PDA

View Full Version : Wilson signs with Newman/Haas

cameraman
01-29-08, 04:18 PM
I'll take it.

LINCOLNSHIRE, Ill. (Jan. 29, 2008) - Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing (NHLR) announced today that British driver Justin Wilson will team with American Graham Rahal for the 2008 Champ Car World Series season. NHLR will attempt to earn their ninth series title in their 26th season of Champ Car competition.

"I am extremely pleased and proud to be joining Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing," said Wilson, 29. "For the entire time I have been competing in Champ Car, they have been the strongest team. Sebastien (Bourdais) has left pretty big shoes to fill, but I have big feet! Joking aside, I am excited to have the opportunity to add to the results Sebastien and other drivers before me have achieved for the team. I am hoping to learn my environment quickly and let the results take care of themselves. I am confident that with having a team like this behind me, we can be championship contenders for 2008."

Wilson's first time to drive a Champ Car was on Oct. 8, 2002, on the Homestead Miami Speedway oval where he tested for Newman/Haas Racing (NHR) for a possible position at the team for 2003. The test went well and he was scheduled to attend a driver shootout for the team at Sebring International Raceway in December, but withdrew to pursue an opportunity in Formula One where he ran for the Minardi and Jaguar teams in 2003. The position was ultimately taken by Sebastien Bourdais who went on to win consecutive titles for NHR/NHLR from 2004-2007.

Wilson has competed in Champ Car since 2004 when he drove for Mi-Jack/Conquest Racing and finished 11th overall in his rookie season before moving to RuSPORT in 2005. He finished third in the season-ending standings in 2005 and was runner-up to Bourdais in 2006 and 2007. He has won four races, six poles and finished on the podium 14 times in 54 starts to date.

Rahal, 19, will return to the team for his second year in the series. In 2007, he became the youngest driver in series history to finish on the podium when he drove to a second-place finish in Houston and ended the season ranked fifth after a total of four top-three finishes. He also led races on three separate occasions and set the fastest lap of the race once in 14 events.

"I am really looking forward to entering my second season with such a great team, and most of all building on a solid foundation that was started last year," said Rahal. "I think that we should have a strong chance at winning races, capturing podiums and hopefully earning another championship for this historic team. I think we can all look forward to new beginnings, with great new events, and keep growing the races we have had for many years. This season will hopefully be another championship year for myself, and the whole team."

"Paul, Mike and I are excited about our lineup of Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal," said Carl Haas, co-owner with Paul Newman and Michael Lanigan, of Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing. "Graham ran well for us in his rookie season last year and showed the potential to win races. Over the past three seasons, Justin has consistently been one of the strongest challengers for the championship and we are now looking forward to having him represent us and again being a contender for the title."

After open tests at courses in Sebring (Florida), Houston (Texas) and Monterey (California), the Champ Car World Series season opens April 20 with the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Audi_A4
01-29-08, 04:24 PM
want he part of the pettit deal with forseythe?

cameraman
01-29-08, 04:26 PM
Guess not.

Press releases >>>>>>>> innerweb

G.
01-29-08, 04:40 PM
good to hear.

any clue on the sidepods?

extramundane
01-29-08, 04:41 PM

They hope to have two.

Wonder if the Pettit lawsuit is true or bogus?

cameraman
01-29-08, 04:43 PM
That the press release made no mention of any sponsors can not be seen as a good thing:irked:

TKGAngel
01-29-08, 04:52 PM
They hope to have two.

So does this mean Graham and Justin each only get one sidepod? Could make the handling a little wonky. ;)

Who is Petit allegedly suing?

extramundane
01-29-08, 05:04 PM
So does this mean Graham and Justin each only get one sidepod? Could make the handling a little wonky. ;)

It's to,,,counteract the,,,traction,,,control.

Who is Petit allegedly suing?

Sillypony's floating a "Pettit suing NHL for contract tampering" rumor. I'm guessing the official Wilson announcement means either the rumor is BS or Pettit got his palm properly greased, but given the other events of this off-season, WTF knows anymore.

dando
01-29-08, 05:07 PM
That the press release made no mention of any sponsors can not be seen as a good thing:irked:

Well their site still has McD's listed among others, and I've heard Newman doing promos for them on the radio recently.

http://www.newman-haas.com/sponsors.html

Of course they haven't updated the page titles on their site, so it still shows 2007. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-29-08, 05:40 PM

IIRC it was about this time last year when they finally announced Rahal, but it took a few more months to announce his sponsor.

FWIW McD and MediZone are still listed as sponsors on the bottom of the press release on their website but I think they would have mentioned them in the release if there was anything to it.

stroker
01-29-08, 05:59 PM
good to hear.

Scott Goodyear says they're the bulgy-looking things between the wheels.

Gnam
01-29-08, 06:20 PM
NHL press conference transcript: link (http://www.champcar.ws/News/Article.asp?ID=12497)

Choice quotes:

I think we're both in a fortunate position where we're working with the engineers that we had in 2007.
So what does Pettit have left?

I think there's a little uncertainty right now as to who is going to be where... I think if you see Doornbos back, he's obviously going to be good. (Simon) Pagenaud is strong, if he's back again. There's a lot of guys.
Potentially, the field is the best ever, maybe! :gomer:

cameraman
01-29-08, 06:44 PM
I'd be surprised to see MediZone return. I'm not sure that they still exist:confused:

Sean O'Gorman
01-29-08, 06:51 PM
Well, there is always YokeTV.

jonovision_man
01-29-08, 08:59 PM
Wilson rocks, glad he got the seat he deserves.

jono

G.
01-29-08, 09:24 PM
Scott Goodyear says they're the bulgy-looking things between the wheels.PT????

Insomniac
01-29-08, 11:07 PM
Congratulations to the 2008 Champ Car World Series Champion!

Sean Malone
01-29-08, 11:54 PM

:D :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
01-30-08, 08:46 AM

Yeah... JW in that car... the rest might as well mail it in.

Gnam
01-30-08, 01:17 PM
[Rumor] Both cars to sport McDonald's liveries: http://www.champcarworld.net/pages/news.php?id=4931

WTF? Sounds good. But why now? :confused:

diamond dave
01-30-08, 04:31 PM
[Rumor] Both cars to sport McDonald's liveries: http://www.champcarworld.net/pages/news.php?id=4931

WTF? Sounds good. But why now? :confused:
McD is running their 2 for $3 all year long