PDA

View Full Version : panoz champcars to run in the irl long beach race

High Sided
02-21-08, 12:37 PM
:saywhat: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/champ-car-irl-deal-on-final-approach/ :saywhat:

Racing Truth
02-21-08, 12:42 PM
Shotgun wedding, baby!:thumbup:

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

a$$clowns.

eiregosod
02-21-08, 12:47 PM
Judge Otte presides over the legitimacy of the LBGP win.

extramundane
02-21-08, 12:51 PM
Whoever created this was more right than he knew, apparently:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6042/merger50276rj1.jpg

eiregosod
02-21-08, 12:57 PM
^ I thionk that two seaters with two drivers would be fun. :D

Wally
02-21-08, 01:02 PM
Here's to hoping a freighter full of Dallara's has to ditch somewhere over the north Pacific.......one problem solved.:gomer:

nrc
02-21-08, 01:07 PM
The fault for such idiocy would rest clearly with Honda and their idiot lapdog. If classic events like Cleveland, Portland, Road America, and Toronto can be dropped to accomidate a merger with nothing more than the hope that they might be back in the future there's no reason that Honda shouldn't bite the bullet and do the same with their event.

SteveH
02-21-08, 01:09 PM
The fault for such idiocy would rest clearly with Honda and their idiot lapdog. If classic events like Cleveland, Portland, Road America, and Toronto can be dropped to accomidate a merger with nothing more than the hope that they might be back in the future there's no reason that Honda shouldn't bite the bullet and do the same with their event.

Excellent point, that is if it weren't for Honda pulling the strings on the IRL. And still will well into the future.

nrc
02-21-08, 01:12 PM
Excellent point, that is if it weren't for Honda pulling the strings on the IRL. And still will well into the future.

Just more proof that this is not an arrangement that champ car fans should stomach in the vain hope that things will get better in the future.

robot9000
02-21-08, 02:25 PM
I can't get the picture out of my mind of FTG and Co. being treated like Sean Connery and "Tax Man" in Rising Sun. Complete with American assclown spokesman.

I bet they were handed Honda F1 lapel pins as they were told the way to the elevator (and don't forget to turn in your visitor pass to the lady in the lobby).

mueber
02-21-08, 02:33 PM
Although I have no desire to participate, it just shows what jerks the people at Honda are. It also explains why a Honda product will never occupy my shed or garage again. When we all meet here again to express our support for C^RT III, we can point to the 2008 Long Beach Grand Prix as the first sign that the "merger" couldn't fix anything.

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 02:36 PM
I don't get it.

“We’re already going to be way behind the IRL guys, so now we’re going to run two IRL races, put away those cars, dust off our Panoz and tow them to California for a one-off race?” said Walker.

So why wouldn't they run the IRL tubs that they races the first two races in. And if not all of the teams are going to the party, and if the IRL is off in Japan...how many cars could they even muster for LB?

Racing Truth
02-21-08, 02:39 PM
I don't get it.

So why wouldn't they run the IRL tubs that they races the first two races in. And if not all of the teams are going to the party, and if the IRL is off in Japan...how many cars could they even muster for LB?

Well, that's the thing. CCWS can honor the contract, but I don't see how that binds the teams into doing so.

Ed_Severson
02-21-08, 02:40 PM
how many cars could they even muster for LB?

It depend$. :p

Insomniac
02-21-08, 02:45 PM

Absolutely. Honda could easily drop the race for one year given that they hand out most of the tickets to employees anyways. ChampCar is getting decimated in this "merger". The IRL did not compromise a thing, they only gave up some money/equipment.

Insomniac
02-21-08, 02:48 PM
I don't get it.

That's probably why they wouldn't run the IRL equipment. There just won't be enough to get a full grid. There would be enough DP01 equipment out there and presumably enough one-off drivers to get a full grid at LB. Think of it like TG filling the Indy 500 grid.

redmist
02-21-08, 02:57 PM
Absolutely. Honda could easily drop the race for one year given that they hand out most of the tickets to employees anyways. ChampCar is getting decimated in this "merger". The IRL did not compromise a thing, they only gave up some money/equipment.\

exactly, motegi is essentially the company picinic for honda employees, cancel it for the year .set up some pingpong tables and a saki bar and they'll be just as happy. christ, what a mess, i've seen monkey **** fights at the zoo better organized.

Racing Truth
02-21-08, 03:00 PM
That's probably why they wouldn't run the IRL equipment. There just won't be enough to get a full grid. There would be enough DP01 equipment out there and presumably enough one-off drivers to get a full grid at LB. Think of it like TG filling the Indy 500 grid.

Name some (drivers).

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 03:01 PM
Name some (drivers).

Fill it out with Atlantics!!

