PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Stability Control...

G.
02-01-08, 01:03 PM
SUX!

I almost got into 2 accidents due to the sensors and computer deciding that when I press the gopedal the engine should do - nothing. Thanks, computer.:shakehead

Next car you buy, if it has patented NHL traction control, MAKE SURE IT HAS AN OFF BUTTON!

My new ride has the ESC off button, which will be used extensively, and the "AWD is lame, let's go full 4X4, regardless of slippage!" button. Yay!

SteveH
02-01-08, 03:08 PM
if it has patented NHL traction control,

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Dirk Diggler
02-01-08, 09:12 PM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

I,,,,,,don't,,,,,,get,,,,,it,,,,,,

SteveH
02-02-08, 12:07 AM
I,,,,,,don't,,,,,,get,,,,,it,,,,,,

Your son will explain it. :D

nrc
02-02-08, 01:18 AM
On the RX8 I called the stability control "the fun police". What fun is a slow corner if you can't provoke a little oversteer on the exit? :\ Fortunately it has always provided power when it's needed - at least up to the limits of traction.

It could be turned off but for the most part I'd just leave it on. Then I'd be having some fun and it would kick in and I'd be left to wonder if it just saved my butt or only spoiled my fun. I'm pretty sure just the latter. On our last long road trip with the RX8 on backroads I drove pretty briskly on some wet roads with the specific intent of pushing it but always leaving enough margin that anti-lock or stability control never kicked in. Getting it right was good fun.

The MINI comes standard with traction control and anti-lock but DSC is $500 extra. I debated on whether to spend the money and decided against it. I wasn't able to provoke it on a test drive but it has a reputation for kicking in pretty agressively. I don't doubt it now seeing how easily the anti-lock kicks in.

TravelGal
02-02-08, 02:20 AM
SUX!

I almost got into 2 accidents due to the sensors and computer deciding that when I press the gopedal the engine should do - nothing. Thanks, computer.:shakehead

Sounds like you drive a 777.

Gnam
02-02-08, 04:00 AM
:laugh: good one.

The machines know best. :thumdown:

Andrew Longman
02-02-08, 04:57 AM
At slow speeds and in snow, the ESC on my TL definitely takes the fun out of sliding around corners, but I can turn it off. OTOH, driving at speed on the highway in pouring rain and spotty ice, there have been times when the ECS caught the car before I even realized I momentarily lost traction. I'm cautious enough that I don't think I would have lost the car, but the ECS eliminiated even those "moments".

Cam
02-02-08, 07:01 AM
Sounds like you drive a 777.

Marge wit teh smack!!!! :thumbup:

oddlycalm
02-03-08, 04:10 PM
Next car you buy, if it has patented NHL traction control, MAKE SURE IT HAS AN OFF BUTTON! Gotta agree on that. I wouldn't be happy with a car with I couldn't turn it off.

I played with DSC a lot at the track back in 2002 and found it added 3-4 seconds per lap by not allowing the car to drift through the corners. My car did have an off switch though. Richard put it well by calling it the fun police. Great for unskilled drivers or those not wanting to pay attention.

oc