PDA

View Full Version : Hurdles at Work

OW
01-23-08, 09:44 PM
Anybody been working (struggling) on something You KNOW is the right thing to do for work...but it had to be on your own back burner..? And took months?

But then.....You found it and IT WORKED? And you now present (share) a new Paradigm for the department (or Business Unit)? No one argues...

This happened to me just in the last week....(had time to research on my own time during the MLK weekend)(extra day)

Mine is technical... but I think it would also work for sales, management, HR processes, art.....or anything...

It's a good feeling?

Anybody? Am I making sense here?

trish
01-23-08, 09:54 PM
Congrats! Just put it on your list of reasons why you deserve a pay increase. Make sure to include how much money you saved the company by converting to this new process.

devilmaster
01-23-08, 10:22 PM
A couple of friends own a nice little pizzeria, and due to what could be called a bad year personally for them (injury, family death, new job for one of them), they had let their pizzeria fall into some disrepair.

I've been working as the GM for the past few months now, and going through my own version of a 'restaurant makeover' (canuck tv show) which has been long days - 12+ almost every day serving/cooking/shopping - and then at night working on a new menu with proper cost analysis and budget work and learning the books and finding new suppliers and such on my own time.

As much as I b**ch and moan about the amount of work, etc.etc. I know the work I've done is needed for the restaurant to survive - some menu prices haven't been touched in the 15 odd years its been open.

It hopefully will work out in the end, as they have decided to sell, and I told them that they need not look any further than the guy running it for them. They like the idea, and are willing to sell for a decent price less than open market because its a small family (~6 employees) and they still love the place, but they feel its time to move on.

kinda why i haven't been round here much. how's the offseason going? :saywhat:

Sean Malone
01-23-08, 10:28 PM
A couple of friends own a nice little pizzeria, and due to what could be called a bad year personally for them (injury, family death, new job for one of them), they had let their pizzeria fall into some disrepair.

I've been working as the GM for the past few months now, and going through my own version of a 'restaurant makeover' (canuck tv show) which has been long days - 12+ almost every day serving/cooking/shopping - and then at night working on a new menu with proper cost analysis and budget work and learning the books and finding new suppliers and such on my own time.

As much as I b**ch and moan about the amount of work, etc.etc. I know the work I've done is needed for the restaurant to survive - some menu prices haven't been touched in the 15 odd years its been open.

It hopefully will work out in the end, as they have decided to sell, and I told them that they need not look any further than the guy running it for them. They like the idea, and are willing to sell for a decent price less than open market because its a small family (~6 employees) and they still love the place, but they feel its time to move on.

kinda why i haven't been round here much. how's the offseason going? :saywhat:

they've merged. ;)

OW
01-24-08, 12:41 AM
they've merged. ;)

Sean......:D :D :D