PDA

View Full Version : IPAs

Spicoli
01-25-08, 09:49 AM
I have recently become very enamored with the beer category of IPA. I have also reconized that many contain 8-9% alky. I'm very much a fan of the hop.

i must go oot and purchase some today, does anyone have any rec's?

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 09:52 AM
Yeah, AA. :)

extramundane
01-25-08, 10:07 AM
I have recently become very enamored with the beer category of IPA. I have also reconized that many contain 8-9% alky. I'm very much a fan of the hop.

Bell's Hopslam oughta be out soon. Might already be out up there, since you're close to the source. It's actually an IIPA, clocks in around 10% ABV, but it's as smooth as its 2-hearted younger brother. You'll drink way too much of it way too quickly. Cam may want to keep 1 finger on the Coventry button :D

Three Floyds out of Chicagoland has some good ones too. They call Alpha King a Pale Ale, but it's an IPA. They don't sell outside of IL & Indeeyanner no more though. :(

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 10:11 AM
Bell's Hopslam oughta be out soon. Might already be out up there, since you're close to the source. It's actually an IIPA, clocks in around 10% ABV, but it's as smooth as its 2-hearted younger brother. You'll drink way too much of it way too quickly. Cam may want to keep 1 finger on the Coventry button :D

Three Floyds out of Chicagoland has some good ones too. They call Alpha King a Pale Ale, but it's an IPA. They don't sell outside of IL & Indeeyanner no more though. :(

What's an 'IIPA'? An India India Pale Ale?

KLang
01-25-08, 10:23 AM
Full Sail IPA is one of my regular brews. I think the alcohol content is closer to 5% then 10% though.

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 10:31 AM
I want to try it!! I like beer. I have two certificates from ‘Budweiser Beer School’ from Busch Gardens (season ticket holders) so I have a trained pallet.

extramundane
01-25-08, 10:53 AM
What's an 'IIPA'? An India India Pale Ale?

Imperial IPA, aka Double IPA, which is exactly what it sounds like.

I have two certificates from ‘Budweiser Beer School’ from Busch Gardens (season ticket holders) so I have a trained pallet.

I've only got one, so you're twice the expert I am. I humbly bow out of this thread.

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 10:58 AM
Imperial IPA, aka Double IPA, which is exactly what it sounds like.

I've only got one, so you're twice the expert I am. I humbly bow out of this thread.

No e-m, we should exchange what we know. I can learn about the double IPA’s and in turn I can share what I know about Bud vs Bud Light.

Seriously though, where can one (one being me) get a decent mass distributed IPA and what would its name be?

extramundane
01-25-08, 11:25 AM
No e-m, we should exchange what we know. I can learn about the double IPA’s and in turn I can share what I know about Bud vs Bud Light.

I know all I need to about Bud Light: 7 of them are not a good idea before riding Apollo's Chariot.

Seriously though, where can one (one being me) get a decent mass distributed IPA and what would its name be?
A quick check through the ones I like shows that few have regular FL distributors, but...

Dogfish Head's got a whole line of pretty good IPAs. 90 Minute IPA & 120 Minute IPA are the best, but the 60 Minute isn't bad either.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is decent and should be pretty readily available down there.

There are probably some smaller local outfits that only sell locally/regionally down there too, but I've no clue who they may be.

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 11:35 AM
I know all I need to about Bud Light: 7 of them are not a good idea before riding Apollo's Chariot.

A quick check through the ones I like shows that few have regular FL distributors, but...

Dogfish Head's got a whole line of pretty good IPAs. 90 Minute IPA & 120 Minute IPA are the best, but the 60 Minute isn't bad either.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is decent and should be pretty readily available down there.

There are probably some smaller local outfits that only sell locally/regionally down there too, but I've no clue who they may be.

Excellent. Looking forward to tracking some down.

Maybe spickles will send us all a sampling of what he finds. Eh spic?

I'll PM you my addy. Thanks in advance!:)

Spicoli
01-25-08, 11:35 AM
There is another beer that got my attention this holiday season, and is Ooohh ssofa king good: Bells Winter White Ale. Yum.

Stevie Kahuana rec's some Arrogant Bastard, and is mighty fine. I really love me some Alberta Peak IPA made by Steamworks in Durango too. :thumbup:

extramundane
01-25-08, 11:42 AM
Stevie Kahuana rec's some Arrogant Bastard, and is mighty fine. I really love me some Alberta Peak IPA made by Steamworks in Durango too. :thumbup:

AB's good in small doses. You might like their (Stone's) Ruination IPA.

