PDA

View Full Version : the latest at this hour

Pages : 1 [2]

pchall
02-12-08, 10:37 PM
I've always suspected that personal vendettas between Internet narcissists was more important than the racing to about 90% of the people who post here: probably why KK decided he couldn't turn the business around by putting on better races.

Very true.

If GF is willing to dig into his pocket to pay for excellent racing, I don't give a **** whether he gives a hard card to Robin Miller or paper; their audience - and the amount they get paid to write about racing - is about the same size anyway.

:rofl: :rofl:

stroker
02-12-08, 10:41 PM
As will I.

Me three!

By the way, you know who we need involved in this?

Ross Perot.

"I'm in it."

"No, I'm not."

"I'm in it again."

He'd be perfect. And he's gots money.

racermike
02-12-08, 10:42 PM
I've spent plenty of money on tickets, trinkets, food, transport, lodging, etc. I probably have more "skin" in the game than Gentilozzi. And I bet you do too.

I think I may have too ..

I have traveled out of state for 61 races since 1993, flying to most of them on my own dime.

Do the math

Chitowncartfreak
02-12-08, 10:45 PM
I would like to throw in with you guys but if there's only 12-14 cars on the grid it's gonna be tough. In any case I will not be following (let alone a fan of) the hirl. :irked:

Yeah, 12-14 would be rough, but I would rather keep this thing going with a small field than let this sellout happen. The only way open wheel continues is to let the .1RL continue to erode to the point where their only option is to sit down at the table with ChampCar and discuss a true merger that makes sense for everyone and will grow the sport. If we cave in now and let the .1RL run open wheel racing on it's current trajectory, the whole damn thing will be gone in 5-10 years. I don't like small fields and I don't know the financials, but I believe a small ChampCar now will be better for everyone down the road.

Sean Malone
02-12-08, 10:52 PM
I've always suspected that personal vendettas between Internet narcissists was more important than the racing to about 90% of the people who post here: probably why KK decided he couldn't turn the business around by putting on better races.

Yeah, I'm sure that is what was driving KK's decisions. :shakehead

Easy
02-12-08, 10:58 PM
If Forsythe wants to continue this dick swinging contest with 12 cars (more like 8) I will go poop on his lawn, I'm not that far away. Calling it ChampCar doesn't make it ChampCar. At some point fans have to realize they aren't being considered in this.

I'm not emotionally investing myself in one Gazillionare over another for anything let alone what they told IndyCar fans what they stood for in the mid 90s which in reality was their own ego and pocketbook. None of these pricks would piss on any one of us if we were on fire so they can all eat my ass.

Sean Malone
02-12-08, 11:05 PM
If Forsythe wants to continue this dick swinging contest with 12 cars (more like 8) I will go poop on his lawn, I'm not that far away. Calling it ChampCar doesn't make it ChampCar. At some point fans have to realize they aren't being considered in this.

I'm not emotionally investing myself in one Gazillionare over another for anything let alone what they told IndyCar fans what they stood for in the mid 90s which in reality was their own ego and pocketbook. None of these pricks would piss on any one of us if we were on fire so they can all eat my ass.

What he said. :thumbup:

nrc
02-12-08, 11:09 PM
I'm waiting to see about the beach volleyball.

rocket

:rofl:
Ditto:thumbup:

Spicoli
needs more bacon.

miatanut
Well, I don't know what the hell is going on, but compared to complete capitulation, if Jerry wants to make a go of it, I will be there as a fan. :cool:

Seriously?

At some point, it just becomes revolting to watch. Seventeen cars was tough to take, but what if it's 12? What if it's 9? Spec cars that nobody can do anything with. Several drivers I've never heard of even though I'm a racing fan.

At this point, it's really just desecrating the dead body of CART.

Sean Malone
02-12-08, 11:15 PM
If today proved anything, it's that non of us know what's really going on.

Sorry spicoli. :(

The whole merger thing could pop back up tomorrow or Gerry could announce that he's filling the field with fans. At this point...I'd believe anything.

Spicoli
02-12-08, 11:20 PM
If today proved anything, it's that non of us know what's really going on.

Sorry spicoli. :(

The whole merger thing could pop back up tomorrow or Gerry could announce that he's filling the field with fans. At this point...I'd believe anything.

Do you really think I could make this **** up? :rofl:

You think w're spinnin in teh head, try working at pkv, or ccws.

nhl and walker are gone too. everyone else is on welfare.

sucks to be eric b. right now, huh?:shakehead

Sean Malone
02-12-08, 11:23 PM
sucks to be eric b. right now, huh?:shakehead

Is he richer than me?

