PDA

View Full Version : Press conference will air live on speed & espn news

High Sided
02-26-08, 05:54 PM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/speed-to-carry-unification-press-conference-live/

12:30pm eastern

indycar.com will have live streaming video

nrc
02-26-08, 06:14 PM
Will it be on Race Director? :gomer:

redmist
02-26-08, 06:25 PM

i hope so, i'm all paid up for the next 3 years. ;)

Chief
02-27-08, 10:49 AM
Oh really...this is the biggest non event in autoracing history. The IRL is adding 9 teams to pad their sad-sack car counts from a VISION that never panned out nor was successful and resulted in the destruction of AOW.

I hold no optimisim that this press conference will answer any questions nor provide any direction at all. Above all, I expect to see Hulman-George arrogance and Indy elitism ratcheted up to high levels in front of a handful of journalists in a less than jam-packed press conference. Otherwise, the public couldn't care less.

Sean Malone
02-27-08, 10:52 AM
Oh really...this is the biggest non event in autoracing history. The IRL is adding 9 teams to pad their sad-sack car counts from a VISION that never panned out nor was successful and resulted in the destruction of AOW.

I hold no optimisim that this press conference will answer any questions nor provide any direction at all. Above all, I expect to see Hulman-George arrogance and Indy elitism ratcheted up to high levels in front of a handful of journalists in a less than jam-packed press conference. Otherwise, the public couldn't care less.

Yep. :thumbup:

High Sided
02-27-08, 11:01 AM
:gomer: but Robin Miller will be on-site providing commentary and perspective. :gomer:

SteveH
02-27-08, 11:30 AM
:gomer: but Robin Miller will be on-site providing commentary and perspective. :gomer:

Thankfully for that. Open wheel has been reduced to the point where precious few in the media even care enough to cover it. Take away the local Indy media and who besides Robin and John Oreowicz will be there? Very few, I'd think.

nrc
02-27-08, 01:30 PM
Robin on Speed now. "Sure glad I still have a job..."

G.
02-27-08, 01:33 PM
Indycar Race Control, coming March 29th, 2008.

(on indycar.com website)

I can't get the feed. Neither MSNBC or indycar feed. Locks up my innerweb real good. Missing a codec or sumptin.

dando
02-27-08, 01:35 PM
Indycar Race Control, coming March 29th, 2008.

(on indycar.com website)

I can't get the feed. Neither MSNBC or indycar feed. Locks up my innerweb real good. Missing a codec or sumptin.

I'll count the 'ums' for ya. :tony:

-Kevin

G.
02-27-08, 01:39 PM
got it thru espn.

no chat?

dando
02-27-08, 01:41 PM
Our chatmaster is bizzy making pizzas these days. :(

So there's no P in PKV anymore. Just KV racing.

-Kevin

extramundane
02-27-08, 01:41 PM
Coyne & Stoddart/Wiggins present. Doorknobs too.

indyfan31
02-27-08, 01:53 PM
What was that about DP01s at Montegi?

rosawendel
02-27-08, 01:54 PM
What was that about DP01s at Montegi?

I think it's about the potentail for motegi drivers to come to long beach the next day and do a double.

Ruben Barrios
02-27-08, 01:55 PM
Well at least TG says he wants more than 20 races a season... that's good...

dando
02-27-08, 02:03 PM
I think it's about the potentail for motegi drivers to come to long beach the next day and do a double.

I cannot even fathom how that could happen. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Easy
02-27-08, 02:12 PM
I cannot even fathom how that could happen. :saywhat:

-Kevin

They'll "take-off" right after the checkers at Twin Ring.

G.
02-27-08, 02:21 PM
I think it's about the potentail for motegi drivers to come to long beach the next day and do a double.for extra points? That legal?

G.
02-27-08, 02:21 PM
They'll "take-off" right after the checkers at Twin Ring.
Like what Dario did last year?

gnslpiaEAVA

FailureByDesign
02-27-08, 02:23 PM
Like what Dario did last year?

This year they will be using Hideki as a launching pad though. :p

eiregosod
02-27-08, 02:29 PM
fire up the grater

extramundane
02-27-08, 02:33 PM
for extra points? That legal?

You think they've thought that far ahead?

Chief
02-27-08, 02:36 PM
My worst fears were realized: That press conference was like a funeral procession and AOW was in the casket.

After seeing that I am convinced AOW is dead and ain't coming back, the IRL is run by a bunch of DOLTS and GOMERS.

