PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure TG is really enjoying this.

Andrew Longman
02-21-08, 03:10 PM
This quote from Walker regarding CC at LB got me thinking:

“I mean, it’s a nice way to say goodbye to the cars and to Champ Car, but I think somebody is going to have to place some big money on the table.”

Whether it is funding the field for LB or the entire season, KK has very little motivation to undewrite teams as he has in years past.

Thinking about it, KK can say he'll fund teams if CC runs the full season, but if TG wants a merger this year, he's going to have to pick up the tab. That will go beyond the $1.2MM, chassis and engines. Especially if 16 cars are needed on the grid for LB and another 16 are needed in Motegi.

And consider this, TG has said the TEAM program will only fund 24 cars, so unless he changes his mind many CC teams simply will not be extended the offer. Given that, why would they "help out" with the LBGP unless there was big money involved? PCM and others may be more interested in pursuing other racing interests (e.g., ALMS).

The point is this is probably getting very expensive for TG and for all the money he still has done this in a way that produces the least amount of interest and team value as possible.

Be careful what you ask for TG.

cart7
02-21-08, 03:17 PM
He's such a doofus.

Think about all the money he's pissed away over the years on the earl and then consider he could've bought out CART in 1991 for probably half that amount. :tony:

Andrew Longman
02-21-08, 03:29 PM
I imagine this is what is holding up the deal. TG thinks KK/CC should just be falling over themselves to make this deal while KK can say he's willing to wait. At this point the pressure has to be much more on TG to get this done, while if KK shows willingness to wait he either gets more money for this year or pushes it to next year when more CC owned events can be added to the schedule and there is a greater chance that Coz and Panoz are part of the deal.

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 03:32 PM
Could be appeasing Honda ensured a longterm re-up?

I have a feeling Honda doesn't hesitate to cut the checks as long as they get their 'Indy win'.

Spicoli
02-21-08, 03:53 PM
This quote from Walker regarding CC at LB got me thinking:

Whether it is funding the field for LB or the entire season, KK has very little motivation to undewrite teams as he has in years past.

Thinking about it, KK can say he'll fund teams if CC runs the full season, but if TG wants a merger this year, he's going to have to pick up the tab. That will go beyond the $1.2MM, chassis and engines. Especially if 16 cars are needed on the grid for LB and another 16 are needed in Motegi.

And consider this, TG has said the TEAM program will only fund 24 cars, so unless he changes his mind many CC teams simply will not be extended the offer. Given that, why would they "help out" with the LBGP unless there was big money involved? PCM and others may be more interested in pursuing other racing interests (e.g., ALMS).

The point is this is probably getting very expensive for TG and for all the money he still has done this in a way that produces the least amount of interest and team value as possible.

Be careful what you ask for TG.

24 cars? Cmon - please name the 24 cars that REALISTICALLY would line up in EARL for the season:

Show your work. :D

extramundane
02-21-08, 04:10 PM
24 cars? Cmon - please name the 24 cars that REALISTICALLY would line up in EARL for the season:

Vision 10-car uberteam, baby. The only challenge will be finding 9 drivers worse than Special Ed.

Andrew Longman
02-21-08, 04:37 PM

Spic, I think you misunderstood. 15-16 cars are currently pretty solid for the IRL. If TG is capping TEAM funding at 24 cars that only allows 8-9 CC cars for move over. That's not far-fetched. Not many more than that likely want to move over.

But then how does he go from those 8-9 to the 16 he needs for LBGP? Those extra cars can essentially set their own price if he want this done.

Worse for TG would be if it comes that the only way to make this work is for CC to run their regular 08 season with the understanding that an orderly merger will happen in 09. In that scenario, what's to stop KK from saying, "Tony, you want this this around in 09 to merge with, you need to pay to keep it going that long."

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 04:41 PM
Spic, I think you misunderstood. 15-16 cars are currently pretty solid for the IRL. If TG is capping TEAM funding at 24 cars that only allows 8-9 CC cars for move over. That's not far-fetched. Not many more than that likely want to move over.

But then how does he go from those 8-9 to the 16 he needs for LBGP? Those extra cars can essentially set their own price if he want this done.

Worse for TG would be if it comes that the only way to make this work is for CC to run their regular 08 season with the understanding that an orderly merger will happen in 09. In that scenario, what's to stop KK from saying, "Tony, you want this this around in 09 to merge with, you need to pay to keep it going that long."

Um, spickles hates being call spic. I once called him that and he sold my cell # to one of Gentloser's 'find a friend' call lines. Took two weeks before they stopped calling.

Spicoli
02-21-08, 05:41 PM

I gotcha. Well, wgaf is the way i feel. LBGP is farking toast any way you slice it.

stroker
02-21-08, 05:56 PM
Y'know, what might be cool is for them to open up LB to a "runwhatchabrung" Champ Car race. Got a Reynard or a Lola? Bring it. Put up a decent appearance money and call it the "Champ Car Last Hurrah!" or something. Be nice to see a sort of a "present-day Historic" race.

Never happen, of course...

TravelGal
02-21-08, 07:58 PM
Y'know, what might be cool is for them to open up LB to a "runwhatchabrung" Champ Car race. Got a Reynard or a Lola? Bring it. Put up a decent appearance money and call it the "Champ Car Last Hurrah!" or something. Be nice to see a sort of a "present-day Historic" race.

Now THAT's an idea I could get behind and would actually attend to see.

nissan gtp
02-21-08, 08:39 PM

post $2M for the winner, $1M for second, $500K for third

stroker
02-21-08, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. The question is, Who pays the money? There's nobody who benefits from the race being a success that would do it...

:cry:

greenie
02-21-08, 11:39 PM
Given that, why would they "help out" with the LBGP unless there was big money involved?

It's a repo man special - they're going to sucker everyone into bringing their overdue leased cars to LB and take them all back. Hopefully after the race of course.

ferrarigod
02-22-08, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. The question is, Who pays the money? There's nobody who benefits from the race being a success that would do it...

:cry:

when the LBGP would be an IRL race anton would benefit over the years, and he seems ok with spending clabber money, so let him.

Insomniac
02-22-08, 09:46 AM
post $2M for the winner, $1M for second, $500K for third

That won't work. They need to have money all the way to the last spot. Why would a team do a one-off? They'd basically be hoping all the top teams from last year screw up for them to have a chance.