PDA

View Full Version : More of the same from IMS.

mapguy
05-14-03, 02:30 PM
Arie not cleared for the 500. (http://www.indy500.com/)

But another non-qualified driver, two-time Indy 500 winner Arie Luyendyk, won't get the chance to find more speed. Luyendyk does not have medical clearance to drive for the 87th Indianapolis 500. He crashed during practice May 9.

After the accident the IMS report what that he walked away from the crash. Now he is not cleared to drive.

Someone has to stop this madness before we have someone killed.

Railbird
05-14-03, 02:40 PM
Yeah

Like there's never been anyone hurt, or killed, in motorsports before. :rolleyes:

Comes with the territory.

mapguy
05-14-03, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
Yeah

Like there's never been anyone hurt, or killed, in motorsports before. :rolleyes:

Comes with the territory.

'bird I realise that. What I am talking about is IMS's tradition of late of reporting a driver's state which changes for the worse in a few days. After the accident he walks away with a pain in the back and now he can't drive?

I know racing is dangerous. Racing in the irl is practically suicidal.

Napoleon
05-14-03, 02:45 PM
Bird, I don't think the point is that someone got hurt, more the Kremlin like response of IMS when someone gets injured. You remember how the Kremlin use to deny a leader was sick when rumours were circulating, only to announce an official state funeral a few days later.

(edit- beat to the punch by Mappy)

Hink
05-14-03, 02:47 PM
They're getting really consistent. The IRL is the only series where you only get injured days after crashing. Perhaps it's the attenuator?

I hope the guy's back isn't busted but based on their reporting trends it could well be.

Railbird
05-14-03, 02:52 PM
Hey

I've dogged their ass about the "late developing" injuries before, I just don't believe this is the case with Arie.

JSR
05-14-03, 02:52 PM
Link from the Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/0/042969-6960-092.html)

mapguy
05-14-03, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by JSR
Link from the Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/0/042969-6960-092.html)

Thanks for the link. At least it sounds like his back isn't broken. I just hope to hell that he doesn't put his son in the car.

Napoleon
05-14-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
I just hope to hell that he doesn't put his son in the car.

Why not, he finished third in FC at the SCCA Runoffs in '01. Doesn't that qualify him for the wanker league?

Chitowncartfreak
05-14-03, 04:29 PM
At least Arie had the sense to know that something wasn't right and asked Dr. Bock to reexamine him even after he had originally been cleared to drive last Sunday.

pchall
05-14-03, 04:44 PM
Another fine moment in IRL injury reporting.

Kate
05-15-03, 07:16 AM
Arie is way too old for this kind of racing anyway (although he did reasonably well in the Dakar as I recall). Back injuries are one of those things that do get worse over time, don't they?

RTKar
05-15-03, 08:26 AM
What's interesting was that the initial report was a back injury yet Arie on RPM Wednesday almost sheepishly mentioned feeling groggy, that he had had a slight concusssion. After consulting with the Dr, it was recommended tha he not drive.

JSR
05-15-03, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
What's interesting was that the initial report was a back injury yet Arie on RPM Wednesday almost sheepishly mentioned feeling groggy, that he had had a slight concusssion. After consulting with the Dr, it was recommended tha he not drive.

I believe he said he "may" have a concussion. I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He hit real hard. But I don't think it was confirmed.

Railbird
05-15-03, 10:10 AM
he finished third in FC at the SCCA Runoffs in '01.

Not bad for a teenager.

Remember, a young Ayrton Senna was beaten out of the WKA championship by that racing legend Lake Speed way back when.

Arie jr has tested an IRL car and has shown the same "smooth as silk" traits as his father according to the engineer running the test.

Hell, at least Arie has enough sense to give the kid a chance to mature at a reasonable pace.

Napoleon
05-15-03, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Railbird
Not bad for a teenager.

Maybe, but since he had all new equipment and what approached a pro setup, he had a massive advantage on the field. I think his performance in FF2000 was more relevent. Those were better funded teams with drivers who tend to be younger. He was a mid packer there.

Ziggy
05-15-03, 03:01 PM
Question: When was the last time a driver taking a Crapwagon test was anything short of "talented"

Answer: When his check does not clear

Ziggy

Hink
05-15-03, 03:44 PM
Boy. They really ran out of talent at Indy this year - didn't they?