Sorry gang, I ain't hitching my wagon to that. VERY painful to see it was....

eiregosod
02-27-08, 02:37 PM

FTG's attitude is "Let 'em eat cake"

nissan gtp
02-27-08, 02:37 PM
My worst fears were realized: That press conference was like a funeral procession and AOW was in the casket.

After seeing that I am convinced AOW is dead and ain't coming back, the IRL is run by a bunch of DOLTS and GOMERS.

what are the details ?
I'm cut off here at work

Gnam
02-27-08, 02:41 PM
what are the details ?
I'm cut off here at work
Can a poster get a transcript? Or a summary, or sumthin'?

redmist
02-27-08, 02:46 PM
what are the details ?
I'm cut off here at work

there weren't any. i was just a rehash of every thing we already knew. if i had to characterize it, i would say clusterf**k. every question was esentially answered "uh um uh uh uh... i don't know."

Chief
02-27-08, 02:49 PM
Details? I reckon the only details gathered were P has been dropped from PKV and Vasser and KK were out all night. Tony George is an utter dolt in front of the camera. I'm not sure a transcript would be useful....it was literally a total waste of anti-climatic time.

IF AOW has but one foot left....it just shot itself in it's one remaining foot. With a BAZOOKA.

In fact, I'd go as far to say i haven't seen a more brutal TV display since rioting hoods beat REGINALD DENNY senseless with rocks and cinder blocks during the LA/Rodney King riots back in 1994. That's how bad this press conference was.

G.
02-27-08, 02:49 PM
I can steal some things...

'KV Racing' and that KK was out on the town last night with Jimmy V.

The Champ Car safety team will be in this new series.

The Atlantics will run this year.

try to give CC teams one new and one used chassis, until they run out.

peace in racing fans, please.

KK will be involved in mngmnt (I do NOT believe that)

some drivers may try the monteghi LB double.

Gonna have trouble finding enough engines.

extramundane
02-27-08, 02:51 PM
there weren't any. i was just a rehash of every thing we already knew. if i had to characterize it, i would say clusterf**k. every question was esentially answered "uh um uh uh uh... i don't know."

Pretty much.

The big revelations were that Pettit is gone from PKV, CC safety equipment & certain personnel going to IRL, and Buddy Rice kinda looks like Spicoli.

Other than that, a lot of things may or may not happen, but "we're working really hard on them."

Chief
02-27-08, 02:58 PM

Yeah, they're hiring the head nurse (they couldn't even name her) and gonna grab the equipment. Other than that they're NOT SURE.

dando
02-27-08, 02:59 PM
Pretty much.

The big revelations were that Pettit is gone from PKV, CC safety equipment & certain personnel going to IRL, and Buddy Rice kinda looks like Spicoli.

Other than that, a lot of things may or may not happen, but "we're working really hard on them."

I feel sorry for Buddy Rice. :gomer:

TBD pretty much sums up the gist of the presser. ****, they couldn't even get the intro right, and the f'ed up the teleconference portion. :irked:

-Kevin

patski
02-27-08, 03:02 PM
Sure am glad I did not waste my time watching.

G.
02-27-08, 03:09 PM
Sure am glad I did not waste my time watching.I dunno. It was pretty funny.

Fave moment: FTG going on and on about lack of leadership, then mid-sentence pause lasts for about 10 seconds!:rofl: "..............directing things, you know."

OK, the guy can't speak well, BFD.

But he really has NO IDEA what is going on in his own org., nor in racing in general. THAT is scary. (A guy in charge of AOWR oughtta know something about support series.)

He deferred way too many questions to BB.

extramundane
02-27-08, 03:13 PM
Sure am glad I did not waste my time watching.

As G sez, it was high comedy. It singlehandedly changed my mind about watching this year. Before today, I had no interest. Now? I wouldn't miss this trainwreck for anything.

cart7
02-27-08, 03:24 PM
As G sez, it was high comedy. It singlehandedly changed my mind about watching this year. Before today, I had no interest. Now? I wouldn't miss this trainwreck for anything.

:laugh:

Looking forward to it myself. :thumbup:

Sean Malone
02-27-08, 03:36 PM
– "We are unified." The words motorsports fans worldwide have been longing to hear for more than a decade elicited cheers, toasts and even tears with the announcement Feb. 22.

My god, Kanaan and Helio still crying at the drop of a hat eh? $100 sez they hugged.

dando
02-27-08, 03:37 PM
I dunno. It was pretty funny.

