PDA

View Full Version : Howard wakes up!

Turn7
05-14-03, 07:52 AM
http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=026751

hdolan finally gets it. Although it took the ground falling out from under his feet as he walked over the cliff edge, he know realizes that he is a lemming in the midst of his free fall.

Here is a copy of this, I am sure it will be locked and nuked eventually.

"Here I am 54 years after seeing my first racing car at the Speedway, and I'm simply bored with what is going on at 16th and Georgetown. I've given my TMS tickets to my son, who is a great Truck fan, and I may not make the Fall race as well.
Some would suggest that I no longer post on Trackforum because of my heresy. However, it would seem that I'm not the only old line fan that has been turned off by the current goings on at what was once the motor racing Mecca of America, and possibly the world.

Perhaps 33 will start and perhaps they won't. The point is that it is unfathonable that the question would even come up. The fact that what was once America's greatest one day sporting event is now nothing more than a penis check between two Japanese engine builders and their clients is almost humorous.

It would seem that Tony George could care less one way or the other whether 0r not a field of 33 will start this Memorial Day weekend, yet, ticket sales are less than spectacular and old school fans like myself are no longer intrigued with ther command of "Gentlemen Start Your Engines."

Meanwhile, even during the accursed economic downturn, which has been blamed for many of The Speedway's ills, NASCAR continues to dominate the American racing scene. One can only wonder why that is.

The IRL has driven me away. I was a staunch supporter in the early days; a lemming. And here I am today, a victim of the inability of the IRL to correct the very problems that it said was the reason for it's existence.

For those who continue to carry water for Tony George and his minions I can only say, good luck. You are watching the death throes of a once proud American Tradition..."

Napoleon
05-14-03, 08:05 AM
This is a sure sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

sundaydriver
05-14-03, 09:40 AM
CART has road racing fans which has kept it alive. All Boy George has, is himself. Eventually the even the lemmings will start to bail and jump ship. When EVERYBODY has had enough, EVERYBODY should march down to the speedway and throw eggs at the Idiotgrandson until he says uncle.

pchall
05-14-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
This is a sure sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

Epoxy Lips Now

RaceChic
05-14-03, 10:22 AM
Looks like the topic just won't die...... They closed the last thread and so another one just gets started........ I'd like to see what happens on there after the 500 goes down....:rolleyes:

devilmaster
05-14-03, 11:43 AM
As much as I want to gloat, I can't.

Its not about CART and the IRL anymore. Its about what one man did to have power. In the process, he destroyed OW for all.

Thanks, idiotgrandson.

Steve

cart7
05-14-03, 12:20 PM
dolan's been shaking things up over there for more than a year now. It's hard to believe this guy was once a hard line lemming.

BTW, I see they've taken the board down now for repairs to some threads. :rolleyes:

SteveH
05-14-03, 12:37 PM
Howard's not alone. There have been several others that bought into the premise the irl was founded on that have jumped ship. I think we will see that evidence by the empty seats at Indy on race day. Then there the 'real race fans' that ignore the state of affairs at Indy and are overjoyed that its the fifth month of the year. And yet they call us ostrichs.

rabbit
05-14-03, 12:49 PM
:rofl: :cry:

pchall
05-14-03, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster

Its not about CART and the IRL anymore. Its about what one man did to have power. In the process, he destroyed OW for all.

Thanks, idiotgrandson.

Steve

Say this again, louder.

Lemmings and Hoosiers seem to be hearing impaired.

DaveL
05-14-03, 02:16 PM
To reiterate an oft repeated point: The difference between us CARTians and the ex-Lemmings is when we realized Idiotgrandson was lying to us.

devilmaster
05-14-03, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Say this again, louder.

Lemmings and Hoosiers seem to be hearing impaired.

I'll have laryngitis in no time..... :rolleyes: ;)

Steve

Railbird
05-14-03, 02:42 PM
Don't let Dolan fool you.

He'll be back, he couldn't possibly pass up a chance to irritate.

JSR
05-14-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

yep

RaceChic
05-14-03, 04:01 PM
It's a very good month of May indeed......:D :D :D

pchall
05-14-03, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

Is this why a lot of us think of him as Preparation Anti-H?

cart7
05-14-03, 07:10 PM
Ahh.. look, TF is back up after housekeeping. :rolleyes: Cut, snip, delete, cut, snip, delete. :rolleyes:

RTKar
05-14-03, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster

Thanks, idiotgrandson.

