PDA

View Full Version : Dear Auto Manufactures,

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 11:29 AM
Dear Auto Manufactures,

Please cease all further design and production of vehicles with faux, non-functioning ‘wings’. If it doesn’t produce significant down force at speeds above oh, say 45mph, in the name of performance don’t tack it on. Chevy, there is no need for a 120hp Cobalt to have a wing. Toyota, there is no reason for a 135hp Corolla to have a wing and side skirts. I could go on with a list across most brands.

This isn’t something that I just recently started to notice either, this dates back to the early ‘70’s Firebirds. I always thought the smooth back Firebird was a much cleaner design than the Firebirds with the barn-door wing on the back.

Of course, it’s obvious why manufactures do this. Wing emotes performance. So when young Bobby fresh out of college goes out to buy a new Sentra to commute to his new job he can feel better about his purchase because it has a wing and maybe even plastic side skirts, it’s less mundane. Less commuter car for his commuter car. But it doesn't just end with spicing up a generic commuter. Supposed 'performance' cars have non functioning wings too.

I’m assuming this is an American cultural choice. Typically European cars, entry level to luxury to sports cars don’t include the tacky plastic wing. I’m not sure about the Asian contingent.

I’m actually rather surprised to still see new cars being offered with faux wings. I saw a commercial last night for a new Cobalt that had a big faux wing. Which is what promted this blog. In the late ‘70’s and throughout the ‘80’s American cars were so bad they had to screw plastic doodads on them in order to get an ohh and ahh from those who walked into the dealer. “Yes, it’s a piece of junk, but check out the cool wing, racing strips and side skirts” “Ahh”.

Now, not all of the wings have been atrocities (just most). I liked the ‘futuristic’ wing on the Eagle Talon GT and the wing on the third gen Eclipse was nicely integrated. But still, the fact that they are there only for aesthetics bothers me.

At least I think we’ve moved past from the faux hood scoops with the demise of the Camero/Firebird. I think. I hope.

Coming soon, Part 2, fog lights.

WickerBill
02-21-08, 11:37 AM
Sometimes, even if it does produce downforce over 45mph, it has to go.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/plymouth-superbird/images/plymouth-superbird-1970a.jpg

cameraman
02-21-08, 03:05 PM

Bite me. You try driving on these roads without fog lights.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/photographs700/vog3.jpg

They are meant for <35 mph driving and they greatly help you avoid rocks, ruts and pronghorns.

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 03:14 PM
Bite me. You try driving on these roads without fog lights.

They are meant for <35 mph driving and they greatly help you avoid rocks, ruts and pronghorns.

Agreed, but I'm assuming you actually have 'real' fog lights for a real purpose.

the fog lights on my wifes minivan and on my pickup truck are just factory optional fluff.

"hey honey, it's foggy and I can't see a thing. I'll turn on our factory fog lights that helped attract us to this model in the showroom." click (no difference) "there, look how much better we can see! Boy, I sure am glad we paid extra for factory fog light." :)

I do turn them on when it's raining. Not so I can see better, but so that it increases the probability that oncoming traffic can see me.

I think it really comes down to flipping switches. Guys love flipping switches. I love turning on my fog lights because it's one more switch to flip. I wish I had a cockpit like an airplane. I want a car where you have to flip 17 different things just to start it. Now that would rock! They wouldn't have to do anything actually, but the car wouldn't start if you didn't flip them in th eright sequence.

Andrew Longman
02-21-08, 03:23 PM

Living in an area with 300+ deer per sq. mile, I like having as much light as possible to throw out in front of me at night.

Fog? Not so much of a concern.

Faux scoops have bugged me since I was a kid.

As for wings/spoilers, I'll allow a modest treatment and admit it can improve the look of a car, but what really bothered me was when the kid across the street added a huge airfoil to his Eclipse. Worse he mounted it crooked and that feng shui violation caught my eye every time I looked out the window. :irked: :gomer:

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 03:53 PM
Living in an area with 300+ deer per sq. mile, I like having as much light as possible to throw out in front of me at night.