Fave moment: FTG going on and on about lack of leadership, then mid-sentence pause lasts for about 10 seconds!:rofl: "..............directing things, you know."

OK, the guy can't speak well, BFD.

But he really has NO IDEA what is going on in his own org., nor in racing in general. THAT is scary. (A guy in charge of AOWR oughtta know something about support series.)

He deferred way too many questions to BB.

One wonders if he would register anything if an EEG was hooked to his noggin. :irked:

-Kevin

momotan
02-27-08, 03:38 PM
FTG did not seem to know what was going on and kept differing the barnhardt. That's actually the best news to come out of this. FTG is grand poobah in name only. The people with the brains appear to be able to run this thing, while he writes the checks. It will probably go down like this....

Tony Cotman " Tony, we need to get rid of rolling starts on the road courses"

FTG "umm, uhhhh....."

TC "Sign here to pay for Champcar's old start system"

FTG "ummm.......Ok"

Brian Barnhardt "Hey FTG, we need some more Dallaras for spare cars"

FTG "ummm....well....uhhhhhh"

BB "Just put your signature on this purchase order"

FTG "ummmm.....ok"

Boatdesigner
02-27-08, 03:51 PM
I had to turn it off, I couldn't stand to hear FTG say how the FIRL had so many contracts that just couldn't be broken. I guess it was no problem throwing every CCWS contract in the trash (well, except for LB). I am now convinced more than ever not to bother watching. I don't think I'll be able to stand to watch LB either. I can just hear the announcers saying how wonderful this will all be and how we should tune in to the IRL now. Yechhh!!:yuck: I am so glad they did this just for us fans, I am so much happier now.:shakehead

pchall
02-27-08, 04:00 PM
Well at least TG says he wants more than 20 races a season... that's good...

20+ x crap = a whole lot of crap

pchall
02-27-08, 04:05 PM

The Foyt Futility Watch is going to be BIG this season!
BIG, I tell ya'!

dando
02-27-08, 04:05 PM
AP summary:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=3267337

Kalkhoven called the agreement a huge step forward for open-wheel racing in North America.

"Tony and I have actually talked on and off [about unification] for four years," he said. "It's been a long and hard road to be able to get here, but we are here. I think the winners today are the fans, the teams, the drivers and the potential that we have to be able to grow the sport over the next few years.

"I've said many times that unification itself isn't some sort of magic bullet to be able to get us forward," Kalkhoven added. "It's going to take an awful lot of hard work, and that has already begun."

:irked:

-Kevin

pchall
02-27-08, 04:06 PM

The Foyt Futility Watch is going to be big this season! BIG, I tell ya'!

Sean Malone
02-27-08, 04:17 PM
In a deal made final Friday, IRL founder Tony George purchased some Champ Car assets and paid Champ Car owners an undisclosed amount to absorb their series.

That is the first time I've seen that mentioned. It's from the USAToday report.

link (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=:ePkh8BM9E2IF2mHAQoItAJJSBto/0-0&fp=47c5e48734510069&ei=xsPFR6KJNZu8ywSVwL1-&url=http%3A//www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/irl/2008-02-26-merger_N.htm&cid=1133278448&sig2=3K0chasmBsmetzrGQuwGrQ)

Wheel-Nut
02-27-08, 04:19 PM
Other elements of the agreement:

• Champ Car teams committing to the IndyCar Series and demonstrating the ability to fund operating budgets will be provided:

• One-year Honda basic engine lease
• Two Dallara chassis from a pool of new and used cars to the extent of the pool available for up to two seasons
• $1.2 million per car from the IndyCar TEAM program

• IndyCar Series officials developed an assistance program that assigned an IndyCar Series team to work directly with a Champ Car World Series team (i.e. Rahal Letterman Racing will work with Newman/Haas/Lanigan.)

LOL . . . .Who draws the short straws and get to work with Vision and Foyt? :D

• IndyCar Series officials have scheduled individual meetings with Champ Car World Series teams.

• IndyCar Series officials began preliminary discussions with ESPN/ABC regarding the expanded 2008 IndyCar Series schedule.

• In the agreement in principle, the IndyCar Series will purchase various non-tangible assets such as intellectual property and historical records from Champ Car. In addition, the IndyCar Series will purchase the Champ Car Medical transporter.

cameraman
02-27-08, 04:23 PM

• Champ Car teams committing to the IndyCar Series and demonstrating the ability to fund operating budgets will be provided:

I'd love to see the definition of that.

