02-08-08, 12:45 AM
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/open-wheel-peace-at-hand/

tllips
02-08-08, 12:50 AM
If this happens, they will be racing at Kentucky instead of Road America. :cry:

SteveH
02-08-08, 12:55 AM
If this happens, they will be racing at Kentucky instead of Road America. :cry:

And I wouldn't blame Road America is they never let an open wheel series race there again.

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 01:05 AM
If this happens, they will be racing at Kentucky instead of Road America. :cry: If this happens there will be no reason to care about American Open Wheel ever again.

greenie
02-08-08, 01:33 AM
If this happens there will be no reason to care about American Open Wheel ever again.

Either you're with us or against us! :p

Gee, like this wasn't an inevitability. I'm an optimist, but this year's 14 race (unavailable on TV) mega-schedule was pitiful, and really worthless.

Pity also that the buckets will be be rumbling through LB, but maybe the new formula will be something worthwhile in a year or two.

datachicane
02-08-08, 01:42 AM
I've wondered for years how this moment would feel.

Five or six years ago I would have been absolutely ecstatic.

Right now it's hard to muster much more than a shrug, aside from some disappointment at the near certain loss of my home race.

Dr. Corkski
02-08-08, 01:47 AM
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/114/thefinalcountdownsinglent4.jpg

pchall
02-08-08, 01:55 AM
As usual at this time of year, Miller is smoking the hemp rope he uses to tie up his greasy chinos and beating the merger drum.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, dearies.

:shakehead

TravelGal
02-08-08, 02:25 AM
As usual at this time of year, Miller is smoking the hemp rope he uses to tie up his greasy chinos and beating the merger drum.

If it were just Miller spouting off, I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest. With quotes from every one of the major CCWS players (owners and drivers) thrown in, however, I'm wondering if I can unload my Long Beach tickets on E-Bay. :cry:

greenie
02-08-08, 02:29 AM

It's February - I don't recall this being Miller season for leading the masses astray. The Miller (errr messenger) haters are my fave. :gomer: :shakehead

The quotes from PLN(!), Vasser, KK, and PT are pretty evident - but I'm sure they're all traitors and wankers, unless RM's making everything up. :rofl:

Sad, but that's the way it goes. Decent try by KK and GF though.

Pray for a new formula (or better yet, world peace)

cameraman
02-08-08, 03:16 AM
Let me get this straight...

Paul Newman was ecstatic upon hearing of the proposal. “I feel like I died and wrent to heaven,” said the co-owner of Champ Car’s winningest team along with Carl Haas and Mike Lanigan. “This is the best news I’ve heard in a long time.”

This is Paul Newman's response to dumping the Panoz, buying dallaras, canceling 11 ccws races and replacing them with 1.5 mile d ovals? Paul Newman is "ecstatic"? Pardon me if I am a bit dubious about this...

greenie
02-08-08, 04:21 AM

This is Paul Newman's response to dumping the Panoz, buying dallaras, canceling 11 ccws races and replacing them with 1.5 mile d ovals? Paul Newman is "ecstatic"? Pardon me if I am a bit dubious about this...

Why, because Robin's making up a quote out of thin air?

Miller's the best motorsport journalist in the country IMO, and it's been been funny seeing him vilified by everyone from Wilke ("hanging on Robin's word") and the IWARM TF losers, to the ,,,commatard,,, and Paul Gentollozi - epic losers - and every moron in between.

I couldn't be happier that he's the harbinger of the doomsday news (complete w/quotes), because I'm psyched that he's right and their agendas are history. Plus, anyone w/the slightest amount of common sense could see this coming down the pike - the Champ Car season this year was completely useless as announced. So no real loss IMO.

High Sided
02-08-08, 07:14 AM
open wheel ovals and paul tracy, a great combination in any car. :thumbup:

KLang
02-08-08, 07:47 AM
Miller's the best motorsport journalist in the country

:eek: :rofl: Sorry, it is not legal to use the word Journalist to describe that POS.

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 07:47 AM
Where are the quotes from TG, KK and GF?

And:

“Are you kidding me?” said Bachelart, whose Indy-based Conquest Racing just signed rookie Franck Perera. “I just spent a million dollars on a new car and spare parts and this news hurts because I know the value of money. I’m all for one series but I wish it would be 2009.”

Seems more like it.

Anyway, if true, there is nothing in the resulting series worth watching. Not that schedule, not that car.

