PDA

View Full Version : Its Official! Goodbye Champcar

Audi_A4
02-22-08, 05:52 PM
Well its about time, it was very painful the past few years but now lets get the healing process started. Its true that the unified series leader is an ********* but that aside there are many good teams that hopefully will race together. The sport took an incredible beating the past 12 years and I am looking forward once again to a mix of Road, Street, Airport, Short Oval and Super Speedway courses. Bring it on!

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/open-wheel-unification-announced/

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=230321&hubname=auto_racing

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10557

cameraman
02-22-08, 05:57 PM
Look at the mad business skilz that have been on display for the last 12 years and especially this last couple of months. Bring what on?

Audi_A4
02-22-08, 06:08 PM
bring on a new start to open wheel. All the split did was destroy what was was once an amazing formula, something that filled grandstands and had people glued to their televisions.

Andrew Longman
02-22-08, 06:14 PM
Rahal said in a brief statement. “I applaud all of those that made this possible, but want to especially recognize all of those that made sacrifices and concessions to secure the future of open-wheel racing. I truly believe that this is the first step toward restoring open-wheel racing and the Indianapolis 500 to not only where it once was, but beyond.”

Hmmm. This from the guy that tried to kill CART off with his defection. And those sacrifices? I'll wait for the particulars to be announced, but because these ****heads couldn't figure out how to do this in any way other than the worst possible way, several teams, events, and maybe the entire Atlantics series are likely history.

It is obvious this was done with two objectives in mind: Maximum cash for KK, et al, and control for TG. Producing the the best possible outcome in terms of product, teams, fans, never factored.

Redwing
02-22-08, 06:14 PM
:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
02-22-08, 06:15 PM
Hmmm. This from the guy that tried to kill CART off with his defection. And those sacrifices? I'll wait for the particulars to be announced, but because these ****heads couldn't figure out how to do this in any way other than the worst possible way, several teams, events, and maybe the entire Atlantics series are likely history.

It is obvious this was done with two objectives in mind: Maximum cash for KK, et al, and control for TG. Producing the the best possible outcome in terms of product, teams, fans, never factored. Ya, KK flipped it, FTG gets to feel like he's a leader and all the fans got out of the last decade is a sore ass.

G.
02-22-08, 06:18 PM
I cannot watch a car that drives on the Milwaukee Mile FLAT OUT. I don't care who owns the damn thing.

Worst part about this, is I was really getting into the tradition with bringing the g. to races. Now what, I got ALMS at RA. Maybe Petit, but school is in then. Not much else (can't do Sebring, much as I want to. Take some vid, chop!). Historics at RA.

TBH, I might go to the Mile to check that race out. Free tix, just down the road a bit.

DagoFast
02-22-08, 06:22 PM

It is obvious this was done with two objectives in mind: Maximum cash for KK, et al, and control for TG. Producing the the best possible outcome in terms of product, teams, fans, never factored.

Yep. Toeknee may think he got it all, but this fan won't be included.

Audi_A4
02-22-08, 06:24 PM
KK and GF lost a lot of money on this venture, some work some dont.

GLenz
02-22-08, 06:29 PM
Cool

cart7
02-22-08, 06:30 PM
Glad I got over most of this in '03.

Guess I'll watch the continued spiral spin from afar now.

Tony has no one to blame now. :thumdown:

Boatdesigner
02-22-08, 06:32 PM
Well, that leaves nothing but F1 for me. I used to follow 3 series: F1, Champ Car and WRC. Now I am down to one. Sad day.:thumdown: :( :flame:

ferrarigod
02-22-08, 06:35 PM
i miss truesports. but what is done is done. a peace of my life is dead.

time to move on. i'll be at sebring and indy. wanna booze?

dirtyboy
02-22-08, 06:38 PM
I may be interested when a new formula arrives in a couple of years. Until then…

RusH
02-22-08, 06:41 PM
I may be interested when a new formula arrives in a couple of years. Until then…

As long as the new formula don`t have fenders and mash the gas racin` :rofl:

I need some Midwest ovals dropped, personally..:rolleyes:

cameraman
02-22-08, 07:12 PM
Well, that leaves nothing but F1 for me. I used to follow 3 series: F1, Champ Car and WRC. Now I am down to one. Sad day.:thumdown: :( :flame:

Try www.wrc.com

Free video that is essentially the same as the old SpeedTV coverage. If you have a fast connection it actually works well. And lord knows you don't have to worry about seeing a spoiler anywhere...

