PDA

View Full Version : So what races are you going to this year?

Napoleon
02-24-08, 08:42 AM
???

I guess I should start thinking about replacing some races on my personal schedule. What races are OC member's going to this year?

nissan gtp
02-24-08, 09:40 AM
Sebring for sure
Long Beach (probably)
Something at Watkins Glenn
ALMS at Mid Ohio (maybe)
Historics or ALMS at Road America
Earl at Richmond (biggie maybe)
Petit for sure

emjaya
02-24-08, 09:54 AM
None, I'm going to save my money and go to the local Kart track and drive myself dizzy. :)

opinionated ow
02-24-08, 10:58 AM
if all goes to plan:
-oran park, eastern creek, mallala, phillip island, sandown and symmons plains for formula 3
-lismore speedway for the formula 500 aussie champs (microsprints)
-parramatta city raceway for various odds and ends-mostly sprintcars and midgets.

chop456
02-24-08, 12:36 PM
Sebring
Petit Le Mans
ALMS at Road America
Slinger

Sean O'Gorman
02-24-08, 09:39 PM
ALMS/IRL at Mid-Ohio
maybe Grand-Am at Mid-Ohio
maybe NASA Nationals at Mid-Ohio
maybe NASCAR Trucks at Mansfield

:\

SteveH
02-24-08, 10:31 PM
I'll start my year with the last ever Champ Car race at LB and end with ALMS at RA. And not much in between. :(

pchall
02-24-08, 10:33 PM
Whatever fits into my son's extended visit this summer. AMA flat track at the Allen County Fairgrounds looks good, M-O Vintage GP, and whatever is running at Lawrenceburg through early July -- an evening sprint program I'm sure.

rabbit
02-24-08, 11:10 PM
Tentative plans:

Indy
Mid-Ohio
Maybe Detroit
A handful of Friday nights at Limaland
A trip or two to Eldora

Hey Pete, if you come up for the Flat-Track, let me know. :thumbup:

JLMannin
02-24-08, 11:18 PM
The Kroger 200 at O'Riley Raceway Park for sure (night before the BY400)

cameraman
02-24-08, 11:46 PM
I'm going to the races that are a half hour from my house.

ALMS at MMP
FIM Superbike/AMA Superbike at MMP
Grand Am at MMP with the Atlantics (in theory)

There is a NASCAR Camping :confused: World Series race out there in August. Watching cabs lumber around the track does not sound at all good to me. There will be a support race, the Pacific F2000 Championship. If the temperature is under 85 that day I might, just might ... who am I kidding.

And another event that holds no allure whatsoever...

GT LIVE West was a huge hit last year, providing young enthusiasts of Japanese “tuner cars” with an event that combines drifting, racing, karting, stunt bikes, car shows and music. Highlights will include the Falken Drift Demo Team performing radical formation drifting; the XDL U.S. Stunt Riding Championship, an invitation-only event featuring the best motorcycle stunt riders in North America; and Redline Time Attack, in which some of the world’s hottest tuner cars will vie for fastest lap times. Other attractions include the GT Sim Race, where fans can take rides around the track in professional Time Attack cars; the Falken Drift Experience, where fans get to ride in the Falken Drift Demo Team cars; and the GT LIVE West Karting Zone, in which fans can drive racing karts on the Miller Kart Track. Other, fee-based interactive attractions include Drift Day, in which fans can learn to drift either in their own car or a rented car; and Tarzan’s Lap Battle, in which fans can lap the track in their own cars and enter a raffle to win coaching tips from world-famous drifter and Time Attack star “Tarzan” Yamada.:yuck:

devilmaster
02-24-08, 11:52 PM
:yuck:

it'd be like, totally cool ya know, if Brian from the furious movies shows up... :rofl: ;)

Methanolandbrats
02-24-08, 11:55 PM
ALMS and historics at Road America
Maybe bikes there too.
Going back to my roots at some Wisconsin short tracks....bad beer, damp hot dogs, bugs, humidity and close grassroots racing.

extramundane
02-25-08, 12:14 AM
:yuck:

I saw that on the calendar @ VIR for the Koni Challenge weekend and my immediate thought was that I'd rather eat shellfish that had been at room temperature for several days than watch that.