Fog? Not so much of a concern.

Faux scoops have bugged me since I was a kid.

As for wings/spoilers, I'll allow a modest treatment and admit it can improve the look of a car, but what really bothered me was when the kid across the street added a huge airfoil to his Eclipse. Worse he mounted it crooked and that feng shui violation caught my eye every time I looked out the window. :irked: :gomer:

As I walked through the parking garage at work today I took notice of how many 'wings' I saw. I would say one out of every five cars, not including SUV's had a faux wing. More than I would have guessed actually. Something I also noticed is that most minivans have some sort of wing and if I recall they actually serve a purpose. Funny!
I agree that some actual help the looks of a car, it the functionality or lack there of that bugs me the most. Pretty silly decoration really.
I saw a TT with a small, 1 inch wicker not much of an asthetic, I wonder if that is a functional element?
the porsche boxster and chysler crossfire have a wing that deploys at a set mph and supposedly actually increases rear end stability. Cool. :cool:

RichK
02-21-08, 04:03 PM
Our SUV has a faux wing, which I think improves the looks. :\

http://www.cardata.com/spoilers/images/DR-208_toyota_sequoia_wlight_2001-2005.jpg

cameraman
02-21-08, 04:07 PM
Are you considering this a wing?

http://www.toyota.com/img/vehicles/2009/camry/gallery/full/2009_camry_se_2.jpg

They call it a spoiler, I call it decorative changing of the car's lines.

grungex
02-21-08, 04:07 PM
I saw a TT with a small, 1 inch wicker not much of an asthetic, I wonder if that is a functional element?

They had to add that, the original "clean" TT had a nasty habit of losing the back end under certain conditions...

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 04:12 PM
Our SUV has a faux wing, which I think improves the looks. :\

http://www.cardata.com/spoilers/images/DR-208_toyota_sequoia_wlight_2001-2005.jpg

I think those serve the same purpose as the minivan spoilers. They help air flow past the rear window. This helps with rain and/or dirt. WAG though.

But your Toyota pic reminded me of my upcoming part 3, giant rear tail light areas where only a small section is used the brake light. the most important part IMO. I see this all the time. Giant red tail lights and teeny tiny little brake lights section. I don't get it. One of the new Caddys has optical or LED lights all the way across the rear and when it comes on it's like the sun. First time I saw one I said to myself, now there's a break light. I really did.

/needs to get a life. :D

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 04:19 PM
Are you considering this a wing?

They call it a spoiler, I call it decorative changing of the car's lines.

Nah, I'll let the spoiler go for now.

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2008toyotacorollasbacklm8.jpg

Insomniac
02-21-08, 04:20 PM
Before I got my driver's license, I wanted a 1993 Honda Accord EX with a spoiler and the brake light LEDs that lit up from the middle to the edge. I thought it looked pretty cool. (I may or may not be making up the brake light thing. I swear I saw it once, but never really saw it again as far as I can recall.) My best friend had a Dodge Stealth. I was not a fan of the spoiler on that car. I preferred the one on the Mitsubishi 3000GT a lot more.

Ed_Severson
02-21-08, 04:23 PM
I think those serve the same purpose as the minivan spoilers. They help air flow past the rear window. This helps with rain and/or dirt. WAG though.

That thing's all about fuel efficiency -- reduces drag so you can achieve 11 mpg instead of 10.

RichK
02-21-08, 04:34 PM
That thing's all about fuel efficiency -- reduces drag so you can achieve 11 mpg instead of 10.

Hey, man! We got 19mpg from San Francisco to Yosemite Valley last week!

Hmph!

p.s. - Maybe Sean can do a Part IV about how "mid-size" sedans are made with 240hp V6's and get almost the same mileage as my giant V8 SUV. Why do Accords & Camrys need 240hp?

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 04:38 PM

Hmph!

p.s. - Maybe Sean can do a Part IV about how "mid-size" sedans are made with 240hp V6's and get almost the same mileage as my giant V8 SUV. Why do Accords & Camrys need 240hp?

That's my pickup!! 240hp V8 and 1mpg.

Accords and Camrys have 240hp models? No wonder they need faux wings! I had no idea.

cameraman
02-21-08, 04:45 PM
Why do Accords & Camrys need 240hp?

The Utah legislature is looking to change the interstate speed limit to 80 mph. I can guarantee you that a 160 hp Subaru Outback can't maintain 85 mph on a several mile long 6% grade:irked:

RichK
02-21-08, 04:46 PM
That's my pickup!! 240hp V8 and 1mpg.

Accords and Camrys have 240hp models? No wonder they need faux wings! I had no idea.

Yep, crazy. From some car mag:

Coupe trim levels range from the well-equipped Accord Coupe LX-S (190 horsepower 4-cylinder engine), to the nicely-equipped Accord Coupe EX (190-horsepower 4-cylinder engine) to the premium and upscale Accord Coupe EX-L (190-horsepower 4-cylinder engine or 268-horsepower V-6 engine).

Andrew Longman
02-21-08, 04:48 PM

Hmph!

My 258hp V6 Acura TL gets 29 mpg at 80 mph.

Not exactly 19mpg and unlike your SUV it'll go to 160 mph and I can take most off ramps at well over 70 mph without scaring anyone but my passengers. Not that I actually do. :D

nrc
02-21-08, 04:54 PM
Two spoilers and one hood scoop in our driveway. The Speed 6 has a very tiny rear spoiler. The two pounds of reduced lift these provide at 75 is critical to our exit ramp speeds. ;)
http://offcamber.net/images/WithRX.jpg

Seriously, it's mostly an aesthetic thing and as with all such things everyone has their own preferences and there's good taste and bad taste.

RichK
02-21-08, 04:58 PM
My 258hp V6 Acura TL gets 29 mpg at 80 mph.

Not exactly 19mpg and unlike your SUV it'll go to 160 mph and I can take most off ramps at well over 70 mph without scaring anyone but my passengers. Not that I actually do. :D

I love the TL! Ever since that commercial with the guy using Bluetooth in the TL to find a hotel in the middle of nowhere, I've wanted that car.

But it's a performance car, so it should have some grunt. I'm talking about my mother-in-law's Camry - she chose the V6 because it came with other features she wanted, but it's a grocery getter that doesn't require 268hp.

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 04:59 PM
I bet your mini's hood scoop is functional though, right? Is it true ram air?

Gnam
02-21-08, 05:00 PM
With the Feds raising the minimum mpg limits on all cars & SUV's, maybe the wings and giant tail lights will be removed to save weight?

nrc
02-21-08, 05:19 PM
I bet your mini's hood scoop is functional though, right? Is it true ram air?

On the 2006 and earlier the hood scoop on the S model was a cool air intake for the supercharged engine. On the 2007 model the engine is turbocharged and the scoop is not used for air induction. Early builds shipped with it completely closed off but they opened it up after heat from the turbo cause some problems with heat soak after shutdown. So it's functional as a cooling vent.

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 05:23 PM
On the 2006 and earlier the hood scoop on the S model was a cool air intake for the supercharged engine. On the model the engine is turbocharged and the scoop is not used for air induction. Early builds shipped with it completely closed off but they opened it up after heat from the turbo cause some problems with heat soak after shutdown. So it's functional as a cooling vent.

:thumbup: :cool:

Walter Zoomie
02-21-08, 10:11 PM
I always liked this one...

http://images.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0605_ptw_05z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_v iew.jpg

And no, I don't own one. Too damn broke...

