PDA

View Full Version : AutoWeek - New Rumors

Sean Malone
02-11-08, 05:57 PM
Hitting F5 all day came up with a new report from AutoWeek with some interesting rumors.

Points of agreement include 50/50 ownership of the merged series, which will be independent of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with George and Kalkhoven acting as co-chairmen. Both Honda (IRL) and Cosworth (Champ Car), with or without Ford badging, are in. Bridgestone is in as tire supplier, though it's not certain whether that would be with the Bridgestone or Firestone brand. There may already be agreement on more specific points, but those who know are unwilling to share that information for fear of scuttling the process or enflaming the sensitivities of self-interested parties in both camps before the deal is done.

Based on the current state of affairs, several other things are apparent. The more traditional 2.65-liter turbo V8 currently used in Champ Car seems the more likely choice, as opposed to the IRL's normally aspirated 3.5. Champ Car has a new chassis well into development with Panoz (one of the IRL's current suppliers), scheduled to debut in 2007

link (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoweek.com%2Fapps%2Fpbcs.dl l%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20060221%2FFREE%2F60221006% 2F1001&ei=g8OwR-vSGoiqhATvv4gc&usg=AFQjCNHAsN70nji7IZiJk0dwe1jUWmyNFQ&sig2=RjsAusfFw5wUMdnz0ZFnVg)

G.
02-11-08, 06:00 PM
This article was last updated on: 02/21/06, 10:45 et

Need to change your title.

extramundane
02-11-08, 06:01 PM
nm

Ankf00
02-11-08, 06:03 PM
:laugh:

Spicoli
02-11-08, 06:07 PM
All-sum!

:gomer:

nrc
02-11-08, 06:51 PM
Dude.

KLang
02-11-08, 06:52 PM
Perhaps you need to get your F5 button looked at? :D

Insomniac
02-11-08, 06:53 PM
This is almost certainly the one. More than a decade after Tony George cut ties with CART and launched the Indy Racing League, after years of declining popularity and failed efforts to end the rift in Indy-style racing, all indicators suggest there is essential agreement to merge the IRL and Champ Car World Series for the 2007 season.

:rofl:

dando
02-11-08, 06:55 PM
This article was last updated on: 02/21/06, 10:45 et

:gomer:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-08, 07:16 PM
I wonder what racer2c would have to say about this if he was still around.

Methanolandbrats
02-11-08, 07:21 PM
Now you fauckers have gone and ruined the mergification by leaking it on an innerweb forum :mad:

Boatdesigner
02-11-08, 07:27 PM
Shame, I could actually get behind that series!:shakehead

Gnam
02-11-08, 07:28 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4240/ageniuscd6xp6.jpg

Andrew Longman
02-11-08, 07:44 PM
Points of agreement include 50/50 ownership of the merged series, which will be independent of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, with George and Kalkhoven acting as co-chairmen. Both Honda (IRL) and Cosworth (Champ Car), with or without Ford badging, are in. Bridgestone is in as tire supplier, though it's not certain whether that would be with the Bridgestone or Firestone brand. There may already be agreement on more specific points, but those who know are unwilling to share that information for fear of scuttling the process or enflaming the sensitivities of self-interested parties in both camps before the deal is done.

Based on the current state of affairs, several other things are apparent. The more traditional 2.65-liter turbo V8 currently used in Champ Car seems the more likely choice, as opposed to the IRL's normally aspirated 3.5. Champ Car has a new chassis well into development with Panoz (one of the IRL's current suppliers), scheduled to debut in 2007

But consider this. TG walked away from this agreement saying "It wasn't necessary". No it wasn't. He could almost certainly outlast CC. But what a difference there is between "not necessary" and "best interest of self and others"

Had he done this deal he wouldn't be buying chassis, engines and promising $1.2 million per car $28.8MM total), and he wouldn't be promising reverse sanction fees for LB, Oz and Edmonton. 07 wouldn't have been another lost season. Maybe even Dario and Sam (and Bourdais) would still be in the series.

Indeed, if his higher bid for CART had also included a promise to at least for one year keeping it going until the series could be rationally combined, he would have spent far less and achieved far more.

But No.

Indy
02-11-08, 08:08 PM
AL, if he hadn't split the damned sport in the first place, he would be tens or perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars better off. If he had rejected the taxicabs and the bernieslime and just helped to build his own race and the series that ran it, he and and everyone associated with it would be much richer and better off.

Now 33 is just a number and 3 is an icon.

Oops!

Andrew Longman
02-11-08, 08:20 PM
AL, if he hadn't split the damned sport in the first place, he would be tens or perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars better off. If he had rejected the taxicabs and the bernieslime and just helped to build his own race and the series that ran it, he and and everyone associated with it would be much richer and better off.

Now 33 is just a number and 3 is an icon.

Oops!

True.

Having made one huge f up, I was just pointing out a few of many opportunities to make the most of a bad decision.

He seems to consistently make the worst of all choices, motivated only by a fierce interest in keeping even the tiniest threat to the I500 at bay

Sean Malone
02-11-08, 08:42 PM
So is there a merger yet or what?

dando
02-11-08, 08:52 PM
So is there a merger yet or what?