Hopefully headed to Petit in October. If not, I'll probably go to VIR for the Koni finale the same weekend. Possibly Saturday of the GA Rolex weekend at VIR, since Speed WC Touring and the new Jetta series are running.

Rob
02-25-08, 03:07 AM
I originally planned on going to Long Beach for Friday practice, but now I'll put that at 50/50. I am planning on going to VIR for Grand-Am on the Saturday, and I'll hopefully go to Road America for ALMS. I might do a historics event at VIR too.

opinionated ow
02-25-08, 04:12 AM
ALMS and historics at Road America
Maybe bikes there too.
Going back to my roots at some Wisconsin short tracks....bad beer, damp hot dogs, bugs, humidity and close grassroots racing.

plenty of good stuff happening on WI short tracks this year...

KLang
02-25-08, 07:49 AM
Probably none.

Depending on the line-up and schedule I might check out ALMS here in Houston if they have it.

I suspect I'm probably about done with racing all together. :(

rosawendel
02-25-08, 08:51 AM
sebring, alms at mid-ohio, and cleveland.
oh, wait, scratch that last one.

Warlock!
02-25-08, 09:03 AM
sebring

Cam
02-25-08, 09:39 AM
Was planning on Albert Park. Not sure I can wing it right now tho. Barbagallo...

JT265
02-25-08, 10:35 AM
Race? I don't go to races. Never have, actually. I find race cars to be loud, obnoxious, and they smell funny. Much like chop456, honestly. :D

In fact, if I wanted something that was loud, obnoxious and smelled funny, i would have kept my starter wife. :saywhat:

:laugh: :laugh:

tllips
02-25-08, 11:08 AM
Probably only ALMS at Road America.

chop456
02-25-08, 12:38 PM
Race? I don't go to races. Never have, actually. I find race cars to be loud, obnoxious, and they smell funny. Much like chop456, honestly. :D

I'm not loud.

Easy
02-25-08, 01:04 PM
BRIC (is it still called that?)

June Sprints

ALMS at Road Am

Milwaukee Mile for my first taste of Formula Mergification. (IPS passes: $0, feeling scared to show your Illinois ID when carded at the West Allis dive bar with Packers curtains: priceless)

Canuckistan GP if time allows.

Also hoping to make it to MotoGP at Indy and give Tony some money to pass on to Derrick Walker.

Or Petit.

G.
02-25-08, 02:39 PM
Races? Let's see, CCWS in Vegas, Hou, RA and Phoenix. Maybe Laguna. Finally make it to Cleveland this year, too!

Wait.

ALMS at RA, maybe Petit (why, oh WHY does Sebring and Petit happen when school's in? Don't give me that "history and tradition" crap! This is about me!)

Some chance that I might go to the Mile, just to see.:irked:

Napoleon
02-25-08, 02:53 PM
Finally make it to Cleveland this year, too!

I took my Cleveland renewal form and mailed it back to them today (in the stamped envelope they supplied) with a note that I would not be coming to see the IRL and to remove me from their renewal list (unless they got ALMS or something else).

SteveH
02-25-08, 03:11 PM
I took my Cleveland renewal form and mailed it back to them today (in the stamped envelope they supplied) with a note that I would not be coming to see the IRL and to remove me from their renewal list (unless they got ALMS or something else).

ALMS at Cleveland under the lights would be very interesting. However, their races tend to be longer than open wheel races. Would a 500 mile ALMS race be feasible at Cleveland?

Napoleon
02-25-08, 03:23 PM
ALMS at Cleveland under the lights would be very interesting. However, their races tend to be longer than open wheel races. Would a 500 mile ALMS race be feasible at Cleveland?