It would be so fitting though that TG would screw up even a merger

KLang
02-08-08, 07:48 AM
If this happens there will be no reason to care about American Open Wheel ever again.

Yep. :thumdown:

Hopefully just more BS from Miller.

emjaya
02-08-08, 08:07 AM
“Are you kidding me?” said Bachelart, whose Indy-based Conquest Racing just signed rookie Franck Perera. “I just spent a million dollars on a new car and spare parts and this news hurts because I know the value of money. I’m all for one series but I wish it would be 2009.”

Maybe he can start up his own series with the DP01. :tony:

chop456
02-08-08, 08:31 AM
Miller is the best there is. Maybe you'd prefer something bi-monthly from Phillips or Kirby relaying news that happened 6 weeks ago?

Cheer when he puts down the idiotgrandson(TM) and boo when he writes something negative about Champ Car. Blah.

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=chop456;220520]Miller is the best there is.....[QUOTE]

That tells ya something about the state of things. Miller could easily be a staff writer for OK magazine, he's that good.

rosawendel
02-08-08, 08:44 AM
slightly off-topic: why in the world is that dinky little article spread out over three pages?

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 08:49 AM
slightly off-topic: why in the world is that dinky little article spread out over three pages? State of the art web design.

Elmo T
02-08-08, 09:15 AM
I assumed that the merger-reunification-absorbtion-melding-amalgamation-union-combination would eventually happen.

My naive assumption was that it would be the best of both series. :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 09:24 AM
I assumed that the merger-reunification-absorbtion-melding-amalgamation-union-combination would eventually happen.

My naive assumption was that it would be the best of both series. :rolleyes:
Nope, there will a bigger grid of ****boxes and natural terrain road courses will be nearly eliminated.

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 09:50 AM

That was my thought also when I read that. what the article doesn't mention is how much Tony is paying KK/GF.

nrc
02-08-08, 09:51 AM
Most of the quotes in that story are the result of Miller calling up Champ car teams and saying, "Hey did you hear about the merger?" Doesn't mean that there's nothing going on, but he's definitely operating on his own agenda.

Wonder how he'll spin it if the whole thing goes a cropper because Honda won't accept that Long Beach is more important than Motegi.

Accipiter
02-08-08, 09:55 AM
Ugh. Dallaras.

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 09:59 AM
No more turbos.

:(

I got the mergification out of my system a couple of weeks ago. Hearing this has actually bummed me out this morning.

the only thing I keep telling myself is that if Paul Newman is "estatic" (which I doubt), there must be more to this than Miller is telling. Are the DP01's on hold until next year? One can hope i guess.

Nope, I never guessed the 'merger' would leave me feeling so empty.

Audi_A4
02-08-08, 10:25 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=229180&hubname=auto_racing

tsn says merger is a signature away

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 10:25 AM
Add Long Beach, Ed and Australia to this and there is still absolutely no reason to watch any of it. Take a long, hard look at this schedule.
http://www.indycar.com/schedule/schedule.php

nrc
02-08-08, 10:35 AM

This is just basically quoting the Miller report.

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 10:42 AM
"It's as close as it's ever been to being together, but we don't know if we can get across the goal line," said George.

in other words..."if someone in the media or in Champ Car or my shadow or that guy who craps on my lawn confuses me out...the deal is off!"

Elmo T
02-08-08, 11:04 AM
No more turbos.

Are the DP01's on hold until next year? One can hope i guess.

I was pondering the same thing. How many DP01 chassis are rolling around out there? Build them through 08 for a full compliment in 09?

Engines? :yuck:

Car-B-Q
02-08-08, 11:18 AM
Add Long Beach, Ed and Australia to this and there is still absolutely no reason to watch any of it. Take a long, hard look at this schedule.
http://www.indycar.com/schedule/schedule.php

Long Beach conflicts with Montegi, Edmonton conflicts with Mid Ohio; and anyone believe they are really gonna go from Sept 2 to Oct 26 with no race (remember they wanted to consolidate their schedule)?

Long Beach ain't moving its date so the only thing that makes sense (schedule-wise) is for Motegi to be Oct 19 and double with Oz.

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 11:23 AM
Long Beach conflicts with Montegi, Edmonton conflicts with Mid Ohio; and anyone believe they are really gonna go from Sept 2 to Oct 26 with no race (remember they wanted to consolidate their schedule)?