Stu
02-22-08, 07:20 PM
just heard the news on fox 8 cleveland and they mentioned that the cleveland race is toast. said it was a 30 million dollar loss for the city. sounds like a bs stat to me but whatever (maybe the same people calculate that stat as the ones who said there were 400k fans there last year).

RusH
02-22-08, 07:28 PM
Try www.wrc.com

Free video that is essentially the same as the old SpeedTV coverage. If you have a fast connection it actually works well. And lord knows you don't have to worry about seeing a spoiler anywhere...

I thought it was a pay thing like MotoGP...shows how much I`ve paid attention since Speed took it off the air.
Time to revisit.

cameraman
02-22-08, 07:35 PM
It was pay last year. It is free this year.

nissan gtp
02-22-08, 07:36 PM
About time.

In the last year, I became a believer that remergificamalgimation was the only way forward for CC and OW racing in the US.

This year is going to be hard for Champ Car fans, but there is a lot of potential.

I hope. :\

Racing Truth
02-22-08, 07:58 PM
Well its about time, it was very painful the past few years but now lets get the healing process started. Its true that the unified series leader is an ********* but that aside there are many good teams that hopefully will race together. The sport took an incredible beating the past 12 years and I am looking forward once again to a mix of Road, Street, Airport, Short Oval and Super Speedway courses. Bring it on!

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=230321&hubname=auto_racing

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10557

I don't know if the future will suck or be prosperous. The last month is not promising to be sure:rolleyes:

But I will see what happens. Mostly I'm tired of the same dynamic (Split) since '96. In that sense, :thumbup: .

Oh, and CCCF: :tony: :rofl:

RaceGrrl
02-22-08, 08:10 PM
All that Tony George did was destroy what was was once an amazing formula, something that filled grandstands and had people glued to their televisions.

Fixed it for you. :)

Mary
02-22-08, 09:46 PM
Farewell, Champcar or I should say farewell CART memories....Champcar was but a mere shadow of the series I once loved. Still, a mere shadow is better than the IRL. If this saves American open wheel--then good for it, :rolleyes: but I know I won't be watching and I'm not sure that I care. Frankly, the lesser angels of my nature would like to see it blowed-up! ;) The better angels are gonna sit this hand out.

Take care, everybody...

Mary

nrc
02-22-08, 10:06 PM
Still nothing on the Champ car site. First class job to the end guys. :thumbup: :rolleyes:

grungex
02-22-08, 10:35 PM
Still nothing on the Champ car site. First class job to the end guys. :thumbup: :rolleyes:

They fired everybody, who is going to update it?

dando
02-22-08, 10:52 PM

”It’s been tough, but now the real work starts,” said George, who is expected to add Long Beach, Edmonton and Australia to the ’08 schedule, although Long Beach will likely have only the former Champ Car teams competing since Motegi, Japan is also being run.

It’s believed Newman/Haas/Lanigan (Graham Rahal and Justin Wilson), PKV Racing (Oriol Servia). Walker Racing (Will Power) and Conquest Racing (Franck Berera) are definites to join the IRL, with PKV and Conquest expected to field two cars.

Minardi Team USA, Forsythe, RocketSports, Dale Coyne and Pacific Coast Motorsports remain question marks.

None of the Champ Car teams will be ready for the oval-track test next Wednesday-Thursday and will have to scramble to make Sebring on March 3-6. But the IRL will give the Champ Car teams their own oval track testing next month prior to the March 29th opener.