Sean Malone
02-27-08, 04:23 PM
So who gets 'paired' with Penske and Andretti and who gets 'paired' with Foyt and Vision.

:)

SAdair
02-27-08, 04:32 PM

• IndyCar Series officials developed an assistance program that assigned an IndyCar Series team to work directly with a Champ Car World Series team (i.e. Rahal Letterman Racing will work with Newman/Haas/Lanigan.)

Well, that's one way to eliminate the whole father vs son rivalry. :rolleyes:
Or maybe Bobby is hoping that NHL winning formula will rub off on his team. Hope he holds his breath on that one. :rofl:

Wheel-Nut
02-27-08, 04:40 PM
So who gets 'paired' with Penske and Andretti and who gets 'paired' with Foyt and Vision.

:)

The SpeedTV article said pKV was teaming with Chip. So lets look at the scorecard.

Penske
Andretti -Green
TCGR
NHL
pKV
Letterman Rahal

I don't know how many cars those teams are running but that's most likely the top 10 each race. Everyone else is racing for 11th down.

momotan
02-27-08, 05:47 PM

Actually, I don't think anyone gets paired with Foyt. You will recall just a few days ago he said he would pitch a fit if he had to "help" any of them. I think it's safe to say teaming up with him will hinder more then help, so they will let him sulk in his corner.

TKGAngel
02-27-08, 05:53 PM
The SpeedTV article said pKV was teaming with Chip.

If only because JV and Cheep can work together without killing each other.

Would the CCWS drivers be considered IRL rookies and have to use rookie stripes?

mlj
02-27-08, 05:57 PM
I can steal some things...

'KV Racing' and that KK was out on the town last night with Jimmy V.

The Atlantics will run this year.

try to give CC teams one new and one used chassis, until they run out.

peace in racing fans, please.

KK will be involved in mngmnt (I do NOT believe that)

some drivers may try the monteghi LB double.

Gonna have trouble finding enough engines.

I didn't hear that KK was going to be a part of Mgmt, did I miss that, also did I miss them saying that the Safety Team would be in the IRL. All I heard was that TG was buying the Safety trailer.

indyfan31
02-27-08, 06:22 PM
I dunno. It was pretty funny.

That was great, and nobody bailed him out! According to the fanboys, he "thinks" before he speaks. I was waiting for Robin to come back on camera and say, "ok folks, that's it from here."

Racing Truth
02-27-08, 06:27 PM
FTG did not seem to know what was going on and kept differing the barnhardt. That's actually the best news to come out of this. FTG is grand poobah in name only. The people with the brains appear to be able to run this thing, while he writes the checks. It will probably go down like this....

Tony Cotman " Tony, we need to get rid of rolling starts on the road courses"

FTG "umm, uhhhh....."

TC "Sign here to pay for Champcar's old start system"

FTG "ummm.......Ok"

Brian Barnhardt "Hey FTG, we need some more Dallaras for spare cars"

FTG "ummm....well....uhhhhhh"

BB "Just put your signature on this purchase order"

FTG "ummmm.....ok"

Now that AOW is now in IMS hands, I hope this is how it works: Smart folks actually run it most of the time. We'll see.

But...... TGeorge should not be allowed to speak for more than 10 minutes.

nrc
02-27-08, 06:47 PM
Was Gene Simmons there?

G.
02-27-08, 06:54 PM
I didn't hear that KK was going to be a part of Mgmt, did I miss that, also did I miss them saying that the Safety Team would be in the IRL. All I heard was that TG was buying the Safety trailer.
I could (easily) be wrong about KK's level of involvement, but I thought I heard early on in the discussion, seconds before he mentioned KV Racing (or whatever) that he would remain involved. Guess I'll have to check the um, uh, er, transcript to be sure.

Yep, safety team trailer, some unnamed nurse. Not the "team". More (maybe) TBD.

Hey, I admitted to stealing the stuff, right? Can I help it if the victim was wrong?:p (I just copied a few recap quotes from various boards)

mlj
02-27-08, 08:15 PM
I could (easily) be wrong about KK's level of involvement, but I thought I heard early on in the discussion, seconds before he mentioned KV Racing (or whatever) that he would remain involved. Guess I'll have to check the um, uh, er, transcript to be sure.