Long Beach ain't moving its date so the only thing that makes sense (schedule-wise) is for Motegi to be Oct 19 and double with Oz. Details don't matter, almost the entire schedule is turds in a blender events.

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 11:27 AM
So what happens to Atlantics? Only three of their 14 events would seem to be running. I guess that's toast too?

Something just doesn't seem right about this. TG said last month there was not time to get team equipment. ;)

Still what did KK and GF agree to?

That their two teams would take the chassis/engine offer and add 4-5 cars to the IRL grid, eat the contracts with Lanigan for his two races (and any other contracts), cancel the track rentals, negotiate with Surfers and Edmonton to transfer the contracts, and kill off Atlantics?

They can't promise that any other team would take TGs offer. They'll go wherever it makes the most sense including home.

This is not being played to create the strongest and best economic series possible. Rather, TG is playing it simply to win and kill off CC.

There are no quotes from KK or GF but there are from TG so he leaked this to RM. If KK was in negotiations with TG he certainly wants to keep that from the teams until the deal is done because if it doesn't get done he will want them prepared for the season. The fact that these RM stories came out just before and after Sebring is telling. It will have the effect of stalling driver contracts, sponsor negotiations and equipment purchases. And it screws up ticket renewals. I got order forms from Cleveland and RA in the last few weeks.

In the end this does nothing to add a very viable ladder series with a lot of teams and new equipment to the IRL. It does nothing to add more viable events and bring in a wider fanbase. And in all likelihood only a handful of cars will move over.

robot9000
02-08-08, 11:27 AM

You mean like he was wrong about Johnson, Vegas, Cotman, China, Phoenix, Forsyth, RuSports ? Just askin....

Insomniac
02-08-08, 11:39 AM
Where are the quotes from TG, KK and GF?

“It’s as close as it’s ever been to being together, but we don’t know if we can get across the goal line,” said George on Thursday evening. “But no one is giving up yet.”

Added Kalkhoven: “Both sides want this to happen very much and we’re working on it.”

Insomniac
02-08-08, 11:42 AM
Anyone else find it funny that the only sticking point is LB/Motegi? I mean, is the idea that CC run LB and the IRL run Motegi that hard to come up with?

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 11:49 AM
Anyone else find it funny that the only sticking point is LB/Motegi? I mean, is the idea that CC run LB and the IRL run Motegi that hard to come up with?

Given that even with TG's help it will require more money to run the IRL season, I doubt teams want the expense of gearing up a DP01 just for one race.

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 11:55 AM
From somewhere else:

Just got out of a meeting with the Pres of CCWS. "Business as usual" for '08. Unka Jerry and KK are going to make a conference call to HQ later today.

Imsomniac: Thanks, I missed that KK quote (and I did see the TG, but mistyped). I wonder about the context though. KK has made similar statements for two years.

Insomniac
02-08-08, 12:08 PM
Given that even with TG's help it will require more money to run the IRL season, I doubt teams want the expense of gearing up a DP01 just for one race.

Yeah, but if that's the single impediment, it would seem quite dumb for that to be the reason it doesn't get done. Although, stupider things have probably derailed this before. They have the cars, the data and what not. They may have to get drivers to do a one off, but I'm sure they could manage to find drivers. It's just one race.

With all that said, I'm with Bachelart. This should've been done for 2009. That's the logical way to do it. But this comes as no shock that they would rush this, fly by their pants and make it a mess. I suppose of you can get these "businessmen" to agree at any point you just do it and clean up the mess afterwards. Long term planning isn't exactly either sides forte.

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 12:17 PM
It's one thing to hammer out a few shared races, it's another thing completely to work through complete merger details. I don't see this happening this year.

Absorbing is not merging. I hope they work out a better deal for next year but I don't see TG being very conciliatory.

RHR_Fan
02-08-08, 12:19 PM
If it happens which schedule would they take? Obviously not all CC, but they wouldn't take the whole irl schedule? No Road America = :flame:

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 12:21 PM
If it happens which schedule would they take? Obviously not all CC, but they wouldn't take the whole irl schedule? No Road America = :flame: Kiss natural terrain road courses goodbye. Say hello to temporary "tracks" and toilet bowls.

KLang
02-08-08, 12:21 PM
From somewhere else: Just got out of a meeting with the Pres of CCWS. "Business as usual" for '08. Unka Jerry and KK are going to make a conference call to HQ later today.