Methanolandbrats
02-21-08, 10:15 PM
I always liked this one...

http://images.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0605_ptw_05z+porsche_classic_whale_tail+side_v iew.jpg

And no, I don't own one. Too damn broke... Drool....one of the most beautiful sculptures of all-time :thumbup:

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 10:34 PM
Drool....one of the most beautiful sculptures of all-time :thumbup:

Yep. Always wanted one.

I'm 99% sure that the spoiler does something though. Actually, if I recall, doesn't it aid in down force and also have louvers for routing air to the engine?

nrc
02-21-08, 11:10 PM
Yep. Always wanted one.

I'm 99% sure that the spoiler does something though. Actually, if I recall, doesn't it aid in down force and also have louvers for routing air to the engine?

Dood, they all aid in downforce. ;)

They had to have the louvers for air intake because the spoiler would block them otherwise. But the big wing also had room underneath to allow for the intercooler.

Jag_Warrior
02-22-08, 02:16 AM
On the 2006 and earlier the hood scoop on the S model was a cool air intake for the supercharged engine. On the 2007 model the engine is turbocharged and the scoop is not used for air induction. Early builds shipped with it completely closed off but they opened it up after heat from the turbo cause some problems with heat soak after shutdown. So it's functional as a cooling vent.

Where was the intercooler on the '07 turbo models? On the WRX and STI's, the only purpose of the hoodscoop is to aid intercooler efficiency, which is engine top mount. Other makers (and the STI WRC car) tend to go with front mount intercoolers for turbo models, so the hood scoop becomes decoration, or as you said, a cooling vent.

On wings, DCX did a consumer study a few years ago. They continue to mount them because it was shown that people see them as "performance status symbols" (for lack of a better term)... and they pay extra for them. Kinda like (2.0") dual exhaust systems on grocery getters.

Winston Wolfe
02-22-08, 03:00 AM
Yep. Always wanted one.

I have always liked this one - functional ? sure feels like it :thumbup:

37[

oddlycalm
02-22-08, 02:34 PM
The wings and winglets on street cars aren't for downforce, they are there to counter Coanda effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coanda_effect)

Much as I love to poke fun at faux racey bits on street cars at higher speeds even a small lip spoiler will help break the Coanda effect helping to prevent lift and reduce drag.

oc

Sean Malone
02-22-08, 02:43 PM
The wings and winglets on street cars aren't for downforce, they are there to counter Coanda effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coanda_effect)

Much as I love to poke fun at faux racey bits on street cars at higher speeds even a small lip spoiler will help break the Coanda effect helping to prevent lift and reduce drag.

oc

Very cool. Now I can feel better about the ones I get on my cars. :thumbup:

nrc
02-22-08, 03:17 PM
Where was the intercooler on the '07 turbo models? On the WRX and STI's, the only purpose of the hoodscoop is to aid intercooler efficiency, which is engine top mount. Other makers (and the STI WRC car) tend to go with front mount intercoolers for turbo models, so the hood scoop becomes decoration, or as you said, a cooling vent.

It's down the front grill below the radiator. Small and lots of plumbing but it seems to do ok. :cool: The one on Missy's Mazdaspeed 6 is on top but they just bulge the hood and channel air to it from the front grill.

Ankf00
02-22-08, 03:19 PM

oc

thus the ugly lip added to the TT 6 months after it hit the streets

cameraman
02-22-08, 03:31 PM
thus the ugly lip added to the TT 6 months after it hit the streets
The lip seems to be gone on the new ones.

