PDA

View Full Version : FCC fines 2003 broadcast

oddlycalm
01-27-08, 03:20 PM
On Criminal Minds last week, a woman was shown being tortured with a cattle prod and yet they fine ABC and it's affiliates for showing some ass five years after the fact :confused: Who the hell even remembers outside of the FCC commissioners and the couple million guys with vidcaps of that scene with Charlotte Ross on their computers...? :gomer:

FCC retroactive fine (http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080126_ap_nudebuttocksmaycostabc14million.html)

oc

extramundane
01-27-08, 03:42 PM
Your tax dollars at work.

Utterly gdmf'n ridiculous.

eiregosod
01-27-08, 03:46 PM
no, it was interfering with my transmitter so the Fsee-see got involved :tony:

Andrew Longman
01-27-08, 04:02 PM
I remember the scene. There was nothing sexual about it. It was a dramatic exchange about being embarrassed. I do recall to that they could have accomplished the same thing with less ass, but Bochco clearly wanted to push things.

Far more offensive to me was another shower scene where we got more of a look at Dennis Franz's ass than we'll ever need as he had a little shower play with his wife. :yuck:

But I'll sleep better tonight know the Kaizer Foundation and this admonistration FCC is looking out for me. :gomer:

Dirk Diggler
01-27-08, 04:40 PM
The government is only doing their job until everyone has a fancy television set like mine. On my television, I can actually turn the channel if there's something on that I don't like. Not everyone has that luxury, obviously, so the feds (smaller government, right?) are only looking out for us until the technology is there to change channels or turn off the power. What do you think this is, Buck Rogers?

redmist
01-27-08, 05:01 PM
hell, they showed dennis franz's ass on that show, they should have been fined for that. who wants see some middle aged dude's ass.(well, besides paff) charlotte ross on the other hand, hell, they should be rewarded for showing her ass, full frontal and i would have taped it for the archives. ;)

Indy
01-27-08, 06:09 PM
**** the government.

chop456
01-27-08, 06:19 PM
They also showed some sweet side hogan from the ditzy blonde, gum-smacking receptionist once. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
01-27-08, 06:22 PM
FOX is airing some stupid reality show where they toss a bunch of people in resort and then film them pairing off and bumping uglies......nothing wrong with that, just good wholesome family entertainment :shakehead

Insomniac
01-27-08, 07:03 PM
Apparently it's only the lady's backside that is offensive. Dennis Franz, no problem.

G.
01-27-08, 07:28 PM
The government is only doing their job until everyone has a fancy television set like mine. On my television, I can actually turn the channel if there's something on that I don't like. Not everyone has that luxury, obviously, so the feds (smaller government, right?) are only looking out for us until the technology is there to change channels or turn off the power. What do you think this is, Buck Rogers?And it's not like it was a secret that you were gonna see what we saw. There was ample publicity, so that I could record it, maybe, you know, if I wanted to see such an ass.

FFCC!

stroker
01-27-08, 07:44 PM
Whatever the FCC fine was worth it, based on the one-liner Dennis Franz used later in that show.

Anyone know what it was, for trivia points?

Stu
01-28-08, 08:31 AM
maybe the feds realized they can't afford this tax rebate afterall, and they are trying to squeeze every penny out of big corporations to pay for it.

perhaps now they can have local and state police go back and issue tickets to everyone they gave a warning to in the past 5 years.

Andrew Longman
01-28-08, 01:43 PM
Apparently it's only the lady's backside that is offensive. Dennis Franz, no problem.

Apparently the FCC doesn't think anyone would consider Franz's ass a sexual organ.

Not to get all political, but what I don't get is the Kaiser folks and the social conservatives in Bush's FCC are all proud and happy about what they are doing and apparently oblivious to the vast majority of Americans, many who would otherwise support this, who think it is ridiculous to go after something five years after the fact (and on a show no longer airing).