If it looks like they are just going to phone in the '08 season, while waiting for an '09 capitulation, I won't have much interest in that.

I still think Miller is connecting dots that don't exist again.

Al Czervik
02-08-08, 12:25 PM
With all apologies to Mel Brooks, Richard Pryor, et al...

Ol' Gabby Johnson sees a cloud of smoke coming up the trail
"Here comes the merger!"
Church bells ring, the band starts playing...

Getting a closer look, Gabby exclaims: "The merger's using C" <DING>
Olson Johnson: "What'd he say?"
Dr. Sam Johnson: "He said they're using champcars!"
Gabby Johnson: "no no gal dram it, I said the merger's using C" <DING>

As a Dallara coasts to a stop...

Howard Johnson: "...I extend this laurel and hardy handshake to our new
crapwagon."

Insomniac
02-08-08, 12:36 PM
From the AP:

"As long as Honda won't move Motegi, there won't be a merger," Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven told The Associated Press on Friday. "It's certainly a major hurdle, but not the only one.

"I believe there are significant advantages in doing [the merger], but I believe there are also significant advantages in not doing it. At this moment in time, there are no discussions until they move Motegi."

Griffin was more optimistic about the negotiations with Kalkhoven and Champ Car co-owner Gerald Forsythe.

"This thing is moving forward, but there's still some work to be done. I don't know how long it's going to take," he said. "We are looking to add some teams and some races. [Retired Honda racing boss] Robert Clarke and Tony are going to head to Japan to talk to the Japanese about coming off their date."
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=3236736

SteveH
02-08-08, 12:42 PM
I can't see Motegi in the fall, that's a very rainy season for Japan. I'm sure Honda wants a pre-Indy race to showcase to their country the IRL. Can you imagine the bump in sales they will get if they win Indy? :rolleyes: :gomer:

G.
02-08-08, 01:03 PM
I made chili this past weekend. You know, for the game.

I think that my powders are getting all worn out. They're losing their bite. I amped it up a bit, but I didn't get the heat. Flavor is still great, though.

:gomer:

Gnam
02-08-08, 01:06 PM
So... is Spring Training at Laguna Seca cancelled? Or are they gonna bring Dallaras? :yuck: :irked:

Can't believe these geniuses want to merge, but are willing to scrap it over one race conflict. Run both races and meet in Indy, dumbasses. :shakehead

Indymania! :(

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 01:14 PM
From this: http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=others/08/02/08/AUTO_IndyCar.html

The combined series could have as many as 24 cars participating for the full season

Not more? 14 car/driver combos in Sebring not counting Walker. RP, AGR, CG, Vision are 10 cars. D&R is 2 more. RLR, Roth and Duno are 3 more.

Is that as many as TG will fund? Which IRL minnows won't get Tonybuck this year? Is the offer to CC teams first come, first serve up to 24 total cars?

Maybe it is just a WAG by the author.

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 01:17 PM
Run both races and meet in Indy, dumbasses. :shakehead

You're assuming enough teams will choose to participate in the clusterfub to put minimally full grids at both races.

Tony George
02-08-08, 01:19 PM
I just hope for mergerfication so we can see Dannicant fight PT after crashing. :tony:

dando
02-08-08, 01:24 PM
Can't believe these geniuses want to merge, but are willing to scrap it over one race conflict. Run both races and meet in Indy, dumbasses. :shakehead

It's all about the Yen, yo. HoMoCo is the only engine and Yen supplier, so they need to be on board for this to work. Period. Especially with the '09 contract date looming large.

Not sure why there's all of this RM hate. Considering the multiple sources, something is brewing. Here's another one with different quotes:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/SPORTS0107/802080490/1052/SPORTS01

If it turns out as reported with Dallaras, no turbo Cozzies, dropping RA or Cleveland...I think I'll pass.

I seriously doubt this could be in place for '08 due to contract issues, etc., but '09 seems like a lock considering HoMoCo could pull the plug after that. I truly believe that is what is making this this persistent this time around.

Oh, and Longman...expecting a quote from GF on this? He doesn't like the press period. He's not gonna talk until it's all said and done. You can pretty much count on one hand the number of quotes from him the past couple of years.

-Kevin

RichK
02-08-08, 01:26 PM
Jimmy Vasser tells SpeedTV.com. "It's a very good day for motor racing."