I would think it would be feasable. They would have to scrap some of the stuff they do like the pace car ride arounds and maybe do less support races.

I was talking to my brother about it yesterday and the only negative (from ALMS standpoint and Mid-Ohio) is that they have another event in what is basically the same market.

PS - I read or heard the promoter say something which made me think he is open to someone other then IRL if need be.

JT265
02-25-08, 04:46 PM
I'm not loud.

Good point. :\

Sean O'Gorman
02-25-08, 08:45 PM
I was told by an SCCA guy that ALMS has a non-compete clause in its contract with Mid-Ohio that prevents them from holding a race at Burke.

KaBoom21
02-26-08, 11:52 AM
Mos def:
ALMS@RA
Petit

Maybe:
Superbikes@RA
ALMS@MO

Dirty Sanchez
02-26-08, 01:59 PM
Sno*Drift
Indianapolis 500
Canadian Grand Prix

probably a few more...

Ankf00
02-26-08, 02:05 PM
maybe canuckistan GP since it' sbeen a couple of years, but CA$ can kiss my ass.

maybe LB since, well, you know...

other than that, meh.

Dirty Sanchez
02-26-08, 02:07 PM
maybe canuckistan GP since it' sbeen a couple of years, but CA$ can kiss my ass.

maybe LB since, well, you know...

other than that, meh.would not wait too terribly long on purchasing tickets. that is ofcourse if you want a decent seat. I think 11, 12 and 34 are already sold out.

Ankf00
02-26-08, 02:33 PM
thanks for the heads up but no worries there, an old friend always saves me a seat in 11 :D until stuff comes up and i have to bail like the last couple of years :(

I miss poutine :cry:

opinionated ow
02-26-08, 05:52 PM
I was told by an SCCA guy that ALMS has a non-compete clause in its contract with Mid-Ohio that prevents them from holding a race at Burke.

scca have nothing to do with alms.....

mueber
02-26-08, 05:58 PM
Canadian Grand Prix--just bought the tickets,
Maybe ALMS at Mid-Ohio, probably not
maybe ALMS at Road America, depends on finances.
That's it.

Next year hope to do 12 Hours of Sebring.

mueber
02-26-08, 06:00 PM

But we'll always have Iowa.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=83819

JohnHKart
02-26-08, 07:10 PM
???

I guess I should start thinking about replacing some races on my personal schedule. What races are OC member's going to this year?

Nascar Vegas next week. There's no reason for me not to. My Doors tribute Peace Frog is playing right down the street at the Cannery Fri and Sat night, so I might as well go to the race then drive home. I've not been to a Cup race, other than a practice day since October 98 in Phoenix. Long Beach and am hoping to get to the Monterey Historics and am definitely hitting the Reno Air Races.

Brickman
02-26-08, 07:42 PM
Fontana - Cup
Las Vegas - Cup
Phoenix - Cup
Indy - IRL
BY400 - Cup
Indy - MotoGP
Fontana - Cup
Phoenix - Cup

extramundane
02-26-08, 08:22 PM
scca have nothing to do with alms.....

All of those flaggers and corner workers must be awfully confused, then.

opinionated ow
02-27-08, 03:18 AM
All of those flaggers and corner workers must be awfully confused, then.

i am obviously wrong but i thought most of them were somehow affilliated with IMSA

extramundane
02-27-08, 10:01 AM
i am obviously wrong but i thought most of them were somehow affilliated with IMSA

There's always a strong SCCA presence amongst cornerworkers, flaggers, etc at pro sportscar/roadracing events in the US. And the SCCA crew is often the place to get the real dirt on what's happening.

Holy crap, did I just defend O'Gorman? This amalgamation really has taken it's toll, hasn't it? :cry: :shakehead :rofl:

Sean Malone
02-27-08, 10:12 AM
There's always a strong SCCA presence amongst cornerworkers, flaggers, etc at pro sportscar/roadracing events in the US. And the SCCA crew is often the place to get the real dirt on what's happening.

