PDA

View Full Version : Who here...

Racing Truth
02-20-08, 06:35 PM
is genuinely, after the last month, surprised by what will happen (apparently) Friday morning?

This has seemed inevitable for awhile, IMHO.

dando
02-20-08, 06:37 PM
is genuinely, after the last month, surprised by what will happen (apparently) Friday morning?

This has seemed inevitable for awhile, IMHO.

Nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing.

Oh, OK...when Spickly gets sumthin' right, then I be surprised. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Gnam
02-20-08, 06:49 PM
RM's article two weeks ago was a surprise to me. I thought we were going racing in '08, and I'm disappointed it won't happen. :(

Hot Rod Otis
02-20-08, 06:51 PM
Not suprised at all, nor am I angry, sad or anything else, just don't care anymore. I was an ABA fan, but even I could see at the end it was time to end it and merge what was still viable with the NBA. Same goes for CCWS. This wasn't working and was never going to work, so it is time to end it. All they were doing was dragging the corpse of CART thru the mud and destroying whatever legacy CART had. Not thrilled with the Idiot grandson being in charge, but there ain't a whole lot you can do about it. Sure he's a chowder head but then again pretty much everybody in charge of AOW racing in the last 30 years has been a chowderhead, so its just more of the same.

gjc2
02-20-08, 07:30 PM
For the past few years we have been talking much more about "remergifaction" than racing. Whatever happens it will be anticlimactic. Like many others on this forum, I don't care anymore.

George

cart7
02-20-08, 09:16 PM
Yawn...

TravelGal
02-20-08, 09:30 PM
RM's article two weeks ago was a surprise to me. I thought we were going racing in '08, and I'm disappointed it won't happen. :(

Exactly.

Easy
02-20-08, 10:30 PM
I thought they would shut it down sometime during the '08 season. This is honestly a better deal than that would have been. Of course, thats a worse set of options than most presidential campaigns offer so..

rocket
02-21-08, 09:15 AM
Stevie Wonder saw this coming.:tony:

Insomniac
02-21-08, 09:25 AM
It's somewhat surprising they got something done as many times they have tried. But, we have seen that CC, by all objective measures was not getting better. For IRL fans, it's a real win. For CC fans, it may or may not be good for OWR in the US. But we lose the cars and some tracks that we really love. We get ovals back though. It comes as no shock that the merger will probably be messy. What have they collective, and individually done right over the years?

Sean Malone
02-21-08, 09:35 AM
I'm surprised it happened for the '08 year. I'm also surprised that there is at least some semblance of a cooperative agreement as opposed to Champ Car simply folding.
What I really expect to be surprised about is what they intend to do with Atlantics/Cosworth and a small field of DP01's.

extramundane
02-21-08, 09:52 AM
I'm surprised it happened for the '08 year. I'm also surprised that there is at least some semblance of a cooperative agreement as opposed to Champ Car simply folding.

I'm not surprised that an agreement to [merge, buyout, amalgamate, whatever] happened, but I am kinda surprised that that they're hellbent on getting it done NOW. The damage is already done, what's one more year? Then again, considering the collective braintrust running both series...

What I really expect to be surprised about is what they intend to do with Atlantics/Cosworth and a small field of DP01's.

The sportscar insider-types seem convinced that IMSA will pick up Atlantics. The DP01s, who knows? If they share a tub with the new Superleague car, there might be a potential market for used parts...

dando
02-21-08, 01:46 PM

Like I opined previously...I'll bet it had to happen in '08 or HoMoCo wouldn't have picked up the '09 option. Just a hunch. YMMV.

-Kevin

DagoFast
02-21-08, 01:54 PM
Like I opined previously...I'll bet it had to happen in '08 or HoMoCo wouldn't have picked up the '09 option. Just a hunch. YMMV.

-Kevin

That makes the timing all the more painful. If CCWS could have waited it out until then, owning Cosworth would have been the ace up their sleeve. :\

Wally
02-21-08, 02:40 PM
Sorry, but Montegi needs to go. If homoco is so g*d d***n pro unification they need belly up to the bar and put that POS out of its misery.....just more engine manufacture politics BS.....:shakehead Run crap wagons whatever I don't care but to even consider choosing ANY oval over LB is wacked.:yuck:

Insomniac
02-21-08, 02:58 PM
That makes the timing all the more painful. If CCWS could have waited it out until then, owning Cosworth would have been the ace up their sleeve. :\

Not really. There are plenty of engine builders and it's just a spec engine.

racermike
02-21-08, 03:30 PM
I seem pretty apathetic to the whole thing

Believe it or not, part of me just does not care anymore. Times are changing I guess.

I have other important things in my life now anyways and hardly pay any attention at all.

miatanut
02-21-08, 05:04 PM
The writing was on the wall about a year ago when they decided not to make the next obvious investment, which was to promote the race broadcasts to get the ratings up so the teams would have some TV exposure they could sell to potential sponsors.

That left the whole series dependent on a shakey financial structure which was dependent on the Amigos' and team owners' pockets.

Last spring when I wrote at Fantasyland that I considered the chances of a CCWS '08 season to be 50/50, NOBODY there could see it. It wasn't a way out there projection because it had become clear the Amigos were losing heart.

Rocket's joke is a bit off-color, but so true!

emjaya
02-21-08, 05:05 PM

My wild prediction: Mazda buys Atlantic's, adds them to their group of open wheel race series as a step up from Star Mazda. :gomer:

cameraman
02-21-08, 05:14 PM
My wild prediction: Mazda buys Atlantic's, adds them to their group of open wheel race series as a step up from Star Mazda. :gomer:Considering that Star Mazda has lost three 2008 race dates to this mess (Cleveland, Toronto & Portland) it would be nice if Mazda had something to show for it. Frankly I think Mazda ownership would be the best outcome. Not that I expect any "bests" anywhere in this fubar mess.