Steve

Steve, you are so right. Frankly CART doesn't have much to gloat about nor is it out of the woods and we aren't entirely certain of it's future. One common thread is the decline of open wheel racing, no matter what series you choose. Certainly TG is the main culprit but the powers that "have been" at CART, can share in some of that blame; squandering opportunities left and right and allienating mfg's. Money can buy cars,drivers and tracks but it can't buy fans and their loyalty. Two open wheel series based on this continent cannot last forever and I'm beginning to think that before open wheel racing can reach anything resembling what it once was, there is going to have to be one open wheel series. I can only hope that what I enjoyed for so long in CART, will win out in the end.

RaceGrrl
05-14-03, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Ahh.. look, TF is back up after housekeeping. :rolleyes: Cut, snip, delete, cut, snip, delete. :rolleyes:

Well that's one way to prevent lemmings breeding more lemmings. ;)

devilmaster
05-14-03, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Frankly CART doesn't have much to gloat about nor is it out of the woods and we aren't entirely certain of it's future. One common thread is the decline of open wheel racing, no matter what series you choose. Certainly TG is the main culprit but the powers that "have been" at CART, can share in some of that blame; squandering opportunities left and right and allienating mfg's.

But, IMO, I'd have a hard time saying that CART would be where it is on their decisions alone, if the split hadn't happened. They made dumb moves, yes. But those mistakes were magnified by the split.

But going back and playing 'what if' is pointless. Look at the cold hard facts. in 94-95, it might not have been perfect, but alot of races had great fans and tv ratings, we were holding our own as Indycar. TG starts his little war. Now I doubt, even under one banner, it can come back to what it used to be.

And TG took that from all of us fans.

Steve

Kate
05-14-03, 11:54 PM
There was a time when people were crying that Formula One was dying or perhaps was already dead because of the handbaggery that would become the FISA/FOCA Wars, and a lot of those people sounded just like y'all do.

And then came the greatest Formula One race that will ever be run, and modern day open wheel racing was born.

French GP
Dijon-Prenois
Jul 1, 1979

80 Laps, 3.8

With the two Swedish drivers in Formula 1 having died: Ronnie Peterson after an accident at Monza and Gunnar Nilsson a few weeks later from cancer, there was no money for a Swedish GP in 1979 and so there was a gap between Monaco at the end of May and the French GP at Dijon. The five-week break was used for testing and a lot of the cars were modified. Just after Monaco James Hunt announced that he was quitting F1 and so he was replaced by Keke Rosberg. Patrick Depailler blew all hopes he had of a successful season by breaking both his legs in a hang-gliding accident and so Ligier asked Jacky Ickx to take over its second car. Derek Daly also decided that he was wasting his time with Ensign and went back to Formula 2. Ensign tried to hire Tiff Needell but he was denied a superlicence and so the drive went to Patrick Gaillard. The entry also included Bruno Giacomelli in the Alfa Romeo, Arturo Merzario and Hector Rebaque.

Renault had made a big effort to be competitive in France and the result was that Jean-Pierre Jabouille and won pole with Rene Arnoux second fastest. Then came Gilles Villeneuve (Ferrari) and Nelson Piquet (Brabham). The third row featured World Championship leader Jody Scheckter (Ferrari) and Niki Lauda in the second Brabham while the top 10 was completed by Alan Jones (Williams), Jacques Laffite (Ligier), Clay Regazzoni (Williams) and Jean-Pierre Jarier (Tyrrell). With ATS withdrawing Hans Stuck because of a fight with Goodyear only Gaillard and Merzario failed to qualify.

In the race Villeneuve took the lead with Jabouille second, Scheckter third. Arnoux made a poor start and dropped to ninth. The early part of the race witnessed Arnoux climbing back through the field. By the 10th lap he was fourth and on lap 15 he took third place. At the front Villeneuve's Ferrari began to handle less well and on lap 47 Jabouille moved ahead as Villeneuve fell back towards Arnoux. Piquet blew his chances of a good position soon afterwards by spinning from fourth place (having overtaken Scheckter) and so the place went to Jones. In the closing laps Arnoux caught Villeneuve and on lap 78 he went ahead. On the next lap, the penultimate lap, Arnoux's engine began to splutter and Villeneuve was back ahead and for the last lap the pair indulged in a wild battle as they ducked and dived and banged wheels. At the last corner Arnoux drifted a little wide and Villeneuve was able to go down the inside and the two crossed the line just two-tenths of a second apart. Jones was fourth, Jarier fifth and Regazzoni sixth.

Renault's first victory and the first for a turbocharged engine marked an important turning point in F1 history. The turbocharged engine had become competitive.

There are no endings. There are only new beginnings.

Ed_Severson
05-15-03, 11:07 AM
Two days ago you said Formula 1 died in 1993.

Which is it?