational schedule and even a switch to DP01s and turbos might happen. If it does, it will be worth it to GF to play.

It is absolutely crazy to think that a switch to the Panoz/Cosworth package will happen in 2009. They're not going to spend a *****oad of money to buy new equipment for half the field this year and then turn around and do it all over again next season. :saywhat:

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 04:48 PM
Calling GF chicken or a spoilsport is IMO a bit off. Its his money. Racing this year will no longer support a business he owns. Racing this year will not make or break the sport. He's racing at LB because it WILL make that race happen. Racing this season will not be fun for CC teams. Its his choice.

"Do EXACTLY what I want or I quit!":cry:

He has money for 3 LB cars, but not enough for ICS? Riiiiiiiight.:rolleyes:

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 04:53 PM

I don't buy the ******** line about not being able to afford it either, but let's be honest -- he already owns three chassis and three of damn near everything else you need to go racing for a weekend. Running three cars at Long Beach will not be much of an expense compared to running a full season in IndyCar.

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 04:56 PM
"Do EXACTLY what I want or I quit!":cry:

Running 3-4 cars he already owns for a race he will lose a lawsuit over if he doesn't make it happen is far different than running 20 races in equipment he doesn't even have yet.

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 04:56 PM
I don't buy the ******** line about not being able to afford it either, but let's be honest -- he already owns three chassis and three of damn near everything else you need to go racing for a weekend. Running three cars at Long Beach will not be much of an expense compared to running a full season in IndyCar.

True.:thumbup:

Should be a stellar driver lineup for FCR at LB.:thumbup: :gomer:

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 04:57 PM
It is absolutely crazy to think that a switch to the Panoz/Cosworth package will happen in 2009. They're not going to spend a *****oad of money to buy new equipment for half the field this year and then turn around and do it all over again next season. :saywhat:

I'll start another thread on this point. I don't want to hijack this one.

GLenz
02-28-08, 04:57 PM
True.:thumbup:

Should be a stellar driver lineup for FCR at LB.:thumbup: :gomer:

Can I drive? :D

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 05:00 PM
Can I drive? :D

You and a Sperafico or two?

dando
02-28-08, 05:04 PM

And so they expect to come back in '09 and compete? BS. It's his $$$, his toys, his decision. I smell a turd. :irked:

-Kevin

FTG
02-28-08, 05:16 PM
It is absolutely crazy

I can't believe that you used to work in open wheel and still believe that the stupid won't happen. The stupid is virtually inevitable: especially now.

Good for Jerry life's too short to race ugly cars.

redmist
02-28-08, 05:17 PM

Unfortunately, so does packing it in before you even try.

We'll see if he makes it back in '09, but I have my doubts.

why should he try if he's not interested, it's his name on the water tower he can do what he damn well pleases, you act like he owes you something.
how many cars you running next year in the irl?
are you going to start crying because hendrick and yates and roush arent fielding teams to help push this glorious endeavor forward?

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 05:18 PM
I can't believe that you used to work in open wheel and still believe that the stupid won't happen. The stupid is virtually inevitable: especially now.

Good for Jerry life's too short to race ugly cars.

It would serve no purpose whatsoever to switch, and every single team owner in the series will tell that to anyone who will listen. It ain't gonna happen.

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 05:20 PM
why should he try if he's not interested, it's his name on the water tower he can do what he damn well pleases, you act like he owes you something.
are you going to start crying because hendrick and yates and roush arent fielding teams to help push this glorious endeavor forward?

:tony:

I've said plenty of times today all over the intertubes that he shouldn't run IndyCar if he doesn't see any value in it. Nice try, though.

redmist
02-28-08, 05:35 PM

I've said plenty of times today all over the intertubes that he shouldn't run IndyCar if he doesn't see any value in it. Nice try, though.

your posts say otherwise, nice try though. ;)

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 05:40 PM
your posts say otherwise, nice try though. ;)

Believe whatever you want. Only one of us is under the impression that I think Forsythe owes me anything. :rofl:

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 06:05 PM

Fine. A little intellectual honesty would be nice, however. If he doesn't like what's happened, THEN SAY SO. I'd understand it.

FTG
02-28-08, 06:17 PM
and every single team owner in the series will tell that to anyone who will listen.

Why do you assume that someone will listen to team owners?