:confused:

Chitowncartfreak
02-12-08, 11:26 PM
Yeah, 12-14 would be rough, but I would rather keep this thing going with a small field than let this sellout happen. The only way open wheel continues is to let the .1RL continue to erode to the point where their only option is to sit down at the table with ChampCar and discuss a true merger that makes sense for everyone and will grow the sport. If we cave in now and let the .1RL run open wheel racing on it's current trajectory, the whole damn thing will be gone in 5-10 years. I don't like small fields and I don't know the financials, but I believe a small ChampCar now will be better for everyone down the road.

Of course, having said all of this, I think the best thing would be for everyone to admit that trying to force this thing together in 2008 is too chaotic, sit down at the same table, and work out the best situation for everyone in 2009. Right now, all the chaos seems to be scaring all the ChampCar teams off and that doesn't work. I don't want to see a buyout, but a merger definitely makes the most sense - but only in a win-win scenario.

Indy
02-12-08, 11:30 PM
We are facing certain death or possible life. The "merger" KK has hatched is completely unpalatable. Maybe this is just a stall tactic. But maybe Forsythe's Champ Car will be great -- we can't possible know right now.

I vote for UJWS (Unka Jerry World Series)! :thumbup:

Chitowncartfreak
02-12-08, 11:33 PM
Just whatever happens, please get on the phone with all the teams first thing Wednesday and let them know what the plan is. Sounds like most of them, notably Walker, are totally flying blind and need to know ASAP what they'll be doing in 2008.

pchall
02-12-08, 11:33 PM
We are facing certain death or possible life. The "merger" KK has hatched is completely unpalatable. Maybe this is just a stall tactic. But maybe Forsythe's Champ Car will be great -- we can't possible know right now.

I vote for UJWS (Unka Jerry World Series)! :thumbup:

I'm with you.

miatanut
02-12-08, 11:42 PM
Auto racing's version of Barbaro.

rabbit
02-12-08, 11:48 PM
Calling it ChampCar doesn't make it ChampCar. At some point fans have to realize they aren't being considered in this.

:thumbup:

nrc
02-13-08, 12:02 AM
Just whatever happens, please get on the phone with all the teams first thing Wednesday and let them know what the plan is. Sounds like most of them, notably Walker, are totally flying blind and need to know ASAP what they'll be doing in 2008.

Or pull a Robin Miller and just make some stuff up and call to get some juicey quotes. What if KK's irritation over the leak was not because he had to make it palatable for TG but because he needed to be able to sell it to GF?

Cam B.
02-13-08, 12:10 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:

Cam B.

SteveH
02-13-08, 12:37 AM
Champ Car finally has a series sponsor - INDECK

Hope you like cars in varying shades of blue and white.

But I'm in, what the hell, why not? No one will expect ANYTHING from CC everyone will expect EVERYTHING from the IRL now that nearly all of the CART teams are there. I suspect there's more going on, though. 24 hours ago none of us would have imagined this outcome. The next few days should be interesting.

Dirk Diggler
02-13-08, 12:40 AM
...undead Champ Car lives?

Zombie Car!!! Fuggin' brilliant!!!:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
02-13-08, 01:03 AM
I'd wathc six cars from Coyne and Forstyhe before I'd buy a ticket to any mergification ******** series.. Maybe this will work...:thumbup:

miatanut
02-13-08, 01:07 AM
I'd wathc six cars from Coyne and Forstyhe before I'd buy a ticket to any mergification ******** series.

Sure, but nothing at all is a lot better than the torture of seeing six cars on track.

greenie
02-13-08, 01:28 AM
Or pull a Robin Miller and just make some stuff up and call to get some juicey quotes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Surely you can prove that's ever happened.

The blame RM mentality is something I'll never understand.

SteveH
02-13-08, 01:29 AM
Sure, but nothing at all is a lot better than the torture of seeing six cars on track.

I saw a Formula 1 race like that once.

Different kind of torture, though.

jcollins28
02-13-08, 01:49 AM
Q: If the **** is really hitting the fan why was one of 4 in Hawaii playing golf today?

cameraman
02-13-08, 01:52 AM
Is he richer than me?

:confused:

Well it seems he just spent a million or so on Panoz cars & parts so maybe not anymore...

JT265
02-13-08, 01:56 AM
Well it seems he just spent a million or so on Panoz cars & parts so maybe not anymore...

After phoning in $$$ last year? Seems a fair trade in retrospect.

