PDA

View Full Version : neel jani going for championship....

High Sided
01-23-08, 11:05 AM
in a1gp
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/42660/

ouch

Methanolandbrats
01-23-08, 11:30 AM
Did he drive a Champ Car? What color was it? :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 11:51 AM
That's the first I've seen in mainline press that the Red Bull deal was compensation for dropping Cosworth engines. That was widely spread internet rumor though.

Jani had his moments but without RB money tied to him there are others who could do better. Matos comes to mind but I think KK would lose some friends if he took the $2 million for himself. In the end I am surprised Matos didn't land at PCM or Conquest

Spicoli
01-23-08, 12:16 PM
That's the first I've seen in mainline press that the Red Bull deal was compensation for dropping Cosworth engines. That was widely spread internet rumor though.

Jani had his moments but without RB money tied to him there are others who could do better. Matos comes to mind but I think KK would lose some friends if he took the $2 million for himself. In the end I am surprised Matos didn't land at PCM or Conquest

Matos was told to go to RocketLosers. He said "bye", got an offer at AGR. I think the moeny defaults to Perrera.

Where's everyone's prize money from last year? :gomer:

G.
01-23-08, 12:35 PM
Phillips on Matos.

Sorry for the hijax...

it was about MONEY???:gomer: (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/42652/)

Like peeling an onion, the more you take apart the Rafael Matos deal with Andretti Green Racing the more you find to take apart. Obviously, in eschewing a Champ Car ride in 2008, Matos and agent John Caponigro dealt a rabbit punch to the Champ Car World Series and the Champ Car Atlantic Championship, of which the affable Brazilian is the reigning champion and because of which he had $2 million of “in-kind” support to bring to a Champ Car program this year. What message does it send to current and/or aspiring Atlantic drivers that Matos found AGR’s offer of a season of Indy Pro Series competition (coupled with Indy Car testing and the potential of an IndyCar ride in ’09) more appealing than anything he could get in Champ Car . . . even with $2 million in his pocket?

STD
01-23-08, 01:10 PM
A1GP drivers seem to get paid to drive as an added bonus. :eek:

eiregosod
01-23-08, 01:20 PM
Johnny Reid will win the A1GP,

Jani has been kicking ass all year, but he still has a lot to learn.

eiregosod
01-23-08, 01:22 PM
Where's everyone's prize money from last year? :gomer:

the super ***** dont come cheap.

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 01:24 PM
Phillips on Matos.

I read that twice. Someone please explain to me how Matos going to IPS is bad for IPS. He's there explicitly to get oval experience and unless he can't figure that out he's a pretty sure bet to get the next seat at AGR. And he'll get paid so long as Honda is around.

That's kinda how it's supposed to work, no?

G.
01-23-08, 01:33 PM
I read that twice. Someone please explain to me how Matos going to IPS is bad for IPS. He's there explicitly to get oval experience and unless he can't figure that out he's a pretty sure bet to get the next seat at AGR. And he'll get paid so long as Honda is around.

That's kinda how it's supposed to work, no?Don't get that either.

dando
01-23-08, 01:38 PM

Sure, ’03 IPS champion Mark Taylor got an IndyCar ride with Panther Racing, but he soon vanished. Likewise, Jeff Simmons got a ride with Rahal Letterman Racing only to be replaced midway through the ’07 season by Champ Car refugee (and former Atlantic standout) Ryan Hunter-Reay. Yes, ’07 IPS champion Alex Lloyd has inked a driver development deal with Target Chip Ganassi Racing and, yes, Hideki Mutoh replaces Dario Franchitti on AGR’s IndyCar team in ’08. Oh, and Jay Howard will partner fellow IPS alumni “Mad Dog” Marty Roth on his eponymous Indy Car team this coming season . . .

Isolated cases of nepotism and spotty success aside, the reality is the IPS has not delivered talent to the IndyCar Series. Just ask ’05 IPS champion Wade Cunningham. You’ll recall he signed a deal with AGR similar to that of Matos . . . and has since joined Taylor and Thiago Medeiros in IPS champion limbo.

So while it makes sense for Matos (who has two IPS street circuit wins but no oval track experience to speak of) to get his speedway feet wet in IPS, by plucking him from the Champ Car feeder system AGR has, arguably, diminished both Atlantic and the IPS, first by revealing the shortcomings of the Atlantic championship prize and, second, by confirming the irrelevance of the IPS.

My take is that Phillips is saying that there is no guarantee that will be the case based on the past history of IPS champs. Simply put, the IPS has not been a ladder into the EARL w/o family or other connections.

-Kevin

jonovision_man
01-23-08, 01:39 PM

I think he's saying that there are guys winning in IPS right now who should be in line for IRL rides, but instead AGR went outside of the current crop of guys to parachute in Matos.

That's a stretch... putting the guy in IPS shows faith in IPS, IMO.

jono

Fio1
01-23-08, 01:45 PM
There is another side to the Matos coin. Someone has been sponsoring this kid the last couple of years. He's been doing a lot of driving and always with top equipment. He's also been doing a lot of one offs like IPS, Sebring 12-Hours, etc. So, who's forking the bill for that? Maybe this guy/company wanted him to do the Indy 500? Maybe that is the reason behind his decision. Someone has to be paying for his IPS season and Indy 500 campaign. At the end of the day, what do you do take a 1 year CCWS ride with Rocketsport or stay with your long time supporter and do IPS/IRL? This is a no brainer! :cool:

G.
01-23-08, 02:10 PM
My take is that Phillips is saying that there is no guarantee that will be the case based on the past history of IPS champs. Simply put, the IPS has not been a ladder into the EARL w/o family or other connections.