Spicoli
01-25-08, 11:43 AM
Excellent. Looking forward to tracking some down.

Maybe spickles will send us all a sampling of what he finds. Eh spic?

I'll PM you my addy. Thanks in advance!:)

sure. but you have to come here to get it.

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 11:53 AM
sure. but you have to come here to get it.

Ok. I'll follow the satellite pic to your house that rosco posted.:D

Ankf00
01-25-08, 11:57 AM
Rockies Brewing's Mojo. Now that's a well balanced IPA.

Warlock!
01-25-08, 12:21 PM
Stone Brewing Co's Ruination IPA. Every bit of 100 IBUs

http://www.genx40.com/images/2004c/ipa1.JPG

Dogfish Head's 90 Min IPA. I believe this is over 90 IBUs

http://www.genx40.com/images/beerblog/dfh90ipa1.JPG

Dirk Diggler
01-25-08, 01:05 PM
http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1270/1152611274_936ac86240_o.jpg

racermike
01-25-08, 01:07 PM
Dogfish Head IPA (any of them) are the best I think I have ever drank

High Sided
01-25-08, 01:49 PM

ipa?, try this 10% crap instead :eek:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1422/20705/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/40239.jpg

Cam
01-25-08, 06:53 PM
I want to try it!! I like beer. I have two certificates from ‘Budweiser Beer School’ from Busch Gardens (season ticket holders) so I have a trained pallet.

Budweiser and Busch schools of beerology? Did you take the short bus to get there?

Sorry Sean but I think you have been sold the Brooklyn bridge with those particular certs. :gomer:

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 07:14 PM
Budweiser and Busch schools of beerology? Did you take the short bus to get there?

Sorry Sean but I think you have been sold the Brooklyn bridge with those particular certs. :gomer:

Let me splain. Is true that I have two certificates from Budweiser Beer School, but is a total tongue in cheek intention. You see, there are two theme parks owned by Anheuser/Busch called Busch Gardens. Fine parks they are indeed. One of them is located in Williamsburg Virginia, just down the road from where I moved from last year and where extrememundane lives. The other one is down here in Tampa. I actually prefer them to Disney, but that's another thread.
Anyhoo, of course what is a theme park owned by the largest brewer in the world without a little beer propaganda? Exactly. So they have "beer school". You watch a 15 minute film about how the hops for brewing Budweiser actually comes from Belgium, from the same farm that has grown them for 100 years. Then they tell you how great A/B products are. Then they let you try their 'catalog', Bud, Bud Light, Mich, Mich Light, Mich Ultra, ad nausium. Then on your way out they give you a certificate saying that you passed 'beer school'. See, I'm an expert!

:D

eiregosod
01-25-08, 07:35 PM
. The other one is down here in Tampa. I actually prefer them to Disney, but that's another thread.

Us beer hounds want to know why :D

Cam
01-25-08, 07:41 PM
See, I'm an expert!

Your honor, my case rests! :D

Ex = Has been, Spurt = drip under pressure. ;) AB products do NOT pass by these lips. :gomer:

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 07:49 PM
Us beer hounds want to know why :D

Note that Disney's Epcot Center has Becks on tap in the faux 'German' area. They have Sapporo in the Japanese section and some Moroccan beer in the, yep, Morocco section. I was surprised actually. It made the day go by better.

Busch Gardens only has A/B products of course. But on a hot day full of rides and whatever else we do there, a cold Bud hits the spot. Sorry...but it does.:(

Cam
01-25-08, 07:55 PM
Note that Disney's Epcot Center has Becks on tap in the faux 'German' area. They have Sapporo in the Japanese section and some Moroccan beer in the, yep, Morocco section. I was surprised actually. It made the day go by better.

3 guesses what the have in the Australia section, and the first 2 don't count. :rolleyes: :puke:

Sean Malone
01-25-08, 07:59 PM
3 guesses what the have in the Australia section, and the first 2 don't count. :rolleyes: :puke:

They don't have an OZ section. They figgered no one would want to walk around an acre of sand. :D I would though, Cam, I would.

extramundane
01-25-08, 09:05 PM
Let me splain. Is true that I have two certificates from Budweiser Beer School, but is a total tongue in cheek intention. You see, there are two theme parks owned by Anheuser/Busch called Busch Gardens. Fine parks they are indeed. One of them is located in Williamsburg Virginia, just down the road from where I moved from last year and where extrememundane lives. The other one is down here in Tampa. I actually prefer them to Disney, but that's another thread.
Anyhoo, of course what is a theme park owned by the largest brewer in the world without a little beer propaganda? Exactly. So they have "beer school". You watch a 15 minute film about how the hops for brewing Budweiser actually comes from Belgium, from the same farm that has grown them for 100 years. Then they tell you how great A/B products are. Then they let you try their 'catalog', Bud, Bud Light, Mich, Mich Light, Mich Ultra, ad nausium. Then on your way out they give you a certificate saying that you passed 'beer school'. See, I'm an expert!

