PDA

View Full Version : What have they done right?

jonovision_man
01-23-08, 02:07 PM
What has management got right since taking over ChampCar from CART?

I'll start:

Atlantics. From the beginning they seemed to understand the need for a strong feeder series, and the program to help them graduate drivers to ChampCar is a good idea. The Matos thing is a setback, hopefully they go back and re-evaluate what made them put so much focus on Atlantics in the first place... it was the right move.

jono

nrc
01-23-08, 02:17 PM
The new car is a complete success in my view.

They've gotten back to Road America, may get back to Laguna Seca, and they've stayed in Portland and Cleveland in spite of some challenges.

G.
01-23-08, 02:19 PM
(several layers of Nomex required...)

I'm a fan of them hiring Cotman. Even with mistakes/perceived favoritism, really, there was a LOT less bitching about him than other directors. Accorse, maybe that's cuz there's less of US.

Didn't work out so well.

The DP01 is a damn good car. Love to see competition, but it's a nice car.

RA.

Adapting mid-season to fans/what works or not. They seemed more open to change up when they needed to. (Can't do that when there's many manufacturers, I guess. ie., Spacergate. Easy when it is all spec.)

(cinches Nomex tighter)

I LIKE the damn PtoP, OK? Sorry, I do. Again, something you can only Officially do when it's spec.
And Option Tires.
Vegas Street race was awesome, RIP.

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 02:31 PM
Buying LB, TO and Cosworth still look to be good ideas. They almost certainly wouldn't be still breathing without them and with them there is always something to talk about with TG.

Cleveland has really been improved over the last few years.

Agree on Atlantics bot in terms of the car, getting Mazda on board and the prize. My critique would be that the prize has not proven big enough. It would have been nice to see it also come with a 2 million associate sponsorship that could be taken to a team. That would close the deal for certain and raise the profile for the reigning Atlantics champ because he/she would be associated with the same sponsorship on a single car every year (e.g., the Aussie Vineyards/Mazda car)

dando
01-23-08, 02:34 PM
(several layers of Nomex required...)

I'm a fan of them hiring Cotman. Even with mistakes/perceived favoritism, really, there was a LOT less bitching about him than other directors. Accorse, maybe that's cuz there's less of US.

Didn't work out so well.

The DP01 is a damn good car. Love to see competition, but it's a nice car.

RA.

Adapting mid-season to fans/what works or not. They seemed more open to change up when they needed to. (Can't do that when there's many manufacturers, I guess. ie., Spacergate. Easy when it is all spec.)

(cinches Nomex tighter)

I LIKE the damn PtoP, OK? Sorry, I do. Again, something you can only Officially do when it's spec.
And Option Tires.
Vegas Street race was awesome, RIP.

I'll add the standing starts and buying Cozzie. :thumbup:

I would also add adding the Euro tour, but I missed 'em both. :irked:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 02:37 PM
I'd also add adding Mt Tremblaunt. Beautiful setting, fun track, good first race, I can attend.

We'll see how it does commerically

dando
01-23-08, 02:40 PM
I'd also add adding Mt Tremblaunt. Beautiful setting, fun track, good first race, I can attend.

Ah, yes. That one was a good nap. :)

-Kevin

robot9000
01-23-08, 02:41 PM
New Atlantics Car (Why can't they get CC to suceed when Atlantics can? )

DP01- Seems to address eveything they wanted to do. Mostly (COUGH!!onboardstartersCough!!!) :)

Standing Starts - I still think rolling starts are what helped define CART/American racing, but I can't argue with the amout of Cabon Fibre saved. I didn't think it would work, and I was way off.

Tony Cotman - did a stand up job in Race Control. Too bad he left.

Option Tire - I think it added a nice bit of drama to the mix.

Going back to RA amd Laguna.

Insomniac
01-23-08, 03:06 PM
The new chassis and driving down costs. They are on the right track there. Still need to get it lower. I don't know where the biggest expenses still remain, but if you could run a 2-car team for say $10M over 3 years, that would be good, I think.

Ultimately, they need to do the things that can get them 22+ cars on the grid, consistent driver line-ups year to year and good on track racing. If they can get there, then the public will decide if they have a chance or not.

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 03:33 PM
Getting the costs down was important but I doubt you could build a car with the performance fans expect for much less.

