PDA

View Full Version : I've just had some terrible news.

emjaya
02-06-08, 09:02 AM
My father-in-law is taking a redundancy package and retiring.

I'm shattered. :cry:

Cam
02-06-08, 09:07 AM
Mitzu? :irked:

emjaya
02-06-08, 09:13 AM
Worse.

XXXX.

Cam
02-06-08, 09:27 AM
aka NL?

chop456
02-06-08, 09:31 AM
No more free beer? Damn.

emjaya
02-06-08, 09:37 AM
Uh-huh. After 25 years of half-priced beer, it's gone. :cry: :cry:

On a serious note, when he started there in 1982 there were over 1000 employee's in the brewhouse. Today it's under 100 people.

Computers and that the beer is more of a chemical reaction than brewed, in his words. :\

:)

Cam
02-06-08, 09:44 AM
Soooooo Lets see..... Castlemaine owned it till what.... Mid/late 80's???? Then Swan Breweries bought it... Sometime in the 90's after Bondy got pwned by the state penn Swan got bought out by Lion Nathan? Lion Nathan is now out sourcing all Castlemaine products to Kenya.

Dat it in a nutshell?

:saywhat:

:where'smybunny: ;)

Kiwifan
02-06-08, 01:30 PM
You (Aussie) plonkers! You know good old NZ is swimming in cheap beer don't ya? You can get most 24 packs on special for around $Kiwi25 and top beers for about $28. How we can sell Aussie beer dollars cheaper than in Aus baffles me, a bit like how our nice Sauvignons are cheaper over there. :saywhat:

If you want to cross the ditch to try and stem the flow feel free, you can drink my share of the beer. :)

On a side note, my son has just graduated, top of the class, has left these shores to work in Aus, in a bottle store and is getting between $A18-$A28 an hour depending on what day he works. And they wonder why so many Kiwis are packing up, obviously cheap beer is not enough to keep them. :rofl:

Take care 'em, and you too Cambo.

Rusty.

dando
02-06-08, 01:39 PM
On a side note, my son has just graduated, top of the class, has left these shores to work in Aus, in a bottle store and is getting between $A18-$A28 an hour depending on what day he works. And they wonder why so many Kiwis are packing up, obviously cheap beer is not enough to keep them. :rofl:

Take care 'em, and you too Cambo.

Rusty.

Good to see the ol' sheep shagger is still about. :p Congrats on your son graduating. :thumbup: I suspect the pricing differences are due to minimums, much like we face here in oHIo. Wine, beer, and licker can be 20-30% cheaper outside of oHIo. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-06-08, 01:51 PM
Wine, beer, and licker can be 20-30% cheaper outside of oHIo. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Seriously? That's insane. I thought NY had the market cornered on taxes and premiums. The last beer I bought was $6.99 for a six-pack of Blue Moon, and that was after the savings from my grocery store card.

dando
02-06-08, 02:42 PM
Seriously? That's insane. I thought NY had the market cornered on taxes and premiums. The last beer I bought was $6.99 for a six-pack of Blue Moon, and that was after the savings from my grocery store card.

Yup. State minimum pricing. I can get my bottle of gin $6 cheaper in NJ than I can here. The wife's vino is $2-$3 cheaper per bottle. Beer is usually a couple of $s cheaper per case. :saywhat: :(

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-06-08, 02:48 PM
Good to see the ol' sheep shagger is still about. :p Congrats on your son graduating. :thumbup: I suspect the pricing differences are due to minimums, much like we face here in oHIo. Wine, beer, and licker can be 20-30% cheaper outside of oHIo. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Good heavens. How long have you lived there? It's oHIah. Or are you in the civilized part of the state? :D

dando
02-06-08, 02:59 PM
Good heavens. How long have you lived there? It's oHIah. Or are you in the civilized part of the state? :D

40 years, but I'm only 21. :D And yes, I live north of I-70, which is the demarcation line. :gomer:

-Kevin

Cam
02-06-08, 03:26 PM
Funny how that I-70 thing works... Same in Indy... :saywhat:

Indy
02-07-08, 12:06 AM
Funny how that I-70 thing works... Same in Indy... :saywhat:

Pretty close. Technically, South Street is the Indiana-Kentucky border.

TravelGal
02-07-08, 02:16 AM
40 years, but I'm only 21. And yes, I live north of I-70, which is the demarcation line. :gomer:

-Kevin

:rofl: Now THAT's funny. And I can see it's true. You can tell I went to college south of the demarcation line. :rofl: I'll never forget my roommate at the end of one year saying she had to get home for the summer to rehabilitate her speech. :D

Kiwifan
02-07-08, 05:25 AM
Good to see the ol' sheep shagger is still about. :p -Kevin

You might have to change that to cows, there's hardly a sheep to be seen in our fair country. ;) The farmers have followed the almighty dollar and it's milk that's giving them an income. Actually, it reminds me of a few Team Owners that we had a few years ago. :mad:

Anyway, back to 'ems beer, still can't stand the stuff. :p Vino boys, vino..

Rusty.

Robstar
02-07-08, 08:45 AM
All is not lost... My brother works for a certain brewery (ahem... think of a lizard) & the premium lager hasn't gone the way of inflation if you get my drifty... :D