I might further add for the uninitiated that this particular exercise is a freebie, so on a hot summer day, you get to sit in the A/C for 30-40 minutes with no annoying kids & teens running around and drink what equates to 3-4 beers for free. If that's not worthy of expert status and a certificate, nothing is.

They get upset if you go twice in a row, though. :\

eiregosod
01-25-08, 09:30 PM

streuth, XXXX XXXX XXXX

****ing swear filter :mad:

:gomer:

dando
01-26-08, 11:13 AM

Busch Gardens only has A/B products of course. But on a hot day full of rides and whatever else we do there, a cold Bud hits the spot. Sorry...but it does.:(

You forgot the Brit pavilion has a nice pub serving numerous tasty Brit brews. Plus, saki and sushi in Japan is quite tasty as well. Italy and France of course have a fine wine selection. Not sure about the Mexico pavilion. They also have a wine festival in the fall with numerous booths serving wines from around the world and local cuisine tastes.

Not to thread jack, but Di$ney vs. Busch is an apple and orange comparison, as one is more of a thrill park than the other. Disney is designed to appeal to a broader audience, while the thrill parks are more for thrill seekers (much like Kings Island and Cedar Park here in oHIo). I like them both, but Di$ney excites the kid in me, and seeing our daughters light up seeing Mickey, the Princesses, etc. was pricele$$. Di$ney does have a few newer thrill rides, but they don't compare to the new massive coasters @ the other parks. Mission Space is a nice ride...messes some peeps up, but didn't bother me a bit.

BOT, while in India I developed a taste for the Kingfisher. Nice brew and about the only damn thing worth traveling out there for (besides meeting the nice, incompetent peeps that now have many of my former co-workers jobs). :saywhat:

I'm not bitter, really. :irked:

And, yes, all hail the fizzy yeller beer on a hot summer day. :)

-Kevin

dando
01-26-08, 02:54 PM
Sean, Whole Foods (aka: Whole Paycheck) and Fresh Market have awesome selections of regional beers. I picked up some Ruination and Dogfish 90 today @ Whole Foods. Dogfish == tasty. :thumbup: Not sure IPA is my favorite style, but it's darn good stuff. Anyway, I see you have Fresh Market locations in the Tampa area, but no Whole Foods. You do have a Wild Oats location, which was recently acquired by Whole Foods. They may have a similar selection as Whole Foods now. Gotta give some love to the favorite name I saw today: Old Leg Humper. :thumbup:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/thirsty-dog-old-leghumper/13613/

Local brew to boot, and porter is one of my faves.

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-26-08, 05:17 PM
I like tall blondes but for me it's a question of balance. A 50 IBU beer can taste overly bitter and a 100 IBU beer just right depending on the amount of malt used. For some folks too much is never enough. That why you come across IPA's that taste like they were made with strychnine instead of hops and Pinot Noirs that are like putting a teaspoon full or alum in your mouth...:rolleyes:

oc

stroker
01-26-08, 05:50 PM
It's beer. It ultimately ends up in the toilet bowl or on the bushes behind the house.

Gimme more.

:p

cameraman
01-26-08, 05:55 PM
Mebbe so but I think it shouldn't taste like piss until after I drink it.

Spicoli
01-26-08, 06:06 PM
Mebbe so but I think it shouldn't taste like piss until after I drink it.

So true.

Tonight's lineup:

http://i28.tinypic.com/263iur7.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/ip7gnq.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/30abbbp.jpg

:bujrp:

Cam
01-26-08, 06:20 PM
Had a microbrew wheat beer from Margaret River yesterday. I like a good wheat beer but it was no Heifeweissen. Very watery... :irked:

dando
01-26-08, 08:45 PM
Spickly after 10 pm:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........burp..............

-Kevin

Spicoli
01-26-08, 08:52 PM
Spickly after 10 pm:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........burp..............