Because Long Beach is operated by Kalkhoven and Forsythe, a skeleton crew of a half-dozen Champ Car employees will be retained through the annual street race fest. The remaining CC staff received four weeks severance pay plus an additional week for every year of service since 2004.

:saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
02-22-08, 10:54 PM

”It’s been tough, but now the real work starts,” said George, who is expected to add Long Beach, Edmonton and Australia to the ’08 schedule, although Long Beach will likely have only the former Champ Car teams competing since Motegi, Japan is also being run.

It’s believed Newman/Haas/Lanigan (Graham Rahal and Justin Wilson), PKV Racing (Oriol Servia). Walker Racing (Will Power) and Conquest Racing (Franck Berera) are definites to join the IRL, with PKV and Conquest expected to field two cars.

Minardi Team USA, Forsythe, RocketSports, Dale Coyne and Pacific Coast Motorsports remain question marks.

None of the Champ Car teams will be ready for the oval-track test next Wednesday-Thursday and will have to scramble to make Sebring on March 3-6. But the IRL will give the Champ Car teams their own oval track testing next month prior to the March 29th opener.

Because Long Beach is operated by Kalkhoven and Forsythe, a skeleton crew of a half-dozen Champ Car employees will be retained through the annual street race fest. The remaining CC staff received four weeks severance pay plus an additional week for every year of service since 2004.

:saywhat:

Also:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/wind-tunnel-sunday-to-focus-on-open-wheel-unification/

Robin Miller, SPEED’s Open Wheel Racing Analyst, who been following the story of the unification of American open wheel racing (officially announced Friday afternoon) closely the past several weeks, will join Dave Despain in the studio to Co-Host Wind Tunnel this Sunday February 24th at 9 p.m. ET.

Get your RM hatin' on, but in the end, he got it right.

-Kevin

KLang
02-22-08, 10:57 PM
I thought I was prepared but I'm still really bummed. :(

grungex
02-22-08, 10:58 PM
I was resigned, and now I'm f-ing pissed. :flame:

rabbit
02-22-08, 11:43 PM
:) :( :\

(I have mixed emoticons about this.)

dando
02-22-08, 11:48 PM
:) :( :\

(I have mixed emoticons about this.)

I'd add a :mad: too.

-Kevin

nrc
02-23-08, 12:28 AM
Get your RM hatin' on, but in the end, he got it right.

-Kevin

Which version?

dando
02-23-08, 12:44 AM
Which version?

You know, I don't think anyone knew until the ink was put to the paper. Just my guess, FWIW. Personally, I think he was used in all of this, and mebbe he had an agenda after the powers that be (aka: the three stooges) canned his ass. That raceday chat with RM, Philips, and Kirby was the last thing that was worthwhile on the CCWS site (other than live timing). Anyway, I just never got the RM angst the past several months. Oh well.

-Kevin

RacinM3
02-23-08, 01:57 AM
http://tattooedgurus.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/04-fat-lady-sings.jpg

OW
02-23-08, 03:15 AM
As much as I love openwheel...and grown up thinking Indy cars yet went the Champ Car way...

Phonetically I like "Champ Car" over "Indy"....I hope they get rid of "I am Mindy"... It sucks

This will take a LOoong time to re-program my neurons...

I just hope that the phonetic sound of "..indy..." gets balls that "Champ Car" had.

It hurts..Its hurts...

I resolve to the better...for unification...but da m...it will take time...

OW

Napoleon
02-23-08, 08:53 AM
Well I heard the news on the evening news here in Cleveland when they announced the cancellation of the Cleveland GP.

I won't be going to any IRL events, that is for sure.

OW
02-23-08, 09:43 AM
As much as I love openwheel...and grown up thinking Indy cars yet went the Champ Car way...

Phonetically I like "Champ Car" over "Indy"....I hope they get rid of "I am Mindy"... It sucks

This will take a LOoong time to re-program my neurons...

I just hope that the phonetic sound of "..indy..." gets balls that "Champ Car" had.