I totally agree. :thumbup:

How long do you think natural terrain road courses were going to last with CCWS anyway? Laguna was going to be a ghost town this year, Portland was always on the ropes season to season. Cleveland will come back because it's such a great race. Road America can't be ignored either.

This year may suck, but I'm optimistic about the potential for a single series a couple years from now. As it stood with CCWS & the IRL and their spec cars and their 1 hour highlight shows, there was no hope. Now their is the hope of manufacturers slowly re-entering AOW racing, paying for good drivers & dragging in associate sponsors. A new formula will be created in a couple years, and the current s****boxes will be an ugly stain in the history books.

This needed to happen.

Sean O'Gorman
02-08-08, 01:36 PM

How long do you think natural terrain road courses were going to last with CCWS anyway? Laguna was going to be a ghost town this year, Portland was always on the ropes season to season. Cleveland will come back because it's such a great race. Road America can't be ignored either.

This year may suck, but I'm optimistic about the potential for a single series a couple years from now. As it stood with CCWS & the IRL and their spec cars and their 1 hour highlight shows, there was no hope. Now their is the hope of manufacturers slowly re-entering AOW racing, paying for good drivers & dragging in associate sponsors. A new formula will be created in a couple years, and the current s****boxes will be an ugly stain in the history books.

This needed to happen.

You said it better than I could. Obviously this isn't the "best" thing that can happen, but it is certainly the right thing given the circumstances.

There are going to be enough road courses that if you don't watch because of a 2 second per lap difference or because of ugly sidepods, you are too fringe to matter anyway.

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 01:39 PM
RichK: Granted I was not too optimistic about the 08 season, but the time for this was years ago. No one cares now.

More important, what makes you think TG and his braintrust will have ANY interest in building a series that does anything more than provide 33 starters each May?

They have not and will not do anything more. They do not have to and in fact want nothing that threatens the supremacy of the I500. Think USAC 1977.

Just look at how TG is handling this merger. He is doing the bare minimum to make it happen and leaving out every meager opportunity to make the combined series greater than the parts.

dando
02-08-08, 01:44 PM

This needed to happen.

To me it's bittersweet. This is the only 'positive' outcome possible, but I doubt I'll be a fan of it. I might watch some, but FTG won't get a dime from me. Ever.

-Kevin

RichK
02-08-08, 01:53 PM
RichK: Granted I was not too optimistic about the 08 season, but the time for this was years ago. No one cares now.

More important, what makes you think TG and his braintrust will have ANY interest in building a series that does anything more than provide 33 starters each May?

They have not and will not do anything more. They do not have to and in fact want nothing that threatens the supremacy of the I500. Think USAC 1977.

Just look at how TG is handling this merger. He is doing the bare minimum to make it happen and leaving out every meager opportunity to make the combined series greater than the parts.

I agree that the time for this was years ago - in fact it never should've been necessary in the first place. I certainly don't care now about either series - I moved on a couple years ago.

TG isn't fit to run anything, but he won't be designing the new cars, and Long Beach will always be Long Beach. I stopped going to the LBGP a few years ago, which was a pilgrimage each year for me since the 1980 F1 race. I stopped going under KK's and GF's watch, not TG's. None of the three are fit to run the thing, but all I care about is seeing big time racing with manufacturers battling and world-class drivers racing. We don't have that now - and IMO it was never going to happen with two crappy series struggling along.

Racing Truth
02-08-08, 01:55 PM
I know we're not supposed to, but you,,,,know where,,,,,is at 27 friggin pages,,,,,. (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49937):gomer: :tony:

So, can we conclude KK was, uh, er, lying when he said he hadn't met with TG in nine months?

I'll greatly miss my home race (Cleveland), but unlike Malone, I had a hunch all the denials from 2 weeks ago were not totally genuine.

So, like RichK, I think this needs to happen. I hate to see TG in charge, and those cars, :sigh:, but I view the current situation as untenable.

TravelGal
02-08-08, 02:01 PM

I can't even bear to read it. Like Sean, I got this out of my system a bit ago and thought we were "safe" for one last year.

BUT, there have been rumors of the BIG announcement just before Daytona that would overshadow Daytona and this is the only thing it could be.

Having said that, it doesn't make any sense that they didn't know before now that the dates conflicted. Something doesn't seem right about the way this is being put forth.

And, yes, wouldn't it be SOMETHING if Robin had simply called the various players and made it SOUND as if this were a done deal? I somehow doubt that though, principally because he tossed out Dick Eidswick's name. If (big if) Dick IS involved, it has to be legit, IMHO.

