PDA

View Full Version : Arrive and drive, with a twist

JLMannin
05-12-03, 05:43 PM
I was listening to WIBC on Sunday and one of the guys asked the rhetorical question "What's to stop somebody from running four laps at 180 just to make sure they make the race?" One of the co-hosts answered him :rolleyes:

Just to show us just how smart he is, Barnhart appearantly instituted a 94% rule - you have to post a speed at least 94% of the pole speed to partake in the arrive and drive 500. I don't have a link for this, I heard it on the radio.

They were also running down the list of drivers we may see try to qualify next Sunday. They were naming off just about anybody with a competition license that has been wearing a drivers suit at indy in the last month. Even at that, they only had nine names.

There won't be 33 this year, and I am certain of that.

Napoleon
05-12-03, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
There won't be 33 this year, and I am certain of that.

Damn shame.

Railbird
05-12-03, 09:00 PM
While a full field is certainly not a sure thing, I wouldn't bet against it.

A couple of checks here and there and the next thing you know....

Drivers and tubs are a dime a dozen, it's the engine deals that have to be handled.

Honda is fresh out

Toyota has a few for 350/300 thousand with an established team, 600 thousnad for a start up.

The GM slug is less than two bills if anyone is intersted.

SteveH
05-12-03, 10:29 PM
Given the difference between the cost of a Toyota and a Chevy and considering the chances of a second weekend qualifier actually winning, I'd take the Chevy and put it on cruise on raceday. Considering the normal amount of attrition, if one minds their business and not get too cute, a top ten is not beyond reality.

Ziggy
05-13-03, 01:05 AM
ATTENTION IN THE GARAGE AREA, ATTENTION IN THE GARAGE AREA, WOULD EITHER TYCE CARLSON OR JON HERB REPORT TO GARAGE #43??? PLEASE BRING YOUR BRIEFCASE, AND MAKE SURE IT HAS 300K INSIDE.........

Ziggy