PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Free

KLang
01-21-08, 08:55 AM
One year. :cool: Congrats to myself. :)

Sadly I still have a moment nearly every day that I'd like to have one. :yuck:

Spicoli
01-21-08, 10:12 AM
Keep it up. Best thing you can do for yourself.

doing any cardio?

Indy
01-21-08, 10:28 AM
You and your cardio. All that exercise is going to kill you.

stroker
01-21-08, 11:05 AM
keep it up, Klang. Good on ya. Two or three packs a week saved translates into 2 decent bottles of scotch a month.

:p

Sean Malone
01-21-08, 11:13 AM
Keep it up. Best thing you can do for yourself.

doing any cardio?

I ran to the fridge 10 times during the games yesterday for beer, does that count?

dando
01-21-08, 11:21 AM
One year. :cool: Congrats to myself. :)

Sadly I still have a moment nearly every day that I'd like to have one. :yuck:

:thumbup:

I quit ~2.5 years ago...I've had only one since (after a knock down, drag out with the in-law family on vacation last summer...sisters are mean, yo). It's rare that I have a craving for one, and usually smelling cig smoke makes me gag. *shrug*

-Kevin

dando
01-21-08, 11:23 AM
I ran to the fridge 10 times during the games yesterday for beer, does that count?

Only if you also ran to the bathroom. :) I hope you didn't honk @ anyone while going to the store this time. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

KLang
01-21-08, 11:29 AM
:thumbup:

I quit ~2.5 years ago...I've had only one since (after a knock down, drag out with the in-law family on vacation last summer...sisters are mean, yo). It's rare that I have a craving for one, and usually smelling cig smoke makes me gag. *shrug*

-Kevin

I think it's more of a timing issue. Morning coffee, getting in the car, etc.. It surprises me how strong it can still be after a year. OTOH I acquired those habits over 30+ years.

I can't stand the smell any more. I have several co-workers that smoke and I'm horrified that I used to smell that way. :yuck:

The wife quit about six months before me. We were both a carton a week. Nowadays thats real money.

Sean Malone
01-21-08, 11:35 AM
Smoked Marlboro regulars for 18 years. It was tough after I fisrt quite when I would go out to a bar...drink+smoke = good. But that subsided after a year or so and like klang said, now it just smells bad. I could never imagine starting again. Ever.

Insomniac
01-21-08, 02:28 PM
Congrats to all of you who have quit!

TrueBrit
01-22-08, 11:09 AM
Today is day 22 for me...after 31 years...

The wife quit nine months ago...

KLang
01-22-08, 11:12 AM

Good luck TB!

Which method are you trying?

Sean Malone
01-22-08, 11:51 AM

You got names picked out yet?:D

tllips
01-22-08, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing its a little easier in Illinois now that you can't smoke in public places. You aren't trying to say "NO" while immersed in the temptation.

There is a bar we go to after playing hockey once a week for an hour or so. You would never wear your coat into it because it would take days to get the stench of cigarettes out.

We were there on Jan 3 and the bartender told us that business was dead after the smoking ban. But it sure was nice to walk out without reeking of smoke.

Fast forward to Jan 17 and the bartender said business is better than before the ban, with happier clientele. She used to have a few regulars that would wallow in their misery, drinking booze, smoking a pack a day and bending her ear over their misery. They are gone (Because they can't smoke) and have been replaced by happier people stopping for a couple of pops on their way home from work and meeting a friend for a drink. They don't need to worry about the stench, so they seem more willing to stop by.

As a lifelong non-smoker, I'm sure I can't fathom the difficulty in trying to quit, but I congratulate those that do.

Andrew Longman
01-22-08, 12:35 PM
Keep at it. I know how hard it must be. Both my brothers have quit many times only to start again. Sadly I think they know how they'll die. :shakehead

TrueBrit
01-22-08, 12:37 PM
Good luck TB!

Which method are you trying?

Cold turkey.

Patches gave me a-maaaaaaaaazing dreams...gum taste like ass and I tried pills but they didn't do a damn thing...