Call RM and find out. :gomer: I think we're presently waiting to see which color of smoke exits the chimney. :irked:

-Kevin

Sean Malone
02-11-08, 08:53 PM
Call RM and find out. :gomer: I think we're presently waiting to see which color of smoke exits the chimney. :irked:

-Kevin

I'll go dig up some more old articles. :D

dando
02-11-08, 09:09 PM

Go dig up Marxie's circa '99 prediction of where C^RT would be today. :D :saywhat:

-Kevin

cart7
02-11-08, 09:35 PM

Keep hitting the f5 button. I'd like to find out the inside on that Eve gal tempting Adam with that apple. :gomer:

stroker
02-11-08, 09:58 PM

-Kevin

I don't care who you are, that's damned funny!

greenie
02-11-08, 10:23 PM

So if Robin Miller is correct, and Gentilozzi essentially derailed this earlier deal with his big sloppy mouth, aren't he and his lemming group of apologists the real jackasses in this current mess? When Champ Car folds, IMO there's no way there will be anything resembling that ownership structure in the new absorbed amalgamation that is the Indy Racing League. Turbos are obviously out w/o a new formula, as is the future of racing, the DP-01. Not to mention 3/4 of the venues. :gomer:

Well played. :shakehead

Indy
02-11-08, 10:48 PM
Yeah, greenie, you could say that, but if Robin is siding with KK in this deal, perhaps he keeps bringing up the Gentilozzi thing to keep people from thinking KK is a thief. I think the safest thing you can assume here is that there is plenty of blame to go around.

Bottom line: rich ******* swinging dicks having a sword fight = hundreds of lives disrupted and a whole racing series gone. Way to go, captains of industry! :thumbup:

Sean Malone
02-11-08, 11:04 PM
Yeah, greenie, you could say that, but if Robin is siding with KK in this deal, perhaps he keeps bringing up the Gentilozzi thing to keep people from thinking KK is a thief. I think the safest thing you can assume here is that there is plenty of blame to go around.

Bottom line: rich ******* swinging dicks having a sword fight = hundreds of lives disrupted and a whole racing series gone. Way to go, captains of industry! :thumbup:

I was laid off once. They don't care. Trust me.

Rus'L
02-12-08, 09:01 AM
But consider this. TG walked away from this agreement saying "It wasn't necessary". No it wasn't. He could almost certainly outlast CC. But what a difference there is between "not necessary" and "best interest of self and others"

Had he done this deal he wouldn't be buying chassis, engines and promising $1.2 million per car $28.8MM total), and he wouldn't be promising reverse sanction fees for LB, Oz and Edmonton. 07 wouldn't have been another lost season. Maybe even Dario and Sam (and Bourdais) would still be in the series.

Indeed, if his higher bid for CART had also included a promise to at least for one year keeping it going until the series could be rationally combined, he would have spent far less and achieved far more.

But No.

Haven't we learned anything by now?

It was never about what was good or proper or right when it came to FTG.

It was all about power and greed and ego. Always was. Always has been. Always will be.

Insomniac
02-12-08, 09:34 AM

But No.

And given 50% ownership over. Now he won't be giving any ownership over (presumably).

Insomniac
02-12-08, 09:43 AM
So if Robin Miller is correct, and Gentilozzi essentially derailed this earlier deal with his big sloppy mouth, aren't he and his lemming group of apologists the real jackasses in this current mess? When Champ Car folds, IMO there's no way there will be anything resembling that ownership structure in the new absorbed amalgamation that is the Indy Racing League. Turbos are obviously out w/o a new formula, as is the future of racing, the DP-01. Not to mention 3/4 of the venues. :gomer:

I'd think the guys who control 90% of CC and allowed him to run amok seem like bigger jackasses.

Racing Truth
02-13-08, 04:46 PM

Bump, 'cuz it needs to be said.

Sean Malone
02-13-08, 04:52 PM
Bump, 'cuz it needs to be said.

That's too depressing. Let's hypothesize about possible title sponsors!:D

beaner
02-13-08, 06:12 PM
That's too depressing. Let's hypothesize about possible title sponsors!:D

I heard AOL wants on board.

Indy
02-13-08, 06:12 PM
Miller hates Gentilozzi and will say anything to defame him.

If the current deal KK is chasing is the sort of thing that Gentilozzi derailed, then you can thank him for not seeing Champ Car become extinct earlier.

Spicoli
02-13-08, 06:26 PM
I heard AOL wants on board.

IKEA - it fits the new demographic. Urban. Broke. Dumber than ****. And cheap.

oddlycalm
02-13-08, 07:00 PM
That's too depressing. Let's hypothesize about possible title sponsors!:D I've been holding out for Anusol since 1996. The IMS becomes the Anusol Ring Of Fire and signature tune "Ring Of Fire" by Johnny Cash is the background music for all events. Buy a tenderloin a pack of complimentary suppositories. It's the marketing match from hell.

oc

Methanolandbrats
02-13-08, 07:07 PM
AstroGlide seems appropriate.

extramundane
02-13-08, 07:21 PM
Miller hates Gentilozzi and will say anything to defame him.

Some material writes itself.

:motorock:

Racing Truth
02-13-08, 08:08 PM
Some material writes itself.

:motorock:

pwnage.