-Kevin

Still there, still there. inside, inside.:thumbup:

manic mechanic
01-26-08, 09:31 PM

:laugh:

Judging by your face when you had a shot of Great Lakes IPA at RA, I thought you were a "fizzy yellow beer" type.

Re: "Tonight's Lineup":

Take the Beck's first or last... You won't taste it either way.

Hope you like my "cousin" Steve's beers (Stone). I'm not impressed with Ruination (IMHO, I brew as good an IPA as that... I can overhop a brown ale!). Stone IPA, AB, and Sierra are "house" brews around here.

There are plenty of good IPAs and DIPAs on the market right now. Don't miss Sprecher's IPA2.

I toast the refinement of your pallet. :D

manic

Spicoli
01-26-08, 10:07 PM
:laugh:

Judging by your face when you had a shot of Great Lakes IPA at RA, I thought you were a "fizzy yellow beer" type.

Re: "Tonight's Lineup":

Take the Beck's first or last... You won't taste it either way.

Hope you like my "cousin" Steve's beers (Stone). I'm not impressed with Ruination (IMHO, I brew as good an IPA as that... I can overhop a brown ale!). Stone IPA, AB, and Sierra are "house" brews around here.

There are plenty of good IPAs and DIPAs on the market right now. Don't miss Sprecher's IPA2.

I toast the refinement of your pallet. :D

manic

I am one refined modder fucgder i have you know.

still there, still there.

aded a shot of Jager just now to mix it up a wee bit. :gomer:

High Sided
01-26-08, 11:00 PM
when you think of st. louis you think ab. we have also in this town "the st. louis brewery" (Schlafly). Schafly is in all the stores and 90% of the bars on tap in st. louis. ab hates em and won't allow them to participate in our october fest. dam good beer. curious if they are known outside of st. louis?
http://www.schlafly.com/brewpubs.shtml

extramundane
01-26-08, 11:12 PM
still there, still there.

aded a shot of Jager just now to mix it up a wee bit. :gomer:

Add some Jager to the still theres and only one thing can happen...

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7954/atlantacrash1wy4.jpg

Sean Malone
01-26-08, 11:19 PM

Ah, now there's the IRL I love. Back when you could always count on a fireball seen from space to livin' things up. :)

stroker
01-26-08, 11:33 PM
when you think of st. louis you think ab. we have also in this town "the st. louis brewery" (Schlafly). Schafly is in all the stores and 90% of the bars on tap in st. louis. ab hates em and won't allow them to participate in our october fest. dam good beer. curious if they are known outside of st. louis?
http://www.schlafly.com/brewpubs.shtml

I LOVE Schlafly Stout. Too bad the local Old Chicago closed and I can't get it on draft any more...

Spicoli
01-26-08, 11:51 PM
inside inside.....

+1 = me.

:drinky:

Spicoli
01-26-08, 11:55 PM

you know, wtf was wrong with that version of the Vi$$ion$? Gomers in bulky sleds dukin it out on NeckTard speedways chasin graters? please, all 'mericans dribin cars with acktyual sponsors on the side? low budgie Boats and Roes and Dismores and Beechlers?

no, that wasn;t good enuf for Tony the Tard, now was it. :thumdown: :shakehead

Sean Malone
01-27-08, 12:10 AM
you know, wtf was wrong with that version of the Vi$$ion$? Gomers in bulky sleds dukin it out on NeckTard speedways chasin graters? please, all 'mericans dribin cars with acktyual sponsors on the side? low budgie Boats and Roes and Dismores and Beechlers?

no, that wasn;t good enuf for Tony the Tard, now was it. :thumdown: :shakehead

Was kinda fun in retrospect. Its when Tony decided he wanted to be CART 2 that it really started to suck. And no matter how much the gomers deny it, they miss it very much indeed.

Watching boxing on HBO. American vs Russian. It's like Rocky, but he's black and named Eddie. :)

Ankf00
01-27-08, 12:26 PM
So true.

Tonight's lineup:

http://i28.tinypic.com/263iur7.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/ip7gnq.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/30abbbp.jpg

:bujrp:

where's the pipe? :confused:

Spicoli
01-27-08, 02:38 PM
Thet's Peter Olenick on the pipe you knuckledragger. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-27-08, 02:56 PM
Thet's Peter Olenick on the pipe you knuckledragger. :gomer: Was'tn the type of pipe I was thinking of when I read "where's the pipe?". :D

cyclepath
01-28-08, 11:15 PM
If hops is what you want, one of the best! Sam Adams' Hallertaur Imperial Pilsner.. nice!!!!!!
or brew your own!!!:)