PDA

View Full Version : Canadian GP Recommendations

mueber
02-11-08, 08:44 AM
At this point I am contemplating driving to Montreal from Fort Wayne for the Grand Prix. I’ve never been there before, so I’m looking for recommendations. Does anyone have any recommendation regarding hotels? For example, can I stay at an outlying hotel and take mass transit to the track? I found the following on the www.grandprixcities.com website. Anyone know anything about this?

Alternative Montreal places to stay include: The student residences at McGill University. These are available to the general public and single rooms cost around $70 CAD per night. McGill is right downtown Montreal. There are two residences to choose from: Bishop Mountain Hall and Royal Victoria College. If you stay at BMH, your cash also includes breakfast in the cafeteria, which is always full of fans decked out in race gear. The only drawback to BMH is that it is a fair hike up the hill. Royal Victoria College is at the bottom of the hill, but does not.

Thanks in advance.

Cam
02-11-08, 08:47 AM
Not been there but have heard that McGill is the way to go as far as beddy byes.

Lux Interior
03-01-08, 11:47 AM
I've thought of going too. I have friends in Montreal who can get tickets, but they are pricey since they said you need to go through a broker.

Also, I think you need a passport to go Canada now.

Still, I've been to every USGP at the Brickyard since 2001 or 2002, and I'm bummed about not being able to see the F1 cars this year. :cry:

devilmaster
03-01-08, 12:32 PM
Also, I think you need a passport to go Canada now.

Passports are not required for car crossings at this time. Should take effect sometime in late 2008/early 2009.

Passports are required for plane crossings or water crossings.

and my little pet peeve - the only reason passports will be required is US homeland security. Canada wasn't going to change on their stance for what is needed to cross.

Rogue Leader
03-01-08, 01:19 PM
At this point I am contemplating driving to Montreal from Fort Wayne for the Grand Prix. I’ve never been there before, so I’m looking for recommendations. Does anyone have any recommendation regarding hotels? For example, can I stay at an outlying hotel and take mass transit to the track? I found the following on the www.grandprixcities.com website. Anyone know anything about this?

Alternative Montreal places to stay include: The student residences at McGill University. These are available to the general public and single rooms cost around $70 CAD per night. McGill is right downtown Montreal. There are two residences to choose from: Bishop Mountain Hall and Royal Victoria College. If you stay at BMH, your cash also includes breakfast in the cafeteria, which is always full of fans decked out in race gear. The only drawback to BMH is that it is a fair hike up the hill. Royal Victoria College is at the bottom of the hill, but does not.

Thanks in advance.

If you can afford to stay near the Track in the heart of the city you will definitely have a better time. I went to the Molson Indy in 04 and wish I spent a few hundred extra to avoid the 45 minute packed Metro ride back to the hotel. Plus theres all kinds of stuff going on the whole weekend.

That Student Residence idea sounds great, sounds like its in the middle of the action as well.

mueber
03-01-08, 02:58 PM
As an update I managed to get in touch with McGill Univeristy, and it's true. A minimum two night stay is required and the fee I paid was $135.44 Canadian for the two nights.

Anyone who is interested might email my new best friend in Canada Heather Cherrier of Reserve Residences at reserve.residences@mcgill.ca. I understand there are three dorm buildings they rent during the weekend and one of them is already full as of about a week ago.

gjc2
03-02-08, 09:50 PM
It's been many years, but there was a hotel (Holiday Inn I think) in Longueuil which is just across the river from Montreal and has a subway stop. The first stop is Ile Ste. Helene, from there you walk across a bridge to Ile Notre Dame.

Ankf00
03-02-08, 10:11 PM
you're going to have a ****ing blast, plus the european footie championships will be going on and all the wc/euro partying makes it that much more fun.

Dirty Sanchez
03-11-08, 12:39 PM
I've thought of going too. I have friends in Montreal who can get tickets, but they are pricey since they said you need to go through a broker.not true. you can buy them direct from the circuit. they have a website.

I'm staying in a boutique hotel in the latin quarter... as per usual.

and... st. laurent>cresent st.