Ankf00
02-22-08, 03:41 PM
boxter style auto-deploy?

oddlycalm
02-23-08, 02:59 AM
boxter style auto-deploy? I dunno, they use an auto-deploy on the R8.

oc

Badger
02-23-08, 02:54 PM
http://www.carpw.com/pictures/mitsubishi/Lancer_Evolution_8_2003_1.jpg

Hey, as long as it's a real wing, I don't mind. What does bother the heck out of me though, are the completely false wings. The current Stang has deep gouges running the entire width of their "wing":rolleyes: . This thing can only hurt drag and downforce.

oddlycalm
02-23-08, 04:52 PM
Hey, as long as it's a real wing, I don't mind. What does bother the heck out of me though, are the completely false wings. The current Stang has deep gouges ruinning the entire width of thier "wing":rolleyes: . This thing can only hurt drag and downforce. You're right, a small lip spoiler is all that's needed to break Coanda effect so aside from keeping the ass end of wagons and minivans clean anything more is just the styling and marketing people are goobers.

oc

cameraman
02-23-08, 05:05 PM
boxter style auto-deploy?

Yep

This:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/audi197.jpg

Turns into this:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/audi204.jpg

Badger
02-23-08, 08:09 PM
You're right, a small lip spoiler is all that's needed to break Coanda effect so aside from keeping the ass end of wagons and minivans clean anything more is just the styling and marketing people are goobers.

oc

The Coandă effect (IPA: ['kwandə]), also known as "boundary layer attachment", is the tendency of a stream of fluid to stay attached to a convex surface, rather than follow a straight line in its original direction.

I can't completely agree with you here. The attachment of a fluid to the convex surface provides better aerodynamics if you have a good basic shape (teardrop) so you certainly don't want to always "break" the Coanda effect. Attachement along the back window is good for lowering drag. On the other hand, the Coanda effect is detrimental to a golf ball because the fluid tries to stay attached until it loses energy, and creates a void causing drag. The dimples break up the coanda effect an in the case of a golf ball, reduce drag. Some spoilers work in the same way in that they will provide a clean break for the airflow if the basic shape is not right.

opinionated ow
02-23-08, 11:52 PM
Agreed, but I'm assuming you actually have 'real' fog lights for a real purpose.

the fog lights on my wifes minivan and on my pickup truck are just factory optional fluff.

"hey honey, it's foggy and I can't see a thing. I'll turn on our factory fog lights that helped attract us to this model in the showroom." click (no difference) "there, look how much better we can see! Boy, I sure am glad we paid extra for factory fog light." :)

I do turn them on when it's raining. Not so I can see better, but so that it increases the probability that oncoming traffic can see me.

I think it really comes down to flipping switches. Guys love flipping switches. I love turning on my fog lights because it's one more switch to flip. I wish I had a cockpit like an airplane. I want a car where you have to flip 17 different things just to start it. Now that would rock! They wouldn't have to do anything actually, but the car wouldn't start if you didn't flip them in th eright sequence.

You obviously have never encountered thick fog. you need every single bit of lighting you can get-and that includes running with your hazard lights on

emjaya
02-24-08, 07:57 AM
A set of (fog) lights mounted as low as possible and able to be switch on independently of the headlights are very handy when on a dirt road, especially when following a truck or two.

Sean Malone
02-24-08, 10:22 AM
You obviously have never encountered thick fog. you need every single bit of lighting you can get-and that includes running with your hazard lights on

Very thick fog is common here in FL. Factory 'fog lights' don't do jack.

cameraman
02-24-08, 06:19 PM
Very thick fog is common here in FL. Factory 'fog lights' don't do jack.

Hate to break it to you but Subaru factory fog lights do a very good job.

oddlycalm
02-25-08, 06:15 AM
if you have a good basic shape (teardrop) so you certainly don't want to always "break" the Coanda effect. Attachement along the back window is good for lowering drag. Depends on the speed, which is why the self-deploying lips like Audi is doing are the ideal situation. Take advantage of the Coanda effect at low speeds for a low drag coefficient then deploy a small lip spoiler at higher speeds to prevent lift and settle the rear.

If you have a high performance cars, and live where it can be safely used to it's full potential, running a small 2" lip spoiler to break the Coanda effect and prevent lift at high speeds is a good thing in my experience. It settles the car nicely at speed and doesn't make it look like some kid's ricer in the process.

oc