-Kevin
but how is that bad for the ImPS?

It really won't point out the failure of the ImPS ladder trail, since the 4 or 5 of us already know that, no one else cares.

dando
01-23-08, 02:30 PM
but how is that bad for the ImPS?

It really won't point out the failure of the ImPS ladder trail, since the 4 or 5 of us already know that, no one else cares.

Personally, I think that part of the piece could have been written better. Since he uses the onion anology, he's just sayin' the obvious. Success in the IPS does not mean success in the EARL. Which sucks less...IPS or @lantics...it's like claiming to be the tallest dwarf. *shrug*

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 02:35 PM
I don't see it any different from Scott Speed doing a year in ARCA. Not every ARCA champion/driver moves up and if Scott Speed can't figure out taxis and ovals neither will he.

To me the knock on IPS is not that people don't move up but the fact that no one of much talent participates in it and those that have moved up for themost part suck.

extramundane
01-23-08, 02:36 PM
There is another side to the Matos coin. Someone has been sponsoring this kid the last couple of years. He's been doing a lot of driving and always with top equipment. He's also been doing a lot of one offs like IPS, Sebring 12-Hours, etc. So, who's forking the bill for that? Maybe this guy/company wanted him to do the Indy 500? Maybe that is the reason behind his decision. Someone has to be paying for his IPS season and Indy 500 campaign. At the end of the day, what do you do take a 1 year CCWS ride with Rocketsport or stay with your long time supporter and do IPS/IRL? This is a no brainer! :cool:

Mazda was behind the ALMS rides. And even in the f-ed up world that is CC, I doubt they're behind his move to AGR.

Sean Malone
01-23-08, 02:38 PM
Champ Car should maintain a combative, competitor attitude towards the IRL and in doing so not allow managers who also handle drivers in the IRL.
This type of behavior is seen throughout the business world.
Unless measure are implemented that helps to thwart the managers plying boths sides this won't be the last time you will see this occur (assuming Champ Car is even around in two months or two years).

STD
01-23-08, 02:52 PM
Shrinking into an ever smaller box has work so well so far, don't you think? :saywhat:

Insomniac
01-23-08, 03:01 PM
CC was in trouble before Matos decided to go to AGR/IPS. I don't know that that move hurts the Atlantics. It shouldn't come as news that $2M doesn't get you a top seat or much, if anything, in way of getting paid. CC isn't the only one in that position. Outside of the top 4 or 5 teams in the IRL, there is also a reliance on Tony Bucks and Ride Buyers. I don't see a mass exodus to IPS, because frankly, those teams don't need a new driver every year.

We've known for a while that a lot of CC drivers needed to bring money to get a seat/keep a seat. It has caused this continuous driver carousel and the naming of seats the day before the first practice. Jani was one of those guys. Now he has found a better deal. The costs in CC are still not low enough for the amount of money sponsors will spend.

STD
01-23-08, 03:26 PM
Insomniac
The costs in CC are still not low enough for the amount of money sponsors will spend.

I know you meant that in a most serious way... but that hit me as the funnest thing I've read on the net this week.
Kind of hits the ole hammer squarely on the head of the nail as well.
No offense meant to the author.

pchall
01-23-08, 04:43 PM
Funny thing is that John John Caponigro is also the agent for Michael Andretti.

Anyway, Matos has chosen and if it is the road to Indy and early career death (think of Buddy Rice), so be it.

eiregosod
01-23-08, 05:04 PM
DOn't let the door hit you on theway out you careerist driver

""I don't have to bring a budget to A1, the racing is good, and it gets excellent coverage. Most people would like to have a go at F1 as well of course, and that's my target as well, but a driver doesn't have to look beyond A1 - you could stay here for your career.""

Spicoli
01-23-08, 05:42 PM
i think he is saying: both series are in the sccchhhhittter, and neither place is guaranteeing anybody anything from year to year unless you are PT driving for Billionaire Unka Gerra, or HcN driving for billionaire RP. This is going to get worser before its gets betterer.

CCWS is pay to play, with the exception of a couple top rides, and the EARL is held hostage by HoMoCo.

Yes, we both suck. We suck bad. Read Leo Maia's word written earlier on CommaWaggen:
Yeah, you guys are right. Rafa should have gone a series where you might get fired when you get your first podium finish... or finish 2nd in the championship for 3 straight years and have to race for free... or dominate the series 4 years in a row before anyone in Europe notices. Ask Nelson Philipe, Simon Paginaud, Ronnie Bremmer, Ryan Dalziel, Mario Domingez, and many, many more if they would switch places with Alex Lloyd... or even Rafa post IPS switch!!

Of course the comma faithful ride him outta town on his comments. :shakehead

Sean Malone
01-23-08, 05:48 PM
i think he is saying: both series are in the sccchhhhittter, and neither place is guaranteeing anybody anything from year to year unless you are PT driving for Billionaire Unka Gerra, or HcN driving for billionaire RP. This is going to get worser before its gets betterer.

CCWS is pay to play, with the exception of a couple top rides, and the EARL is held hostage by HoMoCo.

Yes, we both suck. We suck bad. Read Leo Maia's word written earlier on CommaWaggen:

Of course the comma faithful ride him outta town on his comments. :shakehead

Bourdais got out in the nick of time!!