PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird

Andrew Longman
01-20-08, 01:57 PM
Not the wine... The email

The wife is considering using it. Anyone have an opinion?

dando
01-20-08, 02:00 PM
Not the wine... The email

The wife is considering using it. Anyone have an opinion?

:thumbup:

Use it for my Gmail account. Works like a champ. It comes pre-configged for several popular e-mail sources (Outlook, Hotmail, etc.). I thought there was a thread about it awhile ago. You might wanna do a forum search to find the 411.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13514&highlight=thunderbird

EDIT: oh, and I prefer Mad Dog, yo. :gomer:

http://billyocean.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/mdspread.jpg

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-20-08, 02:44 PM
Thanks

And yes, back in the day I was always a Mad Dog 20-20 man myself :D

IlliniRacer
01-20-08, 05:00 PM
I've been using Thunderbird for several years. Won't go back to anything else.
:thumbup:

Oh, and been a MD guy for several years prior - :tony:

opinionated ow
01-20-08, 05:33 PM
i tried using it at work. its awful!

Rogue Leader
01-21-08, 12:17 AM
I love Thunderbird... been using it for a few years now...

rabbit
01-21-08, 01:29 AM
I couldn't tell you if it works or not. I've never been able to get it to work. I've used Yahoo for my personal email for right about ten years. I always just used the Yahoo interface from its own website. A while back I downloaded Thunderbird just to give it a try. I've never used a separate program such as Outlook, so I didn't have a clue how to set one up. I still have Thunderbird on my computer. But I've never been able to access my Yahoo account. It always says the username and password can't be found.

dando
01-21-08, 11:05 AM
I couldn't tell you if it works or not. I've never been able to get it to work. I've used Yahoo for my personal email for right about ten years. I always just used the Yahoo interface from its own website. A while back I downloaded Thunderbird just to give it a try. I've never used a separate program such as Outlook, so I didn't have a clue how to set one up. I still have Thunderbird on my computer. But I've never been able to access my Yahoo account. It always says the username and password can't be found.

You never got that issue fixed? Here's some 411 I found after a quickie Google:

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_free_yahoo.htm

You might try uninstalling Thunderbird and then download and install a newer version. IIRC, version 2.0 added automagic configuration for popular e-mail site such as Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.

-Kevin

Warlock!
01-21-08, 11:16 AM
I've used it for my main mail program ever since it was with the original Mozillas. To me nothing else rates.

Insomniac
01-21-08, 02:27 PM
I replaced Outlook 2003 with Thunderbird simply because it filtered Junk Mail infinitely better. I miss 2 things. The calendar and having more fields for contacts. I'd say it is lacking in the address book department (and has no calendar, yet.)

Ohhh, and one note, it didn't do the best job of importing e-mails from Outlook 2003. It took the names of people in the From/To/CC fields, but left their e-mail addresses behind. :(

Overall, I think it's a pretty good e-mail client.

RichK
01-21-08, 02:50 PM
I've had it for about 4 or 5 years, and just last month converted myself to Outlook. I was the last holdout at our 60 person company, and finally gave in to M$. :laugh:

The reason I changed: we have an Exchange server, and Thunderbird doesn't work well with Exchange when I'm out of the office. Also, there is no integrated Calendar like with Outlook (I need the Outlook calendar to schedule meetings, etc).

I went to a few Mozilla forums, and they all talked about how Thunderbird is not being developed much further. Mozilla's full effort is being spent on Firefox.

Rogue Leader
01-21-08, 07:08 PM
I have to be honest I do use Outlook as well. My primary E-mail goes through Thunderbird, but I have a separate e-mail address for my PDA which I use outlook for because of the calendar feature. Honestly all my real contacts are on there too. I just hate Outlook anyway though .

I also use outlook at work because we have an exchange server and no other choice....

extramundane
01-21-08, 07:30 PM
I went to a few Mozilla forums, and they all talked about how Thunderbird is not being developed much further. Mozilla's full effort is being spent on Firefox.

Mozilla's been pretty clear that they're not doing much for the corporate world for any of their products, so I suspect that philosophy is the main reason there's been no greater scheduling/calendaring development. Which is a shame, because Sunbird is pretty nice, but I've got zero use for a standalone calendar program. If they'd integrated some more of that into Thunderbird...

jcollins28
01-21-08, 08:59 PM
I use it instead of outlook. No problems with it at all. Oh and back in the day I was a Cisco drinker...

http://www.bumwine.com/bumwine/cisco.jpg

Insomniac
01-21-08, 10:14 PM
Mozilla's been pretty clear that they're not doing much for the corporate world for any of their products, so I suspect that philosophy is the main reason there's been no greater scheduling/calendaring development. Which is a shame, because Sunbird is pretty nice, but I've got zero use for a standalone calendar program. If they'd integrated some more of that into Thunderbird...

They need to integrate it more, but they have Lightning which can run from within Thunderbird. Also, last year they announced plans to invest in improving Thunderbird: http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2007/09/18/mozillas-new-focus-on-thunderbird-and-internet-communications/

ChampcarShark
01-22-08, 01:16 PM
It is a good program, except for the calendar feature. I use it at home for my g-mail. Here at work I can not install it due to restrictions by the administrator.