Hey, I admitted to stealing the stuff, right? Can I help it if the victim was wrong?:p (I just copied a few recap quotes from various boards)

OK I am going to check my Tivo. I think he said that he was going to be involved as a team (KV Racing) He did hesitate a bit and I thought he was going to say in a mgmt position, but went on the talk about the KV team.
Now we can speculate that the hesitation meant he decided not to divulge his role (which I seriously doubt is the case) or he just needed to take a breath before continuing...

oddlycalm
02-27-08, 08:32 PM
Was Gene Simmons there? :rofl: Yeah, that puts the whole brain trust into perspective. That and TG's periodic lockup/reboot episodes.

oc

RusH
02-27-08, 09:09 PM
So, it`s officially over then.. ay?. Champ is dead.

I hope Tony can fix the sport......I also hope that OJ can find the real killers.

On to Melbourne.

TRANSAM
02-27-08, 09:14 PM
Was Gene Simmons there?

He's busy dealing with his sex tape scandal.

G.
02-27-08, 11:13 PM
He's busy promoting his sex tape scandal.fixed.

No charge.:D

Insomniac
02-28-08, 12:25 AM

Didn't the IRL grab the doctor's when CC let them go a couple years ago (it was a big deal then, but turned out not to be big deal).

Insomniac
02-28-08, 12:26 AM
Assuming FPR doesn't get the shaft, does that mean PT will be working with Penske or AGR? :)

Insomniac
02-28-08, 12:40 AM
He did say he'd like a 50/50 mix of tracks and a variety of ovals. And that the IRL had expanded to basically all the tracks that they could. (I thought maybe the implication was the rest would come from CC.) He was also semi-positive about Cleveland. All hope hasn't been killed yet. ;)

Wheel-Nut
02-28-08, 02:00 PM

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/

Too bad for PCM . . . .

Question: What are the pairings the IRL has for the former Champ Car teams? (Dan, Nashville, Tenn.)

Answer: Forsythe with AGR, KV with Ganassi, Conquest with Vision, Walker with Penske, Minardi and Coyne with Panther, Newman/Haas with Rahal, and Pacific Coast with Foyt. Rocketsports wasn't assigned.

KLang
02-28-08, 02:04 PM
Is it too late for PCM to join ALMS? :saywhat:

Gnam
02-28-08, 02:22 PM
Pacific Coast with Foyt.
Why, cause mama always said Texas and California go together like peas and carrots.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/535/gump3vm7.jpg

High Sided
02-28-08, 02:26 PM

Too bad for PCM . . . .

Pacific Coast with Foyt.

i pity the pcm engineer's and lap tops

extramundane
02-28-08, 02:31 PM
Answer: Forsythe with AGR, KV with Ganassi, Conquest with Vision, Walker with Penske, Minardi and Coyne with Panther, Newman/Haas with Rahal, and Pacific Coast with Foyt.

I dunno, the visual of AJ smacking the back of Alex Figge's head with a "Smatter chew, boy?" does have a certain appeal.

Rocketsports wasn't assigned.

Paulie's gonna start his own series w/ DP01s. I read it on tha intardweb. :gomer:

Insomniac
02-28-08, 03:24 PM

Too bad for PCM . . . .

Question: What are the pairings the IRL has for the former Champ Car teams? (Dan, Nashville, Tenn.)

Answer: Forsythe with AGR, KV with Ganassi, Conquest with Vision, Walker with Penske, Minardi and Coyne with Panther, Newman/Haas with Rahal, and Pacific Coast with Foyt. Rocketsports wasn't assigned.

Haha, PT reunited with Team KOOL Green. :)

Edit: Should've read the Forsythe closing shop thread first.

Andrew Longman
02-28-08, 03:42 PM
Haha, PT reunited with Team KOOL Green. :)

See other thread. FCR closing. PT adrift.

And its taken until now to comment of the press conference. I actually couldn't watch it. I was embarrass for them. Starting with the weak applause for TG and KK at the opening that literally stopped before they entered the room and continuing downhill to the end.

The sport is so dead that there aren't enough pieces to put together a decent press conference. The only hope, and it isn't even really viable, is TG becomes satisfied that he was won his war and his little race is secure and so decides to turn the whole thing over to smarter folks who will spend his money more wisely.

Napoleon
02-28-08, 03:55 PM
the IRL is run by a bunch of DOLTS and GOMERS.

Really!

Napoleon
02-28-08, 04:01 PM
He was also semi-positive about Cleveland. All hope hasn't been killed yet. ;)

Darn, and I just mailed my ticket reservation form back and ask them to take me off their list.

i pity the pcm engineer's and lap tops

I actually know someone on that team. I hope I get a good story out of this.