Dr. Corkski
02-13-08, 02:10 AM

I'm not emotionally investing myself in one Gazillionare over another for anything let alone what they told IndyCar fans what they stood for in the mid 90s which in reality was their own ego and pocketbook. None of these pricks would piss on any one of us if we were on fire so they can all eat my ass.:rofl:

So...

Gesus Forsythe, can't find a major sponsor for his team since Player's announced they were pulling out 10 years ago, can't be bothered to show up to run his champ car team last year, along with the guy who killed off Trans-Am, are now the saviors of champ car.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

nrc
02-13-08, 02:14 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Surely you can prove that's ever happened.

The blame RM mentality is something I'll never understand.

Of course not. Robin Miller is a bastion of journalistic integrity. :rolleyes:

I don't blame him for anything but what he's done, which is complain for 13 years about people not willing to do the right thing for the sport and then failing to take his own advice.

greenie
02-13-08, 02:16 AM
Q: If the **** is really hitting the fan why was one of 4 in Hawaii playing golf today?

That solves it - all's well. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

greenie
02-13-08, 02:23 AM
Of course not. Robin Miller is a bastion of journalistic integrity. :rolleyes:

Well you alleged he makes up situations to grab juicy quotes under false pretenses from playas in the situation - I asked you for evidence of that and I'm respectfully still waiting. I predict you'll have none.

I don't blame him for anything but what he's done, which is complain for 13 years about people not willing to do the right thing for the sport and then failing to take his own advice.

First off, he's railed against Tony George and the IRL unrelentingly for 13 years.

Second, he's a journalist and it's not his purview to do the "right thing" for the sport.

Third, IMO, he's right.

It's a pity that Champ Car is probably toast, but the whole series has devolved into a big nothing with cool cars and some decent venues. The TV sked was the last straw for me - it's an unfollowable "series" and that's that.

Very sad, but that's life.

jcollins28
02-13-08, 03:00 AM
That solves it - all's well. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:shakehead

Spicoli
02-13-08, 08:22 AM
KK heads to madagascar this weekend for 2 weeks.

Methanolandbrats
02-13-08, 08:38 AM
COol, you're like the E News of Motorsport. :) Comment on his wardrobe, where he will be staying, any companions?

JT265
02-13-08, 08:45 AM

With Silva? :saywhat: :p

KaBoom21
02-13-08, 09:02 AM

I always tried holing up there when I played Risk. That strategy never worked.

chop456
02-13-08, 09:08 AM
I hope this isn't what drives Britney over the edge.

robot9000
02-13-08, 09:19 AM

So...

Gesus Forsythe, can't find a major sponsor for his team since Player's announced they were pulling out 10 years ago, can't be bothered to show up to run his champ car team last year, along with the guy who killed off Trans-Am, are now the saviors of champ car.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

We have a winner !!!

Elmo T
02-13-08, 09:25 AM
I hope this isn't what drives Britney over the edge.

Britney laughs at open wheel racing because the folks running it are obviously a little unstable.

I have my tin foil hat and a bucket of popcorn ready for the new day... ;)

cart7
02-13-08, 09:53 AM
Would this make a great reality show or what?

A cross between survivor and Dynasty. :thumbup:

Indy
02-13-08, 09:55 AM
America's Dumbest Billionaires

dando
02-13-08, 10:01 AM
DP chines in:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/phillips-a-ripple-becomes-a-tsunami/

Apparently the POS redesigned site is having issues, so it's been hit-or-miss this AM trying to read anything on Speed. :irked:

-Kevin

extramundane
02-13-08, 10:02 AM
If the choice is between the current IRL with an added handful of CC teams and a Forsythe/Pettit/Poledance 12-13 car CCWS, then I see myself having more free time to work on the house this year.

That it's come to this is sad indeed. Eff you, Tony. With a cactus.

dando
02-13-08, 10:03 AM
I'd wathc six cars from Coyne and Forstyhe before I'd buy a ticket to any mergification ******** series.. Maybe this will work...:thumbup:

Mebbe we can call it the US Grand Prix Series. :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-13-08, 10:12 AM
Can I stop hitting F5 now?

nrc
02-13-08, 10:20 AM
Well you alleged he makes up situations to grab juicy quotes under false pretenses from playas in the situation - I asked you for evidence of that and I'm respectfully still waiting. I predict you'll have none.
I'll tell you what. Go get proof from Robin Miller for every smart alec, sarcastic remark he's ever made and then I'll dig into it for you. Of course I don't have proof. It was a joke.