It hurts..Its hurts...

I resolve to the better...for unification...but da m...it will take time...

OW

This same post placed at CCF...
The best thing about this debacle is what I got from CCF

"
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

:rofl: :rofl: I have been banned for trying to say "get with it" and "Champ Car " as a name will be missed... They have no brains

Hey OC, don't change a thing for at least this season...

Insomniac
02-23-08, 12:02 PM

I imagine it's a foregone conclusion that all things Gene Simmons are gone.

RTKar
02-23-08, 12:21 PM
Sorry to see it go but the real Champcar has been gone awhile. Eventhough some may consider the racing to have been good, what were you really watching in the way of skill? Twenty of the best New York cab drivers in equally prepared spec cars could have been entertaining as well. I don't think we've been watching the pinnacle of motorsports the last few years. As sad as it is, knowing tg is running OW racing is worse. The loss of some excellent venues is unbelievable.

chicanor
02-23-08, 11:45 PM
more than anything, its really too bad that so many CC employees are out of jobs. something we feared would happen if the idiot brigade of IRL took over. really tired of hearing it being called a merge... total take over IMO.

cameraman
02-23-08, 11:58 PM
I imagine it's a foregone conclusion that all things Gene Simmons are gone.

Tony George is running the show. Why would he change a thing. He was right all along, don't you see?
:tony: :tony: :tony:

Spicoli
02-24-08, 01:19 AM
more than anything, its really too bad that so many CC employees are out of jobs. something we feared would happen if the idiot brigade of IRL took over. really tired of hearing it being called a merge... total take over IMO.

huh? eveyone with half a brain new this was coming. SJohnson should have been the first clue, preceded by PoleDance PaulMeister. :gomer:

Sad indeed.:(

Insomniac
02-24-08, 10:57 AM
Tony George is running the show. Why would he change a thing. He was right all along, don't you see?
:tony: :tony: :tony:

I just figured given the sextape thing, he would probably not be kept around.

extramundane
02-24-08, 03:21 PM
I just figured given the sextape thing, he would probably not be kept around.

For a brief second, I thought you meant Tony had a sex tape.

Good luck getting to sleep with that imagine in your brain. If I have to suffer, so does everyone else. :D

G.
02-24-08, 05:12 PM
I'm really going to miss the Face Of Camel Toe.:cry:

formulaben
02-24-08, 05:34 PM
For a brief second, I thought you meant Tony had a sex tape.

Good luck getting to sleep with that imagine in your brain. If I have to suffer, so does everyone else. :D

:yuck:

I'm really going to miss the Face Of Camel Toe.:cry:

Thanks, I needed that...;)

Lux Interior
02-26-08, 05:33 AM
F1 has always been first for me. I've been liking ALMS lately. Not sure what I will do as far the IRL goes. Just wait and see I guess.

cart7
02-26-08, 06:24 AM
I wonder what the severance package is for the FOCC? Will she get to keep the Tiara?

pchall
02-26-08, 08:28 AM
"We're not going to convince everybody that we have the best intentions for open-wheel racing at heart. There will always be those (fans) who won't be dragged along without kicking and screaming." - The Idiot Grandson

We're right back to this. As fans we're getting shafted by both ends of this merger thing and still with little hope of overall improvement in the sport with the helicopter crash of The Split 3 in a couple of years.:flame:

Insomniac
02-26-08, 10:10 AM
We're right back to this. As fans we're getting shafted by both ends of this merger thing and still with little hope of overall improvement in the sport with the helicopter crash of The Split 3 in a couple of years.:flame:

It was beginning to look like we were going to get the short end of the stick no matter what. No question that the IRL fans gain the most right now.

eiregosod
02-26-08, 10:36 AM

FTG is arrogant enough to think that the fans will blindly follow his series. must have got his data from Jan shaf fer telling him they'll come kicking and screaming.

FTG is trying to make the fans cheer for ANUS' demise before the series even starts.

edit; FTG says "Let them eat cake".