Holy crap, did I just defend O'Gorman? This amalgamation really has taken it's toll, hasn't it? :cry: :shakehead :rofl:

Should you change your nick to extraDefender now?

That was lame. I knew it right after I wrote it but I'm still going to hit submit. Why? I don't know. :)

extramundane
02-27-08, 10:22 AM
Should you change your nick to extraDefender now?

I was planning to have Richard & Cam change it to my god-given at some point, but I may just grow a sketchy 'stache and gain 50 pounds instead. :)

That was lame. I knew it right after I wrote it but I'm still going to hit submit. Why? I don't know. :)

Perhaps Richard needs to start approving your posts too?

:runs:

Sean Malone
02-27-08, 10:27 AM
I was planning to have Richard & Cam change it to my god-given at some point, but I may just grow a sketchy 'stache and gain 50 pounds instead. :)

Perhaps Richard needs to start approving your posts too?

:runs:

I thought he did approve of them.

:cry:

:D

patski
02-27-08, 11:42 AM
Historics at RA and maybe CCA at RA if they do in fact run a double header there. NO ALMS or Milw Mile again this year.

eiregosod
02-27-08, 12:50 PM
couch.

prolly wont get to see any anyways.

Cam
02-28-08, 08:06 AM
Uh Oh! :eek:

Kahauna Dreamer
03-02-08, 12:46 PM
Working on GF and kiddo for LB...

Andrew Longman
03-02-08, 01:18 PM
ALMS at Lime Rock
Grandam at the new Lightning Raceway
Cup at The Glen

Might do either Sebring or Petite if feeling flush.

And yes, I might do the IRL race at the Glen if this season starts looking spectacularly better than I expect. Doubtful though. I think it would just piss me off.

Napoleon
03-02-08, 02:36 PM
Grandam at the new Lightning Raceway

Never heard of the place - where is it?

Andrew Longman
03-02-08, 04:16 PM
Never heard of the place - where is it?

Millville, South Jersey. Near Atlantic City. I looks like an amazing and ambitious undertaking. Its actually called NJ Motorsport Park with two road courses (2.25m Thunderbolt and 1.9m Lightning), a 1.1m karting track and a 3/4m tri oval.

Checking again I think the Grandam cars will run the 2.25m.

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/overview.html

Trevor is stoked.

I wish them well and hope they can draw something better than ARCA and Grandam

dando
03-02-08, 06:27 PM
Millville, South Jersey. Near Atlantic City. I looks like an amazing and ambitious undertaking. Its actually called NJ Motorsport Park with two road courses (2.25m Thunderbolt and 1.9m Lightning), a 1.1m karting track and a 3/4m tri oval.

Checking again I think the Grandam cars will run the 2.25m.

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/overview.html

Trevor is stoked.

I wish them well and hope they can draw something better than ARCA and Grandam
It's closer to OCNJ than AC. :gomer: I may hafta check it out this summer. When's it supposed to be completed (I only saw a mention of summer '08)?

-Kevin

chop456
03-03-08, 12:16 AM
two road courses (2.25m Thunderbolt and 1.9m Lightning)

Sounds very, very frightening. :tony:

nrc
03-03-08, 01:05 AM

Galileo?

Andrew Longman
03-03-08, 08:20 AM
It's closer to OCNJ than AC. :gomer: I may hafta check it out this summer. When's it supposed to be completed (I only saw a mention of summer '08)?

-Kevin

July.

Grandam there 31 Aug. ARCA the end of September.

Napoleon
03-03-08, 09:21 AM
Galileo?

I am partial to the Mogen David track layout myself.

Elmo T
03-03-08, 10:42 AM
Grandam there 31 Aug. ARCA the end of September.

