PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open

TravelGal
01-19-08, 08:11 PM
Anyone watching the prelim rounds? Some of the best tennis I have ever seen in my life. After Safin and then Blake and then Federer, I'm totally exhausted! And we're not even to the quarters yet.

Wonder what the finals will be like? Can't possibly be as gripping as any of those 3 matches. Or can it?

dando
01-19-08, 08:18 PM
Anyone watching the prelim rounds? Some of the best tennis I have ever seen in my life. After Safin and then Blake and then Federer, I'm totally exhausted! And we're not even to the quarters yet.

Wonder what the finals will be like? Can't possibly be as gripping as any of those 3 matches. Or can it?

I used to be an avid tennis follower, but I've lost interest over the years. The finesse is just gone from the game, and the lack of competitive US players (sounds like OW racing, eh?) has buzz killed the sport for me. :( After Sampras-Aggasi, I pretty much lost interest. The last time I really watched it was when Jen Jen made her comeback ~3 years ago. What the heck happened to her after that? :(

EDIT: I did catch a bit of the Roddick match on Fri. Andy just can't seem to break through. :(

-Kevin

opinionated ow
01-19-08, 09:17 PM
the baghdatis v safin game was epic. baghdatis v hewitt didn't finish until 4:30am this morning!

Tony George
01-20-08, 12:57 AM
Some people watch for other reasons. :tony:

http://700wlw.com/cc-common/mlib/1209/01/1209_1200376017.jpg

ferrarigod
01-20-08, 05:06 AM
yesrterday was crazy. stayed up and finished the federer match. could believe when i woke up (4am aussie time) that baghdatis/hewitt were still on, LIVE!!

insanity. love tennis, and the aussie is one of my favs, ESPN does a good job with the highlights, and if i can't watch live, so long as i stay off of tennis websites, i can watch the replays in the afternoon.

go ivanovic!

emjaya
01-20-08, 09:50 AM
Some people watch for other reasons. :tony:

http://700wlw.com/cc-common/mlib/1209/01/1209_1200376017.jpg

Dat's me. I just watch the wimmens. :gomer:

dando
01-25-08, 10:25 AM
Wow. First Nadal and now King R Fed has been dethroned. :eek:

:thumbup: Djokovic

-Kevin

opinionated ow
01-25-08, 10:28 AM
come on tsonger!!!

TrueBrit
01-25-08, 11:03 AM
Dat's me. I just watch the wimmens. :gomer:

Me too..as long as neither one of the Williams brothers wins I'm happy...

Ankf00
01-25-08, 12:04 PM
ana is freaking tall.

and htf did Fedex and Nadal BOTH lose?

Tony George
01-25-08, 01:24 PM
ana is freaking tall.

and htf did Fedex and Nadal BOTH lose?

They scored fewer points than their opponents? :gomer:

Ankf00
01-25-08, 01:37 PM
you truly are Tony George :tony:

dando
01-25-08, 01:51 PM
you truly are Tony George :tony:

No. He's a poser. The real FTG would have to ask for help to come up with an answer. :gomer:

-Kevin

TravelGal
01-25-08, 05:13 PM
I liked that Federer said he had created a monster because everyone thinks he should win every match. So true. Felt sorry for the guy in the post-match interview. Answering all those questions must be like having your teeth pulled--on TV.

Oh, and happy Australia Day to all the Aussie! :) (it's the 26th there now)

Ankf00
01-25-08, 05:16 PM
replay on espn right now, me thinks me shall take a lengthy "lunch" break. :D

coolhand
01-25-08, 05:33 PM
Maria Sharapova vs. Ana Ivanovic

are much better than the Williams Brothers.

High Sided
01-25-08, 05:59 PM
Maria Sharapova vs. Ana Ivanovic

are much better than the Williams Brothers.

hope they go 3 sets tonight

Cam
01-25-08, 07:00 PM

w00t! fireworks outside my balcony. Will posts pics when I can. :D

ferrarigod
01-26-08, 03:00 AM
i cheer for sharapova all the time, but i really wanted ivanovic to win this from the onset, and then especially after the way she came back over hantuchova (which isn't rare for someone to do against DH).

but good to see her getting the #2 on the 28th.

i have no guy to cheer for in the final, but i don't like djokovic, so at least i have someone to cheer against.

emjaya
01-26-08, 04:37 AM

Thank you, T'Gal. :wave: :)

TravelGal
01-27-08, 04:57 AM
Thank you, T'Gal. :wave: :)

Wave back. :) Loved your Google doodle. Loved the runners up too.

back to tennis. I don't have a horse in the men's final either I like the guy who isn't dorkie djokovic

Cam
01-27-08, 06:53 AM

back to tennis. I don't have a horse in the men's final either I like the guy who isn't dorkie djokovic

Oh c'mon M! ;)

opinionated ow
01-27-08, 08:55 AM

unfortunately, he won.....tsonga had the whole crowd on his side (apart from about 50 serbs)

TravelGal
01-27-08, 04:00 PM
unfortunately, he won.....tsonga had the whole crowd on his side (apart from about 50 serbs)

Yeah. Just finished watching the Tivo of it. Tsonga really caved in the second set and it didn't get much better from there. But he didn't do too badly for a guy who's, what? 38th or something, playing #2. TravelGuy says he'll move up to 18 now. And that he earned more money in the Australia open that he had in the entire rest of his tennis career so far.

opinionated ow
01-27-08, 07:45 PM
Yeah. Just finished watching the Tivo of it. Tsonga really caved in the second set and it didn't get much better from there. But he didn't do too badly for a guy who's, what? 38th or something, playing #2. TravelGuy says he'll move up to 18 now. And that he earned more money in the Australia open that he had in the entire rest of his tennis career so far.

he was unseeded for the tournament and had never made a tour final...ever

TravelGal
01-28-08, 02:05 AM
he was unseeded for the tournament and had never made a tour final...ever

Yes, I know. But he was ranked in the world, apparently ???