PDA

View Full Version : Cavedin

G.
02-19-08, 02:47 PM
some REAL quotes, not the RM kind (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080219/SPORTS0107/802190444/1247/SPORTS)

The four owners of the Champ Car World Series could decide the fate of the Indianapolis-based series today, but one of them offered a word of caution.

Paul Gentilozzi doesn’t expect to see very many, if any, Champ Car teams in the Indy Racing League this season.
“I don’t know of a Champ Car team that is a go,” Gentilozzi said today. “(One owner) told me he’d run (the Indianapolis 500), but he will not run the season.”
Walker Racing is the only Champ Car team that has confirmed its interest in joining the IRL, but team owner Derrick Walker reiterated today that he still doesn’t have the financial backing to make the move.

Said Gentilozzi of moving his Rocketsports team to the IRL: “I can’t make the numbers work.”well, we got that going for us.

chop456
02-19-08, 02:48 PM
I'd rather have total consciousness on my deathbed, thank you very much. :shakehead

extramundane
02-19-08, 03:26 PM
You know the situation is effed when Cave-in is considered the real journalist with integrity. :\

Insomniac
02-19-08, 03:48 PM
I know some people really don't like RM, but what more of a quote does anyone else have than he got? I mean, this isn't telling enough?

“I’m supposed to fly in Indy later this week to get fitted for a seat and then we’re going to have to thrash to make it to the first test in Homestead,” said Tracy, the winningest active driver in Champ Car and its premier personality. “We don’t have any experience with those Dallaras and we’re going to need all the practice we can get but this is definitely the best thing that can happen for open-wheel racing.”

Sean Malone
02-19-08, 03:51 PM
this will all play out with an incredible wimper. NHL and Walker will make the first jump followed by a couple more for the Indy 500. Champ Car will file BK and dissolve like a tic-tac. Maybe a few more for '09.

No big merger, no more Champ Car, Tony just barely gets his 18 or so on the grid and picks through the bones of leftover Champ Car tracks.

A sad, sad ending to a once great series.

Meanwhile, no one will care about a 'new' IndyCar.

My crystal ball rawks.

momotan
02-19-08, 04:14 PM
I am glad to hear the poledancer won't be joining the party. As it stands, it sounds like he's trying one last desperate attempt to scuttle things. FTG will get maybe 8 cars out of this. No doubt that Forsythe and PKV will be getting a free ride this year thanks to the double ******* they just gave FTG so that's 4. NHL is a no brainer so that's 6. After that it gets iffy. Walker makes 7 and then you have to figure Coyne will run the season on a shoe string because that's what he always has done. That would make 8. You never know with Paul Stoddard so Minardi may end up doing nothing or running 2. Conquest is probably indy only for this season. PCM i have heard has already taken delivery of a P2 Creation for the ALMS so they are out. FTG had 14-16 signed up, but at least three backrow teams are questionable. If I had to put money on it, I would say we have seen the last of Sanamax, the John Herb team will never make it to the grid and Foyt will run 1 car, maybe Indy only. I wouldn't be surprised to see that Penske B-Team/Sheckter end up doing the full season.Let's say the season starts with 24 and goes downhill after Indy. Probably end with 20. Not pretty.

TKGAngel
02-19-08, 04:16 PM
Said Gentilozzi of moving his Rocketsports team to the IRL: “I can’t make the numbers work.”

Does this mean that the conversion rate of Tonybucks to KKGFBucks is less than equal?

rosawendel
02-19-08, 04:46 PM
Does this mean that the conversion rate of Tonybucks to KKGFBucks is less than equal?

No, that exchange is probably at a pretty good rate, but only GF and KK are participating in that transaction. Good enough to seal the deal and make them happy, outside the CCWS construct.

I would imagine that the PG rate..... eeeh, not so much.

And the teams themselves get what we already know about. enough to sway someone with sponsors to help pay the bills, but not enough to float a team with no sponsorship for a whole year. So the option is switch and try to make it work, go racing somewhere else, or call uncle tommy to see if they can work for the family car dealership.

Dr. Corkski
02-19-08, 05:05 PM
It means Paulie Poledance can't find a way to take all the credit for killing the unified series too without giving some credit to Tony George.

nissan gtp
02-19-08, 06:41 PM
Said Gentilozzi of moving his Rocketsports team to the IRL: “I can’t make the numbers work.”

That makes me feel a lot better about the mergification.

Poledance helped out back in the day, but sure seemed to be a very big part of the dysfunction at CC.

Racing Truth
02-19-08, 08:05 PM
That makes me feel a lot better about the mergification.

Poledance helped out back in the day, but sure seemed to be a very big part of the dysfunction at CC.

Heh.:rofl: