PDA

View Full Version : Racing Blurbs in the Free City Paper

Sean Malone
01-15-08, 05:17 PM
There is a free city paper that everyone reads out at our smoking area (I don’t smoke but I like hanging with the cool kids). Last week they had a list of the worlds most watched sporting events with the title being something like “there’s a whole world out there”. The writer pointing out that there is more to sports than just America. Kudos to him/her I guess.

Sometimes we Americans think the sports world revolves around North Amer¬ican sports. Not so, according to a London-based media consulting company.
But check out the top 10. It’s not all about us Americans. Apparently there are sporting events outside the U.S.

1. Super Bowl (97 million).
2. F1 Brazilian Grand Prix (78 million).
3. Champions League Soccer Final (72 million).
4. Rugby World Cup final (33 million).
5. 100 meters, World Athletics Championship (24 million).
6. Game 4, World Series (24 million).
7. World Men’s Handball Championship final (23 million).
8. Final day of the Mas¬ters (21 million).
9. Wimbledon men’s final (21 million).
10. Cricket Twenty20 Championship (20 million).

The other racing tidbit they had recently was a season ramp up article about NASCAR. At the end in their ‘stories to watch’ section it asked if Hornish JR and Franchitti are up to the task of life in the “most competitive, high profile race series on the planet”.

NASCAR has succeeded in convincing the US that all other forms of motorsport is a hobby. Sad.

Cam
01-15-08, 06:37 PM
“most competitive, high profile race series on the planet”.

Good grief! Does this rag have a website? I think they deserve some feedback. :rolleyes:

High Sided
01-15-08, 07:07 PM
“there’s a whole world out there”. The writer pointing out that there is more to sports than just America. Kudos to him/her I guess.

2005 most watched sports breakdown, canadian gp gets the racing honors.
http://www.exchange4media.com/e4m/media_matter/matter_010406.asp

Sean O'Gorman
01-15-08, 10:04 PM
NASCAR has succeeded in convincing the US that all other forms of motorsport is a hobby. Sad.

Well, when F1 is the only series where the majority of the drivers are getting paid, they may have a point.