"Alleged?" Saying that he makes things up is a little thing called, "exaggeration for comic effect." I hear it's all the rage with the funny people these days. You should check it out on the you tubes.

You seem to think that the fact that I would dare to mock Robin Miller means I'm denying something he's said about the state of Champ car. I'm not. But the only thing funnier than the "blame Robin" mentality is the notion that he's somehow above all this. He's making a buck like the rest of them.

nrc
02-13-08, 10:21 AM
DP chines in:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/phillips-a-ripple-becomes-a-tsunami/

Apparently the POS redesigned site is having issues, so it's been hit-or-miss this AM trying to read anything on Speed. :irked:

-Kevin

Error Message

This site is currently unavailable FAIL

ferrarigod
02-13-08, 10:32 AM
i don't understand how gerry goes from not wanting to give PT a contract, to only fielding 1 car rumors to owning the whole damn thing.

schizo much?

Spicoli
02-13-08, 10:35 AM
Can I stop hitting F5 now?

http://i26.tinypic.com/257ejib.jpg

w000t!

rosawendel
02-13-08, 10:41 AM
FAIL

agreed.

"you can click for your article here, here, or here. but not yet, because it's still loading, and we have to interrupt the pageload with an ad telling you that it's a new site. cool, huh?"

dando
02-13-08, 10:58 AM
FAIL

Yes, it does. speedtv.com sux. :thumdown: I actually couldn't read RM's article yestrday AM using FF with ABP installed. I had to launch IE and read it there. :irked:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-13-08, 11:08 AM
Not being able to read Robin Miller on SpeedTV.com is almost as big a loss as the writer's strike was.

Easy
02-13-08, 12:32 PM
Sonny's BBQ presents the Formula Jerry World Series powered by Indeck.

They can make it a full arrive and drive set-up like Barber Dodge was. That way all the cars are equal(ish) too so its all about check wr.. I mean driving skill.

Of course Paul Tracy would crash out of most races with a 12 lap lead and manage to hand the title to the very consistent Bob Siska, greatly improving Dan Selznik or up and comer Fast Frankie Muniz.

JLMannin
02-13-08, 12:45 PM
Sonny's BBQ presents the Formula Jerry World Series powered by Indeck.

They can make it a full arrive and drive set-up like Barber Dodge was. That way all the cars are equal(ish) too so its all about check wr.. I mean driving skill.

Of course Paul Tracy would crash out of most races with a 12 lap lead and manage to hand the title to the very consistent Bob Siska, greatly improving Dan Selznik or up and comer Fast Frankie Muniz.

Maybe we can get up to 18 cars by using sprint cars to fill out the grid.

dando
02-13-08, 01:46 PM
Oreo's latest:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=3242608

"We've been told [bankruptcy] was not happening and to prepare for a 2008 season as Champ Car," revealed a Champ Car marketing department source. "Until we hear otherwise, our teams are moving forward to compete in Champ Car and are preparing for Spring Training [media and test days set for March 12-15 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca]."

This is almost surreal it's so insane. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-13-08, 02:14 PM
Oreo's latest:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=1&columnist=oreovicz_john&id=3242608

This is almost surreal it's so insane. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I have this image in my head of Spring Training with both Indek cars and Forsyth looking around asking where all the teams are and where the media is. Someone points to the buffet line where Robin Miller is piling a plate about a foot high and asking if there's any more sliced ham.

Racing Truth
02-13-08, 03:48 PM

:thumbup: Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

RHR_Fan
02-13-08, 04:18 PM
A few weeks ago I said I was in it until the end, but now I barely even care anymore. What's the point of having 3-4 teams with 8'ish cars? S*** or get off the pot. Doesn't baseball season start soon? And March Madness is coming soon...

~Nicole

Audi_A4
02-13-08, 04:51 PM
Kill Champcar and just be done with it already.

rabbit
02-13-08, 05:20 PM
He's making a buck like the rest of them.Ha! You've obviously never seen a journalist's pay stub. :cry:

nrc
02-13-08, 05:41 PM
Ha! You've obviously never seen a journalist's pay stub. :cry:

I did say a buck. ;)

Spicoli
02-13-08, 07:06 PM
Results from the BOD phone meeting today:

: paraphrased:

"Dear valued CCWS employee, balh blah blah KK, GF, PG DP didn't tell me anything.......thank you for your patience during this important chapter in ChampCar history. We have outlined the important ingredients needed to go forward with the 08 season. The board is reviewing the budget and we will get back to you in the near future."

Love:

Steve.