We opted to sit out Cleveland this year - prior to the shenanigans. :rolleyes:

We are still doing M-O for ALMS and IRL. My 7yo daughter is still trying to comprehend the how and why of the mergification thing. I told her that even the adults aren't really sure. :shakehead

The NJ Motorsports Park events look promising...

Napoleon
03-30-08, 05:54 AM
Well I won't go to the ALMS at Mid-Ohio because it is paired with the IRL, but I think I may go to the ALMS at either MoSport or Road America, the Vintage weekend at Mid-Ohio and maybe the bike race at Mid-Ohio.

I assume the ALMS at RA is still on even though it shared the weekend with CC.

FCYTravis
03-30-08, 03:06 PM
Grand-Am/Atlantics at Laguna Seca.

datachicane
03-30-08, 07:05 PM
two road courses (2.25m Thunderbolt and 1.9m Lightning)
Galileo?

Galileo, Figaro.
:gomer:

Anteater
03-30-08, 09:48 PM
Long Beach Grand Prix (for possibly the last time :( ).
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for Atlantics and da Matta's return to racing in a DP.
I may go to NHRA finals at Pomona in November.

Hey Andrew Longman, that NJ racetrack looks pretty cool, and it's only 36 miles from my sister's house! Hmmm...

opinionated ow
03-31-08, 05:22 AM
Galileo, Figaro.
:gomer:

Beelzebub, what has the devil put aside for me, for meeeeeeeeeeeee, for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(mega guitar solo).

couldn't resist :gomer:

Corner5
03-31-08, 11:11 AM
Well I won't go to the ALMS at Mid-Ohio because it is paired with the IRL, but I think I may go to the ALMS at either MoSport or Road America, the Vintage weekend at Mid-Ohio and maybe the bike race at Mid-Ohio.

I assume the ALMS at RA is still on even though it shared the weekend with CC.

ALMS will always be at RA. Still a good weekend of racing-

Elkhart Lake, WI, March 10, 2008–Road America has released a revised line-up for its Road Race Showcase,
scheduled for August 7-10, 2008. Because of scheduling conflicts caused by the Indy Racing League and
Champ Car World Series unification, it appears that Champ Car is unable to hold its Champ Car Grand Prix at
Road America that weekend. The showcase continues to highlight the American Le Mans Series in Saturday’s
Generac 500. This four-hour race will again culminate in a stunning sunset finale. Sunday’s tentative line-up
will feature the SPEED Pro Racing World Challenge GT & Touring Championships. According to George
Bruggenthies, Road America president and general manager, “The SPEED World Challenge is always a big hit
at Road America. We’re pleased that we could pair them with the American Le Mans Series and further
enhance the experience for our sports car fans.”

In addition to the previously scheduled Star Mazda, Formula BMW and Skip Barber National Series, the
Atlantic Series will double its show with two races on Saturday and Sunday. For open-wheel fans, these series
have always provided fields of young, aggressive drivers whose ambitions fuel unpredictable finishes. “Fans
can count on a solid weekend of premiere, competitive racing,” Bruggenthies stated, “It’s going to be a full,
four-day schedule with very few breaks in track action–one of the best values fans will find this season in road
racing.”
:thumbup:

TrueBrit
03-31-08, 11:44 AM
ALMS at RA

Chaos
03-31-08, 11:45 AM
ALMS @ Mosport
MotoGP @ Indy
maybe F1 @ Montreal

G.
03-31-08, 11:53 AM
ALMS at RA
Bring a working phone this time!:gomer:

Andrew Longman
03-31-08, 12:00 PM
Bring a working phone this time!:gomer:

Good luck. I've never found cell service anywhere near RA. And they ripped out all the pay phones. The only way I was ever able to make a call there was to make a credit card call using a phone on the side of the security office.

I may go to NHRA finals at Pomona in November.

Thanks for reminding me, I want to try heading up to Reading. I usually do Englishtown, but I always liked the looks of the Reading track too