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 06:18 PM
Fine. A little intellectual honesty would be nice, however. If he doesn't like what's happened, THEN SAY SO. I'd understand it.

I'd understand it and enjoy it too. But why supply a quote that will float for centuries on the internet and inflame the uber-indy-centrists who would see it as yet another elitist disrespectful swipe at the master of the mecca and his hallowed race? THey'll find it especially offensive now that we've finally come to a "time of healing and growth"

I think what he said was actually more damning. Even after a merger, the I500 on the schedule, free stuff and TEAM money, the sport still doesn't work as a business and can't draw sufficient sponsorship.

FTG
02-28-08, 06:18 PM
If he doesn't like what's happened, THEN SAY SO.

He did. It's not his fault that you don't speak press release.

Ed_Severson
02-28-08, 06:24 PM
I think what he said was actually more damning. Even after a merger, the I500 on the schedule, free stuff and TEAM money, the sport still doesn't work as a business and can't draw sufficient sponsorship.

Except that the merger isn't even a week old. Pretty disingenuous to sit around for six days and then proclaim to the world that "the team has been unable to secure the necessary sponsorship to be able to compete in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series in 2008." Do you honestly think he even bothered trying?

Racing Truth
02-28-08, 06:27 PM
I'd understand it and enjoy it too. But why supply a quote that will float for centuries on the internet and inflame the uber-indy-centrists who would see it as yet another elitist disrespectful swipe at the master of the mecca and his hallowed race? THey'll find it especially offensive now that we've finally come to a "time of healing and growth"

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on. So, he's being obtuse b/c he's afraid of the :gomer: tards? Wow, talk about some valor and courage there!:thumbup:

Sorry, most in the sport have a hunch, so just saying "I no longer feel comfortable with the direction of OW racing- though I wish it well- and have decided, for now, not to compete..." is saying too much?

FTG: No, sorry, doesn't work. Say it, or tell someone, so it gets out. This obtuse PR, leaving the door open for '09, is silly.

shaggy_socal
02-28-08, 06:33 PM
You and a Sperafico or two?

Was on a chat session last Friday night at CCF and the question came up what drivers might show up at LB. The list was very entertaining. Almost worth starting a thread for it. :)

FTG
02-28-08, 06:37 PM
"the team has been unable to secure the necessary sponsorship to be able to compete in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series in 2008." Do you honestly think he even bothered trying?

You'd have to be stupid to think he tried. Expecting people not to be stupid isn't obtuse, though perhaps it is overly optimistic.

cameraman
02-28-08, 06:37 PM
Sorry, most in the sport have a hunch, so just saying "I no longer feel comfortable with the direction of OW racing- though I wish it well- and have decided, for now, not to compete..." is saying too much?

Yes actually it is. He isn't going to race, it doesn't matter why. He did not have sponsorship lined up so a lack of sponsorship claim is valid even if it is not the primary reason.

Ruben Barrios
02-28-08, 06:44 PM
So he didn't want to participate in the IRL... good, that's his prorrogative...!

He didn't want to merge... ok then don't sign...!!! He didn't want to field a team... have the decency to tell your employees to start preparing their resumes...!!!

A decent person doesn't do what he did to his employees... He did to his teams exactly the same thing Adrian Fernandez and Bobby Rahal did to CART... It's called backstabbing... and one thing is clear you do not backstab the people that have helped you!! It is just classless!!

FTG
02-28-08, 06:47 PM
Anyone, anywhere in open wheel, who doesn't keep their resume updated is an idiot.

Ruben Barrios
02-28-08, 06:49 PM
^^ So that makes it ok..?

momotan
02-28-08, 06:51 PM
Except that the merger isn't even a week old. Pretty disingenuous to sit around for six days and then proclaim to the world that "the team has been unable to secure the necessary sponsorship to be able to compete in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series in 2008." Do you honestly think he even bothered trying?

He probably had a gag order he had to respect in this merger agreement. If it's anything like most deals, you can't say anything negative or anything that could influence the outcome until an official announcement is made. The official announcement was made so, he sent out the press release middle finger the next day. He probably has to respect a non-insult clause too so unfortunately, we won't hear him tell us what a total A-hole FTG is.

FTG
02-28-08, 07:10 PM

Your question is like asking whether the sky coming up in the morning is OK. Company loses money, people get fired: just the way it is. They should consider themselves lucky that GF was willing to lose money for so many years.

