PDA

View Full Version : Perera and Pagenaud for Conquest?

pchall
02-06-08, 03:55 PM
http://www.racegarage.it/usa/notizia.php?id_news=5967

Qual è la situazione delle trattative con il team Conquest?

"Ho firmato un contratto con Conquest prima del test, per cui non si è trattato di un test per valutare le mie prestazioni. Il contratto l'ho firmato un paio di settimane fa, ma verrà ufficializzato stasera. Il mio compagno di squadra, come nei test a Sebring, sarà Simon Pagenaud."

Google translation:

What is the situation of negotiations with the team Conquest?

"I signed a contract with Conquest of [before?] the first test, so it was not a test to evaluate my performance. Contract I signed a couple of weeks ago, but will be formalized tonight. My companion team, as in Sebring test will be Simon Pagenaud. "

Conquest does a have an afternoon press conference today.

See also:

Champ Car - Esclusivo: la Conquest firma con Perera e Pagenaud
06-02-2008

http://www.racegarage.it/usa/notizia.php?id_news=5969

Gnam
02-06-08, 04:14 PM
bon, bueno, git 'er done :thumbup:

devilmaster
02-06-08, 10:58 PM
so wait... is walker/aussie done as a CC team? :confused:

Andrew Longman
02-06-08, 11:02 PM
so wait... is walker/aussie done as a CC team? :confused:

I don't think so. Everything I've read is Power is in for sure with them. Walker and Gore are in chats about a second car.

devilmaster
02-06-08, 11:04 PM
I don't think so. Everything I've read is Power is in for sure with them. Walker and Gore are in chats about a second car.

Then the 2 mill bonus for the atlantics winner is a complete joke. Since the word was that last year's winner didn't get the money... i guess I can say good that they canned it.

Here's a silly idea.... use the 2 mill (or more) to up purses. teams might be more willing to keep drivers if they're making more money.... silly idea, i know. :irked:

pchall
02-07-08, 12:02 AM
Then the 2 mill bonus for the atlantics winner is a complete joke. Since the word was that last year's winner didn't get the money... i guess I can say good that they canned it.

Was there ever a promise an actual check made out payable to the driver? I always thought that the million was in subventions to run a car in CCWS -- ie help in the engine lease, chassis acquisition, spares, & etc?

Tim
02-07-08, 12:04 AM
I'm with pchall. If Matos thought he actually won 2 million dollars he needs to learn to read.

devilmaster
02-07-08, 12:13 AM
Was there ever a promise an actual check made out payable to the driver? I always thought that the million was in subventions to run a car in CCWS -- ie help in the engine lease, chassis acquisition, spares, & etc?

Regardless of how the money was to be spent or divvied up, the idea that was communicated to the masses was that the champions' bonus would help bring the talent into the big series to get them on their way.

Some will argue that Pags is still in the series, but IMHO, going from Team Aussie to Conquest is not a lateral move.

One would have hoped that Team Aussie would have kept him - as now he's starting from square 1 again with a new team. All that work in building Simon's relationship with Walker is gone. To me, that doesn't help foster the young drivers coming up.

And sadly I commented on it before:

If Pagenauld loses his seat, then the 2 Million bonus is a complete failure of a concept.

There aren't many rookies who can enter year 1 and be competitive all the time with the veterans. They need at least a 2nd year before they come into their own. What's the point of the 2 mill bonus if it means you have an Atlantic champion for 1 year then gone?

Perhaps 1 mill per year over 2 years? Or just take that money and find a better way to spend it. I know the 2 mill bonus is good PR for the Atlantic series, but it Pags is gone, then its a failure.

I doubt Sierra Sierra would move up on their own, just make some 'patnership' deal with an existing team... (aka a 2nd car for conquest or something)

Matos will land somewhere. The 2 mill will go somewhere, as every team on the CC grid will take it.

Andrew Longman
02-07-08, 07:26 AM
You could just as easily argue that Simon needed better results last year to either move up to a better team than Oz or attract more sponsor money to keep the seat.

Either way he got exposure he would not have otherwise got.

To absolutely ensure that the FA champion moves up then they need to double the prize (at least), but that also removes any incentive for a team to develop a sponsor base and get off the CCWS/KK teet.

Insomniac
02-07-08, 10:38 AM
I always understood it to be a $2M sponsor check that the Atlantic champ could take to a ChampCar team. Matos wanted more than what a standard ride buyer gets (nothing wrong with that) and no one was going to give it to him.

extramundane
02-07-08, 10:45 AM
Some will argue that Pags is still in the series, but IMHO, going from Team Aussie to Conquest is not a lateral move.

I dunno, they certainly showed well at the test, and they weren't too shabby when Wilson drove for them. It was when they had to the Biggest Check route that they slipped back, so a couple of full-year solid drivers might just be the missing pieces. Perera seems to have the stuff, and Pagenaud's no slouch, so this could be a good year for Conquest. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pags do better there than at Walker/Aussie, where he was an obvious #2.

opinionated ow
02-07-08, 10:58 AM

not what I have heard out here. sounds like gore is placing all his us racing biscuits in the one marcos ambrose basket

Dr. Corkski
02-08-08, 01:51 AM
I always understood it to be a $2M sponsor check that the Atlantic champ could take to a ChampCar team. Matos wanted more than what a standard ride buyer gets (nothing wrong with that) and no one was going to give it to him.Yeah but they wanted to him to take that "money" to Rocketsports, and that would be a move down the ladder coming from Atlantics.

Insomniac
02-08-08, 11:31 AM
Yeah but they wanted to him to take that "money" to Rocketsports, and that would be a move down the ladder coming from Atlantics.

The prize either needs to be bigger, or the Atlantic Champ has to realize you'll get a ride (which is more than most get), but not necessarily a very good one. Matos had other options, but I'd be surprised if every Atlantic Champ would get those options.

extramundane
02-11-08, 04:07 PM
Pagenaud was just announced as a full-time driver for Creation in the Le Mans Series. Make of that what you will.

cameraman
02-11-08, 04:09 PM
Nice gig.

Gnam
02-11-08, 04:19 PM
Pagenaud was just announced as a full-time driver for Creation in the Le Mans Series. Make of that what you will.
Not good.

Glad he made it out. :)

opinionated ow
02-11-08, 05:30 PM
not what I have heard out here. sounds like gore is placing all his us racing biscuits in the one marcos ambrose basket

Was announced last night that Gore was pulling out of cabs effective immediately. The claim was that they were still supporting Will Power in the CCWS, but there still has been no confirmation

Indy
02-11-08, 08:15 PM
Good for him.

The "scholarship" strikes again. :rolleyes:

pchall
02-11-08, 09:11 PM
Was announced last night that Gore was pulling out of cabs effective immediately. The claim was that they were still supporting Will Power in the CCWS, but there still has been no confirmation

FWIW the full text

WPS/WOW Racing withdraw from V8s

By David Wright Monday, February 11th 2008, 11:25 GMT

Craig Gore has announced his WPS/WOW Racing team has withdrawn from the V8 Supercar series due to personal business and health reasons.

Gore suffered an inner ear injury in October 2007, and although he has recovered well since, he still needs to avoid loud noise, not something that can be avoided at a race track.

This, and an increased commitment to his businesses, led to the decision to withdraw his team according to Gore.

"It's been an exciting journey and I would like to think that we did it our own way at WPS Racing over the past four seasons," Gore said in a statement.

"Operating a successful team in this sport is an enormous challenge. When we started this team back in 2004 I underestimated the time required to run a team that could win races on a consistent basis.

"With my business interests absorbing more and more of my time and my doctor continually in my one good ear telling me how important it is to look after myself, I just cannot dedicate the time and effort required to mould our operation into a race-winning V8 Supercar team.

"It is my belief that if you are not in this game to win races, then you shouldn't be around."

The team's two licences have been sold to undisclosed parties, with the team's cars and equipment to be sold separately.

It is unclear whether there will be a full grid at the first round of the series in a fortnight.

However, despite the team's withdrawal from V8 Supercar racing, Gore's company Wright Patton Shakespeare will continue its naming rights of the V8 Supercar Safety Car program for the next five years.

His commitments with Team Australia and Will Power in the Champ Car World Series remain unchanged, despite Power missing this year's opening test at Sebring.

dando
02-11-08, 09:14 PM
FWIW the full text

Sebring was usless. They'll be driving crapwagons. :saywhat: :yuck:

-Kevin

pchall
02-11-08, 09:21 PM

I'd like a link wid dat!

extramundane
02-11-08, 09:44 PM
I'd like a link wid dat!

En Français (http://endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=4887&thold=0)

cameraman
02-12-08, 03:50 AM
Off of Daily Sports Car

15 CREATION AUTOSPORTIF GBR D Creation CA07 - AIM Stuart Hall (GBR) Simon Pagenaud (FRA)

From the full season LMP1 list. He was just at Estoril testing for three days.

Dr. Corkski
02-12-08, 03:15 PM
En Français (http://endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=4887&thold=0)I bet Robin Miller made that up too. :gomer:

JT265
02-12-08, 03:35 PM
I bet Robin Miller made that up too. :gomer:

Oui. :tony:

cameraman
02-14-08, 07:23 PM

They just finished their 3 day test at Estoril.
They put ~3000 km on the car.
22 different tire compounds/constructions
Zero mechanical problems