PDA

View Full Version : Atlantics to continue

Gnam
02-22-08, 09:49 PM
Could be more BS, but Laguna Seca says Atlantics still in business:

The communication below is to confirm that the Cooper Tire Presents the Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda series will continue operations.

"Details on the new ownership structure and 2008 schedule will follow.
For the immediate future we can be contacted at the Champ Car offices.
All phone numbers and e-mail addresses for the Atlantic staff remain unchanged."

http://www.laguna-seca.com/pressreleases/index.cfm?ID=396

extramundane
02-22-08, 09:54 PM
All the sportscar insider-types seem convinced IMSA wants it. It would certainly be a good addition to IMSA weekends, 'specially if they kept Vickie on board.

FCYTravis
02-23-08, 03:04 AM
Well, that's one piece of good news, anyway! :thumbup:

But I'm not quite sure why IMSA would want it. They already have two open-wheel support series, and their weekends seem to be crowded enough - between GT3 Cup, Lites, two classes of World Challenge, Star Mazdas, Formula BMW and everything else, where will they possibly fit in Atlantics?

opinionated ow
02-23-08, 08:42 AM
isn't formula bmw usa dead? i thought i had read that.

pchall
02-23-08, 08:48 AM
Panoz has the smarts to realize that Atlantics is the top ladder series in openwheel in North America. Running Atlantics as part of the ALMS weekends would keep a lot of up and coming road racing talent driving in North America and exposes them to the ALMS series. Besides, another Mazda supported event woud fit nicely with Star Mazda and the Mazda LMP2 effort in the main.

extramundane
02-23-08, 01:40 PM
Well, that's one piece of good news, anyway! :thumbup:

But I'm not quite sure why IMSA would want it. They already have two open-wheel support series, and their weekends seem to be crowded enough - between GT3 Cup, Lites, two classes of World Challenge, Star Mazdas, Formula BMW and everything else, where will they possibly fit in Atlantics?

World Challenge isn't running with them nearly as much as in years past, and F-BMW is only running with them twice this year. And like Pete said, F-Mazda -> Atlantic -> P2 is a nice little progression for the Mazda folks to promote.

cameraman
02-23-08, 05:04 PM
World Challenge isn't running with them nearly as much as in years past, and F-BMW is only running with them twice this year. And like Pete said, F-Mazda -> Atlantic -> P2 is a nice little progression for the Mazda folks to promote.

Since the Atlantics are going to be my only North American open wheel racing for the foreseeable future, I really hope you are right.

extramundane
02-27-08, 01:06 PM
Atlantics confirmed to continue. (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/formula-atlantic-returns-for-35th-season-in-2008/)

Still owned by KK & GF, Vicki O'Connor still in charge. 12 race season, starting at LB. Sanctioning body & full schedule TBA.