This thread is supposed to be about what they've done right, but thing(s) they didn't and must do, is create more value for teams, promoters, and sponsors.

$10million for a two car team is a good goal but you've got create the situation where there is $10 million/per team in value created through some mixture of prize money, series sponsorship, team sponsorship, personal sponorship, sanction fees, corporate partnership, tickets, adverstising, etc. Many of these are interelated/interdependent but they aren't close.

jonovision_man
01-23-08, 04:40 PM

That's the problem... I like to see Laguna back too, but they left for a reason and are only back due to failure in San Jose.

Road America - that one I agree with, no matter how few people are there... it's an absolute must if you're going to be a US OW road racing series. KK recognized that one I think.

I can't remember all the history of who started it and expanded it to what it is now, but the Camel Toe competition is a good idea too... :)

jono

JT265
01-23-08, 06:51 PM
That's the problem... I like to see Laguna back too, but they left for a reason and are only back due to failure in San Jose.

Road America - that one I agree with, no matter how few people are there... it's an absolute must if you're going to be a US OW road racing series. KK recognized that one I think.

I can't remember all the history of who started it and expanded it to what it is now, but the Camel Toe competition is a good idea too... :)

jono

Thank you. Thank you very much. Oh WAIT!!! Did you mean the official one? :rofl:

Gnam
01-23-08, 07:32 PM
This thread is supposed to be about what they've done right...
Less doubt about the schedule.
1. No Assen, China, or TBA on the '08 schedule.
2. No FIA problems.
3. No Sheriff of Maricopa County holding his ears.

opinionated ow
01-24-08, 10:06 AM
umm.....
-Replacing one spec formula atlantic chassis with another spec formula atlantic chassis.....

and apart from that, I have nothing. spec engines, spec chassis, street races, no ovals, standing starts, no prize money, guess the driver grids, changing the rules to "fia international code" but not actually doing so. i could go on with the negatives but that will do.

greenie
01-24-08, 02:38 PM
Buying Long Beach and keeping it out of the earl's clutches (albeit momentarily)

Ziggy
01-25-08, 08:51 AM
Printed a very nice media guide/record book :rofl:

stroker
01-26-08, 12:31 PM
I think I would put at the top of the "Done Right" list was the apparent willingness to try to do something new. They didn't always pick the right thing, and some of their choices didn't work out, but at least they were willing to try to do something new.

I think they're due for a double helping of "Something New" real soon or they're all done.

G.
01-27-08, 01:14 AM
Free subscriptions to Racer and Autoweek for Inner Circle members.:thumbup:

Not a huge thing, but I thought it was cool.

EDwardo
01-27-08, 01:29 AM
Race Director. It was and is a great concept even though it is far from perfect.
Live timing and scoring, several in car cameras, driver to pit radio (when it worked) no commercials, and an audio track with the only audio being a screaming Cosworth turbo and all for about $2 a race.
And RD also had live broadcasts of the Atlantics too.

OW
01-27-08, 01:37 AM
^^^

Yes..I remember one of the coolest things was when, in, one of the Practices the Camera crew was practicing All-Around track coverage....and with NO Annoucer..yet all...engine sounds...it was Quite Unique..

(I may have even posted a comment back then) Don't remember which race (last year) off the top of my head .... But I Remember that too...

gjc2
01-27-08, 08:25 PM
What have they done right?

not enough

formulaben
01-27-08, 09:48 PM
Free subscriptions to Racer and Autoweek for Inner Circle members.:thumbup:

Not a huge thing, but I thought it was cool.

WOW, talk about sleeping with the enemy. :eek:

Methanolandbrats
01-28-08, 01:27 PM
Done right: natural terrain road courses, the car and the motor.

G.
01-28-08, 01:34 PM
WOW, talk about sleeping with the enemy. :eek:
Besides Racer 'shopping crowd into earl pics, what's wrong with them and Autoweek?

Besides, the Amigos would never steer me wrong! If they think that I should get the 2 mags., then, as a real fan,, I should read them cover-to-cover, right?:)

G.
01-28-08, 01:35 PM
WOW, talk about sleeping with the enemy. :eek:double

Indy
01-28-08, 06:53 PM
Done right: natural terrain road courses, the car and the motor.

The car and the motor! Too little power, too much downforce, spec car and spec motor? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...