Can you believe these people? :yuck:

Don Quixote
02-13-08, 07:36 PM
Where do I sign up and buy stock! 2008 is going to be great!!! :thumbup:

CQ
02-13-08, 07:40 PM

Jim Wilke has some he'll unload cheep.

:gomer:

Racing Truth
02-13-08, 07:51 PM
Results from the BOD phone meeting today:

: paraphrased:

"Dear valued CCWS employee, balh blah blah KK, GF, PG DP didn't tell me anything.......thank you for your patience during this important chapter in ChampCar history. We have outlined the important ingredients needed to go forward with the 08 season. The board is reviewing the budget and we will get back to you in the near future."

Love:

Steve.

Can you believe these people? :yuck:

Translation: I have no clue WTF is going on and, oh yeah, neither do my bosses!:gomer:

Insomniac
02-13-08, 09:34 PM

I wish I knew about all this ineptitude in the 1990s. Could've shorted MPH and retired.

Easy
02-13-08, 09:54 PM
I wish I knew about all this ineptitude in the 1990s. Could've shorted MPH and retired.

I semi regret not shorting when Jer Bear was buying MPH like a pit trader for Duke and Duke. That didn't even require a crystal ball.

Of course, I didn't have any leverage or a job so it doesn't really matter.

pchall
02-13-08, 10:17 PM
Ha! You've obviously never seen a journalist's pay stub. :cry:

Did they pay you in beans at the Snews?

RusH
02-13-08, 10:17 PM
http://www.walkerracing.com/media/display.php?id=412&lang=en

DW is staying or merging, but not leaving

rabbit
02-13-08, 10:28 PM
I did say a buck. ;)
:D

SteveH
02-13-08, 10:34 PM
http://www.walkerracing.com/media/display.php?id=412&lang=en

DW is staying or merging, but not leaving

so, he's available to the highest bidder?

Dr. Corkski
02-13-08, 10:37 PM
This saga is not going to be complete until Andy Evans promises to show up with a 7-car Champ Car Team Scandia.

Indy
02-13-08, 11:35 PM
You know when someone mentions Team Scandia that the end is near.

jcollins28
02-13-08, 11:37 PM
Anyone else here any of this?

*KK gets Pi, Long Beach, Surfers and Edmonton to take with him to the IRL

*GF gets Toronto, Mexico City and Cosworth as well as CCWS

Spicoli
02-13-08, 11:44 PM

Where was this?

Wally
02-13-08, 11:47 PM
.....:confused: ....

SteveH
02-13-08, 11:48 PM

The KK/LB rumor was floated on AR1 tonight. I sure hope not.

Indy
02-13-08, 11:52 PM
jcollins, that was reported in a blog as speculation by a CC insider.

jcollins28
02-13-08, 11:56 PM
jcollins, that was reported in a blog as speculation by a CC insider.

Is this making the rounds though as a hot rumor? Seems like giving up Long Beach would be a bit steep don't you think?

dando
02-13-08, 11:58 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0212/rpm_george_kalkhoven_412.jpg

Can we get a new Smilie? :tony:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-14-08, 12:18 AM

-Kevin

:thumbup: :)

Chitowncartfreak
02-14-08, 01:30 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0212/rpm_george_kalkhoven_412.jpg

-Kevin

Someone needs to fire up the Photoshop and combine these pics!

Chitowncartfreak
02-14-08, 01:35 AM
Is this making the rounds though as a hot rumor? Seems like giving up Long Beach would be a bit steep don't you think?

I think we're going to hear every rumor possible before this is all over.

SurfaceUnits
02-14-08, 01:40 AM
Jim Wilke has some he'll unload cheep.

:gomer:
wilke is still trying to collect on that j bs unaphase stock he is holding...:laugh:

TravelGal
02-14-08, 02:18 AM

Especially if it's supposed to be balanced against Mexico City. :p

SurfaceUnits
02-14-08, 02:40 AM
Autoracing1.com is saying Montegi will still go on as scheduled and the EARL will NOT be racing at Long Beach. As the world turns...

cadaver says nashville in jeopardy for the farting bees

pchall
02-14-08, 08:55 AM
cadaver says nashville in jeopardy for the farting bees

Supposedly there's no signed contract for 2008 for the race in Nashville. An excellent opportunity for the promoter to bail on that show. Of course, nobody is going to miss the 60K "sellouts" announced at a track with only 25k in seating, 5k of which are closed off for the IRL event. If it wasn't for Firestone handing out freebies to their employees at the Lavergne plant there would be no one there at all.