/end ramble

Sean Malone
02-08-08, 02:04 PM
I know we're not supposed to, but you,,,,know where,,,,,is at 27 friggin pages,,,,,. (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49937):gomer: :tony:

So, can we conclude KK was, uh, er, lying when he said he hadn't met with TG in nine months?

I'll greatly miss my home race (Cleveland), but unlike Malone, I had a hunch all the denials from 2 weeks ago were not totally genuine.

So, like RichK, I think this needs to happen. I hate to see TG in charge, and those cars, :sigh:, but I view the current situation as untenable.

:confused:

Racing Truth
02-08-08, 02:08 PM
:confused:

Just saying that all the reports of "deal's off, there wasn't much of a deal..." from 2 weeks ago were not convincing to me. Esp. since the denials weren't coherent with each other.

Gnam
02-08-08, 02:09 PM
rumor that they're boxing up the Champ Car HQ: link (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49946)

Can anyone confirm?

Boatdesigner
02-08-08, 02:16 PM
There needs to be one series, but if all we are talking about is the CCWS teams joining the irl, then I doubt I'll find it very interesting. I don't watch the irl now and just adding some CCWS teams in crapwagons (especially when the DP01 is so much better) won't change that. The idea of my supporting a TG run series doesn't fill me with any joy, I'd rather find something else to do with my auto race watching time. By simply watching his series and sponsors, I am in effect helping him. I just can't stomach that.:yuck:

Now if the CCWS teams got to bring their DP01's, maybe de-tuned somehow to keep them competitive with the crapwagons, I might be a little more inclined to see this as a real merger. As it is being reported, it looks more like a capitulation to me.:shakehead

dando
02-08-08, 02:38 PM
rumor that they're boxing up the Champ Car HQ: link (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49946)

Can anyone confirm?

Where's Spickly when ya need 'im? He's prolly out checking Danicle's trash for preggers tests. :gomer:

Damn. Those meltdowns over there are hilarious. Excuse while I go shower now.

-Kevin

mueber
02-08-08, 02:42 PM
The devil is in the details. Since I'm almost to the point of giving up anyway, I guess I just don't care, but I think a merger would be good for the sport overall. I just don't intend to participate.

SAdair
02-08-08, 02:55 PM
I hope they make a decision soon, I have to decide if I want to renew my Cleveland tickets by March 1st. :\ :rolleyes:

Fio1
02-08-08, 03:03 PM
I kind of feel bad for all the CCWS teams who spent all winter getting their Champcars ready for 2008. Now you are telling them to dump the cars and get new ones? Make it more fun, deliver the IRL wagons on Thursday evening, and expect them to get dialed in for Friday a.m practice. :eek: :thumdown:

Also, who's going to tell Toyota that the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach will be made up of cars powered by Honda? :saywhat:

Wait to 2009. This is not a merger, this is a buy-out. Sounds like two airlines or banks merging into 1 and one of the banks/airlines hands out pink slips the day before the sign on the building changes....Not a good thing for the loyal CCWS teams. :shakehead

mueber
02-08-08, 03:16 PM
I hope they make a decision soon, I have to decide if I want to renew my Cleveland tickets by March 1st. :\ :rolleyes:

I'm in the same quandry. Although I've been debating whether it is worth it or not as a Champ Car race, it becoming an IRL will keep me home for sure.

nrc
02-08-08, 03:19 PM
"Once again, as has happened previously in the past four years, somebody has leaked a story to the press, and the press has turned it into a tornado," he said. "Now it has everyone running around in a circle. It's almost malicious, and it disappoints and infuriates me.

"We were very close to a deal a couple of years ago and everything got leaked. Then instead of the key people working it out, everybody gets involved in the discussion.

"If people are trying to help unification, silence is the best thing."

In a nutshell, George get's spooked very easily and if he thinks that the press isn't going to paint him as the steeley-eyed man of destiny instead of the Forest Gump that he is, he skitters back into his hole in the baseboard.

mueber
02-08-08, 03:30 PM
In a nutshell, George get's spooked very easily and if he thinks that the press isn't going to paint him as the steeley-eyed man of destiny instead of the Forest Gump that he is, he skitters back into his hole in the baseboard.