Stu
01-28-08, 03:49 PM
not to nitpick but, what influence did the Kaiser Family Foundation have on the FCC? I've seen multiple articles that don't mention it. Even the linked article did not mention KFF, they were only referenced due to the use of the picture.

i don't see how they are to blame. in fact, a google news search pulls up 380 results for "FCC fine abc" and only 1 result (the linked article) for "FCC fine abc kaiser"

oddlycalm
01-28-08, 08:16 PM
Is it possible that FCC chairman Kevin Martin has never actually seen a woman's ass and didn't know what it was....?

oc

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/uploads/fcc-commisioner-kevin-martin.jpg

dando
01-28-08, 08:46 PM
Is it possible that FCC chairman Kevin Martin has never actually seen a woman's ass and didn't know what it was....?

oc

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/uploads/fcc-commisioner-kevin-martin.jpg

That's funny becuz he wears his *** quite nicely on his shoulders. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-28-08, 08:50 PM
not to nitpick but, what influence did the Kaiser Family Foundation have on the FCC? I've seen multiple articles that don't mention it. Even the linked article did not mention KFF, they were only referenced due to the use of the picture.

i don't see how they are to blame. in fact, a google news search pulls up 380 results for "FCC fine abc" and only 1 result (the linked article) for "FCC fine abc kaiser"

Vicky Rideout, vice president, Kaiser Family Foundation, talks about the depiction of sex on television using a scene from NYPD Blue as an example in this Feb. 4, 2003 file photo in Beverly Hills, Calif.

Kaiser has done some very good work researching and publishing on health issues including AIDS.

They also have a whole body of work relating health with entertainment, all of which IMO have a heavy presumption of censorship as cure. Their work has been cited by those interested in greater socal control from Tipper Gore to Jerry Falwell

China worries a lot about media content that does not promote "social harmony" and censors heavily with that as justification. I prefer to expect people to take great responsibility for getting their ass off the sofa and raising their kids to have better taste and values than most media outlets cater to. I don't expect our media to mold us into healthy and moral citizens

jonovision_man
01-28-08, 08:57 PM
**** the government.

Am I the only one that sees the irony in being censored while saying "**** the government" over censorship? :)

jono

Indy
01-28-08, 10:12 PM
Am I the only one that sees the irony in being censored while saying "**** the government" over censorship? :)

jono

I am glad someone got it. :D

Stu
01-29-08, 12:15 AM
They also have a whole body of work relating health with entertainment, all of which IMO have a heavy presumption of censorship as cure. Their work has been cited by those interested in greater socal control from Tipper Gore to Jerry Falwell

China worries a lot about media content that does not promote "social harmony" and censors heavily with that as justification. I prefer to expect people to take great responsibility for getting their ass off the sofa and raising their kids to have better taste and values than most media outlets cater to. I don't expect our media to mold us into healthy and moral citizens

Agreed. However, all I was really saying is it seems that the article just slapped her picture in there, but it was made out that the KFF worked together with the FCC on this one.

Also, the KFF can say whatever they want. We dont want to be censoring them do we? ;)

Stu
01-29-08, 12:17 AM

jono

There's no irony there. The government doesnt censor this forum, its the rules set by the admins. Many other forums allow such language. :gomer:

Insomniac
01-29-08, 09:52 AM
That's funny becuz he wears his *** quite nicely on his shoulders. :saywhat:

-Kevin

He's a fan of a la carte. :D

While it says "retroactive" fine, this must've been in the works a long time ago. Has ABC been fighting this for a while like CBS and Janet Jackson?

Warlock!
01-29-08, 01:01 PM
Of course the offending video is on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsxFvCaZJ8

It didn't offend me, but it did give me the desire to search for more risque videos... not necessarily on youtube.

chop456
01-29-08, 01:46 PM

It didn't offend me, but it did give me the desire to search for more risque videos... not necessarily on youtube.

Andrew got himself an eyeful. :thumbup: :D

Dirk Diggler
01-29-08, 03:20 PM

Sheesh, it's not like you could see beef curtains, or anything.

Puritanical America can kiss my ass. Of course, you couldn't show it on TV, but they can kiss my ass.

TrueBrit
01-29-08, 04:17 PM

I remember that episode.

Vividly.

Many times.

FCC? Bunch of wankers...:thumdown: No wait...that would mean they're normal...

So, how's that "smaller government" thing working out for ya? :shakehead

Stu
01-29-08, 07:58 PM
I think the funny thing is what the fine is really for.

Its not that they showed it, its that they showed it during the 9pm timeslot instead of 10pm in Central and Mountain time zones.

If its ok for 10p it should be ok for 9p, this is beyond stupid.

cameraman
01-29-08, 08:31 PM

Its not that they showed it, its that they showed it during the 9pm timeslot instead of 10pm in Central and Mountain time zones.

If its ok for 10p it should be ok for 9p, this is beyond stupid.

Especially when you consider that 10 PM is local news broadcasting and the networks don't have broadcast access at that time. They couldn't show it at 10 to save their lives.:shakehead

That the FCC does not understand how television is distributed is insane.

JLMannin
01-29-08, 10:05 PM
Especially when you consider that 10 PM is local news broadcasting and the networks don't have broadcast access at that time. They couldn't show it at 10 to save their lives.:shakehead

That the FCC does not understand how television is distributed is insane.

Prime time in the eastern time zone is 8 to 11 pm.

Stu
01-29-08, 10:47 PM

hes talking about central/mountain time zones.

G.
01-29-08, 11:56 PM

If its ok for 10p it should be ok for 9p, this is beyond stupid.I have always read that you must have the family-friendly stuff thru the 8:00 hour (8-9:00 PM, Central). The 9:00 hour and beyond was for the adults. No issue, with NYPD Nude.

And this FCC stuff is crap. It really burns me up!:flame:

There's so much **** on from 7-9:00 that I won't let my kids watch, due to the graphic depiction of DEAD body parts.:flame: "Procedurals". No, dead people! My kids cannot look at a medical anatomy book without freaking out. So let's show "Bones" and CSI's, and House, etc., etc.

I have NO issue with my kids seeing Ms. Ross' fine, fine bod. None. (Full-out penetration, that's different. WAY the **** different.)

We are arfed up in this country.:shakehead

emjaya
01-30-08, 08:40 AM
We are arfed up in this country.:shakehead

It's not just 'mericatards. Australia goes though periods of prudery. It all has to do with which political party is in power at the time. :\

Cam
01-30-08, 08:52 AM
It's not just 'mericatards. Australia goes though periods of prudery. It all has to do with which political party is in power at the time. :\

Number 96.

emjaya
01-30-08, 09:32 AM
Number 96.

I wasn't allowed to watch it.Too rude. :irked: :laugh:

Dirk Diggler
01-30-08, 11:08 AM
Just thinking of the Dave Foley promo for BBC America,
"You're watching BBC America. That's BBC without the tits."

TKGAngel
01-30-08, 11:27 AM
I have always read that you must have the family-friendly stuff thru the 8:00 hour (8-9:00 PM, Central). The 9:00 hour and beyond was for the adults. No issue, with NYPD Nude.

You're right. The technical term for the family friendly stuff is "safe harbor." The non-family friendly stuff can air between 10p-6a. However, the FCC interprets everything by local time zone, so as others have pointed out, Central and Mountain time zones are screwed when it comes to content.

What I don't get is that people are bothered by nudity on TV, but shows like L&O SVU get a free pass to discuss graphic sex crimes? How does that work?

G, sounds like you're doing what more people should do: making the decision to shield your kids from potentially disturbing content, and not relying on the government to do it for you.

Indy
01-30-08, 11:44 AM
I don't let my kid watch broadcast TV without my being there. There are too many showings of Pulp Fiction on Sunday afternoon and rape & murder dramas in prime time.

Tits and ass, no big deal. Cruelty and sadism, now that's a problem. And that seems to be what the networks thrive on.

JLMannin
01-30-08, 11:58 AM
hes talking about central/mountain time zones.

