PDA

View Full Version : GMail question

TravelGal
02-14-08, 03:39 AM
Finally and at last I'm trying to use my gmail account. The first attempt was to send a notice to a list of about 60 people. I threw caution to the winds and put them ALL in the bcc box. Perhaps that is the cause of the error message. With Outlook Express, I always send only 30 at a time.

The error message I got was (paraphrased) that not all the email addresses were configured properly and I should fix the offending ones. Unlike in OE, it won't send any until they are all correct.

The problem is that I've been sending to the same list for years and OE never had any difficulties. How can I reconfigure someone's email address if it is already correct????

HELP!

cameraman
02-14-08, 03:58 AM
Well you should be able to send to up to 100 people at once using a pop or imap client. I'd guess that something about one of those addresses actually is screwed up. Make sure some stray character didn't get copied over when you set up the contacts.

TravelGal
02-14-08, 04:12 AM
ooooookayyyyyyy. Seriously, thanks for replying.

I looked for that but I'll look again when I'm more awake. Whenever that might be.

I hate the feature that it holds up the whole list while you fiddle around looking for the one it thinks is wrong.

JLMannin
02-14-08, 08:28 AM
You can enable the POP3 downloading and use the e-mail client of your choice to download your gmail. You can set up gmail to archive the messages after they are downloaded and you can keep them forever, or until you hit googles ever increasing upper mailbox limit - around 6GB or so and constantly increasing.

WickerBill
02-14-08, 08:45 AM
Make sure the separating mark between your email addresses is a semicolon or a comma. Make sure, if your email addresses are formatted like this:

"Real Name" <email.name@yahoo.com>

...that the real name is in double quotes not single quotes. Make sure the email address is between < and >, not parentheses or brackets.

TravelGal
02-14-08, 07:59 PM
When I read WB's post, the light went on. In new, modern, wonderfully snazzy Gmail, you have to separate the addresses. With OE, you can copy a whole column from an Excel spreadsheet and paste it into the bcc box. Two clicks, no muss, no fuss. As soon as I laboriously put in a comma between each of the addresses, shazaaaam, it worked.

Now, can anyone tell me how to create a group email so I put in the commas once and not every time?

This larning stuff makin' me head tired.

cameraman
02-14-08, 08:04 PM
Can't you just use your outlook program as a pop client and not have to worry about any of that? I access my gmail account using Apple Mail. All my addresses, groups, sigs and everything else are in that program, it does not matter which of 4 different email providers I am using.

dando
02-14-08, 08:20 PM
When I read WB's post, the light went on. In new, modern, wonderfully snazzy Gmail, you have to separate the addresses. With OE, you can copy a whole column from an Excel spreadsheet and paste it into the bcc box. Two clicks, no muss, no fuss. As soon as I laboriously put in a comma between each of the addresses, shazaaaam, it worked.

Now, can anyone tell me how to create a group email so I put in the commas once and not every time?

This larning stuff makin' me head tired.

If you go under Contacts (left nav) and then select the contacts you want (middle pane) and then create a group (pane on the right). PM me if you want to IM through this.

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-15-08, 02:32 AM
First of all, cameraman, best edit reason I've ever read (Reason: grammar spelling content coherence). JL alluded, I think, to what you are saying also. I am so inexperienced with GMail (like 30 minutes worth) that it didn't occur to me to even try working through another program. Also I've never tried to link programs like that. Definitely need to learn how to do it.

However, dando's explanation was so much quicker. Only took adding and subtracting the same people twice for me to realize exactly what was happening. LOL!

Here endeth (me hopeth) the GMail saga. At least for the time being.

You dudes rock.

JLMannin
02-15-08, 08:40 AM
You can also use gmail to download mail from multiple POP accounts. Messages are tagged by which address they were sent to, and you can instruct google what address to use when replying to messages. I have a couple of junk e-mail addresses that I give out freely when registering for websites and the like.

In gmail, just click on settings and look for the various tabs to see what you can do.

Ed_Severson
02-15-08, 06:49 PM
'Gal, I would also recommend using Outlook as a client for your Gmail account -- this is what I do, and it's really easy to setup and use. You can go here (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011488981033.aspx) and follow the instructions -- takes about 5 minutes total.

Cam
02-15-08, 07:27 PM
'Gal, I would also recommend using Outlook as a client for your Gmail account -- this is what I do, and it's really easy to setup and use. You can go here (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011488981033.aspx) and follow the instructions -- takes about 5 minutes total.

Since GOOG recommends FF I would prolly wager they recommend T'bird. Outlook is a pain in the arse. :thumdown:

RusH
02-15-08, 08:05 PM
Since GOOG recommends FF I would prolly wager they recommend T'bird. Outlook is a pain in the arse. :thumdown:

Or Windows Live Mail !!!

:D

I get to see how RASI has died :cry:

TravelGal
02-15-08, 09:53 PM
Now that I have figured out how to send OUT what I want out, I will give that a try Ed (and cameraman and JLM). I need a better way of getting IN what I need in. It has been on my "to-do list" for a couple of years but I didn't know how to approach it. I need a web-based solution to handle my business mail.

This is my "get organized or else" year. :D Last year was "travel everywhere in the world" year. You've given me the tools to get going on one of my main projects.