PDA

View Full Version : 1st post-unification domino falling?

rabbit
02-26-08, 01:11 AM
MIS extends invitation (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-michigan-open-for-a-return-engagement/)

Following the announcement Friday that Indy Racing League and Champ Car officials have signed an agreement in principle to unify America’s two open-wheel series for 2008, Michigan International Speedway President Roger Curtis issued a statement indicating the track’s willingness to consider bringing Indy racing back to the Irish Hills facility.

Michigan hosted USAC, CART and IRL Indy car events through 2007, but was dropped from this year’s IndyCar Series calendar when IRL and MIS officials were unable to agree on a race date.

“It’s fitting that during Michigan International Speedway’s 40th anniversary season the country will finally have one open-wheel series to enjoy,” Curtis said. “I hope that this new era for open-wheel racing will find a suitable fit among the country’s tracks, both historic and new.

“Though we are focused on our NASCAR events for this season, we are always looking for viable business options for the future at Michigan International Speedway and the state of Michigan. We would certainly talk to any race sanctioning body that is interested in us hosting an event at our speedway if the date and racing series are viable business options for us.

“We are excited about 2008 at Michigan International Speedway and are supportive of a unified open-wheel series. We wish them the best of luck for this and future seasons. I commend the hard work and dedication that it must have taken to put together all the moving parts that make up the agreement in principle. As a race fan and a track promoter, I applaud everyone involved.”

trish
02-26-08, 01:23 AM
Cool. It will be interesting to see what kind of schedule is built over the next couple of years.

opinionated ow
02-26-08, 05:00 AM
the michigan 500 is my second favourite race in the world (behind the belleville midget nationals). i would even watch lots of crapwagons in that race. (wow i am going mad. i still hate crapwagons)

cart7
02-26-08, 06:33 AM
Don't hold your breathe:

Saw this at TF:

'Just last week, we asked if the merger would increase their desire to
come back to MIS and the answer was a resounding, "no."

Please know, MIS would love to have open-wheel back but that feeling is
not reciprocated.'

Startched earth. :tony:

EVL29
02-26-08, 03:42 PM
" We would certainly talk to any race sanctioning body that is interested in us hosting an event at our speedway if the date and racing series are viable business options for us."

In other words,MIS is available for rental?:laugh: