PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Oliver - Chicken Slaughterer.

Sean Malone
01-23-08, 04:26 PM
I read today that Jamie Oliver (TV’s Naked Chef) recently televised a show where he slaughters a chicken as an eye opening mechanism in response to public outcry for less expensive chicken. The ‘event’ was organized by Jamie to explain that a chicken is a living creature who should be treated humanely, and slaughtered humanly on free range farms where the theory is that free range promotes ‘happy’ animals. Many chefs believe ‘happy’ animals produce a better quality product.

Jamie recently obtained his UK slaughter certification and during his show he demonstrated various slaughter methods done by the large commercial farms. Not pretty stuff. Jamie circles back around to explain that the meat consuming public should not only understand how and where the animals they consume live, but how they are raised and be willing to pay a premium price in celebration of the animal and the support of humane farming. After the show, reports were that free range chickens and eggs had sold record amounts.

The article went on to explain that animal ‘life cycle’ mentality is the new trend de jour in the culinary world. It’s not enough for the world’s top chefs to simply know the breed of chicken, they now need to understand, if not be involved with the chickens life and death.

I thought this was rather interesting.

Mmmm…chicken.

nissan gtp
01-23-08, 04:40 PM
now I want to visit KFC :D

dando
01-23-08, 04:46 PM
now I want to visit KFC :D

Nah. Daddy wants real chicken wings....BW3 == yum! :thumbup: :)

I'll be impressed whan Rachel Ray slaughters a chicken. :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
01-23-08, 05:12 PM
IMO anything that makes that public aware of common agribusiness factory farm practices that are more like Chinese airline maintenance practices is a good thing. Jamie's segment partially qualifies.

oc

Gnam
01-23-08, 05:18 PM
:D ...or tries to save a rooster using CPR.

TKGAngel
01-23-08, 05:22 PM

-Kevin

While I won't argue the yumminess of BW3 wings, they don't compare to the wings found at any local pizza joint.

But back on topic...In addition to what Sean posted, one of the big trends is "local" food. People are encouraged to buy produce and meats that are locally grown and produced. One of the local grocery stores even puts up signs showing what local farm grew each veggie. In addition to supporting your local economy by buying the local stuff, its also better for the planet, as you're not paying for shipping costs of those apples from Washington or wherever.

eiregosod
01-23-08, 05:34 PM
I saw "Chicken Week" on Channel4 television. WHile Jamie Oliver did kill a chicken on television, the heavy work to show how chickens are reared was done by a chap called Hugh fearnsley WHittingstall. He had 3 one hour programs showing people the methods used to rear the cheap chickens they buy. http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/river-cottage/hughs-chicken-run/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-talks-chicken-08-01-03_p_1.html

Later that week, Oliver did a cook show, where he made up meals from the offal etc.. and he showed how a chicken is killed. All chcikens, organic, free range, sweatshop are killed the same way. I'm all ears to the official offcamber methods on how to cull and pluck chickens. :p

redmist
01-23-08, 05:38 PM
i feel no pity. don't kid yourselves, those chickens would kill and eat you, first chance they got.;)

High Sided
01-23-08, 05:39 PM
here is how he does it
20W_R-wWFA8

TravelGal
01-23-08, 05:40 PM
Reminds me of "La Buena Mesa" the cookbook I bought years ago in Colombia. Most of the chicken recipes began with "First go out and kill the chicken."

Methanolandbrats
01-23-08, 05:42 PM
No one dies to make a Taco Bell Burrito :thumbup:

cameraman
01-23-08, 05:42 PM
When you consider that most small groceries have been put out of business by the likes of Kroger's and that even they are under very heavy pressure from Walmart and Costco, you quickly come to the realization that 99% of the population of this country doesn't give a damn about anything other than cents/pound. People watch the show, get all upset and immediately forget about it as soon as they see "Save $0.29/lb on boneless chick breasts at your local Walmart Super Center".

eiregosod
01-23-08, 05:50 PM
I read today that Jamie Oliver (TV’s Naked Chef) recently televised a show where he slaughters a chicken as an eye opening mechanism in response to public outcry for less expensive chicken. The ‘event’ was organized by Jamie to explain that a chicken is a living creature who should be treated humanely, and slaughtered humanly on free range farms where the theory is that free range promotes ‘happy’ animals. Many chefs believe ‘happy’ animals produce a better quality product.

