View Full Version : Canadian Safety Warnings

Dirk Diggler
01-30-08, 05:51 PM
Ok...

Not good for work
Not good for the squeamish
Not good if you're prone to nightmares
Not good for kids

Ok? No, really - did you read the above?

Ok...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Methanolandbrats
01-30-08, 06:00 PM
I don't know what you're up to, but I'm not clicking on that. :)

Sean O'Gorman
01-30-08, 06:30 PM
No, you have to see these, they are funny.

EDIT: The commercials, not real life fatalities and mutilations.

TrueBrit
01-30-08, 06:35 PM
#2 and #4 are funny!!

Man you Canadians are accident prone...

Edit:Of course I meant that the COMMERCIALS were funny..not the real situations they depict...that should have been obvious to anyone....unless you REALLY think that the anvil falling on Wille Coyote's head is real too....

Andrew Longman
01-30-08, 07:37 PM
People. Lets see if we can do better than collective dumb ass comments on the youtube page itself. SeanO, you are showing some maturity. You self edited. ;)

Seriously. Who is the audience for these? How were they used? We they shown as public service announcements at Argo games? That's some pretty rough stuff to put over the air.

Also, I've done some work in the safety arena and I am a bit surprised by the message. Telling people to be responsible for their safety and blaming the employers isn't exactly seen today as very effective.

Rather it is seen as a matter of leadership, culture and efficiency. Basically it is recognized that a safe workplace is inherently efficient and vise versa. And procedure or process, truly optimized and managed to stay that way will have squeezed the possibility of error or harm out.

But that doesn't happen unless there is a culture that measures efficiency, not by the shift, day, week, or month but with a much longer view. It can't be a matter of putting together a few lucky periods and only ratcheting up safety management after an accident.

And that culture doesn't happen unless the leadership sets minimized varience of all types, including safety, as the goal for the company. In this way, safety not only saves lives, but it becomes a competitive advantage.

For more see http://www.bstsolutions.com/insights/books_leading.shtml

Anyway, there is not much point in telling people to be safe or blame their company if the person who really needs to see the video is the CEO and he/she also needs a business case for safety.

Stop me before I spout some more :gomer:

How long before Elmo chimes in?

TKGAngel
01-30-08, 07:47 PM
People. Lets see if we can do better than collective dumb ass comments on the youtube page itself. SeanO, you are showing some maturity. You self edited. ;)

Seriously. Who is the audience for these? How were they used? We they shown as public service announcements at Argo games? That's some pretty rough stuff to put over the air.

I remember seeing ad #1 during Hockey Night in Canada, so they did run over the air.

Methanolandbrats
01-30-08, 07:53 PM
Scalding, impalement and electrocution are a hoot :shakehead

jonovision_man
01-30-08, 08:12 PM
So I live in Ontario, where these ads originate.

They were meant to get people to take the risks of unsafe workplaces seriously.

They show no discretion when it comes to when they show them, they're on all day, any program, you never know when this will pop up on your TV screen. I have young kids, and frankly this isn't stuff a three year old needs to see. :saywhat: I don't hide my kids from most of what life dishes out, but this is pretty horrific, made her cry, and she still asks about the "lady with the burned face".

jono

Andrew Longman
01-30-08, 08:51 PM
Jono, thanks.

Yes, the poor chef was for me the most disturbing. It does create the desired effect and it drives home just how fast things happen.

After visiting their site I will modify my previous critique (slightly). They do operate on the zero accident principle, but they are also appeallng to union members and union leadership who don't have the companies best interest top of mind and don't always understand how fighting the company is hurting (literally) their members.

But kids don't need to see this. Absolutely can get the message out after the kids are in bed.

And there can be useful age appropriate ads that tell kids how to be safe.

In the end though, looking at the comments on YouTube (and our own dear TrueBrit and SeanO :D ) that very much find humor it the videos, you also really have to wonder if it is on total a wise public messaging strategy. Look too on Youtube all the parodies.

Andrew Longman
01-30-08, 08:57 PM
Scalding, impalement and electrocution are a hoot :shakehead

The fiance of my wife's college roommate's was burned horribly and died when his welding torch exploded his tanks.

My 12 year old nephew carries terrible scars from when, as a 2 year old, he pulled my brother's morning coffee off the counter and onto his chest.

Methanolandbrats
01-30-08, 09:28 PM
The fiance of my wife's college roommate's was burned horribly and died when his welding torch exploded his tanks.

My 12 year old nephew carries terrible scars from when, as a 2 year old, he pulled my brother's morning coffee off the counter and onto his chest.

My uncle is a well driller. His rig touched a huge transmission line when he was holding onto the controls. His steel soled boots fried as well as many parts of his body, somehow he survived.

A lineman friend died on a pole after completing the circuit.

The restaurant one is nasty, could very easily happen, I'll bet Canada has the cleanest kitchen floors in the World after that ad. :eek:

Elmo T
01-31-08, 09:07 AM
How long before Elmo chimes in?

;)

I don't know how I missed this thread last night.

A few years back, Portland, Oregon's fire safety message was "your safety is your responsibility". I do like that one.

I don't see the purpose of running these ads indiscriminately. I appreciate the message and I think there is merit to a zero tolerance policy. There are no "accidents". But was is really gained but running these wide spread when they they are really for a target audience? Safety is a top down issue. The companies with strong safety programs and run by management types who recognize the benefits.

I think the UK uses a similarly direct approach for fire safety - with a touch of brit humor, albeit the visuals are not as graphic. Check out their videos here. I don't know how well they'd play here in the US where the attitute about fire is generally WGAF.

Fire Kills (http://www.firekills.gov.uk/home/07.htm)

Cam
01-31-08, 09:10 AM
I have the scarring from when I was a toddler, I was just starting to walk. Stood up an put my hands on the wood gate of the braemar water heater. /me would be an easily recognizale crim....