Ruben Barrios
02-28-08, 07:13 PM
Ok... you are right... you win! it's thier fault!

cameraman
02-28-08, 07:16 PM
The guy that is getting royally screwed is Franck Montagny. PT will probably find an IRL ride somewhere. I can't see that happening with Montagny. Every ALMS, LMS, GP2 and testing seat that is worth a damn is already filled for 2008.:shakehead

gerhard911
02-28-08, 07:26 PM
So he didn't want to participate in the IRL... good, that's his prorrogative...!

He didn't want to merge... ok then don't sign...!!! He didn't want to field a team... have the decency to tell your employees to start preparing their resumes...!!!

A decent person doesn't do what he did to his employees... He did to his teams exactly the same thing Adrian Fernandez and Bobby Rahal did to CART... It's called backstabbing... and one thing is clear you do not backstab the people that have helped you!! It is just classless!!

I am a little confused. How is what Gerry "did to his teams" different from what CCWS just did to their employees ?

Ruben Barrios
02-28-08, 07:30 PM
No difference!! The whole situation was managed with thier feet... most the team owners (separate from CCWS owners) have shown decency and empathy, they are trully trying to stay afloat and find a way to continue the business...

Wheel-Nut
02-28-08, 08:00 PM
Why are people bagging on Gerry? Maybe he's just tired and wants to step away for now. Respect the mans decision, it's no longer his series to worry about.

nrc
02-28-08, 08:16 PM

He's had no luck since Players left. Do you think the sponsorship floodgates are going to open between now and the first IRL race?

For all we know he flat out told them when the deal was done that he wouldn't be participating. If I were in their shoes I'd ask him if he would at least wait a few days to announce that so as not to distract from the love-in over the announcement.

miatanut
02-28-08, 08:34 PM
Good for GF! :thumbup:

redmist
02-28-08, 08:53 PM

no it makes it reality. life has a way of kicking you in the balls repeatedly.

Insomniac
02-28-08, 10:47 PM

I missed the part where he wasn't going to pay anyone anything or provide a severance package.

Gnam
02-29-08, 01:42 AM
Good for GF! :thumbup:
The sidelines is a place too. :D

The only way the rejection could have been sweeter is if he'd bailed after qualifying at Indy, leaving a nice two-car size hole in the middle of the starting grid. And then light the Dallaras on fire in the middle of pit lane. :flame:

miatanut
02-29-08, 02:29 AM
The sidelines is a place too. :D

The only way the rejection could have been sweeter is if he'd bailed after qualifying at Indy, leaving a nice two-car size hole in the middle of the starting grid. And then light the Dallaras on fire in the middle of pit lane. :flame:

Maybe he'll do an Indy one-off so he can! :laugh:

Cam
02-29-08, 08:32 AM
GF hasn't attended a race since Allmenwanker slapped him in the face with his generous deal and went cabbing,

You can say all you want but that was a defining moment in all that has happened in the series. Gerry saw Allmenwanker as a saviour. He then went and betrayed all trust there was.

I dont blame Gerry,

Spicoli
02-29-08, 09:37 AM
Maybe he'll do an Indy one-off so he can! :laugh:

gerry is not done. watch.

I have to go make some snow.

ferrarigod
02-29-08, 10:42 AM
gerry is not done. watch.

I have to go make some snow.

will we hear by august,,?

Ziggy
02-29-08, 11:07 AM
After thirteen years and we have to read this tripe

"Decent People in Racing"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ps - Michael Jackson is a great babysitter !

JoeBob
02-29-08, 11:20 AM
I've wondered if Player's was giving Gerry money under the table. He never did change away from a Player's Blue car, and kept paying Canadian hero an awful lot of Paul Tracy to drive it. Canadian law is much more strict than the tobacco settlement here (which is not law). Player's isn't allowed to pay a dime in advertising. Marlboro can spend all they want, they've just agreed not to put the word "Marlboro" on anything at a sporting event.

I wouldn't be surprised if racing in Toronto was a condition of Player's buying Indeck "power supplies" with the understanding that Indeck would spend some of the profits on advertising. With Toronto gone (for now), the under the table money would also be gone.

Chiphead_Dave
02-29-08, 12:41 PM
1. We haven't heard if he is firing his employees.
2. PT is drinking coolaid (I can't decide if I am losing respect for him).
3. My guess is that GF couldn't make an announcement until after he
got his Tonybucks.
4. I woudn't field a team in the TwIRL either.