Jamie recently obtained his UK slaughter certification and during his show he demonstrated various slaughter methods done by the large commercial farms. Not pretty stuff. Jamie circles back around to explain that the meat consuming public should not only understand how and where the animals they consume live, but how they are raised and be willing to pay a premium price in celebration of the animal and the support of humane farming. After the show, reports were that free range chickens and eggs had sold record amounts.

The article went on to explain that animal ‘life cycle’ mentality is the new trend de jour in the culinary world. It’s not enough for the world’s top chefs to simply know the breed of chicken, they now need to understand, if not be involved with the chickens life and death.

I thought this was rather interesting.

Mmmm…chicken.
you should demand a refund from your newspaper because some of that is garbage. Oliver showed one method how chickens are killed not "various" methods. the method shown on the show is used by both intensive and free range farms.

eiregosod
01-23-08, 05:52 PM
When you consider that most small groceries have been put out of business by the likes of Kroger's and that even they are under very heavy pressure from Walmart and Costco, you quickly come to the realization that 99% of the population of this country doesn't give a damn about anything other than cents/pound. People watch the show, get all upset and immediately forget about it as soon as they see "Save $0.29/lb on boneless chick breasts at your local Walmart Super Center".

the farmers only make 3p per bird. thats the extent that they've been shafted by the large supermarkets.

cameraman
01-23-08, 05:52 PM
you should demand a refund from your newspaper because some of that is garbage.

Welcome to America.

TravelGal
01-23-08, 05:57 PM
Mild hijack and plug for Tysons chickens. They agreed last year (under intense pressure from the Union of Concerned Scientists) to stop using antibiotics to fatten up their chickens. This is good news for humans who have been ingesting the antibiotics and thereby becoming immune to their effects.

You may now return to slaughter and mayhem.

dando
01-23-08, 06:28 PM
Mild hijack and plug for Tysons chickens. They agreed last year (under intense pressure from the Union of Concerned Scientists) to stop using antibiotics to fatten up their chickens. This is good news for humans who have been ingesting the antibiotics and thereby becoming immune to their effects.

Yup. 'tis what I buy now. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
01-23-08, 06:44 PM

-Kevin

BW3 wings taste like ass...:thumdown:

TrueBrit
01-23-08, 06:44 PM
No one dies to make a Taco Bell Burrito :thumbup:

:D

dando
01-23-08, 06:46 PM
taste like ass...:thumdown:

I wouldn't know. I've never partaken of that sort of delicacy. Must be the Brit cuisine thing again. :gomer: :p ;)

-Kevin

trish
01-23-08, 06:47 PM
I feel like chicken tonight. :rofl:

nrc
01-23-08, 07:24 PM
http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/ChickFila01Lg.preview.jpg
http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/ChickfilAPeeceLg.preview.jpg

trish
01-23-08, 07:28 PM
I've never eaten there. What do they serve?

OW
01-23-08, 09:02 PM
What?....ok my chicken comes in a little rougher packaging....

But ...Oh boy...My HAM comes in cute little packages...

Is there an animal involved?

dando
01-23-08, 09:24 PM
I've never eaten there. What do they serve?

Everything chikin xcpet chikin shakes:

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#menu

EDIT: better down south than they are in the north. :\

-Kevin

jonovision_man
01-23-08, 11:17 PM
Audience = city slickers. :)

jono

Dirk Diggler
01-24-08, 09:05 PM
BW3 wings taste like ass...:thumdown:

Surely you mean arse?

RichK
01-24-08, 09:45 PM
What?....ok my chicken comes in a little rougher packaging....

But ...Oh boy...My HAM comes in cute little packages...

Is there an animal involved?

A wonderful, magical animal.

chop456
01-25-08, 12:06 AM
i feel no pity. don't kid yourselves, those chickens would kill and eat you, first chance they got.;)

:thumbup: