PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR willing to admit a mistake.

trish
01-23-08, 12:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=newton_david&id=3207561

And to make the proper corrections. Now that's true leadership. Maybe they'll be able to fix things before they lose any more viewers or fans.

Too bad we don't have such people in control of open wheel racing.

manic mechanic
01-23-08, 01:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=newton_david&id=3207561

And to make the proper corrections. Now that's true leadership. Maybe they'll be able to fix things before they lose any more viewers or fans.

Too bad we don't have such people in control of open wheel racing.

I'll give you a "progress report" from race #2... NECKCAR cup is the LEAST fan friendly of any of the major series. I go because I still hold rights to the seats, but I have questioned my logic in keeping those rights for the past few years. :irked:

They won't help the issue until they can get their major personalities to consent to "time with the fans", IMHO; and a "closed garage" certainly doesn't help things.

The "Can Of Trash" is another matter altogether. I'd like it better if they just adopted Grand Am specs and raced those tubs on ovals if that's what they were trying to do, but the new formula is both ugly and slow, and there is already enough of both of those traits in the racing world without propagating the blood line with these POS' .

Ugly, slow race cars are a cancer unless they prove fast.. This one isn't FAST !

manic

pchall
01-23-08, 08:13 AM
"Our interest is to make sure that in the future, we keep changes to a minimum," France said. "We will get where we want to go in this series."

So, having messed up your series and alienated the hardcore fanbase, you're not going to make many more changes and sit on what you have now? And where do you want your series to go, anyhow?

Brian France apparently is no brighter than Tony George.

trish
01-23-08, 08:26 AM
I think he's slighly brighter.

Cam
01-23-08, 08:31 AM

You may be right. :thumbup:

extramundane
01-23-08, 10:04 AM

There's a fine line between "slightly brighter" and "less stupid." Both are pizzling away the legacies their families built up over the years; one's just doing it a lot faster than the other.

Elmo T
01-23-08, 10:19 AM
Banjos?

Methanolandbrats
01-23-08, 10:35 AM
NASCAR is easy to fix. Just paint a confederate flag on the roof of each ****box of Tomorrow and ban all drivers who are not God Fearing White Americans.

eiregosod
01-23-08, 10:53 AM
what a novel concept, thinking about the fans!

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 11:37 AM
The article had more good thinking/quotes from Humpy than Helton or France.

Interestingly though, Humpy talked most about having earlier start times and I never heard anyone say that had anything to do with lower ratings (maybe attendance?). I don't like it but indeed, the networks always move start times back for big ratings event to get even bigger ratings. It helps grap the west coast and more people are generally home late afternoon than mid day.

eiregosod
01-23-08, 01:01 PM
I think NASCAR could includes some of the redneck games into the races.

How about the Daytona 500, the race is split up into two 250 mile races, in the break, thedrivers participate in the Lake Lloyd belly-flop contest , or the drivers have to shoot X amount of targets.

dando
01-23-08, 01:26 PM
Needs more beach volleyball. :gomer:

-Kevin

eiregosod
01-23-08, 01:47 PM
Needs more beach volleyball. :gomer:

-Kevin

would only be fully clothed beach volleyball in theNACSAR infield

trish
01-23-08, 02:32 PM
The article had more good thinking/quotes from Humpy than Helton or France.

Interestingly though, Humpy talked most about having earlier start times and I never heard anyone say that had anything to do with lower ratings (maybe attendance?). I don't like it but indeed, the networks always move start times back for big ratings event to get even bigger ratings. It helps grap the west coast and more people are generally home late afternoon than mid day.

A lot of NASCAR fans (on the forums anyway) have complained about the late start times.

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 02:45 PM
A lot of NASCAR fans (on the forums anyway) have complained about the late start times.

I'll take your word for it and I'm not surprised. As a Giant fan I dislike that they are from the major market and of late been winning in that it means they get way too many Thursday, Sunday and Monday night and 4:00 games. Sucks to go games/staying up that late and I hate waiting all day for the game.

But nevertheless, NASCAR ratings would be even worse if they didn't start those races later.

Ankf00
01-23-08, 03:10 PM
But nevertheless, NASCAR ratings would be even worse if they didn't start those races later. move to another coast, works out smooth for me :) We got a guest room...

Andrew Longman
01-23-08, 04:03 PM
move to another coast, works out smooth for me :) We got a guest room...

No-can-do. I'll get up at 7am for F1, but not 4. And watching NFL football at 10am just doesn't cut it. :)

JT265
01-23-08, 07:01 PM

I have a black spruce stump in the back forty. It's slightly brighter too.