Just picked a date and quit...

So far so good...Wife hasn't left me and the house is still in one piece...

KLang
01-22-08, 12:41 PM
Chantix worked for me. Quit on my sixth day of taking the drugs. Haven't gone back yet.

ChampcarShark
01-22-08, 12:53 PM
Congratulations to all who quit smoking.

I never smoked in my life and I suffer from chronic bronchitis. My doctor keeps telling me to quit smoking. But after a close examination of my teeth and my fingers, he keeps quiet for a while.

cameraman
01-22-08, 02:38 PM
The Utah Legislature convened the 2008 session yesterday. (Lord help us all)
Anyway one of the proposed laws will ban smoking inside your car if you have minors in the vehicle with you. Sounds a little tough to enforce in a town where they can not seem to stop people from running red lights but that is for another thread.

Sean Malone
01-22-08, 02:48 PM
The Utah Legislature convened the 2008 session yesterday. (Lord help us all)
Anyway one of the proposed laws will ban smoking inside your car if you have minors in the vehicle with you. Sounds a little tough to enforce in a town where they can not seem to stop people from running red lights but that is for another thread.

So if you have your 18 year old with you the police will have justification to pull you over to check his papers eh, hm ID to see if they are underage or not? Granted, I assume this is geared towards toddlers and babies, but how laws are written can open the door to all kinds of civil liberty restrictions.

High Sided
01-22-08, 03:40 PM
Cold turkey.

Patches gave me a-maaaaaaaaazing dreams...

they did the same to me, i'd wake up thinking the bizare dream really happened.

now cold turkey 2 months

oddlycalm
01-22-08, 03:57 PM
Congratulations to all who have quit :thumbup:

On the bitter irony side of the coin our 36yr old son, who has never smoked a day in his life, recently discovered he has COPD after 18yrs of playing music in bars full of 2nd hand smoke. :(

oc

Cam
01-22-08, 06:46 PM
2 weeks lying in a hospital bed with a morphine trigger will cure all your nicotine pangs. ;)

Spicoli
01-22-08, 07:05 PM

On the bitter irony side of the coin our 36yr old son, who has never smoked a day in his life, recently discovered he has COPD after 18yrs of playing music in bars full of 2nd hand smoke. :(

oc

No SH**? :shakehead

thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Sean Malone
01-22-08, 11:15 PM

oc

:( Sorry to hear that too. From someone basically the same age and who spent a decade playing hard rock in smoky clubs while smoking...and drinking. I'm lucky I still have a liver.

Oh, and I didn't know or would have guessed you had a 36 year old son!!! No wonder you're so smart and wise!!

oddlycalm
01-23-08, 03:36 PM
No SH**? :shakehead

thoughts and prayers for you and yours. Thanks, appreciated, but it's not dire. It's relatively minor and his breathing is still at 87% of predicted. He'll very likely live a good long time but his activity will be limited and he'll probably find himself on oxygen full time in his later years. The Advair bill is $200/month for the duration, so he's lucky to have good insurance.

oc

anait
01-24-08, 12:06 AM
My mom has a spot on her lung that is being monitored; she has never smoked, but worked as a telephone operator...the air in the lounge was blue nearly all the time, always spilled out into the main room.

I smoked a pack a day, but only for a year. Quit cold turkey. But could start again in a minute, the craving is so strong. Can't count the times I've nearly driven to a convenience store on the other side of the city, where no-one would know me. However - history of heart disease, and meds that already increase my heart rate...and a husband who would refuse to kiss me if I tasted like smoke. :D So far, no lapses. :)

Hardpoint
01-24-08, 05:32 PM
Monday was one year without smokes for me. Zyban for a couple months and willpower the rest of the way. I'll crave one a couple times a week, but it's not a big deal.

Quitting sucks, but it was going to happen eventually. At least this way I got to choose the date. :D

grungex
01-25-08, 10:28 PM
Wednesday marked 10 years without a cigarette for me, hardest thing I ever did. Congrats to all who have quit, keep it up!