Yes, I realize that. The FCC means the last hour of prime time, and that varies based on what timezone you are in. The FCC is eastern timezone centric in their giudelines.

cameraman
01-30-08, 01:48 PM
That is the exact crap that pissed me off during the Grand Am coverage. My son who is 3 was watching the cars go by at 7 in the morning and what does Speed do but run an FX promo for the Shield and Rescue Me. It scared the hell out of him. What the hell are they doing running Dennis Leary's face in flames and Michael Chiklis going nuts at 7 ****ing AM? Same goes for just about every other sport. I don't care about naked bodies it is the constant violence that bothers me and him.

Insomniac
01-30-08, 02:09 PM
In the U.S. Violence = :thumbup: Nudity = :thumdown:. I'll leave it to others to figure out why it's the opposite in other places.

ChampcarShark
01-30-08, 02:14 PM

That will be 7 to 10 Central
6 to 9 Mountain
5 to 8 Western

No wonder Cinemax and HBO show their adult entertainment movies at 9:00 PM in my town. That is not acceptable for a family with small children.

I sent them a message to cancel subscription after one month of service. Never heard from them.

extramundane
01-30-08, 02:15 PM
And uh, people much wiser than I have said, I'd rather have my son watch a film with two people making love than two people trying to kill one other. And I of course agree. I wish I know who said it first, and I agree with that. But I would like to take it a step further. I would like to substitute the word f***, for the word kill in all those movie cliches we grew up with. 'Okay Sheriff, we're gonna f*** ya now. But we're gonna f*** ya slow.'

JLMannin
01-30-08, 02:24 PM
That will be 7 to 10 Central
6 to 9 Mountain
5 to 8 Western

No wonder Cinemax and HBO show their adult entertainment movies at 9:00 PM in my town. That is not acceptable for a family with small children.

I sent them a message to cancel subscription after one month of service. Never heard from them.

Each broadcast network has an east and west feed, so one set is eastern/central; the other is mountain/pacific. I'm not sure if the calbe networks have such an arrrangement of not.

cameraman
01-30-08, 02:32 PM
Some channels have western feeds some don't. It can get confusing comparing cable to satellite schedules in the mountain time zone which most people try to pretend does not exist.

ChampcarShark
01-30-08, 02:52 PM
Satellite offers both.

My cable company offers the Central feed, which is Eastern.

My local stations have the eastern feed, and so we celebrate new years at 11:00 PM Mountain time, because they delay the live program one hour.

Thank God for satellite, now we can actually watch live TV

TrueBrit
01-30-08, 03:03 PM
Just thinking of the Dave Foley promo for BBC America,
"You're watching BBC America. That's BBC without the tits."

I dunno about that...I've seen planty of knockers on BBC America...after a certain time of course....

And plenty of salty language too...Thanks Chef Ramsay!:thumbup:

Dirk Diggler
01-30-08, 04:14 PM
I dunno about that...I've seen planty of knockers on BBC America...after a certain time of course....

And plenty of salty language too...Thanks Chef Ramsay!:thumbup:

I remember a few bits of Alan Partidge that didn't make the US version, but maybe it's changed since then. Come to think of it, I think BBC America did keep David Brent waving the dildo around asking why it was in his office...
:rofl:

Ankf00
01-30-08, 04:57 PM
sometimes 10/9c == 11pm for me, other times 10/9c == 8pm.

TKGAngel
01-30-08, 05:24 PM
sometimes 10/9c == 11pm for me, other times 10/9c == 8pm.

What time zone are you in that your times are so wonky?

And plenty of salty language too...Thanks Chef Ramsay!

I thought the last time I saw Kitchen Nightmares on BBCAmerica, that there was bleeping of a few words. I could be wrong.

I'm surprised that the FCC hasn't cracked down on the Canadian channels that are received in the US. CBC is an over-the-air station here, and some of their programming can be a little jarring if you're not expecting it. I've been watching the Secret Lives of Hockey Wives, and some of the language and situations are especially shocking for a 9pm show.

Ankf00
01-30-08, 05:31 PM
What time zone are you in that your times are so wonky?
according to Comcast, Atlantic and Mtn time zones simultaneously.