PDA

View Full Version : Place Your Bets: Motegi --> Yea...Nea / Smoke and Mirrors

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 11:13 PM
No, not a race date change...

Personally I think this is a smoke and mirrors on Tony's part. It just so happens to leak that he is leaving Monday for Japan to ask Motegi to move their race date the day that Millers story breaks about more merger talks? Weird.

I don't think he's going there to talk about the race date at all. He could do that from the states. No, this is bigger than a race date move, it's about engines. Honda engines and sponsorship i.e. propping up the IRL. And the verdict will decide the fate of this 'merger'. If Honda agrees to stick around, Tony announces they can't change the Motegi date because of *insert bogus excuse* and the merger is dead. If Honda says no, we want out...race date changed...merger on...Cosworth engines for '10.

Either way, Tony is painted as the great white knight because he actually flew to Japan to try to beg and plead for this in the name of a single series. If they change it, he's a hero, if they don't the media (and the IRL fans) will claim it wasn't Tony's fault because he did all he could do (Barnfart mentioned today that he's never seen Tony work harder on the merger than in the past "couple three weeks).

I don't buy it. Honda has more of a role in this than any of the US media mentions and Tony's trip is more than begging for a race date change. IMO. It's about seeing where they stand past '09.

trish
02-08-08, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry, what was the question?

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry, what was the question?

Do you like bacon?

trish
02-08-08, 11:39 PM
Yes, but not Canadian bacon. It's really ham.

RusH
02-08-08, 11:44 PM
Tony just wants to GTFO of Indy this weekend....happy?:gomer:

Indy
02-08-08, 11:54 PM
But ham is good, too.

And does anyone else think Tony has been summoned to face his leaders?

trish
02-08-08, 11:59 PM
Don't they have Honda engines through 2009?

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 11:59 PM
But ham is good, too.

And does anyone else think Tony has been summoned to face his leaders?
He will have to smoke Japanese Meat.

Gnam
02-09-08, 02:08 AM
Either way, Tony is painted as the great white knight because he actually flew to Japan to try to beg and plead for this in the name of a single series. If they change it, he's a hero, if they don't the media (and the IRL fans) will claim it wasn't Tony's fault because he did all he could do (Barnfart mentioned today that he's never seen Tony work harder on the merger than in the past "couple three weeks).

Fine... but whether FTG is serious or not, KK & the gang appear to be hoping for a merger. Hell, they practically shushed everyone "cause Tony's thinkin' real hard." :tony:

emjaya
02-09-08, 05:52 AM

Personally I think this is a smoke and mirrors on Tony's part. It just so happens to leak that he is leaving Monday for Japan to ask Motegi to move their race date the day that Millers story breaks about more merger talks? Weird.

I don't think he's going there to talk about the race date at all. He could do that from the states. No, this is bigger than a race date move, it's about engines. Honda engines and sponsorship i.e. propping up the IRL. And the verdict will decide the fate of this 'merger'. If Honda agrees to stick around, Tony announces they can't change the Motegi date because of *insert bogus excuse* and the merger is dead. If Honda says no, we want out...race date changed...merger on...Cosworth engines for '10.

I don't buy it. Honda has more of a role in this than any of the US media mentions and Tony's trip is more than begging for a race date change. IMO. It's about seeing where they stand past '09.

I agree.

Insomniac
02-09-08, 09:44 AM
Don't they have Honda engines through 2009?

I think it's 2008 with a Honda option for 2009.

Andrew Longman
02-09-08, 10:07 AM
I think it's 2008 with a Honda option for 2009.

That's what I've read too.

The question I have is if adding LB was part of the offer in November and the Motegi date is an obstacle, why wasn't TG on a plane last Fall? It would seem he suddenly has a greater interest in "pulling this across the finish line"

But yes it is also about engines and continued support from Honda. Honda will have absolutely no interest in moving the Motegi race unless they also see a reason to continue to participate with the league. Why help a merger and help grow the combined series unless they want to be part of it?

dando
02-09-08, 11:26 AM

FTG is just hedging his bets. Otherwise, he could be left with no leverage after this season. I'm also certain this is someone's doing other than his...someone is whispering in his/pulling the puppet strings. Ratatouille anyone? :tony:

FYI, the Honda agreement with the IRL is 'until 2009', so interpret that as you wish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IndyCar_Series

Honda also came to the IRL in 2003, and by 2005 was clearly the dominant engine manufacturer. Starting in 2006, they became the only engine manufacturer in the IRL, and will continue in that capacity until 2009. The Honda engine is designed and produced by Ilmor Engineering Ltd, which is partially owned by Roger Penske.

-Kevin

dando
02-09-08, 11:34 AM
The question I have is if adding LB was part of the offer in November and the Motegi date is an obstacle, why wasn't TG on a plane last Fall? It would seem he suddenly has a greater interest in "pulling this across the finish line"

But yes it is also about engines and continued support from Honda. Honda will have absolutely no interest in moving the Motegi race unless they also see a reason to continue to participate with the league. Why help a merger and help grow the combined series unless they want to be part of it?

IMHO, either he got word that HoMoCo was pulling the plug after '08, or he's creating the drama to minimize normal, rational discussion and make FTG look like the white knight. Me thinks HoMoCo may have forced the issue now that IRL fanboy Clarke is out of the HPD mix.

-Kevin

Insomniac
02-09-08, 12:55 PM
That's what I've read too.

We don't really know when the Motegi thing came up though. It's really hard to know what is actually going on. The leaks don't really tell us much. We all just try and fill in the huge blanks in all this. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Andrew Longman
02-09-08, 01:17 PM
We don't really know when the Motegi thing came up though.

IIRC both IRL and CC schedules were released by November and they are both on their traditional weekends. Any discussion in November about getting free equipment and running LB had to include the date conflict, assuming anyone looked at a calendar.

Insomniac
02-09-08, 02:09 PM
IIRC both IRL and CC schedules were released by November and they are both on their traditional weekends. Any discussion in November about getting free equipment and running LB had to include the date conflict, assuming anyone looked at a calendar.

Didn't we figure that it was a bail on CC offer, not let's merge offer? But you are right. If TG wanted LB then someone knew the date overlapped Motegi's.

stroker
02-09-08, 03:21 PM
I'm hoping he's going there all pumped up at the prospect of telling Honda that he's not going to be their bitch any more. I can just see him in front of half a dozen stoic Honda execs in black business suits, with Tony mumbling "Uhhh....We now have alternatives to....mmmmmmmmmm... Honda engines and financial support. What is Honda willing to do to continue being associated with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway?"

Imagine those execs slowly turning their heads and looking at each other in silence, the phrase, "Did I just hear that dumb **** say what I think he just said?"

I can see him being that stupid, I really I can.

Andrew Longman
02-09-08, 03:49 PM
Imagine those execs slowly turning their heads and looking at each other in silence, the phrase, "Did I just hear that dumb **** say what I think he just said?"

To quote Bobby Collins, "On the inside"

The Honda execs will, in typical Japanese fashion, nod, say yes, and then never do anything... Except to maybe call AGR and ask if they will run a few more Acuras in ALMS

JLMannin
02-11-08, 12:40 PM
He will have to smoke Japanese Meat.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: