PDA

View Full Version : IRL meeting draws all 9 Champ Car teams

Spicoli
02-26-08, 08:30 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/SPORTS0107/802260374

The IndyCar Series could reach record participation if a Monday meeting at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is an indication.

All nine of the Champ Car World Series teams were on hand for an introductory meeting with Indy Racing League officials.
Those nine teams accounted for 16 car-and-driver combinations last season. If most join the IRL, the league record of 31 cars for a race other than the Indianapolis 500 could be approached.There were 31 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 1997.
"That's absolutely a good sign," said Brian Barnhart, the IRL's president of competition. "This was just an information meeting, but the interest is clearly high."

Three Champ Car teams -- Conquest Racing, Walker Racing and Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing -- submitted paperwork Monday to receive cars from the IRL while others are expected to soon.

I know, the cynical answer is: "well Spicoli, wtf else do they have to do with their time now?"

I thought Gentiloser couldn't make the numbers work. But I'll take 31 cars over what we had before.

Sean O'Gorman
02-26-08, 08:32 AM
Have the FPG chants started yet?

mueber
02-26-08, 08:57 AM
Not only has Tony George won, but they've cut off their private parts and handed them to him.:(

I can't help but wonder if TG makes an even more distasteful mess of things if anyone anywhere will ever be able to do anything about it.

eiregosod
02-26-08, 09:45 AM
the EARL always says that they'll have 31 cars to start the season with, that number always gets whittled down to 21 or 18 by the start of the season. depends how generous FTG feels at the welfare office.

extramundane
02-26-08, 09:47 AM

Started?

Don Quixote
02-26-08, 09:48 AM
I have this picture in my mind of a soup line down at the local homeless shelter.

Insomniac
02-26-08, 10:16 AM
The IRL had 31 cars at a non-Indy race in 1997??? CART had something like 28 cars that whole year. My goodness, they've fallen a long, long way. :(

Rogue Leader
02-26-08, 10:20 AM
The IRL had 31 cars at a non-Indy race in 1997??? CART had something like 28 cars that whole year. My goodness, they've fallen a long, long way. :(

I believe it, they were using previous gen CART chassis at the time and there were plenty of cars in circulation due to the 500 (and teams like Team Scandia lol).

eiregosod
02-26-08, 10:24 AM
I believe it, they were using previous gen CART chassis at the time and there were plenty of cars in circulation due to the 500 (and teams like Team Scandia lol).

in1997, that was the original crapwagon.

an aside, the gomerati (led by the paid EARl internet thugs) were laughing that CART would be using 5 year old Lolas in 2006. The current EARL spec is now 6 years old.

robot9000
02-26-08, 10:34 AM
Well, look at the bright side. At least they are going to have them run the season with an Orange Reflective "Rookie" Triangles on the back of the cars.

Um, just sayin... :makinglemonaid:

Racing Truth
02-26-08, 11:29 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/SPORTS0107/802260374

I know, the cynical answer is: "well Spicoli, wtf else do they have to do with their time now?"

I thought Gentiloser couldn't make the numbers work. But I'll take 31 cars over what we had before.

We'll see who actually runs. That said, maybe Tony should read my "Open letter" regarding Poledance.;)

SteveH
02-26-08, 11:34 AM
I have this picture in my mind of a soup line down at the local homeless shelter.

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

eiregosod
02-26-08, 12:28 PM
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/theborderfox/acoffee.jpg

RichK
02-26-08, 12:48 PM
in1997, that was the original crapwagon.

Yep, I was at that race crewing for a support series car. IIRC, Johnny O'Connell flipped upside down out of Turn 4, slid on his roll hoop across the start finish line, climbed out from the car, bowed for the crowd, and jogged across the grass to his pit stall.

RichK
02-26-08, 12:55 PM

:laugh:

TravelGal
02-26-08, 01:58 PM
Well, look at the bright side. At least they are going to have them run the season with an Orange Reflective "Rookie" Triangles on the back of the cars.

Um, just sayin... :makinglemonaid:

I'm sure PT will enjoy being labeled a rookie.

Insomniac
02-26-08, 02:22 PM
I'm sure PT will enjoy being labeled a rookie.

He (and his fans) can now chock everything up to rookie mistakes!

Racing Truth
02-26-08, 03:14 PM
He (and his fans) can now chock everything up to rookie mistakes!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :laugh:

Ruben Barrios
02-26-08, 04:21 PM
PT is in a bind now, isn't he?

He was the one who said "I will never drive one of those crapwagoons again", his fans seem to want to call -everyone who drives a crapwaggon- a traitor...

It will be interesting seeing people saying FPT...

I guess that is why some people are beyond logic right now...

miatanut
02-26-08, 04:29 PM

The CART races would START 28 cars. Those were the years when two or three cars would not make the show. On a three day weekend schedule in the middle of summer. Double sessions for each round of qualifying and practice so drivers would have a few feet of road to work with between them and the cars in front and behind.

The good old days! :)

TU Homer
02-26-08, 07:56 PM
2008 was shaping up to be a real crapola year, so I agree that 31 is better than we had. But I can't get past the fugged up situation mumbles put this whole situation in. The upside is it'll be real easy to cheer for some drivers/teams and against others. My compromise is Road America will be my next champcar race to attend...they're still champs.:D

-TU

Insomniac
02-27-08, 09:55 AM
PT is in a bind now, isn't he?

He was the one who said "I will never drive one of those crapwagoons again", his fans seem to want to call -everyone who drives a crapwaggon- a traitor...

It will be interesting seeing people saying FPT...

I guess that is why some people are beyond logic right now...

I didn't know you were a PT fan.