PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone has balls...

pchall
02-15-08, 01:27 PM
... filming a commercial featuring a racing car from a series that's supposed to be self-immolating at the altar of Indy.

(February 14, 2008)-- At first glance, you might wonder what Champ Car racing and golf have in common. The answer, for starters, is that Bridgestone is the Official Tire of the Champ Car World Series and the Official Tire of the PGA.

With that in mind, Bridgestone Golf decided to bring those two worlds together in their latest television commercial, shot earlier this week outside of Los Angeles and featuring David Martinez in the Pacific Coast Motorsports DP01 Champ Car and Bridgestone Golf-backed PGA pros Freddie Couples, Stuart Appleby, Brandt Snedeker and Charles Howell III...

"Golfers are an appealing demographic that tend to buy high performance tires, so we think Bridgestone Golf can be an effective way for BFNT to gain important brand exposure to a highly desirable consumer group. Working together will benefit both sides of the business."

Add to that BFNT's partnership with the technologically-advanced Champ Car World Series, and you have an advertiser's dream. The commercial is centered around Brandt and Charles "betting" on what is quicker - Appleby driving the Champ Car or the Bridgestone Golf ball hit by Couples. To find out the winner, you'll have to keep your eyes out for the 30-second spot, set to air on the Golf Channel beginning this March.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2008/By400/20080213P_0002.jpg

No doubt featuring Joe Tanto shagging golf balls on his hot lap.

beaner
02-15-08, 01:31 PM
insert washed up golfers with washed up race series joke here

rosawendel
02-15-08, 01:50 PM
bringing golf and racing together is a regurgitation of an old idea.

I seem to recall an older commercial with tiger woods and (assumedly) kimi raikkonen in a mclaren. something about the car would pull up, and the ball would be spinning in the wheel well like a roulette wheel. then it would pop out and bounce over to tiger like it was teeing itself up.

who was that for? tag heuer?

Sean Malone
02-15-08, 02:00 PM
'they' seem to think golf fans and formula fans are of the same ilk.

What's his name on the F1 grid last year stopped and talked to some pro golfer and for ten minutes the announcers went on and on about how similar F1 and golf is.

Whatever. little do they know most golfers in the states are NASCAR fans.

try to find tee times around a NASCAR race in the South.

Accipiter
02-15-08, 02:51 PM
Didn't someone do a golf based ad with David Coulthard a couple of years ago?

Never mind. I guess if you read the thread first, your questions get answered before you ask them.

Chitowncartfreak
02-15-08, 02:58 PM
insert washed up golfers with washed up race series joke here

Except that I would hardly call that group "washed up." Freddie is nearing the end of his career, but still has game when his back cooperates. Appleby was in the final group at the Masters last year. The others are up-and-coming. They are not Phil and Tiger by any means, but really a solid group of golfers.

Sean Malone
02-15-08, 03:08 PM
So when can we expect the Champ Car sponsored by Titleist rumors to hit?

I know, Jer Bear (lol) should build a track around his golf course and host a tournament/race. the golf fans could golf clap at the cars and the race fans could wave Brazilian flags. (it's all I could think of).

Insomniac
02-15-08, 03:16 PM
Except that I would hardly call that group "washed up." Freddie is nearing the end of his career, but still has game when his back cooperates. Appleby was in the final group at the Masters last year. The others are up-and-coming. They are not Phil and Tiger by any means, but really a solid group of golfers.

Is there even such a thing as washed up in Golf? I mean, what sport provides that kind of lifetime of earnings. I mean, they have the Senior PGA Championship.

Sean Malone
02-15-08, 03:18 PM
Is there even such a thing as washed up in Golf? I mean, what sport provides that kind of lifetime of earnings. I mean, they have the Senior PGA Championship.

:rofl: :thumbup:

EVL29
02-15-08, 03:58 PM
Golf=what real athletes do on their days off.

pchall
02-15-08, 04:50 PM
Golf=what real athletes do on their days off.

Golf = what John Daly does when the case is empty and the fifth can't be found.

Chitowncartfreak
02-15-08, 05:05 PM
Golf = what John Daly does when the case is empty and the fifth can't be found.

When a player pulls out of a tournament, his place in the standings is marked "WD". In most cases, it stand for "withdrew". In Daly's case, it stands for "went drinking."

BZSetshot
02-15-08, 05:10 PM
bringing golf and racing together is a regurgitation of an old idea.

I seem to recall an older commercial with tiger woods and (assumedly) kimi raikkonen in a mclaren. something about the car would pull up, and the ball would be spinning in the wheel well like a roulette wheel. then it would pop out and bounce over to tiger like it was teeing itself up.

who was that for? tag heuer?

Yep. Tag...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3PgSEibMs

beaner
02-15-08, 05:19 PM

In all fairness, I was referring to Couples. Apologies for not making it more clearly in my original post.

I dont follow golf as of late, so the two up and comers mean nothing to me. Kinda like a bunch of young ride buyers in Chamcar.