PDA

View Full Version : srsly?

Ankf00
01-28-08, 12:48 AM
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3261591.ece

From today, feel free to download another 25 million songs - legally

Spicoli
01-28-08, 01:09 AM
-1 no ipod compatible
-1 ads

+1 free

+/- 1 quality?

i liked this guy's comment, which sums up my feeling exactly. I go to alot of shows.

Hmmm....the latest miracle cure from an ailing industry. It will probably go the same way as all the others. I think eventually the music industry will have to face up to the gruesome truth: in the future, there is simply going to be a lot less money to be made from recorded music. Touring and performing will be the key revenue generators.

we shall see....

cameraman
01-28-08, 01:10 AM
Paid for by built in commercials somehow. Mac OS version due March 19.

Personally I'd rather pay for the music than listen to commercials.

RusH
01-28-08, 01:27 AM
-1 no ipod compatible
-1 ads

+1 free

+/- 1 quality?

i liked this guy's comment, which sums up my feeling exactly. I go to alot of shows.

we shall see....

Yeah...The Rolling Bones will quadruple the ticket price to 2K a ticket :rofl: :saywhat:

cameraman
01-28-08, 01:35 AM
Oh brother:shakehead

New York-based Warner Music undermined that claim, declared in a statement that it "has not authorized the use of our content on Qtrax's recently announced service." Universal Music Group and EMI Group PLC later confirmed they did not have licensing deals in place with Qtrax, noting discussions were still ongoing. A call to Sony BMG Music Entertainment was not immediately returned.

cameraman
01-28-08, 01:41 AM
iTunes with banner ads

The problem comes in that the service will run on a proprietary program and will be ad supported. All songs will be downloaded inside of the QTrax program, and played from there, and while the songs are playing you’ll be seeing banner ads going by. This is an essential part of the setup as two-thirds of each ad revenue dollar will go to the labels as their payment for leasing the songs to the service.

nrc
01-29-08, 01:37 AM
Well, maybe not..

The world's biggest music companies, including Warner Music Group Corp and Sony BMG, denied that they have agreed to license songs for a free download service that was launched by Qtrax on Monday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN2844446320080129

Not really interested. Not that they would ever produce a player for my OS, but I listen to my music when I want, where I want, with the player I want.

Re spicoli's quote: "Touring and performing will be the key revenue generators." They already are - for the artist. Unless you're a major act with a really good record deal (normally your second deal because your first deal always sucks) the record company gets the bulk of the money from album sales. That leaves touring as the major income opportunity for most performers.

So exactly what value-add are the record companies supposed to bring to the touring business? A major label might sell 1000 times more CDs for an act than an independent label, but they're not going to bring in 1000 times more people to see the show.

eiregosod
01-29-08, 09:23 AM
the only people who lost out with the change from CD/tape to MP3 are those cocaine addled middle managers in the record companies.

carry on

Spicoli
01-29-08, 04:16 PM
Well, maybe not..

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSN2844446320080129

Not really interested. Not that they would ever produce a player for my OS, but I listen to my music when I want, where I want, with the player I want.

Re spicoli's quote: "Touring and performing will be the key revenue generators." They already are - for the artist. Unless you're a major act with a really good record deal (normally your second deal because your first deal always sucks) the record company gets the bulk of the money from album sales. That leaves touring as the major income opportunity for most performers.

So exactly what value-add are the record companies supposed to bring to the touring business? A major label might sell 1000 times more CDs for an act than an independent label, but they're not going to bring in 1000 times more people to see the show.

OK.

cameraman
01-29-08, 04:21 PM
The company is a train wreck that makes the CCWS crew look positively brilliant in comparison.