:rofl:

Andrew Longman
02-08-08, 03:31 PM
Statement from Kevin Kalkhoven & Jerry Forsythe, Champ Car co-owners:

Unfortunately, leaks and media reports about a possible unification of
Champ Car and the Indy Racing League (IRL) have significantly hampered
discussions. Over the past three years, we have fielded and offered
several proposals regarding unification of the two premier U.S.-based
open-wheel racing series, but we have been unable to reach an acceptable
solution. Discussions currently are at a standstill, and we therefore
are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car.

Well, considering that TG was quoted as saying he was trying to pull this over the finish line and was going to Japan to make it happen, it would seem likely that TG leaked the story to RM. Just as he did a few weeks ago.

Deal dead in less than 24 hours.:rolleyes:

As I said this morning, this seems as if it was timed to disrupt the CC season at a critical time and position TG as a savior willing to unify the series and if in the process he poaches a few teams all the better. That could be a kill shot for CC and give him the cars he badly needs.

G.
02-08-08, 03:32 PM
In a nutshell, George get's spooked very easily and if he thinks that the press isn't going to paint him as the steeley-eyed man of destiny instead of the Forest Gump that he is, he skitters back into his hole in the baseboard.:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

dando
02-08-08, 03:41 PM
Well, considering that TG was quoted as saying he was trying to pull this over the finish line and was going to Japan to make it happen, it would seem likely that TG leaked the story to RM. Just as he did a few weeks ago.

As I said this morning, this seems as if it was timed to disrupt the CC season at a critical time and position TG as a savior willing to unify the series and if in the process he poaches a few teams all the better. That could be a kill shot for CC and give him the cars he badly needs.

I'm not sure there is anyone credible in this whole deal any longer. :irked:

-Kevin

High Sided
02-08-08, 03:47 PM
this is all rumor, they have a 5 yr plan :tony:

Wheel-Nut
02-08-08, 04:08 PM

I had decided not to re-new my houston tickets when they sent out renewals. I am just going to go as G-A if it happens.

stroker
02-08-08, 04:08 PM

-Kevin

What, you mean between Robin Miller and Tony George you don't know who to believe?

Scandalous!

:D

Rus'L
02-08-08, 04:09 PM

-Kevin

Post of the year!

dando
02-08-08, 04:16 PM
What, you mean between Robin Miller and Tony George you don't know who to believe?

Scandalous!

:D

Nor KK, GF or FPG for that matter.

-Kevin

dando
02-08-08, 04:22 PM
Oreo solves the problem for Indy this year:

If that were the case, it's still not too late for Champ Car to meet George part way by encouraging and enabling its teams to participate in this year's Indianapolis 500.

Take half the Champ Car field -- say, eight drivers, because the IRL could just dust off the controversial "25 and 8" qualifying rule from its early days that reserved three-quarters of the Indianapolis 500 field for IndyCar Series points leaders. Let's say a group comprised of Graham Rahal, Justin Wilson and Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing; Oriol Servia, Alex Tagliani and PKV Racing; Will Power and Team Australia; Paul Tracy and Forsythe/Pettit Racing; Robert Doornbos and Minardi Team USA; and Conquest Racing and Franck Perera.

I sent him an e-mail asking where he found 25 cars for the IRL points leaders. :laugh: Isn't it amazing that the 25/8 rule isn't even valid any longer? :saywhat: Combined, both fields would barely fill Indy. Thanks for fixing everything, FTG! :mad:

-Kevin

dando
02-08-08, 04:23 PM

Where'd you find that PR shizzle? I don't doubt it, but I can't find it.

EDIT: nm It was included with an updated piece by Oreo, which details the issues @ length:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=3237154

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-08-08, 04:28 PM

What I wish is that it's the kill shot for Robin Miller. I agree that it's malicious on his part. He really has it in Champ Car. I can't describe what I think about him on a family forum.

TravelGal
02-08-08, 04:31 PM
Where'd you find that PR shizzle? I don't doubt it, but I can't find it.

-Kevin

“It’s as close as it’s ever been to being together, but we don’t know if we can get across the goal line,” said George on Thursday evening. “But no one is giving up yet.”

From the article cited in the first post. I think it was supposed to be someone else going to Japan, not Tohknee.

KLang
02-08-08, 04:32 PM
I had decided not to re-new my houston tickets when they sent out renewals. I am just going to go as G-A if it happens.

Have you received a renewal? I haven't and according to the Grand Prix website they went on sale in November. :mad: I was planing to buy into the hospitality area at turn two they added last year but it's not shown on the map now. I do want reserved seats for Sunday.