Racing Truth
02-21-08, 03:04 PM
Fill it out with Atlantics!!

That, under the ridiculous circumstances, is quite reasonable, but just make the whole race Atlantics, while the others continue working and racing with the Dallaras.

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 03:06 PM
That, under the ridiculous circumstances, is quite reasonable, but just make the whole race Atlantics, while the others continue working and racing with the Dallaras.

:thumbup:

patski
02-21-08, 03:13 PM

Except for the fact that the CCAtlantics will probably be lapping the Dalllaras.

Racing Truth
02-21-08, 03:20 PM
Except for the fact that the CCAtlantics will probably be lapping the Dalllaras.

Under my scenario, the Dallaras (and CC teams) would all be in Motegi anyway.

oddlycalm
02-21-08, 03:32 PM
Just more proof that this is not an arrangement that champ car fans should stomach in the vain hope that things will get better in the future. Yup, it's like a trip to a VD clinic without effective drugs. You get the full range of unpleasant experiences without curing what was wrong in the first place.

Even with Honda sponsorship the EARL was racing CCWS down the drain. The driver and event exodus (condensed schedule) made that clear enough. Adding a few more cars to that pathetic mix isn't a recipe for success.

oc

Insomniac
02-21-08, 04:06 PM
Name some (drivers).

I'm sure there are plenty of drivers in the paddocks with helmets. Plenty of former CC and IRL drivers who wouldn't mind driving for at least a weekend. Not to mention that guys from both sides are going to lose rides they may've had in 2008 without a merger. They are going to go from a presumed 36 or so combined cars to 24 or so in one series.

Rus'L
02-21-08, 04:11 PM
\

exactly, motegi is essentially the company picinic for honda employees, cancel it for the year.

Exactly, which is why Honda will never cancel it.

You folks really need a lesson in Japanese corporate culture.

Elmo T
02-21-08, 04:17 PM
A photo of the 2008 LB starting grid?

http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/062005_1a.jpg

redmist
02-21-08, 05:05 PM
Exactly, which is why Honda will never cancel it.

You folks really need a lesson in Japanese corporate culture.

you're right i don't know whole lot about japanese culture but they were willing to take one for the team on the deck of the uss missouri once, i think they could mothball a **** race for a year.

Andrew Longman
02-21-08, 07:03 PM
you're right i don't know whole lot about japanese culture but they were willing to take one for the team on the deck of the uss missouri once, i think they could mothball a **** race for a year.

OTOH, Honda might just not care that much. It's not their house and they didn't make the mess. They could easily see it is TG and the braintrust's problem to clean it up. Meanwhile, they will keep their house in order.

Don Quixote
02-21-08, 07:16 PM
i think they could mothball a **** race for a year.

Godzilla will kick your ass for calling that a **** race. :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
02-21-08, 07:44 PM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: ^^^^ Godzira

coolhand
02-21-08, 08:20 PM
\

exactly, motegi is essentially the company picinic for honda employees, cancel it for the year .set up some pingpong tables and a saki bar and they'll be just as happy. christ, what a mess, i've seen monkey **** fights at the zoo better organized.

lol :rofl:

Be careful some Japanese might commit suicide if they miss the picnic. shame,,,,,is,,,,,too,,,,,much

Fio1
02-21-08, 09:29 PM
Now that's great! :rofl: This is amateur hour at it's finest! :shakehead

Jag_Warrior
02-21-08, 10:17 PM
A photo of the 2008 LB starting grid?

http://www.tommychang.net/uploaded_images/062005_1a.jpg

Sad, but likely true. :shakehead

ferrarigod
02-22-08, 01:26 AM
An Atlantics race with a full field would be WAY more interesting than LBGP with CC's and Montenegro combined!

Just drop the Dallara and the Panozi's and switch to the Swift. Shoehorn in a turbo and move on.

The only thing I care about in this split is Atlantics. Somehow the great people running this will manage to f up the best thing in open wheel.

SteveH
02-22-08, 01:57 AM
Run the Celebrity race on Sunday in the DP-01s :eek: :D Would be a smash hit, literally. Death Race 2008. Watch as Hollywood celebrities cheat death at every turn as they compete on the streets of Long Beach.

Of course, it would still be tape delayed.

Insomniac
02-22-08, 09:47 AM
Run the Celebrity race on Sunday in the DP-01s :eek: :D Would be a smash hit, literally. Death Race 2008. Watch as Hollywood celebrities cheat death at every turn as they compete on the streets of Long Beach.

Of course, it would still be tape delayed.

And if you thought turn 1 in Cleveland was bad...

Methanolandbrats
02-22-08, 09:56 AM

Of course, it would still be tape delayed. The IRL already tried that racing model with IPS and Jason Priestley.