PDA

View Full Version : Haas to IRL in 2009 ?

nissan gtp
01-25-08, 07:27 PM
This will up the ante.

from Autosport

Haas plans to move team to IRL

By Steven English Friday, January 25th 2008, 11:12 GMT

Champ Car team co-owner Carl Haas plans to take his multiple title-winning team to the rival IndyCar Series in 2009 if a merger between the two championships cannot be agreed before then.

Haas, who owns Champ Car's most successful team Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing with Paul Newman an Mike Lanigan, told SpeedTV: "It hasn't happened yet but we've certainly considered going.

"It may not happen this year, but it's highly probably that we'll go for 2009 because there needs to be one series."

There have been several unsuccessful attempts to unify Champ Car and IRL in the 13 years since they split, but with only Paul Tracy, Graham Rahal and Oriol Servia confirmed so far for Champ Car this season, Indy boss Tony George is rumoured to have proposed a new deal to Champ Car bosses.

Team PKV co-owner and 1996 Champ Car champion Jimmy Vasser is eager for the two series to unite as soon as possible: "We've got to make a deal with Tony George," he said.

But Conquest Racing boss Eric Bachelart believes there are still issues that prevent a successful merger: "The problem I see is that the IRL and Tony [George] would want control and that's tough for the Champ Car guys," he said.

TravelGal
01-25-08, 07:29 PM
Note that he waits until PLN is recovering from surgery to float this balloon. He's said he's going before and PLN stopped it. This is definitely tightening the screws though.

nissan gtp
01-25-08, 07:32 PM
Note that he waits until PLN is recovering from surgery to float this balloon. He's said he's going before and PLN stopped it. This is definitely tightening the screws though.

the PLN surgery thing is bogus BTW (thank goodness)

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 07:33 PM
Isn't that where RM got the quote from?

jonovision_man
01-25-08, 07:43 PM
Isn't that where RM got the quote from?

Other way around... they're quoting the RM article.

jono

Racing Truth
01-25-08, 07:56 PM
Other way around... they're quoting the RM article.

jono

Yep. Question: Why not do it now? Just end this cluster**** now.

KLang
01-25-08, 08:18 PM
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Haas still has indyitis.

I suspected they were heading that way when Lanigan came on board. I expect Newman is going to retire and McD's money probably goes away too. Strap on the FTG and Honda feedbag.

Insomniac
01-25-08, 09:51 PM
I think that is predicated on CC continuing down hill.

gjc2
01-25-08, 10:00 PM
I think that is predicated on CC continuing down hill.

Why would anyone expect '08 to be any better than '07? The grids wont be any bigger, the TV deal isn't any better, the 2007 season was Champ Car's last chance.

George

Methanolandbrats
01-26-08, 12:52 AM
No way Newman will set foot on those bricks again. He'll tell Haas to stick that dog rocket up his ass.

Insomniac
01-26-08, 12:13 PM
Why would anyone expect '08 to be any better than '07? The grids wont be any bigger, the TV deal isn't any better, the 2007 season was Champ Car's last chance.

George

I doubt many expect things to be the same or better. My point is, they aren't definitely jumping to the IRL in 2009. It's too early for that to be set in stone. A lot can happen between now and next season.

gjc2
01-26-08, 04:19 PM
I doubt many expect things to be the same or better. My point is, they aren't definitely jumping to the IRL in 2009. It's too early for that to be set in stone. A lot can happen between now and next season.

I hope you're rite

Spicoli
01-26-08, 06:14 PM
Craig hampsturd has Indy-itis and has for a long time. I also suspect that HoMoCo has a nice pile of cash to seduce them.

Does anyone knoe if mcDs comes back? What about other sponsors? Mwedi zone went tiddies up IIRC....

the gots anything?:(

Spicoli
01-27-08, 02:38 PM
Craig hampsturd has Indy-itis and has for a long time. I also suspect that HoMoCo has a nice pile of cash to seduce them.

Does anyone knoe if mcDs comes back? What about other sponsors? Mwedi zone went tiddies up IIRC....

not so good news i suppose. :( :thumdown:

Insomniac
01-27-08, 02:55 PM

Personally, I always found it odd that McDonald's sponsored Bourdais' car. He couldn't even say the company's name right. I guess winning was most important.

jonovision_man
01-27-08, 02:58 PM
It was more about Newman than Bourdais, wasn't it?

jono

oddlycalm
01-27-08, 03:24 PM
It was more about Newman than Bourdais, wasn't it?

jono Right, PN brought McDonalds through his Newman's own relationship.

oc

Duroc
01-27-08, 06:41 PM
I suspected they were heading that way when Lanigan came on board. I expect Newman is going to retire and McD's money probably goes away too.

Haas is 78, Paul 83. NHR is headed for the history books. I'm sure Laningan and Mi-Jack II will chase whatever handouts are available.