Ankf00
02-08-08, 04:37 PM

meh, the first year I had my pick of grandstand 1 3 day reserved just a month before the race.

dando
02-08-08, 04:42 PM

From the article cited in the first post. I think it was supposed to be someone else going to Japan, not Tohknee.

Nope. FTG and Barnfart are going. From the Cavin article I posted earlier:

But George, who will be accompanied on the Japan trip by IRL presidents Terry Angstadt and Brian Barnhart, said today that he doesn't want to get too optimistic that a deal could be reached.
"Because it seems that every time we've been close, some new obstacle seems to get in the way," he said.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/SPORTS0107/802080490/1052/SPORTS01

As I stated in another thread, just shoot Old Yeller already. :irked:

-Kevin

rabbit
02-08-08, 04:49 PM
:thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
02-08-08, 04:49 PM
Have you received a renewal? I haven't and according to the Grand Prix website they went on sale in November. :mad: I was planing to buy into the hospitality area at turn two they added last year but it's not shown on the map now. I do want reserved seats for Sunday.

Back in November, its been shelved since then.

Wheel-Nut
02-08-08, 04:52 PM
meh, the first year I had my pick of grandstand 1 3 day reserved just a month before the race.

I get the reserved for my dad. He likes to go but can't walk around all day any longer.

KLang
02-08-08, 04:54 PM
Back in November, its been shelved since then.

They lost me somehow then. I wasn't planning to renew in grandstand one, the afternoon sun was too brutal, but I would have liked a shot at good seats in three or five. :irked:

Wheel-Nut
02-08-08, 05:00 PM
Give them a call. That looks like a good deal. $245 for Sunday only and all the booze and food you can eat.

Accipiter
02-08-08, 05:13 PM
Should I be relieved, or dumbfounded at the idea that nothing but a secret deal will do it?

mueber
02-08-08, 05:14 PM
Statement from Kevin Kalkhoven & Jerry Forsythe, Champ Car co-owners:

Unfortunately, leaks and media reports about a possible unification of
Champ Car and the Indy Racing League (IRL) have significantly hampered
discussions. Over the past three years, we have fielded and offered
several proposals regarding unification of the two premier U.S.-based
open-wheel racing series, but we have been unable to reach an acceptable
solution. Discussions currently are at a standstill, and we therefore
are proceeding with plans to continue as Champ Car.

Does anyone know where this comes from?

dando
02-08-08, 05:17 PM

I included this with an updated post from earlier. Oreo's update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=3237154

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
02-08-08, 05:19 PM

http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49949

dando
02-08-08, 05:25 PM
http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49949

How stupid of them to not post that on the CCWS site. :saywhat: Speaks volumes about how mature on organization CCWS is. :shakehead

And now I have to shower yet again.... :irked: :gomer:

-Kevin

SteveH
02-08-08, 05:26 PM
What I wish is that it's the kill shot for Robin Miller. I agree that it's malicious on his part. He really has it in Champ Car. I can't describe what I think about him on a family forum.

No, I can't blame Robin. Or any of the media. Someone leaked it to them. And he has quotes. Many of them. So some wanted to discuss it. I can't believe that a leak scuttled the whole thing again. Its happened before - or at least that reason has been used before. I would hope these giants of industry :cough: :cough: would have everyone involved sign a non-disclosure statement the next time it pops up. And nothing happens until the relative few people that are truly on the inside sign such a statement.

Regardless TravelGal, we'll have a chance to trade beers again at the Hyatt. Maybe for the last time, but we will for sure this year. :thumbup:

RusH
02-08-08, 05:36 PM
Anyone know where FTG`s plane is though?;)

I don`t trust anybody right now, especially an email sent to voppy. :saywhat:

Gnam
02-08-08, 05:47 PM
Champ Car and the IRL have come close to reaching a merger agreement several times before, as recently as last summer. Each time, the talks have broken down when they have become public knowledge.

"We've been working on this for some time and everything was going pretty well behind the scenes," Kalkhoven said. "There is no such thing as the right time; there is only the time of opportunity, which you have to take when it comes."

I was in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time
I was sayin' the right things, but I must have used the wrong line
I was on the right trip, but I must have used the wrong car
Head is in a bad place and I wonder what it's good for
I was in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time
My head is in a bad place, but I'm havin' such a good time
What's it gonna take to get these two crazy kids together? :gomer: