PDA

View Full Version : Gordo weighs in...

dando
02-25-08, 03:41 PM
http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2008/the_way_it_is_no115.html

With reunion, at long last the first step has been taken, but the next series of steps will be even more difficult. In today's world, every major racing series is driven by manufacturers. Formula 1, NASCAR, sports car racing and motorcycle racing are fueled primarily by manufacturers. Commercial sponsorship rides on the back of massive investment from the competing manufacturers and if Indy car racing is to regain a respected position in the world motor sport community it must create an interesting technical formula for the future that will attract two, three or four manufacturers.

As I've written, the new formula also must produce an aesthetically attractive car as well as competing car builders. One of the problems of the current IRL Dallara-Honda--and I know some people don't like to hear this--is that it is unattractive both visually and aurally, as well as being a de facto spec car. All these things must change if Indy car racing is to be rehabilitated and thrive once again.

There's no point in me going on any more about any of this at this stage of the game. I believe I've written considerably more over many years about the subject of developing and managing Indy car racing's technical rules than anyone else, and as I say, I will continue to do so. In fact, my next two columns in the April and May issues of Motor Sport will be devoted to this matter. Meanwhile, I just want to emphasize the challenges of leadership--technical leadership in particular--that lay ahead for the IRL if Indy car racing is to become a major player once again in world motor sport. I hope the powers that be are up to the job.

Spot on. If the cars and engines don't change, this is doomed to fail. Period.

-Kevin

Ray Scar
02-25-08, 03:52 PM
The only way it survives is if the engines are powered by something other than a piston engine. Solar, wind, fuel cell, turbine, nuclear, anything that will be severely limited on making power.

Piston engines make too much power for superspeedways so if they continue to use them they'll still be droning around with their foot to the floor.

Open wheel racing on high speed ovals is obsolete.

RichK
02-25-08, 03:58 PM
Piston engines make too much power for superspeedways so if they continue to use them they'll still be droning around with their foot to the floor.

Open wheel racing on high speed ovals is obsolete.

Just gotta reduce downforce.

Ray Scar
02-25-08, 04:12 PM

That'd work only if they drastically reduce it, like back to 1975 levels. Ain't gonna happen. They'd lose their ability to run in packs and the oval crowd of today can't handle it when one car gets too far ahead.

Sean Malone
02-25-08, 04:41 PM
I stopped reading here...

"Just looking at it from the engineering aspect, there's so much more that we're doing here in NASCAR than anyone is doing anywhere else. People talk about how archaic these cars are but look under the hood and see what we're doing with suspension geometries. It's astounding. "

Feed it to the guys wearing D.E.jr hats. I'll pass.

dando
02-25-08, 04:52 PM
I stopped reading here...

"Just looking at it from the engineering aspect, there's so much more that we're doing here in NASCAR than anyone is doing anywhere else. People talk about how archaic these cars are but look under the hood and see what we're doing with suspension geometries. It's astounding. "

Feed it to the guys wearing D.E.jr hats. I'll pass.

Just a sad statement on the level of technology in IRL/CCWS these days. :(

-Kevin

nissan gtp
02-25-08, 05:48 PM
The only way it survives is if the engines are powered by something other than a piston engine. Solar, wind, fuel cell, turbine, nuclear, anything that will be severely limited on making power.

great idea :gomer:

http://www.amphicars.com/james_and_boat.jpg

Winston Wolfe
02-25-08, 06:17 PM
anyone heard from Franklin Ratliffe ????
anyone ? anyone ?? Bueller ???

RichK
02-25-08, 06:29 PM
That'd work only if they drastically reduce it, like back to 1975 levels. Ain't gonna happen. They'd lose their ability to run in packs and the oval crowd of today can't handle it when one car gets too far ahead.

There IS no oval crowd of today! :D
I agree, though, the subtle art of lifting for a turn is lost on the :gomer: 's

WickerBill
02-25-08, 06:52 PM
anyone ? anyone ?? Bueller ???

I was thinking the exact same thing.

G.
02-25-08, 07:06 PM
anyone ? anyone ?? Bueller ???Aren't MOST true visionaries considered to be crackpots initially?

TravelGal
02-25-08, 07:36 PM
I agree, though, the subtle art of lifting for a turn is lost on the :gomer: 's

Except for the lifting end over end part. :gomer:

Racing Truth
02-25-08, 08:35 PM
http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2008/the_way_it_is_no115.html

Spot on. If the cars and engines don't change, this is doomed to fail. Period.

-Kevin

Yep. 2010 needs to bring us something racey and interesting. That, and a balanced schedule. If not, say goodbye.

miatanut
02-25-08, 10:19 PM

Exactly! The question is, will the powers that be make the wise decisions needed to bring the drivers back into it?