And I am ashamed to know that so many people here are selling out and drinking the coolaid so easily.

/FLAME SUIT ON

extramundane
02-29-08, 12:52 PM
And I am ashamed to know that so many people here are selling out and drinking the coolaid so easily.

I don't see anyone here "selling out and drinking the coolaid." Some people are choosing to walk away, some are choosing to give it a shot on the off chance TG actually gets something right, and some (myself included) know it's gonna suck but are fascinated by the coming trainwreck. I don't see anyone here suggesting that TG running the whole show is a great thing for AOW.

Kool-Aid comes in many flavors, and TG's not the only one serving it.

mueber
02-29-08, 12:57 PM
Nothing about this mess has been elegant. If Gerry doesn’t want to play anymore, well, neither do I. Does that make me a “bad” person? Not a real race fan? NO, it makes me someone who is fed up with everyone involved, capable of making his on decisions, and someone who has always wanted to see a Grand Prix and will spend the money he usually spends on Cleveland and Road America on the Canadian Grand Prix.

If there is one thing I’ve learned about the principals in open wheel is that it is all about me, regardless of whether the me is Tony George, Bobby Rahal, Michael Andretti or Roger Penske. So, Gerry can do what he wants with his time and money; I can do what I want with mine.

G.
02-29-08, 01:10 PM
True, but,

The Long Beach entries will be run by Forysythe Racing, the team’s Atlantic Series arm, which will continue operations.

FCR is dead, long live FR.

Don Quixote
02-29-08, 01:36 PM
Yep, surprises me as well. Based on simple analysis of history, this new "experiment" has no chance. What evidence can anybody show me that TG or his entourage can grow a brain? what evidence from the past would lead you to believe that these team owners will do anything that is not directly related to putting cash in their own greasy pockets? What evidence does anybody have that the crapwagons will overnight become racey, safe, and watchable? :yuck:

Don Quixote
02-29-08, 01:37 PM
"Decent People in Racing"
OMG :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Al Czervik
02-29-08, 02:06 PM
will we hear by august,,?

Needs more ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

oddlycalm
02-29-08, 03:53 PM
Mikey The Weasel felt compelled to hold forth on this subject.
The Weasel speaks (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65376)

There has to be a reason he was doing the things he was doing (in Champ Car), and I just didn't see him (Forsythe) caving in to come over here Gee, when you put it that way Mikey I'm kinda glad he didn't. Maybe he's just allergic to vermin...?

And on PT's fate...

"Paul is great and all, but he doesn't have any experience in these cars and he's getting a little old," Andretti said.

"We're looking at 19- and 20-year olds, and he's almost 40. But it would be a shame if he didn't get a ride. I hope to God he gets a ride, I really do.

Andretti suggested that Vision - who ran three cars in 2007 but have only announced AJ Foyt IV and Ed Carpenter as 2008 drivers - would be a good destination for Tracy.

"That's the first thing that came to my head," he said. "That would be the best place for him to go." No one can say Mikey isn't a class guy. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
02-29-08, 03:56 PM
Yep, surprises me as well. Based on simple analysis of history, this new "experiment" has no chance. What evidence can anybody show me that TG or his entourage can grow a brain? what evidence from the past would lead you to believe that these team owners will do anything that is not directly related to putting cash in their own greasy pockets? What evidence does anybody have that the crapwagons will overnight become racey, safe, and watchable? :yuck:

Why did you ever start watching racing if that bothers you? When wasn't that the case?

extramundane
02-29-08, 03:57 PM
We're looking at 19- and 20-year olds

Or nearing-30-year olds with big checks from Honda.

:crotchpunch:

Insomniac
02-29-08, 04:03 PM
"Paul is great and all, but he doesn't have any experience in these cars and he's getting a little old," Andretti said.

"We're looking at 19- and 20-year olds, and he's almost 40. But it would be a shame if he didn't get a ride. I hope to God he gets a ride, I really do.

Says the 45 year old who raced at Indy the last 2 years and raced full time in the IRL at ages 38-41.

Don Quixote
02-29-08, 06:12 PM
Why did you ever start watching racing if that bothers you? When wasn't that the case? Good point. Guess I'm a slow learner. :gomer: However, I doubt if I've ever said the IRL was racing.

grungex
02-29-08, 06:48 PM
I've wondered if Player's was giving Gerry money under the table. He never did change away from a Player's Blue car, and kept paying Canadian hero an awful lot of Paul Tracy to drive it. Canadian law is much more strict than the tobacco settlement here (which is not law). Player's isn't allowed to pay a dime in advertising. Marlboro can spend all they want, they've just agreed not to put the word "Marlboro" on anything at a sporting event.

I wouldn't be surprised if racing in Toronto was a condition of Player's buying Indeck "power supplies" with the understanding that Indeck would spend some of the profits on advertising. With Toronto gone (for now), the under the table money would also be gone.

Absolutely not.

TedN
02-29-08, 09:44 PM
Saw this mentioned elsewhere ....

Forsythe, Green, Indeck, Klein Tools, Villeneuve, Nascar

Possible maybe?

Ted

Spicoli
02-29-08, 10:10 PM
Absolutely not.

Agreed. In fact, Players & Gerra are in along standing, expensive litigation thing, and as the norm, there is much hate between Gerra & those that owe him. Players.

run, PT, run.....

However, been told he will 3-4 @ LBGP and 1 or 2 @Indy. Makes sense, why **** around with this year, when you can sit back, regroup, etc. IMHO, he's not done racing.

P.S. EARLY RETIREMENT VS. FIRED.

extramundane
02-29-08, 10:12 PM
However, been told he will 3-4 @ LBGP and 1 or 2 @Indy. Makes sense, why **** around with this year, when you can sit back, regroup, etc. IMHO, he's not done racing.

That's gonna cause some meltdowns.

grungex
02-29-08, 11:35 PM
Agreed. In fact, Players & Gerra are in along standing, expensive litigation thing, and as the norm, there is much hate between Gerra & those that owe him. Players.

AFAIK that's all done with....

ferrarigod
03-01-08, 12:45 AM
That's gonna cause some meltdowns.

at which forum? :rofl:

extramundane
03-01-08, 01:34 AM
at which forum? :rofl:

Yes. :D

Hesketh
03-01-08, 06:49 AM
I missed the part where he wasn't going to pay anyone anything or provide a severance package.

Oh gee, yippy, 2 weeks' severence!! Meanwhile, guys will be let go in April. Wonder just how many racing jobs will be available then?! :irked:

Yes, we have.

All this rubbish about Gerry having principles is laughable. Anyone notice Mickelwright saying they might be back in '09? What happened -- principles wear off in a year? :rolleyes: And as to Spick's rumor that Gerry might run Indy -- if Gerry's going to buy the cars and keep the crew to run Indy, why not just run all year? He's obviously keeping the shop to run Atlantics, so it really wouldn't be that difficult to run the full year in IRL. Oh wait, I forgot: it's $5 million or nothing, right? :gomer:

I hope PT finds a ride and tells Gerry to stuff it. Let him put 3 wankers in the car at Long Beach: it's what he deserves. :thumdown:

Racing Truth
03-01-08, 01:44 PM

run, PT, run.....

P.S. EARLY RETIREMENT VS. FIRED.

Now, wait a minute here. So, he's going to sit out all yr. (well, except the Speedway), only to rise from the ashes in, presumably, '09, WITH THE SAME CARS, and return to glory?:saywhat:

1. Don't really buy it.

2. If true, way to stick to principles Gerra.:gomer: :thumbup:

Insomniac
03-01-08, 03:58 PM
Oh gee, yippy, 2 weeks' severence!! Meanwhile, guys will be let go in April. Wonder just how many racing jobs will be available then?! :irked:

When I wrote that, no one said what was happening with the employees. I'm not sure what you expect. I'd expect severance pay (2 weeks is standard at many companies, I do not know if that is standard in auto racing) or him to honor contracts people signed. If he doesn't do that, then he's not honorable.

Andrew Longman
03-01-08, 05:45 PM
Now, wait a minute here. So, he's going to sit out all yr. (well, except the Speedway), only to rise from the ashes in, presumably, '09, WITH THE SAME CARS, and return to glory?:saywhat:

1. Don't really buy it.

2. If true, way to stick to principles Gerra.:gomer: :thumbup:

Believe what you want, but if you take his words literally he won't be back in 09 either without the sponsorship to be competitive. If over the next year he finds sponsorship and has the money to develop his car then he'll be back. Or, at least that's what he is saying.